NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Nintendo Investors Meeting ( now in english )

How many games require the Gamepad to be played?

I can think of just 3 (NintendoLand, ZombiU and Deus Ex) and 1 of them (Deus Ex) could be patched to work woth Pro Controller...assuming it doesn't already, it might do, I should check that.

All other games work with either Pro COntroller or Wiimote or both already so there's no need to make changes to 99% of games.

Game & Wario needs it, also makes one of the best uses of the GamePad in the form of Gamer.

Then of course there's the eShop stuff that needs it, Wii Sports Club Golf (how'd you forget that one, Mokong?! :hehe:), Art Academy, Wii Street U, Panorama View, etc... not that anyone cares. :heh:

Edited by RedShell

Ah yeah forgot bout Game&Wario and Art Academy so that's 5 games that require the GP.

Wii Sports Golf doesn't actually require you to use the GP, I have played a number of times leaving my GP in charge stand. The Wiimote doesn;t "see" the GP when it is on the ground, the game just knows when the Wiimote is pointing down and displays the club on the GP screen so it works even without the GP on the ground.

Wii Sports Club Baseball would be different though, that will prolly require it.

Wii Street U and Panorama View, meh they don't count, as you said nobody cares :heh:

The fact remains there are (currently) very few games out that require it, as much as I do love it, it may as well be treated as an optional extra like Motion+ and the Balance Board.

There are no games coming soon (that we know of) that will be using it in any significant way or that "require" it. And these new plans of Nintendo to make it revelvant will prolly take 12-24 months to materilise.

Had they said yesterday "we know we've underused the GP's potential so far but we have some exciting new games that are in development and close to complete that we will reveal soon and will launch this year" then I'd think different.

But instead we got "oh snap, we made this GP but expected 2nd and 3rd parties to use it more than us, our bad we'll start working on proper games to make it relevant" when they should have been spearheading the thing with all/most of their own games from the start.

Super Mario 3D World needs it for certain levels, Deux Ex HR DC needs it, New Super Mario Bros U needs it for Boost Mode and the Boost Mode challenges, Wii Party U needs it, Sonic Lost World needs it for the bonus stages, Rayman Legends needs it for about half of the whole game, Dr Luigi needs it for Germ Buster... (and then there's all the games that are greatly enhanced by it like Pikmin 3, Zelda TWW HD, The Wonderful 101, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Resident Evil Revelations...)

But it doesn't matter because it's not getting dropped and Nintendo are doubling down on it with their future games (as they should be!)

Edited by Dcubed

I can't remember but what level did Super Mario 3D World actually require the Gamepad?

One thing? More Nintendoland-esque asymmetrical gaming things; released via eShop as a sub-£15 download. WHY they never designed Nintendoland for DLC/expandable content I don't know. Imo the theme park theme makes for the perfect addition of promotional attractions and added content, such a missed trick.

Yes! I was saying this to Dakota the other day. Nintendoland should've been installed on the machine. Maybe 3 free attractions (one from each category) and then additional attractions at a few quid each. Then they could create new attractions for up and coming games (or anything I suppose). It would be amazing, everyone would have it, new do tent, promote other game series etc etc Maybe even 3rd parties (ha) could create attractions or whatever... Just thinking about it frustrates me, Nintendo never try anything ambitious with online!

This is one of the best ideas for Nintendo that I've heard in the past few months. I personally think that Nintendoland is massively underated and not promoted anywhere near as much as it deserves.

Totally agree on it being both a showcase and a promotional platform.

I can't remember but what level did Super Mario 3D World actually require the Gamepad?

Well there are captain toad levels but you can just use the TV and right analogue sticks for those (which confused the hell out of me as the game forces you to use the gamepad for some reason). There are also 2-3 levels in the game where you have to touch the screen to move a block/wall.

