NEurope
Dcubed

Shovel Knight

I'm still not sure if this is a game to my taste. But still want to know if there's a confirmed RRP for Treasure Trove yet? Might be interested to give it a try if the price is good :)

If you liked the 8-bit Mega Man, Zelda II, Duck Tales, Castlevania, Super Mario Bros 3 type games you'll love this. It's easily one of my favourite games of recent years. Top notch gameplay, beautiful visuals, amazing sound, great humour, basically the complete package.

• Like 1

There's an ama going on, though I don't think it contains much new info.

Physical release is something they'll look into after they're done with the next and final campaign.

Switch version is getting updated Amiibo support.

http://yachtclubgames.com/2017/03/meeber/

I'm definitely getting this, but I'm torn between getting it digitally day 1, or wait for news on a physical release.

Finished Specter of Torment, I played it on the tram to and from work, this is the perfect game for travelling!

Still have Shovel Knight and Plague Knight's campaigns to do... but I think I'll make a start on Blaster Master Zero next.

What a great surprise to wake up to. Lovely stuff. These will look great on the shelf alongside Shovel Knight himself.

Here's some details about what they do.

Now not only can Plague Knight, Specter Knight, and King Knight join Shovel Knight’s amiibo party, but these new amiibo also provide new ways to play the game you already love! Let’s break it down:

Exclusive armor set for each character!
Don a more sinister attire with Lich Lord Specter Knight and play in style! These unique armors are cosmetic only so you can mix and match them with your favorite armor effects already found in the game!

New amiibo Challenge Stages!
Take on additional Challenge Stages as your favorite character and put your skills to the test!

Summon amiibo Fairy Companions!
Fairies are in the air! Like the Fairy of Shovelry, these fairies take flight to accompany you on any campaign, all the while bringing a little extra joy to your adventures! Don’t worry though, they won’t get in your way or mess with your gameplay!

These amiibo additions will arrive on Nintendo Switch, 3DS, and Wii U versions of Shovel Knight! We’ll have even more exciting details about all of these features soon as well as release date info! We can’t wait to show everything in action!

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1

The designs look great, the execution however... They seem to have a somewhat plastic toy look, a little cheap looking. Especialy King Knight, the yellow parts would look better if given a gold shine.

Yes the quality not up to Nintendo's standards but I think they look good enough

They look OK... Not as good as Shovel Knight himself though (and King Knight ironically looks kinda cheap... Which is actually pretty funny, so it wraps around and becomes ironically good).

Still want 'em though.

On 15/12/2017 at 7:51 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

That's one nice looking statue.

And one very expensive one too! :o 

What on dirt happened to the Plague Knight, Spectre Knight and King Knight Amiibo anyway? Are they waiting to release them at the same time as King of Cards? (I'm sure that's probably the right answer :heh:)

Edited by Dcubed

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove or Breath of the Wild DLC.. What's the better investment..? Both currently £17.99 :smile:

I'd say Shovel Knight if you haven't played it before. It's totally awesome. Zelda is good too, but the DLC is just more of the same so it depends on your enjoyment of that.

9 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove or Breath of the Wild DLC.. What's the better investment..? Both currently £17.99 :smile:

The correct answer is easily Shovel Knight and that's without me even playing the extra stuff that they added to the base game. The BOTW DLC isn't great and not worth the asking price.

34 minutes ago, nekunando said:

Unquestionably Shovel Knight.  It might just well be the best £17.99 you’ve ever spent! (The base game alone is well worth the asking price, the fact that you get 3 additional spinoff games along with it just makes it a steal!)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, nekunando said:

I was thinking about the same and went for Shovel Knight! BOTW was great but I still have enough to do without the DLC. Plus I'm not really interested in most of the DLC content.

Playing Shovel Knight over the weekend I think I made the right choice. Got myself the Pro Controller for a proper D-pad and am enjoying it a lot! You can really feel the love for NES platformers like Mega Man and Ducktales, but it still feels original enough. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having finished everything in Super Mario Odyssey last week, I've been chipping away at a few games, including Shovel Knight.

NES games and graphics have never particularly appealed (they were just slightly before my introduction to gaming on SNES) so while this game has a decent aesthetic, it doesn't gel with me completely.. and that goes for the game, too :hmm:

I'm still working through it and it is good but I think the overwhelming praise and heightened expectations have gone some way towards making it all a little disappointing. Shovel Knight isn't as amazing or fun as perhaps anticipated but then coming from the perfect and flexible mobility of Mario the stiffness of movement here is exacerbated.

I'll update my thoughts when it's over but this isn't the first time a much-lauded experience hasn't entirely clicked with me. Even Odyssey fell short, in some ways :eek:

• Sad 1

Hmm.. only just discovered that you can destroy checkpoints for gold then soon after discovered that you really do DESTROY the checkpoint. I seem to have done this at a particularly irritating portion of a level and my frustration is building :blank:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, nekunando said:

I beat Shovel Knight less than an hour ago. So underwhelming :hmm:

So surprising to hear you say that. What didn't you like about it?

I guess if you didn't grow up playing the likes of Mega Man, Castlevania, Duck Tales on the NES, the precise action platformer genre might not hit the spot for you.

Personally I thought the visuals were stunning, music even better and the gameplay pretty much perfect for the genre. Great humour, plenty to do in the overworld and lots of varied weapon combos. It's easily in my Top 10 games of all time.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Ronnie said:

So surprising to hear you say that. What didn't you like about it?

I guess if you didn't grow up playing the likes of Mega Man, Castlevania, Duck Tales on the NES, the precise action platformer genre might not hit the spot for you.

Personally I thought the visuals were stunning, music even better and the gameplay pretty much perfect for the genre. Great humour, plenty to do in the overworld and lots of varied weapon combos. It's easily in my Top 10 games of all time.

To be honest, it just wasn't that much fun to play!

I enjoy a good challenge and, as @Hero-of-Time will probably attest, I have more than a soft spot for nostalgia and classic games but Shovel Knight just never quite struck the right note, unfortunately!

I'll reiterate that the game is good but I found it to be irritating at times and nowhere near worthy of the praise that has been heaped upon it since release.

I'm glad everyone else loves it so much but my desire to dig into Plague of Shadows and Spectre of Torment is currently pretty low..