NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Nintendo Investors Meeting ( now in english )

The whole same architecture and os sounds good but I worry again if Nintendo will consult third parties. A different architecture to one the competition uses means more work for those developers.

I appreciate what you're saying, but why would the weaker device (the handheld, for instance) have exclusives? If the machines use the same architecture, every game could be scaled up very easily.

To be honest, I haven't used iOS personally, but I assume there are different tiers and standards (I must admit, I'm surprised there is software that works on iPhone, but not iPad)? In theory, Nintendo could introduce a new standard more frequently than it currently releases new consoles. For example, a new Zelda that doesn't work on the very weakest platform, is OK on the intermediate device and is best of all on the deluxe console.

Why shouldn't it have exclusives? They're not trying to make one unified device with different SKUs. They're just making it so their handheld and their console have similar architecture to allow for a uniformity in accounts/connectivity, and to make it easier for the developers.

I will be very, very, very, very surprised if all Nintendo handheld games can suddenly work on the home console due to this.

Why shouldn't it have exclusives? They're not trying to make one unified device with different SKUs. They're just making it so their handheld and their console have similar architecture to allow for a uniformity in accounts/connectivity, and to make it easier for the developers.

I will be very, very, very, very surprised if all Nintendo handheld games can suddenly work on the home console due to this.

You worried about covering another version of Pokemon? :D

You worried about covering another version of Pokemon? :D

No, I just can tell based on what they said that this isn't what's going to happen :p

as much as I despise EA, Nintendo either need to get them back on board of find another studio that will make some sports titles. A lack of sports games must be damaging, and I can't believe FIFA would not shift enough units to make it worthwhile fro EA. You've only got to look at the charts and see FIFA 14 on PS4 as the biggest selling game to realise how important it is to a console.

as much as I despise EA, Nintendo either need to get them back on board of find another studio that will make some sports titles. A lack of sports games must be damaging, and I can't believe FIFA would not shift enough units to make it worthwhile fro EA. You've only got to look at the charts and see FIFA 14 on PS4 as the biggest selling game to realise how important it is to a console.

Or, with how EA is regarded at the moment, they should market the Wii U as

100% EA Free

Now that'd get sales.

The Fifa that was released on the Wii U bombed hard. Madden also bombed hard.

Its a blow not having titles like Fifa or Madden as they are staple titles now and its expected that any viable platform would have these games.

iPhone games and apps DO work on the iPad!? (seemed no one heard me last time)

I am very certain their handheld games will work on the next console. I think aping mobile systems will be how it will work exactly. Crossplay games as and when, all handheld games work on the main console. Shared digital stores. And it'd be amazing (and 8 years late, but still welcome)

Apples greatest trick was tying people to their eco system, everyone else is doing the same thing now. How awesome was it for PS4 owners to get all those PSN games upressed at launch?!! For free!

Edited by dazzybee
Automerged Doublepost

How awesome was it for PS4 owners to get all those PSN games upressed at launch?!! For free!

What is this you speak of?

What is this you speak of?

Weren't flower, Eascape Plan and Sound Shapes available on the ps4 if you already had them?!

This shared architecture approach isn't about having handheld games running on console (and vice versa), but rather it's about having engines and assets that can be shared across all of their devices; drastically increasing their development productivity.

Iwata has already said that they're not looking at making a combined handheld/console device (in fact he's hinted at even more SKUs possibly entering the mix!). Handhelds and consoles offer the chance for different kinds of experiences, both in terms of control interface and game design (handheld = shorter play sessions, different communication possibilities etc) and Nintendo don't want to give that up - not would they want to give up that extra hardware revenue stream...

I know that's the ultimate goal, but I still think handheld games will work. Bit like Apple tv, Playstation TV etc

iPhone games and apps DO work on the iPad!? (seemed no one heard me last time)

That's what I thought, but I was typing mine when you posted yours.

Why shouldn't it have exclusives?

Why would it though? The handheld's selling point would be that it was £100 or so cheaper.

Look at it this way: Nintendo has spent resources (one of its biggest problems) making a handheld title. This game can be ported to the more powerful machine/s with a click of the fingers - it would be absolutely ridiculous not to do so. By doing this they would get added revenue from the extra sales and boost the bigger console's library in one go.

People would be free to play on whichever machine suited their budget/lifestyle (with the biggest releases still requiring the most powerful console). This is the answer to many of Nintendo's problems: all its developers working towards the same goal and not taking away from each other.

