NEurope
Serebii

Gotham

On the same night Marvel launched Agents of SHIELD, it's been revealed that DC is making another big step in TV, with Commissioner Gordon getting his own live-action series, reveals Deadline. Following a bidding war between the networks, the Warner Bros. TV-produced series, called Gotham, has ended up at FOX. Showing what a big deal Gotham is, it's been given a straight-to-series order, bypassing the pilot stage.

The series will focus on a young Detective James Gordon and "the villains that made Gotham famous." Bruno Heller (Rome, The Mentalist) is writing the Commissioner Gordon, which will presumably launch during the 2014-2015 TV season. Gotham will take place before Gordon meets Batman, who will not be a part of the series.

More @ http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/09/25/gotham-batmans-commissioner-gordon-getting-fox-tv-series

Interesting premise. Although a superhero universe without a superhero may be somewhat lacking. I can imagine yet another generic, "gritty" crime drama with an out-of-the-box thinking, gruff, maverick-esque cop. His methods may not be orthodox, but he damn sure gets the job done.

Edited by MoogleViper

not sure how to feel about this....its before batman or not featuring him and based about a gruff cop as said. so really its only ever going to feature non superpowered villains, small time crooks created for the show and generally just seem like a sci-fi/fantasy cop show.....

I think i might stick with continuum for that, because even though this could be good but would annoy me knowing about the elephant in the room (where is batman/joker/mr freeze/pison ivy etc etc)

i suppose time will tell really, i'd have loved a pilot though

Well Luther's not exactly original, but yeah that format.

Well yeah, obviously, but Luther's done it well recently, with a specific focus on psycho serial killers, and grabbed attention overseas. I can't imagine that if they're going to make it dark/serious in tone, they're not looking at Luther. In the BBC series they're the "Serious Crimes Unit", in the Dark Knight movies it was the "Major Crimes Unit".

Well yeah, obviously, but Luther's done it well recently, with a specific focus on psycho serial killers, and grabbed attention overseas. I can't imagine that if they're going to make it dark/serious in tone, they're not looking at Luther. In the BBC series they're the "Serious Crimes Unit", in the Dark Knight movies it was the "Major Crimes Unit".

Certainly. I just wanted to emphasize that they're not just looking at one show, but a few decades worth of cliches and tired formulas.

Just my opinion, but I'd rather see them try something new, than doing what everyone else has already done, but doing it slightly better.

Agreed, but these days you pretty much have to decide between "tries something new" and "has a good chance of a second season" :/

Even if it's pre-Batman, I wonder which other names will show up. Bruce Wayne, Alfred, Selina Kyle, Harvey Dent. Harleen Quinzel could be working at the Asylum.

Out of interest, how much older is he compared to Batman? Could we potentially get an episode with the murder of Bruce's parents?

if they can have Gary Oldman as the lead however it could be the greatest Tv show in the history of man kind

This just makes me angry this isn't a noir thriller series starring Batgirl Barbara Gordon.

An American Luther, then.

With villans with super powers.

I'm surprised this clone wasn't announced the moment Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was.

You think there'll be a lot of Super powered villains? I mean the Dark Knight Trilogy had a total of zero of those. And how many of the Batman rogue gallery can you really bring in before Batman?

I think it looks good in general. Really hope it shows Gotham's descent into the terrible city we know.

Ryan looks awesome in this!

Bad guys on the run,

But Batman's only young,

So Gordon's the lead in this one...

Gotham City here we come,

Right back where we started from,

Goooothaaaam Ciiiityyyyyyyyy

It looks ok, but first impression is that it should've found its own strengths instead of going straight to Bruce Wayne and future supervillains. They should have treated like any great detective show, taken their cues from the recent big crime dramas (The Wire, True Detective etc) but gone bigger and darker, maybe a Boardwalk Empire kind of tone with the mafia etc. First and foremost it needed great writing, great directing, the namedropping could come much later.

However, it could still be great, and if they do it right it's definitely my kind of thing. Looking forward to it.

Got to remember this is a promo so it was inevitable they would name drop. I assume that the more adult villains will simmer in the background, rather than it being about them (if that makes sense?)

They seem to be going at it as a show about the city and its population, rather than a show about the famous Batman villains. To me...maybe. I'm tired.

Yeah, if anything the name-dropping should come now to pique people's interest. Batman is a massive book for this show. I'd be surprised if Bruce really plays a pivotal part after the pilot. The death of the Wayne's is meant to be the start of Gotham's demise, after all.

It looks ok, but first impression is that it should've found its own strengths instead of going straight to Bruce Wayne and future supervillains. They should have treated like any great detective show, taken their cues from the recent big crime dramas (The Wire, True Detective etc) but gone bigger and darker, maybe a Boardwalk Empire kind of tone with the mafia etc. First and foremost it needed great writing, great directing, the namedropping could come much later.

However, it could still be great, and if they do it right it's definitely my kind of thing. Looking forward to it.

I like the sound of what you're saying but I guess they feel they have to use the draw of the big name characters to get people watching in the first place, kind of like Nick Fury's early cameo in Agents of Sheild.

Sure, I know why they did it.

I just think it would've been cool if you could've shown this to someone who didn't even click that it was related to Batman, and they could've been hooked on the premise without using the words "Bruce Wayne", "Penguin" etc..

If you take those out, does the trailer stand up on its own?