Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Serebii

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having spent quite a bit of time with the PS3/4 pads now, they're actually pretty good.

Yeah, the original Nintendo D-Pad design is better and I obviously prefer it, but it's not as big a deal as it seems. :blank:

Would be very weird to see Nintendo drop the traditional style though, we shall see... eventually. :heh:

I haven't used the PS4 controller much but presumably the D-Pad is relatively similar in design to that of the previous Dualshock controllers, which is certainly fine as a D-Pad :smile:

The impression I was getting, though, is that on NX it would essentially be like 4 separate buttons as opposed to one piece of connected plastic.

I bring up the pro-Playstation, anti-Nintendo bias all the time in posts, if you want me to private message you every time it happens, then sure, I will.

And for the record, I reported his bait a little while ago, so I did call attention to it. Given his abuse towards me the other day, "shit stain" I believe it was, how you can let his comment on the last page pass I just can't understand. Had I made a similar "joking" post on the PS4 thread it would have been deleted (like my one moaning about the lack of UI customisation) and I would have probably gotten a warning. All I ask is for a bit of fair and equal treatment, that's all.

I've asked you on numerous occasions to report them directly to me. I have used those words. I have said PM. Many times. I'm not sure how much clearer I can make it to be frank.

And you have no idea what we do behind the scenes. You can't go around saying you're receiving unfair treatment when you don't know how we're infractioning others.

Now can we all play civil please?

I've asked you on numerous occasions to report them directly to me. I have used those words. I have said PM. Many times. I'm not sure how much clearer I can make it to be frank.

And you have no idea what we do behind the scenes. You can't go around saying you're receiving unfair treatment when you don't know how we're infractioning others.

Now can we all play civil please?

Ok I'll PM you every time it happens, consider my recent PM one instance of blatant bias.

Onto what??? Bloody thing still hasnt been announced! :p

At the moment I seem to bounce between actually interested in getting an NX and just curiosity on what it will be. I expect its based on which theory I read that day.

The desired aesthetics of a share button? I don't know. Just something else :heh:

Can someone explain this split d-pad you're all chatting about to me please? I genuinely don't know if I understand the concept. D-Pad on one side and buttons on the other right? Like the left and right of the screen - I don't get why people are talking about alignments and stuff! Did I miss a really obvious image at work or something??

Can someone explain this split d-pad you're all chatting about to me please? I genuinely don't know if I understand the concept. D-Pad on one side and buttons on the other right? Like the left and right of the screen - I don't get why people are talking about alignments and stuff! Did I miss a really obvious image at work or something??

They mean a more PS4 like d-pad, where each button is separate, rather than the traditional Nintendo one which is all joined together.

They mean a more PS4 like d-pad, where each button is separate, rather than the traditional Nintendo one which is all joined together.

Ohhh I see what they mean now! Why are we talking d-pads and not analogue sticks though? Surely we be wanting analogue sticks.

I specifically have always bought 1080p Display/TVs for exactly this reason. I will never go HD Ready/720p. It's silly to limit my capabilities of future technology, imo. The irony is - this is coming from someone who grew up on Nintendo and resultantly is almost absolutely not a graphics nerd(tho I got turned slightly when acquiring a HDTV after owning a 360 for a while).

Exactly. No one (within their right mind) will say no to the option of having their games, movies etc look the best they can to the latest technological standards.

I can keep it pretty damn still. But try and get me to aim at something with a stick and I'll go past it about 4 times before hitting the mark.

So put in a sensitivity option. Turn it down, less waggle. Problem solved.

That reminds me of Resident Evil 4. (Another game that's more fun with motion controls) That game had some of the smartest usage for the pointing feature.

It's really not a problem solved...you're then sacrificing sensitivity for stability.

Nothing about motion controls makes it easier to aim accurately. It's a control method hindered by the unsteadiness of the arm. Are you also someone who would use the Wii wheel in Mario Kart? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's fun to do, it's just not something you would consider as accurate as a pad with a control stick and buttons.

Why not? Isn't storage tech constantly advancing? Aren't certain types of flash memory relatively fast(why it was probably used previously, and why SSDs etc came about). It's just ensuring it's good and appropriate tech. As for the 50gb etc - if they're sticking with carts/flash style then you won't have to worry as it's its own media(tho tbh I think games will be smaller than this). These are the sort of areas we're all so gray on though - and why we probably need more information.

128gb usb stick is ~£30 on eBuyer. atm I don't know if that translates to anything at all relevant but we've still got months for that to reduce and bulk buys to consider on the storage front.

I specifically have always bought 1080p Display/TVs for exactly this reason. I will never go HD Ready/720p. It's silly to limit my capabilities of future technology, imo. The irony is - this is coming from someone who grew up on Nintendo and resultantly is almost absolutely not a graphics nerd(tho I got turned slightly when acquiring a HDTV after owning a 360 for a while).

Boyyyy you best not be shitting me with rumours like that! That's the kind of thing Nintendo definitely need to be doing with this to keep a relevance to certain aspects of the market. If they are then I feel it bodes well for other online features as well.

Storage: Yeah, hope you're right, but this is the one thing that worries me. They gimp the storage then games may not even fit on the thing; another reason to put off 3rd parties and the wider gaming community!

Resolution: For TVs I'm with you, I'm even going to upgrade to 4k when I move. Always want the best, but surely we're all in agreement that battery life is a huge factor here? If 720p screen means a much better battery life, surely that's what's important?