I don't really feel like Nintendo are missing out not having EA Sports on board [not that I play them], they haven't done a great job with their sports games lately have they?

If Nintendo got it's act together they could have a great sports division themselves...

WaveRace

PunchOut

Excitebike

Mario Golf

Mario Tennis

Mario Strikers

They just need to start giving these franchises out to other developers if they insist on not utilising them themselves.

---

Also, does anyone think there's a real gap in the market for F-Zero at the moment? It's really frustrating me.

I imagine F-Zero is a franchise that PlayStation owners would always quite admire? despite having their own futuritic racer in WipeOut. I's always a gorgeous looking game with great music and tracks. But especially now that the WipeOut series is out of action at the moment, it might even tempt some PS owners to pick up a Nintendo console to get that fix.

Not only that, but there are such a vast array of realistic racers around at the moment and it would offer a nice variation that isn't a kart racer.

There is always a gap for Fzero :) But with FAST coming that's certainly a block!

As for Sports division, I really think they should release all you send and rebrand them into a sports label, sports is HUGE and IMPORTANT so they need to raise awareness in this issue. I do however, feel they need some more realistic simulation versions, especially football... But it'd be a great start!

There is always a gap for Fzero :) But with FAST coming that's certainly a block!
To me that's a bit depressing, that we have to just settle for FAST. FAST isnt F-Zero, let's not kid ourselves, but to Nintendo it's probably enough.

I don't really feel like Nintendo are missing out not having EA Sports on board [not that I play them], they haven't done a great job with their sports games lately have they?

If Nintendo got it's act together they could have a great sports division themselves...

WaveRace

PunchOut

Excitebike

Mario Golf

Mario Tennis

Mario Strikers

They just need to start giving these franchises out to other developers if they insist on not utilising them themselves.

---

Also, does anyone think there's a real gap in the market for F-Zero at the moment? It's really frustrating me.

I imagine F-Zero is a franchise that PlayStation owners would always quite admire? despite having their own futuritic racer in WipeOut. I's always a gorgeous looking game with great music and tracks. But especially now that the WipeOut series is out of action at the moment, it might even tempt some PS owners to pick up a Nintendo console to get that fix.

Not only that, but there are such a vast array of realistic racers around at the moment and it would offer a nice variation that isn't a kart racer.

I'm sorry but none of the Mario sports games can be taken seriously. Anyone over say 12 wanting to play a proper football game is not going to consider Mario Strikers over FIFA or PES.

I'm sorry but none of the Mario sports games can be taken seriously. Anyone over say 12 wanting to play a proper football game is not going to consider Mario Strikers over FIFA or PES.
No you're right, but the vast majority of people over 12 looking for serious sports games that won't consider Mario will own a PlayStation/Xbox.

I guess I just wish Nintendo would give us some of their damn franchises! :p

That's a little judgemental, though I don't think it IS a replacement for Fifa or PES. But it's incredible in it's own right. But I think people of all ages would love it for it's arcade play and multiplayer!!

But yeah. Like I said. It need the sims!! Maybe golf is the only exception! Nintendo need to realise how important sorts are to game buyers!

To me that's a bit depressing, that we have to just settle for FAST. FAST isnt F-Zero, let's not kid ourselves, but to Nintendo it's probably enough.

I don't know. I have a feeling we're going to start seeing all these franchises this gen. Maybe HD remakes or eshop versions. But we'll see loads of their franchises I reckon!

If Nintendo do first party sport games, they should be aiming for Virtua Tennis on Dreamcast level of quality, Mickey Mouse franchise stuff only gets you so far.

If Nintendo do first party sport games, they should be aiming for Virtua Tennis on Dreamcast level of quality, Mickey Mouse franchise stuff only gets you so far.
Mario Tennis 64 is loved for it's controls and depth isn't it? (probably Golf too but I didn't play it)... but then subsequently the sports titles became more gimmicky.

Mii Golf and some of the other sports have great controls, they just need padding out into full games.

EA wasn't as hated then as it is now :p

The general public don't hate EA, look at FIFA's sales.

Yeah the general public do not hate EA (they may not even be able to tell what games they make) and sales show that. It's the snobbish 'hardcore' that hate them, seemingly for putting out a new iteration of their games at a speed that almost rivals Mario titles.