NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Great! And I suggested there would be shortcomings.

But it does help having party chat enabled and lots of users? They were after all the two points you used to illustrate your point. The former has to do with a switch that Nintendo don't want to flick, for whatever reason, and the latter has nothing to do with power.

Yes. It does help. Playing online on Wii U is, to me and others, a maimed service. There's a reason I often reference I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream. That is exactly how I feel when playing online on the Wii U. For all we talk about how Nintendo make great multiplayer games (and they do), the fun and excitement they bring gets sucked out like a vacuum to me as soon as I go online. It's dead. It's empty. It's soulless. They still manage to make games that are fun without it, but could they be improved with it? Hell yes. To me at least and to many others I'm sure.

It's difficult to determine cause and effect. Does the PS4 have a lot of users because the console is a powerful (and up to recently the most powerful) console? Perhaps. Without substantial research neither of us can say, but I come back to another point I made somewhere recently (presume in this thread); by providing power you provide better possibilities for developers. By providing better possibilities for developers you provide a possibility for a greater range of software. By providing a greater range of software you are likely to result in a greater size and depth of audience. So does the power that the PS4 provide result in more users? Not directly. Could it be part of the reason why they have 40 million+ users. I'd say it would be foolish to disqualify it.

Yes it would. If they had a PS4-style console with PS4-style third party support and exclusive Nintendo games...why wouldn't it?

Worked well with the Gamecube didn't it.

Do you genuinely think it came down to just the power under the hood?

Nothing to do with propriety media? Less willingness to encourage third parties (obviously they tried with varying results)? Marketing and branding?

But there is no valid reason on why Nintendo can't branch out and make those games. They could hire western studios to do that.

Sony dropped the team that developed drive club. Codemasters snapped them up. Nintendo could of got there first and got them to develop them a racing game.

Whether the kiddy tag is fair or not is irrelevant when Nintendo won't publish games that could dispel that opinion.

What the hell are you on about? Just two years ago they published and paid for Bayonetta and Devil's Third. They publish mature rated games and push third party games like Zombi U like crazy.

Don't be daft

Where was the PS2/4-like third party support? Where was the PS2/4-like media (DVD) support? Where was the PS2/4-like console design? Where was the PS2/4-like release at the right time (ie. with your competition or before).

If they could actually match what the PS4 did on every front and also have Nintendo exclusives...they'd be laughing.

Edited by Sheikah

Where was the PS2/4-like third party support? Where was the PS2/4-like media (DVD) support? Where was the PS2/4-like console design? Where was the PS2/4-like release at the right time (ie. with your competition or before).

If they could actually match what the PS4 did on every front and also have Nintendo exclusives...they'd be laughing.

Unfortunately they don't have the massive media conglomerate money to throw to grab big exclusives.

Plus, certain third parties have complained many times about not being able to compete with Nintendo's games on Nintendo's formats and so that'd be an issue

Unfortunately they don't have the massive media conglomerate money to throw to grab big exclusives.

Plus, certain third parties have complained many times about not being able to compete with Nintendo's games on Nintendo's formats and so that'd be an issue

People rushed out to buy a PS4 when it didn't really have exclusives. Meanwhile, Nintendo has more exclusives than anyone. More people are buying PS4s to play the big games which aren't even exclusives.

Plus look at how much more buzz Rise of the Tomb Raider has gotten now it's no longer exclusive :heh:

You know very well why the Gamecube struggled in the West, don't pretend.

Not really; it's part of their corporate strategy not to make games specifically aimed at the dominant 18-35 male demographic. Sony and Microsoft aim for that audience whereas Nintendo deliberately aim to make software for a different market. They have often spoken at length at making games for children, with their entire pre-Gamecube talk focused on aiming specifically at children. Hell, the entire philosophy of the Wii to focus on the 'non-gamer' market and to deliberately not compete for the same slice of the market.

