NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Nintendo Investors Meeting ( now in english )

Haha. It's funny because it's true. (Smashes face into his bowl of krave).

Na. Nintendo's expansion in R&D and workforce allow for delving into that without impacting the console/handheld development.

I think it was a joke serebii. (Re: Guy)

I think it was pretty bad in all honesty and absolutely NOTHING that helps now.

He admitted marketing to 3ds and Wii u made them both suffer. Solution? Have a 3rd pillar to take even more resources away.

The desire for blue ocean is an absolutely losers strategy with regards to video games.

Using smart phones for a service which only benefits current users.

Abandoning the gamepad in all it's games, then saying they're goings of ull focus on it..

DS virtual consoles on the Wii u. Now this is just bizarre. It'll look awful for a start, but why not both. Why not GameCube?

It all felt really desperate, and nothing that the Wii u and Nintendo actually need.

I agree, it's terrible. The lower priced games thing is a loyalty program, right? What they need to do is reduce the price of their games across the board. I don't want to walk into a game store and still see 3 year old titles priced at £30 or above.

'Blue ocean' = 'we can't compete'

And not abandoning the costly gamepad when most people don't care about it?

Essentially stating that NNID is fine for now, check back next generation? Fuck me...

Really bad news. It's really sad to see Nintendo fall to such a low and to be led by such a jackass.

So apart from this health bollocks what they said is "more of the same". Because I'm sure they've highlighted the need to make sure people know the Wii U and Gamepad is a new machine several times before.

Great news that they're not abandoning the GamePad. I'd love to see a much bigger effort into using it in gameplay.

I agree, it's terrible. The lower priced games thing is a loyalty program, right? What they need to do is reduce the price of their games across the board. I don't want to walk into a game store and still see 3 year old titles priced at £30 or above.

'Blue ocean' = 'we can't compete'

And not abandoning the costly gamepad when most people don't care about it?

Essentially stating that NNID is fine for now, check back next generation? Fuck me...

Really bad news. It's really sad to see Nintendo fall to such a low and to be led by such a jackass.

What? So they are not going to actually reduce RRP of software and redue the price of old games?

No way should Iwata be congrulated in regard to a proper account system and its absurd that in 2014 his actually mentioning this.

I was worried last week with some quotes as it suggested Iwata was still all about finding the next gimmick rather than focusing on on what core gamers want.

Diversification is something that any Nintendo fan should be happy about. It means that they can reach a wider audience without having to compromise on the quality of their games. This cross-platform approach with the shared NNID, discounts and such also means that this new audience would also be given an entry point into Nintendo's games too. Even if Nintendo-Lifestyle and Nintendo-Games end up being separate divisions; there's a lot of potential for cross platform synergy and a bigger audience for Nintendo products in general.

It also helps to subsidize the gaming products that end up being high quality, but don't sell very well.

It's a win for everyone, even if you're not personally interested in their new QOL products and services.

Edited by Dcubed

Diversification is something that any Nintendo fan should be happy about. It means that they can reach a wider audience without having to compromise on the quality of their games. This cross-platform approach with the shared NNID, discounts and such also means that this new audience would also be given an entry point into Nintendo's games too. Even though Nintendo-Lifestyle and Nintendo-Games end up being separate divisions; there's a lot of potential for cross platform synergy and a bigger audience for Nintendo products in general.

It also helps to subsidize the gaming products that end up being high quality, but don't sell very well.

It's a win for everyone, even if you're not personally interested in their new QOL products and services.

As I have asked before what are they doing to fix the Wii U disaster?

They're pushing further software to prove why the GamePad is a must have. They'll be heavily marketing etc.

Just dropping the GamePad and dropping the price would do sod all.

The only way they can. Better software support (making the Wii U their focus, while letting the 3DS coast on the already great lineup it has coming up this year) and a stern focus on games that could ONLY be made using the Gamepad/TV 2 screened setup. The key is to add value, NOT to just price drop.

There's nothing else that they could possibly do. A price drop is impossible (due to how much money they're losing) and not a solution to the root problem anyway (likewise, dropping the Gamepad to lower the price would only make things worse as it removes the console's main USP and does nothing to add value to the product). Dropping the Wii U altogether is not an option either as they have no replacement for it and it would destroy all consumer confidence in their brand overnight.

I don't know what else you're expecting here...

What? So they are not going to actually reduce RRP of software and redue the price of old games?

No way should Iwata be congrulated in regard to a proper account system and its absurd that in 2014 his actually mentioning this.

I was worried last week with some quotes as it suggested Iwata was still all about finding the next gimmick rather than focusing on on what core gamers want.

Even worse - it's people who buy lots of games who get the discounts -

If we succeed in the redefinition of video game platforms that I speak of today, our account-based connections with consumers will become very clear. For example, until now it has been taken for granted that software is offered to users at the same price regardless of how many titles they purchase in a year, be it one, five or even ten titles. Based on our account system, if we can offer flexible price points to consumers who meet certain conditions, we can create a situation where these consumers can enjoy our software at cheaper price points when they purchase more.

