NEurope
Serebii

Final Fantasy Explorers (3DS)

The hell!? A Square Enix game that looks interesting? And isn't for mobiles!? What alternate dimension did I fall into!?

I think any interest I've been trying to develop in MonHun could now be over.

Assuming it plays like MonHun.

I'll have to keep an eye on this.

Assuming it plays like MonHun.

I'll have to keep an eye on this.

Yeah, supposedly it's a MonHun style game where you choose a job and work together to hunt monsters (who are past Final Fantasy summons like Bahamut) in order to gather crystals (or plot souvenirs or whatever :p )

Sounds like it could actually be really good :)

Is this the start of SE's new direction? or a last hurrah before they switch solely to mobile

Do we think this is the secret 3DS game that Nintendo have hinted about and are holding a roundtable about later? (note: in a few hours there will be a very obvious answer to this...)

Seems to be a multiplayer game a la Monster Hunter.

さすが、ヒューズド・キング!

Just as Fused King said, this is claiming to be a multiplayer RPG. The genre specifies it's an action RPG, complete with job and magic system, with an emphasis on the party play.

The bottom left (next to the picture of Ifrit), states that a lot of the jobs from the main FF series will make an appearance and that you'll be able to play with up to 4 people.

Do we think this is the secret 3DS game that Nintendo have hinted about and are holding a roundtable about later? (note: in a few hours there will be a very obvious answer to this...)

No, the game at the round table will be a Nintendo game, not a 3rd party title :)

Sounds like it will be similar to the Crystal Chronicles games then?

No, the game at the round table will be a Nintendo game, not a 3rd party title :)

Phew!

We definitely need some more high-quality RPGs on the 3DS. As long as you can play offline (and it gets a European release, of course), count me in.

A bunch of details from Gaf.

Supports local and internet multiplayer

About 20 jobs. Besides the already shown knight, white mage, monk, and black mage, there's also dragoon, paladin, thief, ninja, red mage, time mage, bard, and freelancer.

You can assign up to 8 abilities to various buttons in combat.

Even though it looks like Monster Hunter, it feels more like FF11/FF14-lite. Positioning and orientation is important, and there's an ability synergy system.

There's a combat log that shows damage numbers and such.

You can swap around weapons and armor, but you can also swap around abilities too. You can learn abilities on one job and use them on others.

However, the cost of abilities is different if used on a job they don't come from. For example, the cost of black magic is halved on black mage compared to other jobs.

Set on an island with many areas that you can freely explore.

It'll be possible to recruit monsters you defeat. You can create a party of two players and two monsters (not sure if this is the only setup, but it's what's given)

There's lots to do after the main story is completed. They're talking 100~200 hours of play.

They're developing the game to give the spirit of FF in a multiplayer RPG.

Yay, another SE game that will never get a UK release. *Forgets game exists for own sake*

A Square Enix game with Final Fantasy in the name on a games console as opposed to a mobile has a pretty darn high chance of making it over here. At least in recent times.

That all sounds like total awesomesauce :)

Now how about an actual trailer? (Preferably in English ;) )

so this could basically end upas a final fantasy monster hunter sort of clone with online co-op? i think i'm in love! i can get into a series at the entry point and not feel as out of my depth as i did in MH3U

Here's a nice little bonus.

As a pre-order bonus, retail copies of Final Fantasy Explorers will include a download code for a 3DS release of Final Fantasy 1. It supports the 3D function as well. A month after FFEX is released, it will be put on sale on the eShop.

They also announced that on the release date of FFEX, they will release a free prologue version of the game, which acts as a demo. It supports all the features of the game, multiplayer, internet, etc, and covers the prologue portion of the game.

Japan only at the moment but I hope that if this does come to the west that we get the same treatment.

This game has started to grab my attention. I hope we do get it. Even better if they follow the Japanese release that Hero-of-Time mentioned.