NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I understand that, and I think the same, but I mean people seem to be put off by it, not just wishing it had it, but putting them off getting it.

Can't comment on that. I don't read through this thread that closely anymore.

I was just thinking about Nintendo's appeal and which 3rd party titles would fit well and there are the odd ones that come to mind. They obviously need to get on board with the toys-to-life market again (could use the built in reader maybe?) but there are more recently some games that have a broader appeal that would fit well with a Nintendo system.

Overwatch for instance is bright and characterful, basically the Big Hero 6 of video games. It's a strong multiplayer game and combined with Splatoon could really make way for a portable FPS market. Blizzard haven't worked with Nintendo since the failed Starcraft Ghost project (as far as I'm aware) but they have a huge amount in common. Now that Blizz are in the console game a bit more there is more hope for a happy marriage.

Kingdom Hearts III: From a market point of view, this is perfect and Epic have already stated that they will be supporting Unreal on Switch. It would be a boon to have such a substantial game on the platform and S-E and Nintendo have a history with this franchise.

Anything Starwars: Now I'm not expecting Battlefront to run on the Switch. I'd LIKE it to but I very much doubt it will. But the franchise has such a wide appeal that I don't think Nintendo can opt out of not trying to court it somehow.

(I thought we had a separate thread for this but was having trouble finding it!)

As for this news, disappointing, but unsurprising. I find it quite bizarre how PS4 owners are now saying as it's underpowered they may not get 3rd parties.... why would you care? You already have a machine for that. The switch would surely be for Nintendo games and that doesn't change because it's a little less powerful than originally rumoured.

So you never enjoyed Tales of Symphonia, Eternal Darkness, Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adventure Battle 2, Baiten Kaitos, Resident Evil 4, Turok or Harvest Moon?

I have to say...I find that "bizarre". ;)

(Honestly though, the world knows no end to how many things you find "bizarre")

@Jamba I feel the Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare games are a perfect fit for the Nintendo demographic. I think EA could easily find an audience on a Nintendo platform with that series.

My point was, lesser specs doesn't mean they're dropping out of the race.
Maybe it's how you define it. I'd be inclined to agree with you, but then Nintendo just do their own thing these days.

The space race, an arms race... the console race :blank:... these are competitions for superiority.

Nintendo seemingly aren't bothered about this anymore. Increasingly moving forward I'd say Sony and Microsoft may not be either tbh.

@Jamba I feel the Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare games are a perfect fit for the Nintendo demographic. I think EA could easily find an audience on a Nintendo platform with that series.
I feel like Dragon Quest could find a new home with Nintendo.

There's the two remakes on 3DS, and DQXI supposedly coming to Switch. I feel it could do a Monster Hunter. Builders would have been a great fit.

Edited by Retro_Link

I feel like Dragon Quest could find a new hope with Nintendo.

There's the two remakes on 3DS, and DQXI supposedly coming to Switch. I feel it could do a Monster Hunter. Builders would have been a great fit.

I wouldn't be surprised if both Builders and World of Final Fantasy show up on the Switch in its first year. Both games would be a great fit on the platform.

I wouldn't be surprised if both Builders and World of Final Fantasy show up on the Switch in its first year. Both games would be a great fit on the platform.
I still haven't got around to getting builders on PS4, so if it did end up coming to Switch I'd probably wait a bit more and just get it for that instead. :D

Definitely seems like a game that would be nice to play on the go, and like you say, a great fit for the platform.

How much stock should we put in digital foundries 'findings' because they haven't testd a dev unit or retail unit, they've just speculated off of leaked info from a source

How much stock should we put in digital foundries 'findings' because they haven't testd a dev unit or retail unit, they've just speculated off of leaked info from a source

Laura Kidale kinda backed it up without being explicit so I think it can be taken as serious. There are others parts of the puzzle not yet known so it seems the clock speeds don't tell the whole story.

So you never enjoyed Tales of Symphonia, Eternal Darkness, Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adventure Battle 2, Baiten Kaitos, Resident Evil 4, Turok or Harvest Moon?

I have to say...I find that "bizarre". ;)

(Honestly though, the world knows no end to how many things you find "bizarre")

But you, and I, can play these on our PS4s, which was my point?

And that's true, people are certainly strange.

But you, and I, can play these on our PS4s, which was my point?

You really can play these on your PS4? How? I'd love to play Baten Kaitos on mine. And ToS. And Eternal Darkness. And Turok. And Harvest Moon (okay, I'll give you that, Stardew Valley recently arrived on consoles).

Wait, I thought I bought your Game Gear?

I probably bought another one when I started collecting consoles. I honestly can't remember if the one I have is my original one or one bought later. I know I definitely have one though as I saw it in the drawer when I was taking the photo of all my Nintendo handhelds (it's in the Nintendo Collectibles thread guys!).