Not read the full thing just the quotes HoT posted in OP and all I see "more of the same" with no real changes being made that will benefit "me the long-time Nintendo gamer"

What is this Blue Ocean crap still? I thought we were done with this? It did great for the Wii, fair play but that ocean is dry and barron now. Why are they so focused on trying to regain that "casual non-gamer" market when they are starting to lose their long-term Nintendo Game loving customers?

Wanting to move even further away from the Competition? WTF? Ok I didn't wantto get involved in that whole "Iwata should go" crap over the last couple of weeks, in my mind I thought "wait and see what he does"...well I've seen and now I think he has no clue!

Nintendo is a video game company, you make video games, Sony and MS both also make video game hardware and software.... the only way you will not be in "competition" with them is if you stop making video games!

I expected to at least see something said about moving their Online infrastructure forward, but instead we get "NNID's will do for now, we'll come up with something more "current" in teh "Next-gen"..... instead lets think of more ways to create unique local multiplayer expereinces in a day and age when most of the customers we have left are all adults and rarely have friends over to play locally.... sure we could offer better online options and let them have great expereinces but hey we have to be careful of stranger-danger afteral so lets keep our online stuff stuck back in a gen or 2 behind, perfect"

I also see nothing about working with or even addressing 3rd parties (western or eastern), so are they still towing the line of "if we make good games people will buy the Wii U and then 3rd parties will wat to come back on their own?" yeah cause that plan really spike up sales to desired levels at the end of last year didn't they. All I was thinking reading this was that they are just gonna push 3rd parties even further away.

Forget about getting Nintendo to get out of their little bubble it looks like they have put another bubble around their bubble instead.

There had better be an ND soon with announcements of some good "core"-targeted type games coming soon, hell I better seeing something new Metroid, Zelda, F-Zero or 1080 related soon the prospects of getting even just 2 of those 4 frachises (well we know Zelda is coming but I want to see something now) is all that is keeping me interested now.

Though I am kinda glad to see they are not dropping the GP, and are more focused on trying to utilise it HOWEVER that is something they should have done a year ago when they launched teh bloody thing.

Hopefully this means I can has Fatal Frame 5 announed soon anyway.....(surely the perfect match for the GP)

Diversification is something that any Nintendo fan should be happy about.

Nobody should be happy with this news. This was their chance to cut out the gamepad and lower the cost to the customer so people could start picking this up at gamecube prices (£130). Sure they'd take another hit but for one, they can afford it, and second, they could start producing these things cheaper in future. They'd sell more, no doubt. They also needed to reduce the cost of their games across the board - something they haven't done.

A console itself does not need a USP. That is the flawed philosophy to which Nintendo have ascribed. They looked at the Wii and thought they needed another gimmick, to make systems fly off the shelves. They don't. People want to play Nintendo games - give them either a high end console that is suitably priced, or a low end console priced affordably.

Also the DS Virtual Console garners a resounding 'meh' from me - you can already pick up DS games for bargain priced and play them on 3DS. Then there's piracy competition - you can get a flashcard to play any DS game on 3DS. And lastly, Nintendo suck at getting VC games out, and we've just had the DS generation. Feels too soon to me.

Cutting the GamePad was not a logical option. Yes, it would have cut the console's price down, but it'd require considerable manpower to recode the entire console. The console would lose its hook. Do you honestly believe people would start to pick up Wii Us if they dropped it?

Nintendo has always had to make the GamePad seem worth it, something they failed to do for most people who haven't touched the console. They are just going to further it.

Edited by Serebii

All of it sounds acceptable really, the most important thing is new software that actually justifies a WiiU (and the gamepad). Let's hope that software turns out decent AND comes around quickly!

Even worse - it's people who buy lots of games who get the discounts -

I just dont understand why nothing is being done to address the poor software sales of the 3DS/Wii U right now.

This to me just sounds stupid!!

The console would lose its hook. Do you honestly believe people would start to pick up Wii Us if they dropped it?

People buy consoles to play games. The Nintendo software should be the hook.

Nobody is buying a Wii U right now are they? They havent done for months yet the solution is to wait until some software which actually justifies the gamepad is released?

Why did they produce a console with a gamepad and have no software which sells 'the hook'?

Edited by liger05

Just had a thought about this new "3rd pillar" and QoL product.

Remember when they announced the DS and it was called a "3rd pillar" to go alongside the GBA and Gamecube. It originally wasn't there to replace the GBA but in the end what happened?

So lets assume for a second this new 3rd Pillar, QoL product (or whatever it is) takes off with non-gamers to the point it massively out performs sales of say the Wii U.

Going into the next "next-gen" of game systems is there then a risk of Nintendo dropping the proper home console in favour of going forward with just QoL and 3DS?

Granted in the case of the DS it was still a gamer focused device so it didn't matter much when the Gameboy brand/line was set aside. But if Nintendo in the future saw more profit opportunities from this QoL 3rd pillar and their "core-home console" doesn't live to expectations then what incentive do they have to keep going with 3 pillars?

but it'd require considerable manpower to recode the entire console.

Proof?

