NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I use my PS4 most days and I honestly can't remember the last time the PSN went down. I can't even remember hearing about any significant outages. But don't let that stop you from having another dig at Sony.

To be fair, PSN went down yesterday because the amount of people playing the Infinite Warfare beta exceeded expectations.

Still, it was the first time in quite a long time and it has been resolved in a matter of minutes.

I'd welcome a Nintendo Network outage if a huge seller was the reason ::shrug:

To be fair, PSN went down yesterday because the amount of people playing the Infinite Warfare beta exceeded expectations.

Still, it was the first time in quite a long time and it has been resolved in a matter of minutes.

I'd welcome a Nintendo Network outage if a huge seller was the reason ::shrug:

Really? I was on it quite a bit yesterday and didn't notice anything.

Oh well, I'll take a service that trips over once in a while over something that had no legs to begin with.

Really? I was on it quite a bit yesterday and didn't notice anything.

Since I was part of the problem I can tell you: It was down for aprox 2 minutes, so nothing really ::shrug:

You've clearly not seen how American parents react to things. They don't take responsibility, they put the responsibility on the head of content providers

Then why do Sony and Microsoft (and I'm including Minecraft in with the latter, a hugely popular game with kids) not prevent them? The "please somebody think of the kids!" argument is quite thin on the ground and not doing anything is not the same as trying to resolve it. To say "parents don't take responsibility" is to not take responsibility of the debate IMO, it's a get out clause.

I don't agree with Nintendo's stance regarding but just making the point that the Wii U is capable of doing the same stuff as PS4 online but they choose not to.

I do wonder, and have no way of knowing, if they could just do it if they choose. AFAIK they don't have streaming built in because the Wii U can't handle it in the same way the One/PS4 can (in spite of Reggie saying it's not there because "it's not fun"). I wonder if there is some technical reason why the Wii U doesn't have voice chat at an OS level. Probably not, but then becomes a bit of a pants argument ("we don't have it because we don't want it", which is effectively what the Splatoon director said about that game).

I'll never understand people who prioritise a console over the games themselves. I don't care about the hardware as long as the games are great.

I do more with my consoles than just play games, so that might be why some people prioritise a console over games. Heck, weren't you criticising the PS4 Pro for not having UHD and saying people would choose the One S/Scorpio? Same thing - some people get consoles for more than just games.

The games are great on Wii U, and far more preferable to me than the equivalents on PS4, so I couldn't care less if it's not as powerful. This obsession with power in the industry just leads to the same type of games being released over and over, just with more detail, better textures etc. Who cares!

"I prefer the Wii U because [reasons]" - great, you have a personal preference and the Wii U meets that.

"Who cares [about more power]" - maybe other people who have other personal preferences? If I were to say to you "you like the Wii U's games who cares! I want power" would that have been satisfactory?

For what it's worth I don't want power just for nicer graphics (the last games I played were Virginia, Firewatch and Overcooked after all), but for what opportunities they provide (NMS is a good example of what more power can provide outside of graphics).

a system's power does more than just give it nice graphics

This, but don't let that stop another dig at Nintendo. PSN (when it works) has lots of users though, whoopee. Never mind that half those numbers probably only play COD and Fifa and nothing else.

My comments weren't a dig at Nintendo. I was responding to the point that "Mario kart couldn't have been any better on a PS4". Yeah I missed that he was talking about power and that is on me, but I still tried to argue how power does have a direct (OS-level online services) and indirect (increased membership) affect. I tried to argue my points. I tried to engage in the debate. I didn't just run away for a while.

I never said it should have been on the PS4 or that it would (just could) have been better on the PS4. I was engaging in a discussion. Had you said something like "in what ways is it better for being on the Wii U then it would have hypothetically been on the PS4" then I would have discussed that too (Nintendo know their own hardware so push it harder, without having to pay a % of eShop listings [like 3rd parties do and like Nintendo would have to on PS4] they can get DLC out for a lower price etc).

