NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I'm not saying recognition is a bad thing and it's great to see so many interested in Mario's official mobile debut (I suspect those numbers may drop when Nintendo set a price :heh:) but transferring that enthusiasm over to investing in something like Mario Galaxy 3 and Nintendo's new hardware is the challenge.

Absolutely. All I was saying is that they have well known IP at their disposal, and it's a strong foundation to have.

Oh nobody is doubting they have an incredible and enviable portfolio of IPs. Everyone is just surprised it took them this long to pimp them out! ;)

Absolutely. All I was saying is that they have well known IP at their disposal, and it's a strong foundation to have.

It certainly is a strong foundation, but also one that is shrinking. That foundation didn't help the WiiU and, whereas 60m+ sales are good, didn't bode as well for 3DS than it did for the DS.

We all know die-hard Nintendo fans will flock to the NX but how many die-hard Nintendo fans are left? 10 million maybe..?

I think a hybrid has the best chance of selling most consoles for Nintendo than a separate handheld and home console would. I'm looking forward to the reveal and seeing if they can recapture lost gamers.

I'm still hoping they do!

The thing is...Sonic also has a fucking strong recognition factor, but it doesn't really mean much for dedicated console gamers. Unless Nintendo can make their games relevant and not just mostly retreading old ground then they are going to have an uphill struggle with the NX.

It's only one metric but this is interesting: https://www.google.co.uk/trends/explore?date=today%2012-m&q=NX,Nintendo%20NX,VR,Virtual%20Reality

NX, Nintendo NX and Virtual Reality are all on par but VR is much greater.

Plus look at Venezuela! The only blue bless it.

Be interesting to look again the week NX releases and compare the two then. Or perhaps the day Nintendo actually announce what NX is... in 2019??

The thing is...Sonic also has a fucking strong recognition factor, but it doesn't really mean much for dedicated console gamers. Unless Nintendo can make their games relevant and not just mostly retreading old ground then they are going to have an uphill struggle with the NX.

Sonic is a bit of a joke though in the industry. Their games these days are synonymous with shit, whereas Mario has always been top quality if nothing else. But for sure the point still stands, at least Sega has something, they just mess around with their one big IP.

Edited by Ronnie
Automerged Doublepost

We all know die-hard Nintendo fans will flock to the NX but how many die-hard Nintendo fans are left? 10 million maybe..?

I think a hybrid has the best chance of selling most consoles for Nintendo than a separate handheld and home console would. I'm looking forward to the reveal and seeing if they can recapture lost gamers.

I'm still hoping they do!

That's certainly one of my concerns. Again, echo chambers and whatnot but think of how many people here got a WiiU on launch(or even got a WiiU at all) and ask if they'd still buy on launch or even think they'll commit to the system? Whilst I didn't get a Wii U on launch I knew I would eventually - I genuinely don't know how I feel about the NX now though and I can't say it's something that I'm thinking I'll definitely be getting. Of course that, again, is not helped by the fact we don't have anything official.

More hints at Beyond Good and Evil 2's NX exclusivity and some details about the game itself...

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/10/report-new-beyond-good-evil-to-be-a-2018-semi-reboot-not-full-sequel/

In the wake of the news that a new Beyond Good & Evil game is in pre-development at Ubisoft with Michel Ancel heading up the project, Let’s Play Video Games has learned of a few details regarding the planned direction of the much-anticipated new entry in the franchise.

As many have noted since Ancel’s Instagram reveal for the game, neither Ubisoft or Ancel are referring to the game as Beyond Good & Evil 2. Lets Play Video Games has been informed by a source familiar with negotiations on the project that the game is planned to be more of a standalone reboot than a traditional sequel.

According to our source, the currently planned direction for the game is that it will partially retell Jade’s origin tale from Beyond Good & Evil, flesh out Peyj’s backstory, then continue to extrapolate on the ending of the original game. The intention is that players who have not played the original will be able to jump into the new game, which will feature a subtitle rather than a number at the end of its title, and understand both who Jade is and what drives Pey’j. It also seeks to provide closure to fans of the original wondering what the cliffhanger at the end meant for the series’ ongoing plot.

While many existing fans of the series may be upset about the new game not being a direct sequel, the idea of modernising the original tale and fleshing out the world while continuing the story beyond where it once ended offers the series a better chance of an ongoing life than it previously had.

Additionally, we have learned from a separate source that there are plans for a new CG trailer for the game to be shown alongside the NX reveal. Much like the 2008 trailer, this is planned to be a tone piece rather than a plot or gameplay reveal, and will be used to announce its NX exclusivity. The game is currently aiming for a Summer 2018 release window, according to sources at Ubisoft.

Given that this is an Ubisoft leak, it's probably true since they always leak like sieves (they were also the source of every single Project Cafe/Wii U leak that ever came out BTW, so any NX leaks would naturally come from them...). It also sort of implies that the NX is further away than March... (I mean, it could well just be a very early reveal, but that's not Nintendo's usual style. It could well be like the Wii U's "Emergency Direct" that happened in January 2013, but that's the exception, not the norm.)

Edited by Dcubed

Urgh CG trailer.