Ultimately, I think it's clear that Nintendo don't care about Sony and Microsoft's audience. If they focus heavily on Japanese gamers and family/children friendly software for western audiences, they can carve out their own audience separate to that of Sony and MS.

I think people need to let go of this idea that one day Nintendo will return to where they were with the N64 in terms of western appeal. The Nintendo that we grew up with is no more and the majority of staff have moved on, with the major decision making dominated by the folks in Japan. Instead of thinking about how they could attract the huge 18-35 western markets, their priority should be how to carve out their own sector. Children, families and strong service to their hardcore Nintendo fan base would be a good start.

The question then becomes is the audience you talk of big enough? Iwata said 20 mil Gamecubes sold wasn't enough. We all know the 13 Mil wii u is a bomba.

Just how big do you expect such a audience to be and what do Nintendo expect.

Why do they even need to carve out the niche audience? There is no reason why Nintendo cannot produce hardware and software which appeals to a wide spectrum of gamers irrespective of age and gender.

Once again, Mario kart not having in game party chat has nothing to do with power. Nintendo are not going to expose minors to expletives and obscenities regardless of what's under the hood.

See I take issue with the latter sentiment. Not that they shouldn't protect minors, obviously they should, but Nintendo's own figures put online usage in the under 18s bracket in the minority. There are a multitude of ways to allow adult gamers to enjoy a standard service while doing their utmost to protect children.

Edited by Ashley

Mayhaps it's actually not Nintendo's place to decide what minors are being exposed to....

Mayhaps it's actually not Nintendo's place to decide what minors are being exposed to....

This.

Enough with the nanny treatment

I probably wouldn't have bought a PS4 if the WiiU hadn't been so God damned awful. In a way I'm glad it was though. :D

You've clearly not seen how American parents react to things. They don't take responsibility, they put the responsibility on the head of content providers

I don't agree with Nintendo's stance regarding but just making the point that the Wii U is capable of doing the same stuff as PS4 online but they choose not to.

I'll never understand people who prioritise a console over the games themselves. I don't care about the hardware as long as the games are great. The games are great on Wii U, and far more preferable to me than the equivalents on PS4, so I couldn't care less if it's not as powerful. This obsession with power in the industry just leads to the same type of games being released over and over, just with more detail, better textures etc. Who cares!

Once again, Mario kart not having in game party chat has nothing to do with power.

This, but don't let that stop another dig at Nintendo. PSN (when it works) has lots of users though, whoopee. Never mind that half those numbers probably only play COD and Fifa and nothing else.

Edited by Ronnie

Haven't been following video gaming news in the past week and I can't be arsed to read through this thread for obvious reasons so here's my question:

Any official news on the NX or still complete silence?

Absolutely fuck all dude. Starting to wonder if someone got the release details wrong and we're actually getting news in march, not the console.

My Wii U gamepad lit up the other night for a few moments about the FAST Racing Neo DLC and it got me thinking that it would be hilarious if they briefly flashed up a picture of the NX on the gamepads of a few people :grin:

They could display it long enough to make you jump out of your seat but not long enough to get any pictorial evidence!

I'll never understand people who prioritise a console over the games themselves. I don't care about the hardware as long as the games are great. The games are great on Wii U, and far more preferable to me than the equivalents on PS4, so I couldn't care less if it's not as powerful. This obsession with power in the industry just leads to the same type of games being released over and over, just with more detail, better textures etc. Who cares!

This, but don't let that stop another dig at Nintendo. PSN (when it works) has lots of users though, whoopee. Never mind that half those numbers probably only play COD and Fifa and nothing else.

Nobody stopping you getting to the snes and enjoying all those great games.

Considering the software sales of PS4 games outside fifa and cod I think thats a pretty ridiculous thing to say.

I use my PS4 most days and I honestly can't remember the last time the PSN went down. I can't even remember hearing about any significant outages. But don't let that stop you from having another dig at Sony.

What does it matter what they're playing? It's too easy to have a pop at COD and FIFA. They bring in big numbers for a reason. Supply and demand.