NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

The guy is talking nonsense. No way will it run in 1440p on the TV. Not only would it be a huge waste of resources (it would provide a minimal benefit that would only really be visible on 4K displays), it also isn't feasible given the power bracket that Switch lies within (this thing aint gonna be more powerful than a standard PS4).

720p on handheld, 1080p on console is the best case scenario.

This just happened

Ready for adventure?...

OMG A CAPTAIN TOAD SEQUEL!!!!!

...Prepare for the journey ahead at our updated #DragonQuest VIII website!

:blank:

4K..? No, surely not?

[tweet]811877626059124736[/tweet]

For gaming? Probably not. For media capabilities, sure

This just happened

I'd dare suspect something rather opposite for @Hero\-of\-Time :p

Bodes well...

NES Classic, Switch, and Mario grew Nintendo’s search volume to 3 times the size of PlayStation’s

Nintendo is capitalizing on its brand, and it is starting to pull away from PlayStation and Xbox in terms of consumer mindshare.

Search volume for Nintendo-related terms grew to triple the size of PlayStation- or Xbox-related searches, according to internet-data firm SimilarWeb. New products and announcements were responsible for most of this growth. Interest in*Pokémon was a significant contributor as fans returned to the series following the*release of*Pokémon Go in the summer. But the publisher saw its biggest spike in search volume starting in October following the announcement of the Nintendo Switch hybrid home/handheld console, which is due out in March.

Nintendo’s buzz only grew in November as the company released the NES Classic Edition throwback console and Super Mario Run for iOS devices.

“The growth in Nintendo’s search traffic over 2016 is so big that when comparing its search traffic in November 2016 to January 2016, it multiplied its search traffic by [a factor of] 60,” reads a SimilarWeb report provided to GamesBeat.

search-volume-768x392.jpg

For this data, SimilarWeb only included search terms related to console products from Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. So if the term had more to do with a game, controller, or other accessory — like “Pikachu” or “DualShock4” — then those searches did not count toward this total.

But in identifying the keywords, SimilarWeb found one of the major reasons for the growth in buzz for Nintendo products: It has multiplied the number of terms that people are searching for in the last couple of months.

“In January 2016, we were able to identify a total of 39 keywords generating traffic for these brands,” reads the SimilarWeb report. “Nintendo had 6, Xbox had 16, and PlayStation had 17. While in November 2016, we were able to identify 183 of such*keywords. [And then], Nintendo had 101, Xbox had 30, and PlayStation had 52.”

People are searching for far more Nintendo-related terms than either of the other major console brands.

So Nintendo is blanketing the market with a variety of products, and that is starting to pay off in terms of attention from gamers.*And this only includes searches related to the consoles themselves.

Nintendo has also started growing its merchandising and licensing division to create more consumer products that appeal to nostalgic fans. That includes fashion items like Van shoes*and hygiene tools like*Mario-shaped electric toothbrushes.

In 2017, Nintendo will likely continue attempt to fuel this momentum heading into the launch of the Switch and beyond all the way to the opening of the Nintendo attractions at Universal Studios theme parks in 2018 and 2019.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/12/21/nes-classic-switch-and-mario-grew-nintendos-search-volume-to-3-times-the-size-of-playstations/

Takashi Mochizuki's tweets completely go against what Eurogamer stated and both are quite respected and have been right about Switch details in the past so it's quite odd that one of them will be wrong. Takashi's tweets tie in with the supposed Foxconn leak from about a month ago, but 1440p output on TV is just pointless and weird.

I'm just going to wait for Nintendo to reveal stuff since I'm fed up with all these conflicting rumours

What would you guys prefer, and why, if you could choose between the following two options:

1. Switch will display 1080p in undocked/portable mode, battery will last 3 hours when actively used

2. Switch will display 720p in undocked/portable mode, battery will last 8 hours when actively used

I'm especialy curious why you prefer one above the other :)

DEFINITELY option 2, give me more battery life any day over more pixels. Even at 720p the Switch will have a higher pixels-per-inch than PS Vita, which itself looks pretty great anyway.