That's a very strange decision to go with for the game.

I believe it's a continuation of the series that people have been calling out for. Remaking the first, clarifying everything and giving closure to the ending of the game sounds like the series doesn't have a future. Instead Beyond Good and Evil is being wrapped up in one tight package.

Urgh CG trailer.

That's a very strange decision to go with for the game.

Given that the game is supposedly in "pre-production", it makes sense that they'd put out a CG trailer. Also, it's kinda Ubisoft's thing. They don't usually do honest (i.e non-bullshot) in-game trailers for game reveals for their non-2D titles and haven't done for some time.

I believe it's a continuation of the series that people have been calling out for. Remaking the first, clarifying everything and giving closure to the ending of the game sounds like the series doesn't have a future. Instead Beyond Good and Evil is being wrapped up in one tight package.

Well that's exactly it. The game was announced and subsequently cancelled originally, it had no future at all. The only reason this game now exists again is because Nintendo is footing the bill to revive it; just like what they did with Bayonetta 2 and Devil's Third (Which should mean no betrayalton this time either!). So this is their opportunity to provide closure while someone else is taking on the project's risk and before they get taken over by Vivendi (though if the game somehow magically became a breakout success, I'm sure Ubisoft/Vivendi would be quick to pump out sequels :heh: )

Edited by Dcubed

@Dcubed where's the confirmation this is NX exclusive and Nintendo funded ala Bayonetta 2?

I never said "confirmation", I said that it's a hint. It's a rumour that has been going for some time now (corroborated by the fact that Ubisoft tried to get the site to take down their report on it), long before Ubisoft re-announced the game a couple of weeks ago.

The part about Nintendo funding it comes from the initial rumours and some educated guesses (given that reviving cancelled 3rd party projects in exchange for exclusivity is Nintendo's MO right now and given Nintendo's relationship with Ubisoft, it's not a stretch to assume that's what's happening here too).

Yeah I know all that about the game. I'm just surprised by the latest rumour. I assumed it would be a [Nintendo backed] sequel. We've already had an HD port of the game to get it into peoples consciousness and a reason to play it again. Adding a few story elements doesn't seem to hold much worth. Use a sequel to explain the open ending instead.

They did it with Bayonetta 2. A 'definitive edition' doesn't seem to hold the same faith in the franchise, or in fact, value.

It would go from a must buy sequel, to a 'well maybe I'll pick it up when it's cheap'.

...Well that's exactly it. The game was announced and subsequently cancelled originally, it had no future at all. The only reason this game now exists again is because Nintendo is footing the bill to revive it; just like what they did with Bayonetta 2 and Devil's Third (Which should mean no betrayalton this time either!). So this is their opportunity to provide closure while someone else is taking on the project's risk and before they get taken over by Vivendi (though if the game somehow magically became a breakout success, I'm sure Ubisoft/Vivendi would be quick to pump out sequels :heh: )

I figured it must have been confirmed as you sounded quite certain here..? I didn't realise you were meaning if Nintendo are footing the bill.

Is the general assumption that they are going to drop the reveal at very short notice? I don't get this logic, surely they would want to announce the reveal weeks before to create some awareness.

This wall of silence doesn't sit right me, I can't help feeling that the reveal is way off or they are desperately trying but are having problems of some kind. Otherwise, surely they would give some information by now.

They made an interesting point on the EZA Podcast the other day.

I'd always assumed I would buy an NX because I want to play Breath of the Wild's definitive version.

But what if the Wii U one is the definitive version, because the NX could possibly be predominantly a handheld, or games played between the two scale and up-res in some way that leads to a compromise. We've heard rumours about the specs of the NX that would seemingly debunk this concern... but at this stage, anything's really a possibility.

Did Bayonetta 2 sell well in the end?

38k first week in Japan which bombed hard.

Don't think western numbers were confirmed but from what I remember it wasn't high on the NPD chart a month after release.

Did Bayonetta 2 sell well in the end?

Some sources say it broke a million units, but I couldonly find that on VGChartz so take from that what you will

Some sources say it broke a million units, but I couldonly find that on VGChartz so take from that what you will

They make up stuff.

Bayonetta 2 was a game with different intent however, just as BG&E2 would be.

They're [good will] games that show you're serious about your console and care about the fan base.

Shame it was pretty much the only example we got on the Wii U. F-Zero... still waiting.

Now I'm kinda curious as to how well it did.

Especially after Smash, I'm sure that got a few more copies sold.

Emily rogers is saying the next 2 weeks are going to be fine, retweeted her "October reveal" tweet with a smiley! So it's probably happening.

Emily rogers is saying the next 2 weeks are going to be fine, retweeted her "October reveal" tweet with a smiley! So it's probably happening.

Many are speculating a reveal this week with press hands on next week. Time will tell...

At least the investor meeting is next week. We'll get something from that, for better or worse.

Many are speculating a reveal this week with press hands on next week. Time will tell...

At least the investor meeting is next week. We'll get something from that, for better or worse.

She wouldn't be this confident if she didn't know. I'm convinced this is the week!

She wouldn't be this confident if she didn't know. I'm convinced this is the week!

Still waiting for Mother 3 though...