NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

More leaks/rumours/nonsense (take your pick):

Highlights:

That reads like nonsense I think. Going through it sounds like educated guesses without even delving in that deep.

"Interact with your games on go" would never be a slogan. Way too clunky sounding.

Let's face it, Nintendo's recent history with marketing isn't great so it wouldn't surprise me but they do have new people so we'll see.

Still, another rumour to pass the time.

Sounds just like the VMU idea that the Dreamcast had. The Chao feeding from Sonic Adventure and mini games from Power Stone are good examples of interacting with the main game on the go. You'd play these VMU experiences and then get something in return on the main game.

And then Shadow Man would take over the VMU and it will always show that no matter the game. Good times.

More leaks/rumours/nonsense (take your pick):

Highlights:

I think people are gonna be surprised with the price. I think some maybe expecting $199 but I just I just don't see how. If rumours are to be believed this is a powerful handheld and I don't see how they can launch that low. I think it's $249 minimum

Edited by liger05

I think people are gonna be surprised with the price. I think some maybe expecting $199 but I just I just don't see how. If rumours are to be believed this is a powerful handheld and I don't see how they can launch that low. I think it's $249 minimum

People often don't have a realistic perception of how technology costs. With how things are subsidised so much these days, people think things like iPhones are cheap, when they're actually like £700 to buy outright.

People often don't have a realistic perception of how technology costs. With how things are subsidised so much these days, people think things like iPhones are cheap, when they're actually like £700 to buy outright.

I have never met anyone who thinks an iPhone is cheap?

I think it will be £300 maybe rising to £350 for some kind of Zelda bundle.

For those predicting £ prices based on historical precedent, do remember that our currency is currently busy circling the drain...

I suspect that the UK price will be eyewatering, even if it's relatively cheap elsewhere...

For those predicting £ prices based on historical precedent, do remember that our currency is currently busy circling the drain...

I suspect that the UK price will be eyewatering, even if it's relatively cheap elsewhere...

Yeah I'm half expecting it to be £=€ essentially

I tapped on this before, but I still think the possibility of a delay is very real. It's not just the pound, the yen is back to the highs which directly attributed to reduced profit outlooks for Nintendo back during the 3DS launch (and Wii U now that I look back on it). A strong yen completely fucks up stuff for Japanese companies as it's harder to sell products at more attractive prices as they receive a lot less yen in return.

Just in case there's people who are struggling to follow just how severe the current issue is, let me give you an example using the British market.

2015 GBP to JPY exchange rate: 184.3

2016 GBP to JPY exchange rate: 128.3

I'm using a figure of £300, which I'm using as an example of a home based NX console wholesale cost (based on completely nothing but purely to demonstrate my point). GAME buys, or more accurately, secures the credit to buy a unit direct from Nintendo. Today, Nintendo would receive roughly 38490 yen ignoring all the banking and foreign transaction fees. This time last year, assuming the unit cost was exactly the same, Nintendo would have received 55290 yen. To put that in perspective, last year, assuming they were happy with 38490 yen and wanted to sell the thing as cheap as possible, they would only need to sell the unit to the retailer for £208.90, nearly a whole third cheaper.

Now, we're a bit of an extreme example, but we're not the only market that's seen reduced JPY conversion. The dollar has been on the slide against it too and the Bank of Japan has already said that if traders don't stop their currency trading shenanigans they'll make their move (widely speculated to happen if USD/JPY breaks below the 100 yen mark). Right now, the market is not ideal for Nintendo to go release a new console which is just their luck really, but how long can they hold off before not releasing it is more detrimental than releasing it in the current climate?

One thing is for sure, Britain's going to get fucked on the price, and I've chosen a real fucking shit time to move to Japan and need to secure more work as soon as possible.

I tapped on this before, but I still think the possibility of a delay is very real. It's not just the pound, the yen is back to the highs which directly attributed to reduced profit outlooks for Nintendo back during the 3DS launch (and Wii U now that I look back on it). A strong yen completely fucks up stuff for Japanese companies as it's harder to sell products at more attractive prices as they receive a lot less yen in return.

Just in case there's people who are struggling to follow just how severe the current issue is, let me give you an example using the British market.

I'm using a figure of £300, which I'm using as an example of a home based NX console wholesale cost (based on completely nothing but purely to demonstrate my point). GAME buys, or more accurately, secures the credit to buy a unit direct from Nintendo. Today, Nintendo would receive roughly 38490 yen ignoring all the banking and foreign transaction fees. This time last year, assuming the unit cost was exactly the same, Nintendo would have received 55290 yen. To put that in perspective, last year, assuming they were happy with 38490 yen and wanted to sell the thing as cheap as possible, they would only need to sell the unit to the retailer for £208.90, nearly a whole third cheaper.