Super Mario 3D World needs it for certain levels, Deux Ex HR DC needs it, New Super Mario Bros U needs it for Boost Mode and the Boost Mode challenges, Wii Party U needs it, Sonic Lost World needs it for the bonus stages, Rayman Legends needs it for about half of the whole game, Dr Luigi needs it for Germ Buster... (and then there's all the games that are greatly enhanced by it like Pikmin 3, Zelda TWW HD, The Wonderful 101, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Resident Evil Revelations...)

But it doesn't matter because it's not getting dropped and Nintendo are doubling down on it with their future games (as they should be!)

I did metion Deus Ex :wink:

But yeah fair enough I forgot bout games that don't "require" it outright but do use it for some parts.

Games like WW, W101 (both of which I have and only played with GP btw, loved its use in those) etc I wasn't counting cause they all can be played 100% without it as I was talking about games that would be 100% unplayable without it, like how you need a Balance Board for Wii Fit or need Motion+ for Skyward Sword, Nintendo could have just added a "use a Gamepad for extra features" or something to the boxarts of games that can "also work with GP" :heh: (again in this hypothetical scenario)

The Q&A is up in English now

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/index.html

Some choice ones

Q 1

I would like to know more about the new application for smart devices. Do consumers have to pay money to use it? Does this application generate profit itself in addition to promoting the existing hardware and software businesses? Or, does this application have a beneficial effect on increasing hardware and software sales? And, how do third-party publishers come into play? Additionally, I would like to ask you about your research and development expenses. Just focusing on the fourth quarter (January-March 2014), they will increase about 80% compared with the same period last fiscal year. Do you expect to continue to see similar expenses next fiscal year, or is it a temporary increase?

A 1

Satoru Iwata (President):

The goal of our application on smart devices is not to generate profit, at least in the short-term. The biggest point is to create consumer awareness and use that opportunity to have consumers know more about our information. As I mentioned in the presentation that people’s lifestyles have changed, we are beginning to see big generational differences in terms of how they watch TV and how often they interact with TV commercials. Consumers who acquired information only through TV or other mass media in the past now get their information through smart devices or the Internet. With the growth of the Internet, PCs and smart devices, as well as social media that enables you to see easily what others are saying, have become such important methods with which people gather information and make judgments. The key aspect is that Nintendo would like to establish a firm channel on smart devices through which we can connect with consumers. This channel will enable not only us but also third-party publishers to communicate all the fun content on Nintendo platforms to consumers. However, we cannot expect consumers to activate our application every day if we only establish a channel that is solely dedicated to advertising. We would have to make efforts to provide a channel for consumers that makes them entertained, pleased and happy in order to have them use our application frequently. The application market for smart devices is already extremely competitive, so it is generally very difficult to have consumers activate a single application on a continual basis. Perhaps it would not be too difficult to simply have people download our application and have them try it just once, but ensuring continued engagement is going to be challenging. We are determined to take on this challenge, fully understanding the situation in which we are going to place ourselves. Once we have established such an environment, however, we will be able to dramatically change the relationship between Nintendo and consumers. In addition, while we had no other choice but to use TV commercials in the past, we feel that adding such a new communication tool will be a cost-effective measure as a whole, so we are thinking about this issue in a holistic manner.

Regarding the research and development expenses for this fiscal year, many people seem to have been surprised by such a sudden increase and I heard from the IR team that they received many questions on this topic from financial analysts. Yesterday, I received the same question when we made our financial announcement at the Osaka Securities Exchange and answered that we decided to increase our forecasted expenses this fiscal year in order to tackle some of the areas that we feel we are not strong at, and this is an investment toward the future. I will not, however, go into detail about these specific areas since doing so does not benefit Nintendo or our shareholders. Please also note that the rise is unique to this fiscal year and it does not signify a general rise for and beyond the next fiscal year.