PSN does go down. We've all said it. We know it to be true. I'd appreciate if you want to keep pushing that as this huge negative about the console you could quantify it. Drahkon posted it was down for 2 minutes the other day so yes it was down but when it comes down to 0.1% of the day it's unlikely to have a great impact. PSN for quite a while was unreliable. In part because the service wasn't ample, but also because at times it was directly attacked (along with Xbox Live). Now I've not been paying much attention but it seems that this has become less of a recurring issue, suggesting either Sony/Microsoft have protected their services better or the DDOSers have moved on.

Even if half of all PS Plus subscribers play just COD and Fifa (highly unlikely but I'm happy to be proven wrong if you wish to provide evidence rather than arm-throwing statements) that leaves 10 million+ people who have an active PS Plus subscription. That is nearly as many as Wii U consoles sold, and without Nintendo releasing specific figures about online usage I'm going to have to guess that it is unlikely 100% of Wii U owners play online games.

I tried to explain my reasons and engage in a discussion. You disagree and that's fine. I'm happy to debate if you wish to back up your existing points more (with more evidence) or simply go along a different line of conversation. If not I'm happy to leave it here. Each their own.

You've clearly not seen how American parents react to things. They don't take responsibility, they put the responsibility on the head of content providers

I am American....

I am American....

Then how have you not seen it? Helen Lovejoy is a stereotype for a reason :p

Relying on stereotypes to form opinions about how others act can be harmful

Relying on stereotypes to form opinions about how others act can be harmful

You just have to see the news, see how the FCC works, see how the PTC reacts to everything. Come on.

Well, not surprised to be honest. ::shrug:

5+ months to release so any day now.

Edited by Ike

Those are small but vocal groups but you seemed to be suggesting nothing 'controversial' can be done because of this, when in fact it can be used against them.

I wasn't saying there is nobody like that. I was saying that Nintendo shouldn't not try because of them. Giving in to pressure groups is not a good way to progress.

Plus I was amused by Nolan's response.

I'll never understand people who prioritise a console over the games themselves. I don't care about the hardware as long as the games are great. The games are great on Wii U, and far more preferable to me than the equivalents on PS4, so I couldn't care less if it's not as powerful. This obsession with power in the industry just leads to the same type of games being released over and over, just with more detail, better textures etc. Who cares!

This, but don't let that stop another dig at Nintendo. PSN (when it works) has lots of users though, whoopee. Never mind that half those numbers probably only play COD and Fifa and nothing else.

You do realise that more than half of Wii U owners all own Mario Kart 8, a graphically spruced up sequel that offers very little new to the series, while it's something like a quarter of PS4 owners own Black Ops 3?

You make it sound like other consoles just make the same games with prettier graphics/more power (when this is actually pretty much what Nintendo do with over 80% of their games) and that they only buy the other consoles to play one or two games (when in actual fact, Nintendo has some of the biggest sellers that most people with the console seem to buy).

I agree it needs to be a competitive price but not if it causes damage in the long run. Either way, they've certain got an uphill battle with the NX, in terms of both price ( due to how their competitors are placed ) and how people perceive them.

Again - what if their current/recent strategies(ie the Wii U) are already causing damage in the long run? I feel like legacies are too often overlooked when it comes to people looking at/discussing new systems. The reason they've got the uphill isn't just the NX being a new product, it's also to do with the foundations laid for it by what's come before.

Wouldn't work like that and you know it :(

What a delighfully well constructed counter-argument there. Seriously, I'd have thought you'd have learn to elaborate in your posts after the recent issue. Exactly WHY wouldn't it work? Again I know we're not representative but just look at how many people here started with a Wii U then later got a PS4 because they just weren't getting enough of their gaming fix. You think they'd have bothered moving on to PS4 if they were getting all those experiences plus what they were getting on their Wii U??

I think what you meant to say was "sorry for talking shit".

5+ months to release so any day now. If you loved that godawful PS4 Pro event, which I believe you somehow did, the NX one should be incredible by comparison.

You know, the first sentence was more than enough.

The rest is your usual, petty point-scoring. Can't believe you're still allowed to post in here.

The problem Nintendo have allowed themselves to get caught up in is that there are so many rumours, PS4 power, portable, voice chat etc, that when they do announce the NX it is going to feel like a letdown because it simply can't have all the things that have been leaked/rumoured. I think it will end up being a Wii U 2.0 and that is going to feel like a kick in the guts after waiting for so long.