Now, we're a bit of an extreme example, but we're not the only market that's seen reduced JPY conversion. The dollar has been on the slide against it too and the Bank of Japan has already said that if traders don't stop their currency trading shenanigans they'll make their move (widely speculated to happen if USD/JPY breaks below the 100 yen mark). Right now, the market is not ideal for Nintendo to go release a new console which is just their luck really, but how long can they hold off before not releasing it is more detrimental than releasing it in the current climate?

One thing is for sure, Britain's going to get fucked on the price, and I've chosen a real fucking shit time to move to Japan and need to secure more work as soon as possible.

Great post and almost a translation of Nintendo which I believe is something like "try your best but ultimately it's out of your hands" or words to that effect.

Delayed till when and furthermore they would have to explain the quarterly numbers to sareholders which I don't think will be pretty. Say it was delayed until fall 2017 I think that's an awful long time with just a dead platform in the Wii U and a nearing the end 3DS.

Early 2017 was the delay from holiday 2016. They need to get it out as planned.

Say it was delayed until fall 2017 I think that's an awful long time with just a dead platform in the Wii U and a nearing the end 3DS.

Has the Wii U ever been given an official price cut?

Thinking theres potential for one last Wii U sales drive (say £150) with a line of £20 collector editions games (if they dont already exist). Maybe a limited edition console colour will help.

I know its simply trying to refurb a coffin but the Wii U might have one last squeeze in it.

And next week too just in case, right :p? Maybe each other week of this year too?

Yeah the currency differences are a bit of a shitter - but really they can't go too hard on the price here with the competition being offered by the PS4/XBone; especially with a post-Christmas release. I just don't think they have enough pull to keep people holding their money for it unless they do something absolutely remarkable with this system(such as top value for money, as one example).

One thing I do wonder with a falling pound though - are there any potential advantages to it for them? I mean not having a domestic UK arm(as far as I'm aware) makes it a bit rougher, as still going via Germany to here puts the Euro against the GBP; whereas if they'd had more setup over here keeping/using money inside would have been of some better benefit no? Maybe even a good time to take some advantage of the weaker £ to contemplate setting up something even...

Of course Brexit might have a harder impact to make it not sensible; but also Brexit might also even possibly necessitate it of them eventually? I don't know either way, free flowing speculation just spilling out as I type atm.

Edited by Rummy

And next week too just in case, right :p? Maybe each other week of this year too?

No. This week...

I have a very good feeling about this week

Bwahahaha! Thats all of us since the prophecised post E3 NX Direct.

Edited by King_V

I imagine it will launch at a top heavy price, they know any new console, especially with Zelda will shift 5 million + units in the launch window. At that point they can look at how it's performing and make 3DS style price drop if required. It does beg the question why they never did a price drop on Wii U to give it a much needed push.

I have a good feeling about.....Thursday.

I have a bad feeling that after such a long time it's all going to be a bit underwhelming when they do finally announce it.

Bwahahaha! Thats all of us since the prophecised post E3 NX Direct.

Thanks lol, wasn't sure if the joke would come across when everyone's so tense for information. Just seems to be so many people calling it on all sorts of different angles and revising after every time it doesn't happen that I find it quite amusing now :D

I've given up even trying to imagine when it'll be and just waiting for the content of it when it happens. I think the real nail for them here is going to be pricing as I mentioned in the last post - Sony and MS were smart going more off the shelf for the cost reductions it's afforded them over time; it leaves Nintendo in a difficult position of being 'between generations' yet still needing to price competitively.

To come back to it - you asked a few posts back if the Wii U ever had an official price cut? I don't know the answer to that, but if you consider it hasn't and(as also mentioned by others in the thread recently) - the PS4 old stock just had a huge retailer-wideish price deal of £199.99 with Fifa 17 or something. Even if you didn't get that deal - if Nintendo come out with something not matching at a higher price than £250-300(taking into account solid handheld/home console hybridity, and not too many half versions on the go) can they really expect to compete, especially with a post-xmas March time(presumed) launch? £300 really seems, to me, like the ideal mental limit for a handheld/home console hybrid from them unless they manage to really show people how it's going to be both a 3DS and a Wii/Wii U for them and hence worth the higher pricing. There's a lot of apprehension/watching waiting approach to Nintendo by many now too - whilst it's not all doom and gloom it is something to certainly be aware/mindful of.

Back to that quick point of a Wii U push tho - even at £150 I don't feel it's good enough right now. £100 for the console, maybe £180-190 for the console and 5 premium games(the players choice or whatevs they call them) maybe. It just isn't something I feel generally really worth the price looking at the larger market right now for gamers.