You really can play these on your PS4? How? I'd love to play Baten Kaitos on mine. And ToS. And Eternal Darkness. And Turok. And Harvest Moon (okay, I'll give you that, Stardew Valley recently arrived on consoles).
I assume @dazzybee means 'today's equivalents of...'

Which would be the likes of Ni No Kuni 2, Persona, Bloodborne, Doom

I didn't see any indication that he meant that with his wording. ::shrug: But if he did then I apologize.

No need, there wasn't any indication. But there's no way to play those on PS4 either, so that's my assumption.

Clearly what I meant. But it was actually Sheikah who made the connection first, I was just continuing it. Funny you didn't pick up on him bringing these games up...

Clearly what I meant. But it was actually Sheikah who made the connection first, I was just continuing it. Funny you didn't pick up on him bringing these games up...

No my statement was counter to something I found flawed about your reasoning. The idea that "Nintendo console is only for Nintendo games" and that PS4 owners shouldn't be annoyed baffled me - says who? When has that ever been in the past? I even remember many good exclusive third party titles (or timed exclusives). Remember how cool Resi 4 was? Doubt we'd have seen that if the gamecube was still basically an N64.

Is it just generally accepted now that you get less for your money with Nintendo and that we have no right to be annoyed if we have another console? As you say, bizarre...

Edited by Sheikah

No my statement was counter to something I found flawed about your reasoning. The idea that "Nintendo console is only for Nintendo games" and that PS4 owners shouldn't be annoyed baffled me - says who? When has that ever been in the past?

That may have been why you were saying it, but you were obviously implying the equivalent games of today, otherwise why bring those games up at all, because what does it matter if I enjoyed playing them, can't play them on anything so your point is useless. Luckily I understood what you meant; the equivalent of those games. God you're one argumentative person, even against your own points....

As for me saying Nintendo games are only for Nintendo gamers... that wasn't my point. I really do need to make things extra clear for you don't I. I'm sure Nintendo only gamers should be really annoyed it may not get 3rd parties etc. My point was specifically PS4 owners who can play those games, I don't understand why they are annoyed, I even said myself it could be damaging for Nintendo getting 3rd parties.... but you know; you love to argue don't you....

That may have been why you were saying it, but you were obviously implying the equivalent games of today, otherwise why bring those games up at all, because what does it matter if I enjoyed playing them, can't play them on anything so your point is useless. Luckily I understood what you meant; the equivalent of those games. God you're one argumentative person, even against your own points....

The point I made was simple. It has nothing to do with being able to play those specific, exact games I mentioned on today's consoles - it is to show that we had third party games on Nintendo consoles in the past, they were great, and so we can be annoyed if third party support might not be coming this time round. Whether we have a PS4 or not is completely irrelevant. There's no guarantee that every game will always go to our PS4s instead, or even see the light of day. Some games of old felt particularly suited to certain platforms and it's pretty clear without a helping hand from Nintendo, some wouldn't have been what they were.

As for me saying Nintendo games are only for Nintendo gamers... that wasn't my point. I really do need to make things extra clear for you don't I.

No, you don't. And word to the wise, by talking to people like that you achieve nothing more than coming across as condescending. I was commenting on this:

The switch would surely be for Nintendo games and that doesn't change because it's a little less powerful than originally rumoured.

Why would it 'surely' be for Nintendo games only? Again...that assumption that for PS4 owners, we should be fine with only Nintendo games on a Nintendo console. Why? It's this mindset that some people have bought into that almost makes me think people deserve paltry console support. It's what they expect, right?

Edited by Sheikah

The point I made was simple. It has nothing to do with being able to play those specific, exact games I mentioned on today's consoles

Yes, exactly my point, we weren't talking about the exact games, but understood the meaning behind. I never once doubted we were in agreement on this. What are you arguing again?

Why would it 'surely' be for Nintendo games only? Again...that assumption that for PS4 owners, we should be fine with only Nintendo games on a Nintendo console. Why? It's this mindset that some people have bought into that almost makes me think people deserve paltry console support. It's what they expect, right?

Because it's logical and what people on these very boards have said, you can play all third parties on your PS4; why would those very same 3rd parties you can already play be a deal breaker on the Switch? Surely for PS4/Xbox owners, the ultimate pull is the exclusives no?!

I understand people being annoyed for the fear it could damage Nintendo, or for Nintendo only gamers etc. But people who can already play those games, why would they care?

I'm pretty sure you have said you'd still get 3rd parties on ps4; if not quite a few people have said that .

The idea that Nintendo hardware is just fine as long as it plays Nintendo software is ridiculous.

That kind of thought allows Nintendo off the hook.

Edited by liger05