The console would lose its hook.

lolwut? What hook? If it had a hook, they wouldn't be in this position.

Do you honestly believe people would start to pick up Wii Us if they dropped it?

Yes? Do you honestly believe people are picking it up now, while it has the gamepad?

Nintendo has always had to make the GamePad seem worth it, something they failed to do for most people who haven't touched the console. They are just going to further it.

Wrong choice.

Proof?

lolwut? What hook? If it had a hook, they wouldn't be in this position.

Yes? Do you honestly believe people are picking it up now, while it has the gamepad?

Wrong choice.

Proof? Well, you can't control the Wii U without the GamePad. Many games have features that won't work without the GamePad. Ergo, they'd need to rework the entire OS and those games for it. The fact you can't see that is astonishing.

Also, just because the hook isn't doing well right now doesn't mean it should be abandoned.

It truly seems that you want Nintendo to be a "me too" company. If that's the case, then you picked the wrong company to support. They have never been that.

Cutting the GamePad was not a logical option. Yes, it would have cut the console's price down, but it'd require considerable manpower to recode the entire console. The console would lose its hook. Do you honestly believe people would start to pick up Wii Us if they dropped it?

People aren't activitely staying away from the Wii U (or picking it up for that matter) because of the Gamepad; the main issue is the price it costs to get the machine. The gamepad is a non-issue; it just adds to the cost without being necessary.

Cutting the gamepad would have allowed for a cheaper console (say £179) which is reasonable for the power you're getting and lack of 3rd party support. You're also getting a console that plays Nintendo games, including the upcoming Mario Kart and Smash Brothers and that also features a fantastic, unique input method with the Wiimote and Nunchuk. Sort out the virtual console and you have a console that is worth considering.

People aren't activitely staying away from the Wii U (or picking it up for that matter) because of the Gamepad; the main issue is the price it costs to get the machine. The gamepad is a non-issue; it just adds to the cost without being necessary.

Cutting the gamepad would have allowed for a cheaper console (say £179) which is reasonable for the power you're getting and lack of 3rd party support. You're also getting a console that plays Nintendo games, including the upcoming Mario Kart and Smash Brothers and that also features a fantastic, unique input method with the Wiimote and Nunchuk. Sort out the virtual console and you have a console that is worth considering.

I dont know for sure but I do wonder whether people want to play games with a controller like that? Standard small controllers seem to me what people expect.

Just had a thought about this new "3rd pillar" and QoL product.

Remember when they announced the DS and it was called a "3rd pillar" to go alongside the GBA and Gamecube. It originally wasn't there to replace the GBA but in the end what happened?

So lets assume for a second this new 3rd Pillar, QoL product (or whatever it is) takes off with non-gamers to the point it massively out performs sales of say the Wii U.

Going into the next "next-gen" of game systems is there then a risk of Nintendo dropping the proper home console in favour of going forward with just QoL and 3DS?

Granted in the case of the DS it was still a gamer focused device so it didn't matter much when the Gameboy brand/line was set aside. But if Nintendo in the future saw more profit opportunities from this QoL 3rd pillar and their "core-home console" doesn't live to expectations then what incentive do they have to keep going with 3 pillars?

Did they stop working on traditional games when the likes of Brain Training and Wii Fit went on to become runaway successes?

There's your answer there :)

Now remembering I am one who likes the Gamepad I do have to ask...

What would have to be recoded if they dropped the GP and sold it seperatly?

Any consoles packaged with say a Pro Controller and without a GP would just need a patch so that on startup it boots the menu to the TV instead of the Gamepad.

Could also roll out that patch to all current WiiU's in an update so that you could for example turn on the console using the Pro Controller and if you had a GamePad it wouldn't turn on unless it's own power button was pressed and again the console would then know there was no GP in use and therefor put boot with the menu on the TV.

I hardly think such a patch would require "considerable manpower".

What else? Miiverse, so for those without a GP give them an onscreen keyboard or USB Keyboard support. The only thing they lose is the ability to draw.

And then games that require the GamePad.... well that's no different than games that required Wii Motion+, if you want to play the game get the Pad simple as. It's not like there are many games that require it anyway is there?

I can only think of 3. NintendoLand, ZombiU and maybe Deus Ex (don't think you can use the Pro Controller with Deux Ex) So it's not like there's a massive amount of games that would be effected.

It truly seems that you want Nintendo to be a "me too" company. If that's the case, then you picked the wrong company to support. They have never been that.

What is this supposed to mean?

Nintendo have never been a company that bleeds money either but they are doing that now on a regular basis.

Did they stop working on traditional games when the likes of Brain Training and Wii Fit went on to become runaway successes?

There's your answer there :)

True, but if their new "3rd pillar" is focused sole on "non-core" games for the "expanded audience" then they are not likely to be putting "core" games on it.

I was trying to say with the DS, at least that catered for both sides, this new 3rd pillar (it appears) won't.

They're pushing further software to prove why the GamePad is a must have. They'll be heavily marketing etc.

Just dropping the GamePad and dropping the price would do sod all.

So in 2 years time we'll know the GamePad is worth having? The time is now.