They really need to sell this as their next handheld but with the added benefit of being able to play at home and capitalise on the their portable fan base. I fear if they market it as a home console that you can take with you, then unless it is a sweet piece of hardware they are looking at Wii U numbers.

Bottom line is I feel the damage is already done to an extent and even if they reveal it tomorrow it's too late to prevent the negative comparisons against what the rumours have lead us to believe.

You know, the first sentence was more than enough.

The rest is your usual, petty point-scoring. Can't believe you're still allowed to post in here.

I can't believe you thought it was a good and acceptable idea to set up a thread and ban certain members from posting in it, but there we go.

If you feel that strongly hit ignore, and don't worry yourself with what @Ronnie has to say. No one is forcing you to respond so resist the urge, simple!

5+ months to release so any day now. If you loved that godawful PS4 Pro event, which I believe you somehow did, the NX one should be incredible by comparison.

Most of that 5 months will be jam packed with the clamour of new releases around xmas. Honestly, the sensible time I see for Nintendo to announce would now be late Feb, after the xmas hubbub has died down. And that's why I'm now expecting a release being delayed to later in 2017.

And as an aside, you need to chill big time. It's a forum, you should have got used to people liking different things to you a long time ago. You don't need to go digging your heels in and derailing this thread all the time. What youve just said to drahkon was completely unprovoked. I have no idea why you're being like that.

EDIT: well apparently not directly unrpovoked but still. I dont think I know what thats about.

Edited by Jamba

I can't believe you thought it was a good and acceptable idea to set up a thread and ban certain members from posting in it, but there we go.

Well, I never asked for certain members to be banned from posting in the thread you speak of. I just encouraged them not to visit it because they would most likely not enjoy what was posted there. Huge difference. (and as we all know even that didn't change anything).

If you feel that strongly hit ignore, and don't worry yourself with what @Ronnie has to say. No one is forcing you to respond so resist the urge, simple!

You know what? I refrain from ignoring members because I like to read and respond to what others have to say. This is a forum where people can discuss things after all.

The "discussion" between Jamba and me was done. Ronnie entered with useful information but added bait (yes, I said it). I's not the first time and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks that way.

Quite frankly, I don't give damn that I'm derailing this thread now. Ronnie's behaviour annoying and clearly something should've been done about it weeks ago. I think this place is better of if Ronnie is banned. And since he's still here I have a right to call him out on every provocation that has no reason to be in this thread.

I've reported numerous posts but sometimes I want to post something "publicly" about this. And this is one of those times.

Edit: And adding to the following:

No one is forcing you to respond so resist the urge, simple!

Why am I the only one being told to resist the urge? Why don't you tell Ronnie to resist the urge to post something completely irrelevant to what was being talked about?

Edited by drahkon

I wasn't though.

You said Nolan clearly hadn't seen how American parents react to things when he is an American. How more wrong can you be?

This was an unnecessary and somewhat condescending/passive agressive post. The reason that topic was setup was because certain individuals in here begin shitposting whenever negative opinions are posted about Nintendo. It's not a simple case of ignoring people since other people still respond to the problem posts and the discussion tends to derail.

And generally speaking, through lack of Ronnie, the other thread actually works.

Edited by Sheikah

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who thinks that way.

You're definitely not.

Ronnie's behaviour annoying and clearly something should've been done about it weeks ago.

Months if not years. He was only overshadowed by Wii, who I don't actually think was that bad.

I think this place is better of if Ronnie is banned.

You said Nolan clearly hadn't seen how American parents react to things when he is an American. How more wrong can you be?

He was wrong, but I wouldn't call it talking shit perse. And frankly I found his response to be in a sheepish "my bad" manner with an acceptable joke.

This thread is the greatest worstest. :love:

Still arguments and no news.........

He was wrong, but I wouldn't call it talking shit perse. And frankly I found his response to be in a sheepish "my bad" manner with an acceptable joke.

This thread is the greatest worstest. :love:

It was the best of times

It was the Blurst of times

Continuing serebii's simpsons references