Q 4-1

With Nintendo’s three consecutive operating losses in the spotlight, I think Mr. Iwata is in a very difficult position, similar to the time he was tasked with rebuilding HAL Laboratory. I think Mr. Iwata could’ve chosen the easier option, which was to easily take responsibility by just resigning, but he didn’t choose that path. I would like Mr. Iwata to tell us his thoughts on this decision. I feel that the drop in the company’s performance was largely due to the fact that Nintendo was not able to communicate the value of Wii U well. Nintendo has consistently failed to release enough titles in the initial launch periods of both Nintendo 3DS and Wii U, and I would like Mr. Miyamoto to tell us what he intends to do about this problem in the future. In response to the drop in the company’s financial performance, people have also described Wii U’s technical specifications as low, and I would like to ask Mr. Takeda to tell us whether he intends to communicate more widely the ideas and philosophy behind the development of the Wii U hardware to dispel such myths. Finally, it appears that Nintendo is struggling to gain third-party support, a point which I would like Mr. Iwata to comment on.

A 4-1

Iwata:

Whether a platform can achieve great market penetration or not depends on its momentum. With momentum, we can expect a lot of synergistic effects. On the other hand, when a platform loses momentum, various forces work against it. Nintendo DS, while it struggled in the beginning, achieved a turnaround later. With Wii, we were fortunate enough to cross the chasm* between early adopters and early majority, something one must overcome in order to popularize products, including video game systems, before we even knew we did. Nintendo 3DS had a difficult beginning, but we managed to turn it around later. So far, we have not been able to do so with Wii U. This is where we stand right now. I have never thought of resignation as an option, and I believe that my job is to do whatever I can do to deliver results, and I am as passionate about this responsibility as ever. However, as we need to take responsibility in some way, we announced that our management would receive compensation cuts. About your comment that we failed to communicate the value of Wii U, I will first ask Mr. Miyamoto to share his thoughts on the game shortages in the launch periods, then Mr. Takeda to share his thoughts on the widespread misunderstandings about the Wii U hardware, and then I will talk about our thoughts on third-party support.

* Reference to “Crossing the Chasm” by Geoffrey A. Moore, published in 1991.

Shigeru Miyamoto (Senior Managing Director):

I interpret the question as asking whether we are making the same mistake every time we launch a new hardware system. While we are always working on this, I think you are right in the sense that we have not been able to deliver results. When we launched Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo DS, we were unable to release any games from any of our main Nintendo franchises to coincide with their launches. With Wii U, however, we released, along with the hardware, “New Super Mario Bros. U,” as well as “Nintendo Land,” which was a very unique proposition. If you look beyond, we also released a new installment in the Pikmin series after a long interval, and we also had “Super Mario 3D World” at the end of last year. By the end of this year, we will have “Mario Kart 8,” as well as “Super Smash Bros.” Therefore, I feel that we have managed to overcome the challenge of releasing enough first-party franchises on Wii U. Also, despite their sales falling below our expectations so far, I do not think that these games were not well-received because they lacked appeal. We received a top score for “Super Mario 3D World” from Metacritic, a site which gives weighted average scores for games, at the end of last year, and our games are highly praised for their quality. The fact that they did not lead to generating wider consumer interest among the general public is, however, something that we have to take very seriously. If you look at just Japan, however, “Super Mario 3D World” was very well-received by children, with Cat Mario gaining ground. Consumers also seem very excited about “Mario Kart 8,” and I am confident that they will want to buy it once they have played it. Our biggest downfall last year was that we failed to communicate the true value of Wii U, failed to make children persuade their parents to buy our products for them, and failed to offer products that parents could not resist. What we can do about it from now on is our theme. As Mr. Iwata explained earlier, we are confident that “Nintendo Land” offered compelling as well as Nintendo-like gameplay experiences for, say, four or five people when they gathered in the living room by taking full advantage of the two screens, but some of the single-player experiences were rather weak. It is my conviction that we will need to put more focus on creating experiences that utilize the GamePad that can also be fully enjoyed when playing alone. The fact that the GamePad and the TV interact as soon as Wii U is switched on is very important as it means that our consumers are always able to enjoy stable gaming experiences. Unlike a tablet device with a TV, the two screens are always connected when they are switched on. In terms of user experience, we are currently working on the amount of time it takes to load a game, but it is very important that we have a guaranteed environment in which the GamePad and the TV are connected. We know that having such an environment allows for various useful propositions for the living room, and we have continued to develop software in this spirit. In terms of our efforts toward ensuring that we supply the market with adequate titles at all times, although it may come across as an excuse, I would like to mention that Wii U has massively evolved from Wii technologically. Using shader technology, for example, has significantly changed our development environment as well as our developers themselves and the time to develop games, all of which are areas toward which we have been making significant reinforcements. Although we have recreated some of our past games for Wii U, we are actually trying to use many outside developers to help us do so, while we focus our internal resources on making new games. I feel confident that we have made a significant improvement in this regard. Moreover, we are trying to cut down the time it takes to create a suitable development environment as it has proven to be a huge bottleneck, and we are continuing to make improvements in this area across the whole company, too. I think that we will be able to smoothly carry out the process of upgrading Nintendo franchises and offering them to our consumers in a stable fashion on future systems.