I imagine it will launch at a top heavy price, they know any new console, especially with Zelda will shift 5 million + units in the launch window. At that point they can look at how it's performing and make 3DS style price drop if required. It does beg the question why they never did a price drop on Wii U to give it a much needed push.

I have a bad feeling that after such a long time it's all going to be a bit underwhelming when they do finally announce it.

The 3DS couldn't be allowed to fail. The Wii U was expansive mistake and best thing Nintendo could do was let it die a slow death while still making some money from it.

That said I still don't even think if it was reduced it would shifted much more units. Price wasn't the only problem with the Wii U

Edited by liger05

The 3DS couldn't be allowed to fail. The Wii U was expansive mistake and best thing Nintendo could do was let it die a slow death while still making some money from it.

That said I still don't even think if it was reduced it would shifted much more units. Price wasn't the only problem with the Wii U

I think the Wii U is a solid bit of kit and will go down in history as a flawed but prized collectors item. So I think a price cut at around £100-150 (as @Rummy suggested) will be welcomed by the 'hardcore' who avoided the console in its prime and holiday season impulse buyers/parents. (especially a limited edition colour like the GC's spice orange).

In fact a price cut in time for Christmas + 3DS' Sun/Moon will at least give Nintendo some sphere of influence until about Easter. IMO better than just doing nothing and letting it die out of memory.

Even if the NX came in Autumn 17, E3 and summer can still give it a big boost... Perhaps even a bigger boost from Jan-Mar when we're broke and sobering up from Christmas and New Years.

There is no point price cutting the Wii U now (unless they just want to clear inventory and sell some games over Christmas) if they were going to do it, it needed to be 2-3 years ago.

As a piece of hardware, with the exception of the abysmal wireless range for the gamepad, I think the Wii U is a phenomenal piece of kit. The Wii U had many problems but none of them were a hardware issue.

They have to be careful devaluing themselves with it - though I guess with plans to stop production(did this already happen?) it might not be a risk by time NX comes out. Flameboy's just bought one, and there's a decent amount of good content on there if arguably not a wealth of it - I think taking a £100-150 run on it possibly isn't a bad idea but right now I worry it eats into their NX potentials. Bit of a rock and a hard place really.

Whilst I agree the wireless was pretty pitiful @Clownferret, I think the Wii U was mostly let down by its lack of parity in terms of online features with the competition, a lack of diversity/wealth/breadth of software and support, lack of very specific Wii U-centric asymmetrical experiences, and its general pricing over time. All easy pitfalls for the NX too(maybe not the asymmetrical gaming experience, but more utilising full potential of whatever approach they've opted to take) if they aren't careful with it.

Despite saying all that it has some solid bits to it in places which has made it all the more frustrating as a constant contradiction. Nintendo really is that annoying ex you just can't seem to stop going back to.

They have to be careful devaluing themselves with it - though I guess with plans to stop production(did this already happen?) it might not be a risk by time NX comes out. Flameboy's just bought one, and there's a decent amount of good content on there if arguably not a wealth of it - I think taking a £100-150 run on it possibly isn't a bad idea but right now I worry it eats into their NX potentials. Bit of a rock and a hard place really.

Whilst I agree the wireless was pretty pitiful @Clownferret, I think the Wii U was mostly let down by its lack of parity in terms of online features with the competition, a lack of diversity/wealth/breadth of software and support, lack of very specific Wii U-centric asymmetrical experiences, and its general pricing over time. All easy pitfalls for the NX too(maybe not the asymmetrical gaming experience, but more utilising full potential of whatever approach they've opted to take) if they aren't careful with it.

Despite saying all that it has some solid bits to it in places which has made it all the more frustrating as a constant contradiction. Nintendo really is that annoying ex you just can't seem to stop going back to.

Exactly, 3rd parties leaving the party was the biggest nail in the coffin, the online infrastructure is a completely different animal as this is predominantly down to Nintendo's beliefs rather than any technical capability of the hardware, so for this to change Nintendo will need to review their in-house core values and I don't see that changing anytime soon. But the bottom line is day 1 Wii U was a brilliant machine with some game changing capabilities, it was everything that followed that ruined it.

The WiiU as a home console hardware unit is 3rd rate.

The online infrastructure is part and parcel with the hardware itself, it's a feature OF the hardware.

It's architecture is too wildly different to the other home consoles, it's not the "lack of power" that's the problem (this immediately pushes 3rd parties away by creating a barrier of entry).

Not even Nintendo themselves could really sell the value of the Gamepad.

All the above were Nintendo's decisions. It's Nintendo that ruined it, nobody else!