N-Europe

Awesome Kickstarter projects

Sméagol

Though they have to be non-game related, as you can put those [here]. Furthermore, other crowdfunding projects are allowed as well, I just expect most of them to be from Kickstarter.

Edit: and thanks to the wonderful Ashley, we can now embed Kickstarter videos and widgets. Copy/paste the code and name in the url (behind “projects/”, but don’t include all the other info), and put them between [noparse]

[kickcard]sha/gifpop-custom-gif-cards-for-everyone/widget/card.html" width="220">

They want to start a business by selling printed lenticular cards of animated gifs. I’m tempted to go for the $ 30,- dollar package (all I can miss next month).

@Ashley: didn’t I see somewhere you were working on enabling embedding of Kickstarter videos and/or widgets?

Edited by Sméagol

I've never been on kickstarter so I don't know a bunch of stuff... I get that you promise a sum of money and, if they meet their target, you have to give them that money. In order to exceed that amount they offer various 'prizes' to encourage investors to pay a larger amount -- kinda like dlc but before you buy the game -- this simile does not work for the majority of business that occurs, because usually the bonus content comes in the form of keyrings or posters or free gigs or some shit.

if they don't hit their target, they get none of the offered promised sums. If they do, then they take your money and are under some very inaccurate legislation/guidelines to fulfil their promises -- though generally the successful ones have provided proof of their intentions. I have no idea how succesful scammers are, or how easy that side of things is, and I refuse to draw a parallel with prostitution (even though I have one in my head, and you're all 'wtf j7 that is not relevant at all').

I forgot what I was initially going to say. Sorry.

they offer various 'prizes' to encourage investors to pay a larger amount -- kinda like dlc but before you buy the game

Quite often, most will offer a level (or many levels) for the product itself. The donation amount for the full version of games is generally pretty low ($20-$30ish), and some will offer alpha, beta and physical versions at later prices.

For example, I donated $40 to a game called A Hat in Time. I will get access to the beta, along with two digital copies of the game when it comes out.

And I donated $25 to Jeremy Soule's album, so I'll be sent a signed physical copy when it gets made.

As for scammers, it can be hard to tell the difference between failed projects and scams. For example, OUYA turned out to be a terrible product despite colossal funding.

The only sucessful scams on Kickstarter that I've known about is people funding their own games in order to scam money from OUYA (OUYA said they'll give funding to games that earned over a certain amount on Kickstarter and agree to a 6 month exclusivity period).

• 10 months later...

Digging this up because some of may recall the rather excellent & intense Urbance animation teaser from a while back (below) - well they've finally pulled a full project together and are looking for backing for a full pilot episode to show to investors & broadcasters with the aim to produce a full series. If you're feeling generous enough you can get your name, company or twitter feed incorporated into the episode.

Edited by gaggle64

Not sure if I like premise (though not much is known anyway), but the animation style is great. I´ll see if I can spare something next month, even if it´s just a little..

Use the kickstarter tags by the way.. [kick ]xxx[/kick ] and [kickcard ]xxx[/kickcard ].

• 8 months later...

Bump for an awesome Indiegogo campaign.

Play this first, then read on:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

The Crystal Maze

mhef9k4af6siwspmpnxs.jpg

There's not much to explain really. They're aiming to build a new Crystal Maze in London and a £45 pledge allows you to play your very own game of the Crystal Maze. It's not televised and Richard O;Brien won't be showing you around (although he will be filming an intro video) unfortunately, but I imagine it will be a pretty authentic experience.

To be honest I, like many others I imagine, just want one of the crystals so I may just back it for one of those.