Iwata:

Many people say that when a platform loses its momentum, it tends to receive little third-party support, but I think it is not a matter of the number of titles but the real problem lies in the availability of popular software that is selling explosively. You might somehow misunderstand that Wii had a lot of games from the start, but Wii and Wii U had a similar number of titles in their launch periods. However, Wii had “Wii Sports,” a title that could be enjoyed alone or with a group of people, whose appeal was easy to understand and communicated itself widely. Many people have said that “Nintendo Land” is a great game to play with a group of people, but its single-player experiences have not been received as well. As a result, “Nintendo Land” differed in its ability to appeal to consumers and communicate its simplicity. Of course, we have to learn from our mistake in the first half of last year in which we failed to release a sufficient amount of software, but the reason that became such a serious problem was because there weren’t enough titles that sold over an extended period, continued to provide buzz in society and remained active. This is more of a question of quality, not quantity, and the problem is that we have not been able to release winning hits. Creating winning hits is something that I always discuss with Mr. Miyamoto.

Next, I would like Mr. Takeda to respond to your comment that we should be more proactive in communicating the technical aspects of Wii U as people say, among many other misunderstandings, that Wii U’s technical specifications are low and it is difficult to develop games on Wii U.

Genyo Takeda (Senior Managing Director):

Mr. Iwata just explained that Nintendo leads an integrated hardware-software business. To put it differently, combining technology with entertainment creates machines. Under such circumstances, Nintendo tries not to emphasize the raw technical specifications of our hardware. We have focused on how we can use technology to amplify the value of our entertainment offerings, and in this sense, technology for us is something that stays in the background. Therefore, I do not wish to make excuses for having so far failed to offer the “amplifier” that our consumers can regard as having true entertainment value. Whether a machine is powerful or not only has meaning in the context of whether that can express itself in terms of gameplay to consumers, and I therefore do not intend to go into fine detail about the specific numbers. I apologize for not directly answering your question, but it is my personal belief that explanations of such a nature have little relevance to consumers.

Q 5

You have explained your concern about users being divided by hardware. Currently, you have both a handheld device business and a home console business. I would like to know whether the organizational changes that took place last year are going to lead to, for example, the integration of handheld devices and home consoles into one system over the medium term, or a focus on cost saving and the improvement of resource efficiency in the medium run. Please also explain if you still have room to reduce research and development expenses.

A 5

Iwata:

Last year Nintendo reorganized its R&D divisions and integrated the handheld device and home console development teams into one division under Mr. Takeda. Previously, our handheld video game devices and home video game consoles had to be developed separately as the technological requirements of each system, whether it was battery-powered or connected to a power supply, differed greatly, leading to completely different architectures and, hence, divergent methods of software development. However, because of vast technological advances, it became possible to achieve a fair degree of architectural integration. We discussed this point, and we ultimately concluded that it was the right time to integrate the two teams.

