NEurope
Dcubed

Shovel Knight

So... Am I the only one playing this then?

Fine, quick impressions.

- Plague Knight is tough to control, his speed suddenly shifts when he bomb jumps and it takes a lot of practice to get right.

- The sheer amount of customisations he can have for his main weapon is mind boggling! I've only done 3 levels and I already have over 20 ways to customise it! And I'm not even counting sub-weapons, which are different to Shovel Knights.

- Bosses are ridiculously chaotic with Plague Knight, which makes them even better!

- I know this is common knowledge, but the sprite work really is fantastic!

- Music is great too!

Gave it a quick go earlier today. At first I couldn't play it as my save game somehow had disappeared bit then Yacht Club Games are awesome and gave us this:

PlagueKnightUnlock.png

So I completed the first level. I agree with you that he is a bit tougher to control, he is a bit slippery as well. And I died a couple of times because the bombs got me too far. I assume I just have to get used to it, though, it seems rather nice!

So I've put some time into this over the weekend and only need to defeat one more Knight.

I'm enjoying it but some parts are a lot more frustrating sue to Plague Knight's tougher controls. Especially Tinker Knight's castle had me almost quitting the game, I kept dying at irritating places.

Also, the bosses are so much easier with ranged attacks, I don't mins.my health much and just throw bombs everywhere, adding some Arcane powers. This works really well.

Despite of this, though, I'm really enjoying the game. It's totally like playing a new game. (Also due to the fact that I haven't played Shovel Knight since it came out.)

-------

Edit: F#ck, Propeller Knight is broken! That fight was completely unfair and terribly made, it should have been remade completely. But after 20+ tries I finally got him down. That was the last Knight in my way.

Edited by MindFreak
Automerged Doublepost

Also, the bosses are so much easier with ranged attacks, I don't mins.my health much and just throw bombs everywhere, adding some Arcane powers. This works really well.

So while I was reading through your post, I reached this part and instantly thought, "Ah, he hasn't done Propeller Knight yet, that'll be fun to see what he thinks of that."

Edit: F#ck, Propeller Knight is broken! That fight was completely unfair and terribly made, it should have been remade completely. But after 20+ tries I finally got him down. That was the last Knight in my way.

And lo and behold, there it is. Giggled a little.

I totally agree though, Plague Knight just can't handle Propeller Knight well. It is by far, the hardest boss in Plague of Shadows.

I found that Lob casing/Spark Powder/Impact fuse did a lot of damage when he was in the air, and Orbit/Sentry/Normal worked wonders on the ground.

Oh, and Leech Juice, lots and lots of Leech Juice.

Yeah, I did the same combination but after a while I found that regular casing was a better match when he was on the ground.

Half the time I just got knocked down the holes in the stage. That felt completely unfair. Actually, this is what makes the game hard - the knockback feels quite worse than I remember from SK. Is that just me?

Yeah, I did the same combination but after a while I found that regular casing was a better match when he was on the ground.

Half the time I just got knocked down the holes in the stage. That felt completely unfair. Actually, this is what makes the game hard - the knockback feels quite worse than I remember from SK. Is that just me?

No, you're right, the knock back is worse, but to compensate, Plague Knight can save himself with a well timed Burst jump or double jump.

plague_charge_knockback.gif

It was intentional to make Plague Knight more scarier to maneuver and force the player to re-think enemy placements and such. They nailed it in my opinion!

Here's a cool little trick! If you don't use the float Burst jump, you can actually get 2 Burst jumps before hitting the ground!

plague_bomb_secret.gif

And if you're really good, you can even manage three!

plague_bookroom.gif

Combine that with the Vat arcana and who knows how far you could go?

Edited by Glen-i

True but that manoeuvre requires that the pit is a bit deep. Often I don't have time to do anything when knocked back.

True but that manoeuvre requires that the pit is a bit deep. Often I don't have time to do anything when knocked back.

