Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Serebii

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never suggested we'd seen games that made an NX purchase worth it, especially considering we've seen a grand total of one game for it. Two if you count Just Dance. I suspect there'll be a few games that make it worth it though, which will be a step up from PSVR already.

I would take Ubisoft's statement as "they will re-capture some of the Wii fans that didn't buy the Wii U [or bought and didn't stick around]" rather than it will be their only audience.

And if we're going to bring up PSVR, it has been promised there will be 50 games by the end of the year (so 2 1/2 months). Will be interesting to see if NX keeps a similar pace (including eShop games of course).

How many of those 50 PSVR games will be shovelware that aren't worth the time of day? Or three quid tech demos like that bird flying rubbish

Well if that's the level of maturity you're going to bring to the conversation I'm just going to leave.

And for what it's worth, Eagle Flight (googling a name ain't hard), is exactly the kind of new experience that VR can bring but by all means, call it a tech demo and/or shovelware.

The Wii was new tech and it was full of shovelware, people refer to it often, including this very board. It's not immature to suggest PSVR will be full of similar.

Forgive me for being dubious that those "50 games by the end of the year" will all be quality experiences.

As I said, in my opinion, Eagle Flight looked fun for about 5 minutes, much like a lot of the VR games we've seen so far.

The Wii was new tech and it was full of shovelware, people refer to it often, including this very board. It's not immature to suggest PSVR will be full of similar.

Forgive me for being dubious that those "50 games by the end of the year" will all be quality experiences.

As I said, in my opinion, Eagle Flight looked fun for about 5 minutes, much like a lot of the VR games we've seen so far.

It is literally the definition of immature. We don't know what those 50 titles are right now, thus the ability to be able to say PSVR will be full of shovelware is immature because we don't have enough knowledge to mature the idea one way or another. There will be shovelware of course, but its too early. And when talking about the Wii's shovelwear it's often in discussion to its whole life, not the first 10 weeks.

Actually I think what you said was "three quid tech demos like that bird flying rubbish". Maybe this is another one of those times where you think we know exactly what you're thinking even if it contradicts with what you say? You said "rubbish" but meant "fun [for a limited time]"?

It is literally the definition of immature. We don't know what those 50 titles are right now, thus the ability to be able to say PSVR will be full of shovelware is immature because we don't have enough knowledge to mature the idea one way or another.

I was asking a question FFS!!

How many of those 50 PSVR games will be shovelware ?

And you jump on my back for that??

I agree with Ronnie, if anyone else posted that, no one would care. Just ignore him if you don't agree with him.

Actually I had a very similar discussion with Zechs a while ago in the VR thread, but yes happy to drop it.

the 50 games will likely be made up of games that will be made to support it, Battlefield, battlefront etc

And small download titles that amount to tech demos too. Good quality stuff, sure, but games without enhanced depth

What if NX is like a spotpass Wii U? you have a gamepad, login with your NNID and then you have access to your Nintendo library whenever you are in range of a Nintendo zone? Just thinking of a comment made a few years back:

The tech would even theoretically support extending the GamePad's use well outside the house, say to a local Starbucks, through Wi-Fi.

"Currently the Wi-Fi connection is peer-to-peer-based and using the GamePad outside the home would require a networked connection to the console; this is something that is a possibility for the future but is not in place today," Bekis said.

Latency is a big issue, but they have worked on that when they developed the gamepad. What if they have developed a new gamepad that doesn't need the home console...

Take splatoon... a small segment of the arena is loaded onto the gamepad, players present in that segment are streamed in, as the player moves to a further segment now inaccessible areas are unloaded and the segment of the map being approached is loaded up to the gamepad. give the gamepad plenty of ram and a capable cpu, eseentially the gamepad is running the game with no latency of controls, meanwhile the rest of the game is being run on a remote console, with only relevant data being uploaded as required to the gamepad. This is already done to some extent locally, if internet speeds globally are high enough then there is no reason this "third" pillar couldn't come in - the virtual console. Additionally, a gamepad with high enough specs could conceivably be allowed to access the virtual console, only a valid NNID would allow access to the games, pirating would be made harder as the AI would only have actions transmitted - pirates would be required to build their own AI that acted like Nintendo's - copying the AI themselves would be no more possible than copying the intelligence of a human player (which is to an extent possible).