For example, currently it requires a huge amount of effort to port Wii software to Nintendo 3DS because not only their resolutions but also the methods of software development are entirely different. The same thing happens when we try to port Nintendo 3DS software to Wii U. If the transition of software from platform to platform can be made simpler, this will help solve the problem of game shortages in the launch periods of new platforms. Also, as technological advances took place at such a dramatic rate, and we were forced to choose the best technologies for video games under cost restrictions, each time we developed a new platform, we always ended up developing a system that was completely different from its predecessor. The only exception was when we went from Nintendo GameCube to Wii. Though the controller changed completely, the actual computer and graphics chips were developed very smoothly as they were very similar to those of Nintendo GameCube, but all the other systems required ground-up effort. However, I think that we no longer need this kind of effort under the current circumstances. In this perspective, while we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture. It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.

Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment. However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages as we attempt to move from one platform to another, and we believe that we will be able to deliver tangible results in the future.

That translated Q&A makes me want to punch Iwata. The Wii U's failings is not because it doesn't have a Wii Sports (i.e. That 'one' big title), it's because it's suffering from the same old problem that they've had for almost a decade in that the games they are releasing aren't diverse enough to appeal to the large majority of western gamers. Furthermore, games like NSMBU, SM3DW, Pikmin 3 and even upcoming titles like MK8 and SSB:U just seem like newer versions of older games; the majority of people can't justify buying a new console for that.

Furthermore, games like NSMBU, SM3DW, Pikmin 3 and even upcoming titles like MK8 and SSB:U just seem like newer versions of older games; the majority of people can't justify buying a new console for that.

Yet they can for the new Killzone, Halo, Call of Duty etc.? Ok :) It's just they just seem like newer versions of older games.

Yet they can for the new Killzone, Halo, Call of Duty etc.? Ok :) It's just they just seem like newer versions of older games.

Don't ignore all the new IP just to make a point. You and I both know there was a lot of exciting new IP created last gen on the non-Nintendo consoles.

People don't buy PS4's for games like Killzone, CoD etc, they buy it because it's an investment for new games, both first and 3rd party.

You know this, so stop trolling.

Hang on. Some really selective debating going here. Is Wonderful 101 not a new IP, or Hyrule Warriors, or Lego City, X etc? You can't pick the franchises which suit your point (rehashes of sold games) and then slam someone else for doing the same. With regards to sales, i think the best selling games of the year show quite clearly that people are more than happy to buy the same games tweaked every year. Not criticises (no actually I am) but I thought that was a pretty established fact.

He did address the 3rd party problem, albeit in a very Nintendo centric manner, but he is president of Nintendo!

Wii had Wii sports, that really sold the Wii to the public.

Wii U has.... what? Basically that is what he is saying in regards to the Wii U.

Killer app = mega sales = 3rd party interest.

With 3rd parties, the bottom line is they are companies, looking to back the winning horse to support.

The year head start didn't give Nintendo a healthy number of customers, which they needed to compete against the other more beefed up consoles.

Had they achieved that it's plausible that 3rd parties may have looked more closely at ways of incorporating the game pad into exciting gameplay scenarios.

As it stands, Nintendo have a currently unpromising position in the home console race this gen, meaning it makes more sense to focus on gorgeous visuals and more complex gaming environments that require lots of number crunching. Once they build up those areas, it makes investing into the "new input method" less attractive.

You'd just get token off screen gameplay, at a push.

To get 3rd party support now, I would imagine one of these scenario's would have to play out.

1)PS4/X1 stall, dead, Wii U miraculously starts selling like hot cakes.

2) Nintendo work closely with third parties, maybe pay rolling ports, providing other support, providing staff etc.

who knows, maybe there are other scenarios, but I don't anticipate huge 3rd party support, nor did I when I purchased the Wii U. I purposely purchased it hoping for a relative "flop" like the gamecube. In fact I bought the Wii in the same hope, and was pretty disappointed by it. In a way the Wii U is like a time warp for me, this is what the Wii should have been!

