NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

It's true @Ronnie, @Goron_3 is right, you can't gauge hype amongst the general public by referring to gaming websites/forums.

I never suggested the general public were hyped by a codename.

To put it into content, Rockstar's tweet today (the red logo) generated more impressions and reach across social and gaming/tech websites than the NX has managed in almost a month

I'd love to see the statistics for that, were you looking for 'NX' or 'Nintendo NX'? Maybe compare the two when Nintendo tweet an NX logo and nothing else, see which generates more buzz.

I never suggested the general public were hyped by a codename.

I'd love to see the statistics for that, were you looking for 'NX' or 'Nintendo NX'? Maybe compare the two when Nintendo tweet an NX logo and nothing else, see which generates more buzz.

Both.

I'm guessing the Nintendo one would generate more interaction and discussion the NX is a console and RD is a game but your initial post said that there was loads of hype, and that's categorically false. There simply isn't anything to discuss outside of rumours which are few and far apart.

Once again I've removed some posts. Some of it was sent via PM at the same time as posting here anyway.

I'm going to bed because I've got to be up in 6 hours. Hopefully this won't still be being discussed at that point.

And hell, maybe the NX will have been revealed!

I've read (therfore it must be true) that NX was going to be released this Christmas but they held it back to have more games ready. That seems like a catastrophic mistake to me. Surely they'd be better off catching all the Christmas sales and then have some new games available in March for everyone to buy. People generally only buy a couple of games on launch day and if one of them is Zelda that would tide everyone over until March. It has to be revealed either just before or just after the investor's meeting right? Otherwise I'm sticking to my post Christmas reveal and Easter release.

Obviously the NX doesn't have any hype outside of gaming, it hasn't been revealed or officially spoken about in a year. But the fact nintendo haven't said a word in so long and no-one officially knows anything about it, NX does have a huge amount of hype within the gaming community.

Anyways, is this the week? Finally?!?!!

To be fair, loads of rumours are saying this week, the WSJ guy said he's heard it's this week but not directly, so let's see.

There'll be an empty hole in all of us once it's been unveiled.

To be fair, loads of rumours are saying this week, the WSJ guy said he's heard it's this week but not directly, so let's see.

There'll be an empty hole in all of us once it's been unveiled.

People have been saying "This week!" ever since September. Best thing to do is just forget about what anyone says and just go about your daily business until they decide to show it.

People have been saying "This week!" ever since September. Best thing to do is just forget about what anyone says and just go about your daily business until they decide to show it.

At this point it's like saying Christmas will be this week every week and then claiming they were right once it hits December 25th. :P

I've read (therfore it must be true) that NX was going to be released this Christmas but they held it back to have more games ready. That seems like a catastrophic mistake to me. Surely they'd be better off catching all the Christmas sales and then have some new games available in March for everyone to buy. People generally only buy a couple of games on launch day and if one of them is Zelda that would tide everyone over until March. It has to be revealed either just before or just after the investor's meeting right? Otherwise I'm sticking to my post Christmas reveal and Easter release.

I think it's more likely there was a hiccup on the hardware side which caused a delay.

Either way I think Nintendo have to launch with software ready to go. The last two releases were to software barren and that can't happen again. If a delay was down to making sure they had software ready I think that would be the right thing to do.

The best time to sell software is the launch period. People want games for there new consoles so give them options. Why settle for two when you can shift more.

Also you mention Zelda. No guarantee that would even be ready for holiday season.

Edited by liger05

I think it's more likely there was a hiccup on the hardware side which caused a delay.

Either way I think Nintendo have to launch with software ready to go. The last two releases were to software barren and that can't happen again. If a delay was down to making sure they had software ready I think that would be the right thing to do.

The best time to sell software is the launch period. People want games for there new consoles so give them options. Why settle for two when you can shift more.

I thought Kimishima said that it was delayed to make sure they had significant software at launch

What does this "Nintendo aren't relevant" thing that keeps getting trotted out even mean? Pokemon Go, the E3 queues for Zelda, Super Mario Run making a bigger online splash than the PS4 Pro on the same day. As for NX, I suggest you look again, there's a massive amount of hype and anticipation. If no one cared we wouldn't get a new "leak" every other day and Papa John's wouldn't get "NX?" tweets in reply to their monolithic pizza box image.

EDIT: sorry! Didnt see how many people had replied to you already!