::shrug: just a thought. Having a traditional NX console in your home would presumably still be possible, just that console could be made far more costly, making purchasing just a gamepad a lower entry point option. (I would hope the gamepad wouldn't be required for the NX home console).

And small download titles that amount to tech demos too. Good quality stuff, sure, but games without enhanced depth

well.. isn't that the whole point of VR... that you actually see the depth being generated by the game engine? ;)

I want both, I can't afford both, it's one or the other but I need to know details of each before I make my decision... but the longer Nintendo hold back and with comments/game announcements like that from Ubisoft, the more difficult it is to not put my order for PSVR down.

Honestly man, I would hold off on the NX for at least 6 months post launch. After the Wii U I'm certainly not going to jump on board without knowing there was some serious support for it (not that I was an early Wii U adopter, but still). The Wii U was also heinously overpriced at launch too, so could happen again.

Likewise I'd hang off on a PSVR until at least a couple of good VR games come out. Nothing I've seen has tempted me, maaaaybe the X-Wing mission in Battlefront, but like Fighter Squadron, I suspect I'll only enjoy that for a few hours and then put it away to gather dust on my shelf.

Honestly man, I would hold off on the NX for at least 6 months post launch. After the Wii U I'm certainly not going to jump on board without knowing there was some serious support for it (not that I was an early Wii U adopter, but still). The Wii U was also heinously overpriced at launch too, so could happen again.

Likewise I'd hang off on a PSVR until at least a couple of good VR games come out. Nothing I've seen has tempted me, maaaaybe the X-Wing mission in Battlefront, but like Fighter Squadron, I suspect I'll only enjoy that for a few hours and then put it away to gather dust on my shelf.

I probably wouldn't buy either immediately, but once I know more about the games coming out on them both as well as features on the NX... although after having used the Rift a few times, VR really does interest me!

We're both right. Better to jump into VR the next revision I reckon.

Well good on you - I just think it's too expensive at the moment for me to jump on board, and they're still figuring out what works on it. The technology also feels like it has a way to go - particularly how the headset has a big wire going from it.

Well good on you - I just think it's too expensive at the moment for me to jump on board, and they're still figuring out what works on it. The technology also feels like it has a way to go - particularly how the headset has a big wire going from it.

Lol oh I wasnt saying you were wrong. More that typical me I've jumped in too early again.

so.. still talking about the red ocean.... :|

The red ocean speak doesn't make sense anymore. If you aren't going head to head with Microsoft and Sony then you will be aiming for the expanded market. This isn't exactly easy pickings like it was during the Wii days. They now have to deal with the mobile/tablet market.

If they decide to skip the expanded audience and other console gamers and only cater to their core fan base, which is shrinking with every generation, then they will probably have another Wii U on their hands.

Reggie mentions that content is what they are interested in, not specs. Wii U has a great library of exclusive games but it didn't do jack to help shift the console. You can have the greatest games on your platform but if you can't sell said platform to the public then it's a wasted effort.

The red ocean speak doesn't make sense anymore. If you aren't going head to head with Microsoft and Sony then you will be aiming for the expanded market. This isn't exactly easy pickings like it was during the Wii days. They now have to deal with the mobile/tablet market.

If they decide to skip the expanded audience and other console gamers and only cater to their core fan base, which is shrinking with every generation, then they will probably have another Wii U on their hands.

Reggie mentions that content is what they are interested in, not specs. Wii U has a great library of exclusive games but it didn't do jack to help shift the console. You can have the greatest games on your platform but if you can't sell said platform to the public then it's a wasted effort.

This doesn't mean it'll have bad specs though.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!