Edited by Pestneb

Hang on. Some really selective debating going here. Is Wonderful 101 not a new IP, or Hyrule Warriors, or Lego City, X etc?

Zelda and LEGO are definitely not new IPs, and isn't X a Xeno game?

Wonderful 101 is, but most people forget that Nintendo have anything to do with it, and see it as a Platinum franchise.

Hang on. Some really selective debating going here. Is Wonderful 101 not a new IP, or Hyrule Warriors, or Lego City, X etc? You can't pick the franchises which suit your point (rehashes of sold games) and then slam someone else for doing the same. With regards to sales, i think the best selling games of the year show quite clearly that people are more than happy to buy the same games tweaked every year. Not criticises (no actually I am) but I thought that was a pretty established fact.

Thank you. You essentially responded with what I was going to. Plus, how many of these "exciting new IPs" were released in the first year of those consoles.

Edited by Serebii

The problem with the 'killer app' approach is that it is all or nothing. You either manage to create a killer app, and do well, or you lose all support. It's not really sustainable given that the Wii was totally unexpected and in many ways was in the right place at the right time. It'd be very unusual for them to have a Wii situation again any time soon.

Although technically it doesn't because I played it on the PS3 :p

What do they use the Gamepad for in the DLC out of interest to make it feel needed?

Zelda and LEGO are definitely not new IPs, and isn't X a Xeno game?

Wonderful 101 is, but most people forget that Nintendo have anything to do with it, and see it as a Platinum franchise.

Was ssb on N64 a new IP?

Lego city = Lego + GTA

Zelda = dynasty warriors + Zelda.

SSB = fighter + various Nintendo IP's.

I personally would see Zelda, lego and ssb as new IP's, although I don't have enough experience with lego games to comment with much confidence on that one.

X and TW101 certainly are ones that I love, however the former hasn't even come out yet.

As for TW101, look at the sales it got; it clearly isn't the type of game that is going to make people rush out to get the system.

As I've mentioned before (and others seem to agree with), Nintendo need new I.P's that appeal to those in the west. Unfortunately, a game like TW101 has no chance of having the same impact as Uncharted, Gears of War etc.

@Serebii, your point on whether those 'exciting new IP's come out in the first year of those consoles' suggests you didn't actually read my post. I used the term investment; people are more than willing to invest in a PS4 because they know that those games are coming.

Edited by Goron_3

Smash Bros was a new IP as it was a collection of many into a new package.

Hyrule Warriors is a spin-off like Mario Kart is (and LittleBigPlanet Karting), and I see the LEGO games as one IP - I don't think that LEGO Marvel Super Heroes isn't a new IP, even though it's LEGO + GTA + Superheroes.

And it's not like Nintendo can't do more new IPs - Epic Yarn could have easily been a great new IP, but they threw Kirby in there.

Edited by Cube

Nintendo don't own Lego City surely? they simply helped that game get made.

Warner Brothers could get a Lego City sequel made for multiplatforms any time, no?

Hyrule Warriors is just a spin-off Zelda game (and not exciting either IMO as it looks to be being made pretty poorly).

I think when people talk about New Nintendo IP, a lot are talking about games from First Party Nintendo studios, not studios Nintendo has thrown money at. People want to know what the next big Nintendo games/characters are going to be that aren't prefixed by the Wii name. What Nintendo themselves are creating.

But that wasn't the conversation... it was someone said people don't want new versions of old games like Mario, Pikmin and mario kart; someone said yes they do look at cod, killzone and fifa etc Which is true. Then that was rebuffed saying "people don't buy those consoles for those games, but for new games" which is why i said there are new games for the wii u.

The fact people changed their arguments slightly about brand new ip and nintendo made ones is different to he original point...

Hyrule Warrios is as non-new IP as you can get. It is a cut and paste job of Zelda characters onto the Dynasty Warriors archetype. You can't even say as a crossover thing it's new, because the exact same thing has been done with Gundam (Gundam x Dynasty Warriors crossover). It blew chunks.