Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2014/2015

Dog-amoto

What is really bothering me is that the things we did well last season, regardless of Suarez and Sturridge, such as the constant pressing is completely absent :hmm:

I was crying out for Borini to come on yesterday because at least I know he'll hunt the ball down and make runs for the team. Whatever you may feel about his ability, you can't really fault his desire to fight for his place and play for Liverpool. I'd have him in the starting line up at the moment, that's for sure..

As for Rodgers, it is admirable what he did last season and I hope he can get us going again as some of the stuff we played last season was exhilarating. However, his transfer record has been shocking. The window in January where he brought in Sturridge and Coutinho was a masterstroke but basically everything else has been highly questionable, something which is highlighted by this image I saw online earlier..

fdd35820-628b-11e4-8d7b-679ac710aff8_rog-buys.jpg

It may be a little harsh on some of the players, but it's hard to argue with the general consensus :sad:

Yeah it is a bit harsh. Especially with the some of the free/loan players who cost nothing and were mostly just padding out the squad. And I'd say the jury's out on more players too.

The signings that annoy me the most are Borini, Aspas, Luis Alberto, Ilori and to lesser extent (based on the lower fee) Assaidi. Millions wasted on unproven hopefuls, at best squad players that we just bench and/or loan out for the rest of their contracts and will be lucky to get anything back on in transfer fees. I fear Can and Markovic (£20 mil!) could end up the same way. Add all the fees together and we could have actually signed proven talent.

Borini is especially odd as Rodgers clearly rated him to buy him for £10.5mil, then suddenly this summer we were desperate to sell him, and bought Lambert and put him ahead of Borini in the pecking order. Clearly an admission from Rodgers that signing Borini was a mistake, but I don't get how Borini can be rated by Rodgers 2 years ago, then look an improved player at Sunderland, then suddenly be almost forced out of the club.

I mean don't we have homegrown U-21 players who could at least not score goals for us for free, instead of signing all these foreigners to do the same at the cost of millions?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Liverpool team to face Real Madrid at the Bernabeu tonight is as follows..

Mignolet, Manquillo, Skrtel, Toure, Moreno, Lucas, Can, Allen, Markovic, Borini, Lallana.

Substitutes: Jones, Johnson, Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Sterling, Balotelli.

It'll be very interesting to see how this team plays tonight, given how many regular starters have been relegated to the bench. As poor as most of them have been playing, it does concern me that Rodgers seems to be more focused on the game against Chelsea at the weekend.

We'll probably lose both anyway.. even if I still BELIEVE :heh:

Proud of that performance. Kolo bossed them. If only we had any kind of goal threat.

Yeh.. we played quite well, despite not creating anything of note. Borini did OK, though, so I was happy to see him get the full 90 minutes. I felt Markovic was relatively poor with the ball, only really showing a glimpse of pace on a couple of occasions but ultimately losing possession cheaply :hmm:

Moreno was the standout performer for us in an attacking sense as he showed good confidence and energy at times, as well as composure. That was great to see after what happened against Newcastle.

I was a little disappointed to see Emre Can come off for Coutinho as he was looking solid whilst Allen seemed to be the worst of our original midfield three.. though maybe that was just me ::shrug:

Chelsea will be more difficult, I reckon, but we need to show some intensity. Is it that hard to come out of the blocks quickly..?

Yeh.. we played quite well, despite not creating anything of note. Borini did OK, though, so I was happy to see him get the full 90 minutes. I felt Markovic was relatively poor with the ball, only really showing a glimpse of pace on a couple of occasions but ultimately losing possession cheaply :hmm:

Moreno was the standout performer for us in an attacking sense as he showed good confidence and energy at times, as well as composure. That was great to see after what happened against Newcastle.

I was a little disappointed to see Emre Can come off for Coutinho as he was looking solid whilst Allen seemed to be the worst of our original midfield three.. though maybe that was just me ::shrug:

Chelsea will be more difficult, I reckon, but we need to show some intensity. Is it that hard to come out of the blocks quickly..?

Agree with all your points. Allen was our weak link in midfield, Can looks like a talented young player.

I love Moreno. Yeah he has the odd brainfart, but he's just so quick and a great dribbler. Those little bursts he does can really open up teams in a matter of seconds. He has a big future.

Borini, Kolo and Mignolet impressed last night, Boroni starts against Chelsea for me, would be tempted to start Kolo aswell. Encouraging showing from Can too, Markovic could have been better but at least showed flashes, in fairness it was a tricky game to show his stuff considering the opposition and context of the game.

I back Rodgers over the team selection, we supposedly left out our 'best' players, the same players that did nothing at Newcastle (not to mention generally sucking all season), the whole team could have been dropped.

Our away fans deserve a special mention too, they outsang the Real fans all night. :)

I have to lol at the way the media have reacted to the Liverpool line-up yesterday. I watched the game and didn't think there was at all a problem with the squad that Liverpool chose.

Mignolet - first choice keeper, no problem there.

Manquillo - new signing

Skrtel - first choice, I think.

Toure - squad player, but fine.

Moreno -new signing and fine.

Allen - squad player but fine.

Lucas - squad player, but fine.

Can - new signing

Markovic - new signing

Borini - squad player, but Balotelli isn't scoring so this is fine.

Lallana - new signing

subs

Jones

Gerrard

Coutinho

Henderson

Sterling

Balotelli

Johnson

Not sure where the problem is. He's made new signings and he should be able to play them where he sees fit. The problem seemed to be with what midfield he chose and he seemed to get stick for resting Gerrard. Tbh, he's the manager and he should decide what team he puts out.

Although, losing 1-0 away is better than losing 3-0 at home, so...I guess he was justified.

Mignolet - first choice keeper, no problem there.

Manquillo - new signing

Skrtel - first choice, I think.

Toure - squad player, but fine. Experienced, might actually be able to organise our defence

Moreno -new signing and fine. £12mil

Allen - squad player but fine. £15mil

Lucas - squad player, but fine. Actual defensive midfielder in the def-mid role

Can - new signing £10mil

Markovic - new signing £20mil

Borini - squad player, but Balotelli isn't scoring so this is fine. £10.5mil

Lallana - new signing £25mil

I would add many of those players weren't exactly cheap.

I would add many of those players weren't exactly cheap.

Exactly, so he has to be playing them. How can players like Markovic or Can do the jobs that they were brought in to do if they don't play against the big teams?

It's really up to the manager who he plays and it should be his choice. What's the point in having a big squad if you can't select from it? Just seems like it's a big fuss over nothing really. It's not like he's benched the entire first 11 and put out the youth team, there was a lot of reasoning to the team that he picked. Borini looked good up front, the left and right backs looked good with the ball and the midfield tried to keep the ball.

Exactly, so he has

It's really up to the manager who he plays and it should be his choice. What's the point in having a big squad if you can't select from it? Just seems like it's a big fuss over nothing really.

Completely agree. It's the manager's job to handle all aspects of a situation. Why begrudge Rogers for fielding 'weaker' players when it's done in the best interests of the club?

I love the cup and I love giant killing. But wht pisses me off are those twats who turn up when these little clubs are playing the bigger teams. Warrington average 200 people, yet tonight you've seen more than that swamp the pith pretending they actually give a shit. Most of them won't be there for their next league game. It's the shit end of glory hunting.

Hmm.. Liverpool have been OK for about 20 minutes and then we've simply become sloppy for the remainder of the first half :hmm: We keep giving the ball away easily and Mignolet has probably had to make as many passes as anyone so far :indeed:

EDIT Eugh.. another poor result and performance :sad:

Edited by nekunando

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!