I only found this to be an issue when the platform I'm on is as low as Propeller Knight's platforms.

Any higher and I could get myself out of any pit by using the Vat arcana. I always keep it ready when playing through a level.

If the knockback is truly driving you mad, you could always buy the armour that prevents knockback. There are plenty of ways to circumvent it.

Edited by Glen-i

Nah, it's fine. Tinker Knight's Castle and the fight with Propeller Knight were the only places I really noticed it. I just use the armor that reduces my money losses when dying.

New trailer for the Wii U exclusive Co-op mode/Amiibo functions... (Release date for the Amiibo has also been announced as December 11th in Europe!)

HOLY CRAP!!! YOU CAN CUSTOMISE SHOVEL KNIGHT'S MOVESET!! :o

THE CO-OP/SPEEDRUN POTENTIAL IS INSANE!!! :bouncy:

Edited by Dcubed

It's sad that with all this porting to other platforms, amiibo integration, DLC characters, they most likely haven't even started on a sequel.

It's sad that with all this porting to other platforms, amiibo integration, DLC characters, they most likely haven't even started on a sequel.

I'm pretty sure the last thing Yacht Club wants to do is go back on their stretch goals.

Anyway, the extra content they're providing is amazing.

I think @Dcubed and I will have to stream a co-op play through.

The potential for hilarity will be great!

This game is really good, I love it, but I have to say that It's quite hard. I always die dozen of times before I finish a level (lot of times after I do a good first run but then mistake after mistake happens).

There are only few things that I don't like that much, but all in all it's a great game (I didn't know that it's not a classic 2 platformer).

Specter Knight campaign detailed.

HERE

I should really finish this game. I'll need to restart it as it's been far too long since I actually started the thing. It was probably was around the launch of the game.

It's such a shame they're wasting their time with these pointless add-ons instead of just making a sequel. It's two years since release and all that time could have been put towards making Shovel Knight 2. All because of a few Kickstarter stretch goals they threw in at the last minute.

The add on content pretty much is a Shovel knight 2, 3 and 4.

I'm still having fun with this game and can't wait for the Specter content.

But aren't the levels more or less identical? I'm talking about a proper sequel, not just a character swap. By the time all their updates will have come out it would have been three years, surely enough time for a brand new Shovel Knight 2 to be made, which I suspect would have gone down a lot better.

But aren't the levels more or less identical? I'm talking about a proper sequel, not just a character swap. By the time all their updates will have come out it would have been three years, surely enough time for a brand new Shovel Knight 2 to be made, which I suspect would have gone down a lot better.

The main levels are tweaked with new areas.

The side levels in Plague Knights campaign were completely new.

It also had some new bosses.

And Plague Knight is so different to play as, it feels like a new game.

I'm afraid you might be in the minority here. After the utter shambles of Mighty No. 9, I think we need someone keeping to their Kickstarter promises.

I don't think going on to a new game would go down well at all. Not one bit. Especially not on the internet.

Edited by Glen-i

I think you might be in the minority here. After the utter shambles of Mighty No. 9, I think we need someone keeping to their Kickstarter promises.

I don't think going on to a new game would go down well at all. Not one bit. Especially not on the internet.

I realise they can't go straight onto another game, and have to finish the promised content first. I just wish they hadn't had any of these stretch goals to begin with. We'd have a brand new sequel from them by now, which surely would have been better? Instead it'll be what, another 3 years or so until Shovel Knight 2?

Maybe they've only assigned a few team members to the DLC and the bulk of their team is already at work on a sequel. I hope so anyway.

Here's an update the Specter Knight expansion that is on the way.

large.jpg

While there's still not much footage of the upcoming expansion starring Specter Knight, Yacht Club did go ahead and reveal the name and release window of the expansion. Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment is due to arrive in spring 2017 to all versions of the game. Also, the game will be coming out with either Body Swap or Battle Mode. Whichever mode doesn't launch with Specter of Torment will come out with King Knight's campaign, whenever that happens.