N-Europe

IGN RUMOR - Nintendo may show new hardware at E3

canand

UPDATE 3 - IGN's Jose Otero had this to say...

"I understand why someone would consider what we discussed newsworthy, but this story completely ignores an important piece of context: We didn't trust these sources enough to run a story on IGN. It's a conversation, and sometimes we get carried away. Peer did make the above argument, but we also framed the discussion around the context that we weren't sure. Unfortunately, the author made no effort to convey that in his news story. If we believed what we'd heard, you wouldn't have found out about it on another site. We would have run that story ourselves. Just food for thought. I don't blame anyone for running with it, but omitting that context from the story is pretty shady. Again, I get it. But I'm here to tell you the discussion wasn't as simple as "this is for real, guys!"

UPDATE 2 - Now VideoGamer is jumping in on the bandwagon...

Original post...

I've listened to the episode and can confirm that these comments were made.

Coming from the most recent Nintendo Voice Chat podcast...

"We've heard rumors that Nintendo might be showing hardware at E3."
- IGN editor Jose Otero

"They're absolutely going to show new hardware this year. No doubt in my mind that something... 'Cause I've heard from multiple people now. I've heard from someone who used to be at Nintendo; I've heard it from somebody on the third-party front."
- Peer Schneider

I want to make it clear that this IGN discussion does not stem from the mention of new hardware that was found in the source code of Nintendo's E3 site. This discussion is from information that IGN's Peer Schneider has heard from various sources. The point about source info find from Nintendo's E3 site is brought up separately at a later point in the discussion.

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/227433-ign-rumor-nintendo-may-show-new-hardware-at-e3

Edited by lostmario

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jose Otero posted on GAF about this. He said that they heard about the rumour, but not from sources they trust enough to make an article about it.

The Video Gamer post is ridiculous as it references the Fusion specs which were confirmed as bull.

Take that how you please

In the slim chance it's legit, it'll either be QoL or a new revision of 3DS, or less likely, Wii U. It won't be a new console, of that I can promise.

Could be NFC toys. They would technically count as "hardware" and we know that an NFC focused game is coming...

Whatever it is (if indeed this rumour isn't entirely bunk) it won't be a new console or handheld (we would have already heard much more about it by now if that were the case) or QoL (It's not being unveiled until next year and E3 isn't the right place for it anyway).

Saw so much over-reacting to this last night. Even saw people say they're not getting a Wii U for Mario Kart until after E3 because of it -_-

Sounds like they're jumping the gun to me too admittedly. I can't see them taking the risk of introducing new Wii U hardware at this stage when public perception may finally be catching up.

If it's any hardware at all, it'll be the NFC toys or the follow up to the vitality sensor. Though I do wonder about the 3DS hardware front, as the Japanese sales had been trending downwards before the sales tax hike.

This is going to turn out to be absolutely nothing of significant interest to would-be Wii U owners, some wearable tech watch or an ankle bracelet that makes Mario sound effects.

I'd gladly take a 3DS with two sticks and better screens though. I'd take it all.

Edited by Guy

Is this rumour the same as the Nintendo's recently discovered patent for a handheld with an interchangeable button... i.e. you slide the D-pad out and slide in an analogue stick?

Which by the way sounds stupid :P

No, it's not.

A redesigned and rebranded Wii U with a redesigned GamePad would be great. That thing is so unwieldy to hold. Didn't realise how much until I went from 3-hours of MK last night to playing WW with the GamePad. Gross.

Is this rumour the same as the Nintendo's recently discovered patent for a handheld with an interchangeable button... i.e. you slide the D-pad out and slide in an analogue stick?

Which by the way sounds stupid :P

No, that patent pertains to a really old prototype that Nintendo made when they were developing the 3DS...

500x_slideproto.jpg

They do this all the time, take out patents for prototypes that don't get made into final products (hello Wii Horseriding!), just in case they decide to re-visit the concept later on. It doesn't mean anything either way.

I think it its a next gen handheld becuse we had Game Boy Advance for onley 2 years and Nintendo has to pay for any 3DS handhelds becuse of the legal battle with stupid sony

We had the GBA for at least 5 years. Unless you mean hardware revisions, but that's not a next generation handheld. Same generation.

VideoGamer is claiming the obviously fake Fusion rumours are it.

VideoGamer claims that, IGN is not confident in the sources and MCV is being MCV. This isn't exactly trustworthy.

I hope your right I don't want to give up my Wii U Allredey

Nintendo will not show off new hardware at E3

After reports circulated yesterday regarding a new Nintendo console reveal at this year's E3, Nintendo UK has confirmed to ONM that no such announcement will take place.

That still leaves the recently announced Digital Event to focus on Wii U and 3DS titles for 2014 and beyond, as well as in-depth looks at every title revealed through the Nintendo Treehouse Live stream.

Can mod please look this

Edited by lostmario

Well of course Nintendo of all entities would deny it.

The thing is, this is damaging to their business. Many people choosing not to purchase Wii U after hearing it until after E3, if at all. Their usual "We don't comment on rumours" would have just spurred it on, or just beat around the bush in answering like they did with the 3DS XL. However, here they stated categorically that it's not happening.

Interesting to see Nintendo flat out deny it and not give their usual. "we do not comment on rumours or speculation" spiel. I suppose Serebii is right and that a refusal to deny would only damage them (the very last thing they need when they're pinning their hopes on MK8 pushing Wii U systems is anything that would encourage them to hold out on a purchase!)

Could Nintendo finally be getting a clue and stop shooting themselves in the foot in regards to public relations? Nah course not, it's probably just the lucky one off...

Glad they've quashed the rumour. There would have been such a (tedious) backlash at E3 when they failed to announce any new hardware after the hype this rumour had started.

Oh that'll still happen, just you wait :p

Can mod please look this

Leaving the thread open for now.

Nintendo denying the rumours doesn't really mean much. They wouldn't want to confirm it this early if it is indeed true.

Please use the quote function in future, I've amended your first post

It's not like Nintendo have ever denied anything only for it to be proved true and in some cases less than a week later. They probably don't want to spread like wildfire and steal their thunder at E3 if true. I bet they've been onto IGN and others to tell them to shut the f up.