I think you may be effected by the echo chamber of the internet. My impression is that culturally Nintendo have had specks of relevance with things like Pokemon go but the wider audience doesn't care what's happening with Nintendo. Most people who are vaguely interested will have their ears prick up when the news comes out but definitely won't wait for it. This is classic Nintendo, get everyone excited and then let the market go stone cold.

Many more people are focused on VR, big PC games like WoW and Overwatch, Youtube, Netflix, the world being SO expensive right now.

Nintendo have a lot of noise to compete against.

I think you may be effected by the echo chamber of the internet. My impression is that culturally Nintendo have had specks of relevance with things like Pokemon go but the wider audience doesn't care what's happening with Nintendo. Most people who are vaguely interested will have their ears prick up when the news comes out but definitely won't wait for it. This is classic Nintendo, get everyone excited and then let the market go stone cold.

Many more people are focused on VR, big PC games like WoW and Overwatch, Youtube, Netflix, the world being SO expensive right now.

I think you've fallen for your own echo chamber thing here. Haven't all sales statistics indicated that VR has fallen rather flat? Not bad, but not amazing at all.

Not sure what Youtube and Netflix have to do with anything? Ditto WoW (really?) or Overwatch. VR maybe, though I think it's very niche culturally speaking and will die down very quickly once the initial buzz subsides and people have their fill of the tech and lacklustre launch games.

The truth is Nintendo have been basically on lockdown for two years and have had nothing to excite the world with, until NX is revealed hopefully. Then of course there are big occasional hits like Pokemon Go, the Super Mario Run reveal (the release could be huge), the Prime Minster of Japan dressing up as Mario for the 2020 Olympics, Zelda stealing the show at E3 + the insane queues for that, not to mention their plans to release animated films, the Universal Studios theme park etc...

They're very fortunate to have IP that anyone in the world would recognise, and that's a very strong position to be in.

They're very fortunate to have IP that anyone in the world would recognise, and that's a very strong position to be in.

It would be strong if it weren't for the major difference between recognition and appreciation. Pretty much everyone knows who Mario is but you'll have a harder time hunting down people who are interested in playing his latest platforming adventure :hmm:

It would be strong if it weren't for the major difference between recognition and appreciation. Pretty much everyone knows who Mario is but you'll have a harder time hunting down people who are interested in playing his latest platforming adventure :hmm:

Considering 20 million people signed up to be notified when Super Mario Run is out, I think there's a fair few interested in playing his latest adventure. It's impossible to argue that Nintendo's catalogue of world recognised IP isn't a good thing. They're in a very fortunate position of having such big names under their umbrella.

I think you've fallen for your own echo chamber thing here. Haven't all sales statistics indicated that VR has fallen rather flat? Not bad, but not amazing at all.

I was referring to general interest and cultural relevance, rather than sales as I was replying to what Ronnie was talking about. VR particularly has been widely covered in the normal media.

Not sure what Youtube and Netflix have to do with anything? Ditto WoW (really?) or Overwatch. VR maybe, though I think it's very niche culturally speaking and will die down very quickly once the initial buzz subsides and people have their fill of the tech and lacklustre launch games.

You were talking about cultural interest. People only have SO much time and money after all and for most, Netflix is a better choice to spend they're money on.

What you've just said about VR being niche is also exactly what everyone has been saying about Nintendo consoles for years.

I was referring to general interest and cultural relevance, rather than sales as I was replying to what Ronnie was talking about. VR particularly has been widely covered in the normal media.

You were talking about cultural interest. People only have SO much time and money after all and for most, Netflix is a better choice to spend they're money on.

What you've just said about VR being niche is also exactly what everyone has been saying about Nintendo consoles for years.

People have been calling Nintendo consoles niche? I wasn't aware of that, especially given the Wii sold 100 million, the DS sold 150 million and the 3DS 60+ million.

As has been Pokémon GO, Super Mario Run and even talk of NX

Considering 20 million people signed up to be notified when Super Mario Run is out, I think there's a fair few interested in playing his latest adventure. It's impossible to argue that Nintendo's catalogue of world recognised IP isn't a good thing. They're in a very fortunate position of having such big names under their umbrella.

I'm not saying recognition is a bad thing and it's great to see so many interested in Mario's official mobile debut (I suspect those numbers may drop when Nintendo set a price :heh:) but transferring that enthusiasm over to investing in something like Mario Galaxy 3 and Nintendo's new hardware is the challenge.