Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Serebii

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is a fucking outrage by the way. £75 for neon joycons but they don't come with neon straps, so you have to spend even more.

I'm still on the fence with Switch mostly because you just know that in 6 months 1-2 Switch will be a pack in game.

The extra joy cons not coming with charging grips is a piss take.

But isn't 6 months extra time with it worth the £30 odd pound?

I always think this when people say they'll wait for a price drop, I just think I'll easily get whatever value owning it well in advance.

Of course I'm still getting it, but they are really taking the piss with some of the peripherals this time around.

People use straps outside of events where you're forced to? The world is a fascinating place.

This article does a decent job of comparing where we are know in terms of Switch knowledge (acknowledging confirmed things and rumours/speculated/leaked things separately) and where we were with the Wii U to indicate some of the recurring issues: http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/17/14260808/nintendo-switch-online-platform-worries

Yeah I posted that YouTube video earlier as a counterpoint to Polygon's doom and gloom. The headline is pure clickbait. "Nintendo are repeating the same mistakes"... except for all the many, many things they've improved on since the Wii U.

Apparently the joy cons are more comfortable with the straps attached. Bit more surface area helps and the shoulder buttons are probably easier to use.

Yeah I posted that YouTube video earlier as a counterpoint to Polygon's doom and gloom. The headline is pure clickbait. "Nintendo are repeating the same mistakes"... except for all the many, many things they've improved on since the Wii U.

Apparently the joy cons are more comfortable with the straps attached. Bit more surface area helps and the shoulder buttons are probably easier to use.

I wouldn't say it's all doom and gloom, it does end with the following after all:

Look, I preordered the Switch. In fact, I preordered it from four different retailers (such is my confidence that Nintendo is capable of properly predicting and, in turn, satisfying retail demand). I’d very much love to be proven wrong here.

It's just pointing out the numerous missteps Nintendo has once again taken.

It's just pointing out the numerous missteps Nintendo has once again taken.

Whilst not mentioning the far more numerous positive steps they've taken. Him saying that he pre-ordered doesn't change the tone of the piece either, I just think a bit of balance would have been far better.

It was an article about the failings, it was designed to look at failures. The clue was in the title.

Obviously it would be good to see ones focusing on the positive too.

Absolute definition of clickbait journalism though, only highlighting things that serve their agenda rather than the numerous positive stories about how Nintendo's philosophy is changing. The info from Capcom yesterday being a great example of this. Sites like Polygon & Kotaku are opinion led clickbait dressed up as fact because of their large readership, they're literally no better than the average YouTuber.

It's very easy to write an article that lists all the bad things about a consumer product. It's far more challenging and interesting to provide a balanced commentary, or at least hint at an opposing view. The headline is 100% clickbait.

Agreed. But of course the negative rants will get more views and views for some equal £££.

surely 100% click bait needs a title like "Ten mistakes nintendo made again! You won't believe number 7!" and then each point spread over one (or two) pages.

Fact is, on the whole, people like simplistic and easy to understand articles. Having a "this is bad... but this is good" article leaves people unsure about whether they should hold the opinion that overall it is pure evil, or if it is the most perfect holy trinket ever contrived.

People seem increasingly binary on issues... or perhaps I am just more aware of it these days and it has always been like this... but maybe that discussion is more suited for another thread?

I won't argue that Polygon does lean towards it but I think you can, and we need, sided articles as long as there is opportunity for discussion around it and the arguement is presented with reasons.

I've tried writing things before and in an effort to 'balance' things just made it boring as fuck. Sometimes you need to pick a side and argue for it and saying "well the other side should have been discussed" doesn't discredit the arguement, it is an incomplete thought. It just always feels like a knee jerk hurt to say "but there's another side and it should have been covered". This kind of topic doesn't have the intellectual (it's not an academic paper) or social (this ain't political commentary) weight to justify needing to try and 'balance'. Balance shouldn't have to come from an author, it should come from discourse. I wouldn't take an article from ONM (when it was still around) and demand they talk about negatives. Go out there and either create a counterpoint or find someone that is.

While it's obvious not as bad as something like Buzzfeed, it's a problem that's indicative of the industry as a whole, being binary means readers will either agree with what's being said or get pissed off, both of which will garner more clicks than reasoned discussion. That's why I just prefer to avoid places like Kotaku and Polygon in favour of forums because at least then you see a balanced viewpoint most of the time.

True, but unlike the last gen consoles, Switch has no hard drive. Im thinking moreso in space than performance.

One upside with "cartridges" is that theiretically, developers can put a writable partition on the cartridge itself.

Personally, I hope that it'll be possible to write patches and DLC onto your Switch cartridges in the future. If nothing else, it'll make retro game collecting way easier in the future.

One upside with "cartridges" is that theiretically, developers can put a writable partition on the cartridge itself.

Personally, I hope that it'll be possible to write patches and DLC onto your Switch cartridges in the future. If nothing else, it'll make retro game collecting way easier in the future.

Switch Game Cards are read only. All save data has to be stored on internal storage/SD Card.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!