How would people feel about a battery pack. Something that slots on to the controller to extend the battery life if you're aware (sacrificing looks as these things always do)?

Would that be reasonable if the console itself got say 5 hours battery and that added 3? I don't know, how much time do people spend on handhelds? Barely play them myself!

The Dpad thing sounds atrocious... I don't want a ps4 d pad, but this sounds even worse almost 4 operate buttons. It obviously makes the two controller idea work though... The only way i can see it working is if there is a operate controller bundled in, a pro controller for TV play. That would be acceptable.

Also just reading rumours about 32g storage, from Emily Rogers and some others back it up... Reading it made me throw up in my mouth.

Also just reading rumours about 32g storage, from Emily Rogers and some others back it up... Reading it made me throw up in my mouth.

If that's true, I wonder if you could use your exisiting Wii U hard drive with it? Probably not but... ::shrug:

Though if it is primarily a handheld device then 32Gb built-in would make sense, that's what I have in my New 3DS XL I believe and I still have space after loads of VC titles, demo's, video's and full retail titles. :)

If that's true, I wonder if you could use your exisiting Wii U hard drive with it? Probably not but... ::shrug:

Though if it is primarily a handheld device then 32Gb built-in would make sense, that's what I have in my New 3DS XL I believe and I still have space after loads of VC titles, demo's, video's and full retail titles. :)

But if games like Zelda are going on it isn't really like the 3DS. Smash is 20g with dlc and updates. Can't fit much more than that on it, who knows how big the OS will be. Just sounds like a ridiculous error...

Where did you read the rumours about storage? I've only seen those vague ones corroborating the recent rumours.

I remember reading a while ago that the cartridges will have a size limit of 32gb, but I've never heard anything about the size of the storage on the console itself. Could it just be crossed wires and the 32gb refers to the cartridges rather than internal SSD?

Where did you read the rumours about storage? I've only seen those vague ones corroborating the recent rumours.

I remember reading a while ago that the cartridges will have a size limit of 32gb, but I've never heard anything about the size of the storage on the console itself. Could it just be crossed wires and the 32gb refers to the cartridges rather than internal SSD?

Emily Rogers Tweeted it, then someone said they heard the same.

...Nothing about motion controls makes it easier to aim accurately. It's a control method hindered by the unsteadiness of the arm...

I disagree. If the controls are fully customisable then the level of control at which you can set it up as is crazy-good!

On Black Ops on the Wii, I had the controls set up so that I could just swiftly point at an enemy and be as precise as any other control method. The difference was, I could aim at that person more quickly thanks to the pointer.

I had an almost non-existent bounding-box so I didn't need to stray far from the centre of the screen to turn, the sensitivity was perfect, the speed of camera movement was perfect.

The unsteadiness of the arm argument gets me, how are you guys playing these games? Do you hold your hands out whilst pointing?

I sat in my chair, my arms wrested on each leg and only moved with the slightest of twitches from my wrist. It was as stable as can be, pixel bloody perfect.

Of course, the game has to allow you to have PLENTY of control when customising the set-up. The wider the range of parameters, the more finely tuned it can be.

I find it weird anyone would think sticks are better than Pointer sensor. It can't compete for accuracy or the sheer speed of it. Throw in the almost digital analogue sticks of the ps4 and there really is no comparison.

I guess it's what you're used to though!

I disagree. If the controls are fully customisable then the level of control at which you can set it up as is crazy-good!

On Black Ops on the Wii, I had the controls set up so that I could just swiftly point at an enemy and be as precise as any other control method. The difference was, I could aim at that person more quickly thanks to the pointer.

I had an almost non-existent bounding-box so I didn't need to stray far from the centre of the screen to turn, the sensitivity was perfect, the speed of camera movement was perfect.

The unsteadiness of the arm argument gets me, how are you guys playing these games? Do you hold your hands out whilst pointing?

I sat in my chair, my arms wrested on each leg and only moved with the slightest of twitches from my wrist. It was as stable as can be, pixel bloody perfect.

Of course, the game has to allow you to have PLENTY of control when customising the set-up. The wider the range of parameters, the more finely tuned it can be.

Kav is totally right, I recently played through 'Metroid Prime' and I barely moved my hand to aim the pointer. I don't recall having any problems with it at all.

The gyros in the original Wii controller on the other hand are wildly inaccurate but the gyro technology is much improved in products like the Wii U gamepad because its so prevalent in mobile phones so I don't have any worries about Nintendo continuing to implement motion controls.

Emily Rogers Tweeted it, then someone said they heard the same.

Can you link me to a screen grab where she says that or at least to an article that mentions it? I tried to search for it but couldn't find much, just something mentioning that prototypes only had 32gb of internal storage.

I don't really trust Emily Rogers' view on things, I'm not exactly sure what qualifies her to know anything and much of what she has predicted for Nintendo in general has been wrong. It's still interesting to hear rumours though.

If the rumours are accurate though and the prototypes only have 32gb then it's still not totally confirmed that there would only be that much space. I'm assuming they're taking all this info from development kits so it might just be that it's more financially viable for them to include less storage on the dev kits than they would in the final product. Would obviously be disappointing if it turns out to only hold 32gb though, I'd hope that because of the importance they seem to be placing on digital purchase through the My Nintendo system that they'd realise gamers would need a lot more space.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!