If the difference is only in resolution then I'd choose the improved battery life every time, but if it's a weigh up between having the same, smooth gameplay experience on portable as when docked then I'd be happy to take a hit to battery life to ensure it performs the same but I don't care about raw resolution, as Ronnie says it'll probably be impossible to tell the difference on such a small screen anyway.

Battery no doubt about it.

720p for a handheld is fine. I jus hope Nintendo mandates that it must be 720p and we don't get sub native resolutions.

What would you guys prefer, and why, if you could choose between the following two options:

1. Switch will display 1080p in undocked/portable mode, battery will last 3 hours when actively used

2. Switch will display 720p in undocked/portable mode, battery will last 8 hours when actively used

I'm especialy curious why you prefer one above the other :)

1080p. I'd play it plugged in.

720p is good though.

Battery no doubt about it.

720p for a handheld is fine. I jus hope Nintendo mandates that it must be 720p and we don't get sub native resolutions.

Yeah that's a good point actually. The Vita had a problem with games not being displayed in native resolution. Now I am guessing developers went sub native as the machine struggled when running games at native.

The NX shouldn't have that problem. Should be more than enough power to run all games in 720p

If the difference is only in resolution then I'd choose the improved battery life every time, but if it's a weigh up between having the same, smooth gameplay experience on portable as when docked then I'd be happy to take a hit to battery life to ensure it performs the same but I don't care about raw resolution, as Ronnie says it'll probably be impossible to tell the difference on such a small screen anyway.

Interesting answer, I can obviously use it to make the choice more extreme, like:

1. Switch will display 1080p, 60 fps in undocked/portable mode, battery will last 2 hours when actively used

2. Switch will display 720p, 30 fps in undocked/portable mode, battery will last 12 hours when actively used

Obviously I can adjust this forever, so maybe the bigger question is: where do you draw the line graphical output - performance - battery life? What are your priorities/preferences when you have to choose?

I prefer smooth and tight gameplay without hiccups combined with creative design. And I hate it when battery life is short. Squeezing maximum performance out of hardware tends to interfere with that.

It really sucks that battery technology hasn't really evolved in line with the rest of technology. It's holding things back

I'd take a smooth 60FPS at 720p over a smooth 30FPS at 1080p.

I'd rather not have the difference in the feel of the game, rather than the look of it.

I'm particularly interested what @dazzybee @Ashley @Sheikah and @Pestneb prefer/prioritize.

You guys seem to have a very heavily opinionated view when it comes to hardware preferences so I'm (as a tech noob) very curious to find out what would make the Switch seem astonishing without the danger of getting very expensive. What would be your guys sweetspot when it comes to this hybrid device, both spec wise as feature wise?

How would you rank:

60fps vs 30fps

1080 vs 720

Battery life

VR/voicechat/easy friend connecting etc, etc?

I'm particularly interested what @dazzybee @Ashley @Sheikah and @Pestneb prefer/prioritize.

You guys seem to have a very heavily opinionated view when it comes to hardware preferences so I'm (as a tech noob) very curious to find out what would make the Switch seem astonishing without the danger of getting very expensive. What would be your guys sweetspot when it comes to this hybrid device, both spec wise as feature wise?

How would you rank:

60fps vs 30fps

1080 vs 720

Battery life

VR/voicechat/easy friend connecting etc, etc?

I'm definitely not a techie at all; and actually pretty easy going with how things are. I just want amazing games. I just more have opinions against the push from people that they must compete technically rather than have any tech desires myself. However, here's my order of preference (presume this is for handheld mode?)

1. Battery life

2. 60FPS v 30FPS

3. Voice chat/friends/social

4. 1080p v 720p

Edited by dazzybee

I would say...

60fps vs 30fps

Battery life

Voicechat & Online Connectivity

1080 vs 720

Get that framerate locked for smooth gameplay, then worry about the battery life which will dictate how long you can enjoy your games for on the go, having those online options should then naturally follow assuming that we're getting games which will attempt to have a comparable set of features which have been standard for a long time on other machines and only then worry about whether the handheld mode is 1080p or 720p... the latter should really be fine for portable play while the higher resolution is a more natural fit for the big screen. : peace:

Switch event invites are going out now it seems (just seen someone get theirs).

Naturally, I got absolute squat :(

I so happen to have got a place at the Switch event in January next year. Can't wait.