NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
What brings your life meaning?

Yes, we're all going to die. We can't escape that, no matter how much or how little we want to. You may or may not believe in an afterlife or reincarnation or that there is something else that happens once you go.

But, there are many forms of immortality. Once you do go, people will be affected, in some way. Not everyone, but some will. If you're doing it right, you'll leave something behind. Maybe it'll be the memory for a loved one. Maybe you'll have accomplished wonders. Maybe you will just be remembered as being a good person who was kind to others.

It's not the same as having all aspects of your existence erased. This doesn't happen. When you have gone, there will be some mark that you were here. This forum is a start. You were here and you had thoughts and feelings. You were a person, somebody who did most of the things that regular people do; go to school, work, take care of others, but nobody will have led the same life as you.

What gives my life meaning? I don't honestly know, but I'm not sure I need it. You just need to feel it from within, feel that you are doing things right and making the most of it. I can't stand being miserable any more and so I won't be. I never think of it like I'm not going to be here in 80 years time, it's not the right way of thinking. What you should be thinking is that you are here now and you must and should do what you think is right.

That's very interesting; to me, what you're describing there is actually incredibly liberating. It allows me to fill my life with what I want to, to give meaning to my own existence. There is no purpose except what we choose for ourselves. Our lives are a random blip in the vast sea of reality, but we only know so because we're here to realise it; if we weren't, we'd never know what we'd be missing. So I cannot help but be thrilled at the fact that I'm here, that I exist; that I get to experience the wonder of existence, if only an infinitely small bit for an infinitely short while.

Oh, and if it helps, you most certainly helped me discover my own self-worth. :)

Sex, good friends and Sheffield United

Thats what gives my life meaning.

There is no "meaning" to life unless you decide to give it one. Why this depresses some people I don't know, I'm ok with being a speck of nothingness in the universe. I'm enjoying life so why should I care? When I'm dead I'm dead, if there's nothing after, no worries, I can handle that it doesn't bother me.

Why let it bother you?

Games...

:blank:

*goes back to playing on 3DS*

Hmm. I guess one way to sum it up might be to say:

The journey is worth it for it's own sake. We're all going to end up at the same destination so it's only how you choose to travel there that is important.

Hope that didn't sound too cheesy or anything...

My Iron Man action figure collection, estimated to be the largest mint-in-package Iron Man-exclusive collection in the world. Check out my Instagram feed "narsfweasels" to see them.

Video games as well. Particularly the Elder Scrolls and Fallout New Vegas. Morrowind to this day is my favourite game of all-time, ten years after its release.

I don't think my life has any meaning per say.

But that doesn't mean I'm not going to enjoy the fuck out of my life for however long that is! I used to be in a pretty bad place and wondered why we even bothered, why we had families, why we frankly even got out of bed in the morning.

But whats the point of being alive and not actually doing something! Sure you're going to die, we'll all die, but if I can go out going 'that was awesome', then great.

In that case, travelling makes me happy, seeing the world, seeing new people, eating new foods. There's nothing that makes me happier (perhaps more so than even seeing my family) that visiting a new place. Its the best feeling.

That of course and the following:

- food

- sex

- YouTube (sorry!)

- games

Ahhh <3

I'm ok with being a speck of nothingness in the universe.

You are something to me haha!:kiss:

I agree with much of your post @Ville, but I find myself increasingly wonder why does it matter? Why do we feel it has to have some sort of special meaning? As you and many have said, we're all going to die one way or another. Isn't the what should give it meaning? The sole inevitability of death defines life itself. I think we as individuals have to give our own life meaning, by living it whichever way we choose.

For me personally though? I'm not too sure of specific things. Just keep on going really, take each day as it is, have good friends, try to be happy blah blah blah. I think there's a blur between meaning to life and happiness and I find it difficult to properly articulate it, I guess.

I guess I'd ask - so what? Why does it matter? Realising all of that? What does it change? Does it really change anything at all?

Nothing matters, but then nothing needs to matter.

The only thing I care about is making today a better day than yesterday.

Outside of your own existence, there's no real meaning to life... just do whatever makes you happy. If it makes you happy to also make those around you happy, then great do that. If it makes you happy to try and make the world a better place for future generations, even better.

Personally, I don't tend to think about a meaning to life. All my decisions are based around how things will affect me and those around me.

The fact that an infinitely tiny number of things could have happened to prevent me existing, yet here I am.

Here we all are.

Thinking about what I will leave behind, who for, why, and how I'm going to achieve it. I see it as a task of a lifetime.

i've felt this way for a while now and it's been really upsetting me. i've been dealing with depression (ie. been medicated for-) for just over a year now and this is probably one of the main issues i struggle with. it all boils down to it, doesnt it? what's the fucking point? the thing that scares me the most is when it pops into my brain and i get to thinking "why bother going on? why not just grab the pills and get it over with?" is that i can't think of a decent answer... all i can do is hope that one day i'll find something that really gives me a purpose.

tl;dr = *shrug*

The fact that an infinitely tiny number of things could have happened to prevent me existing, yet here I am.

Here we all are.

Also known as "Six million sperm and YOU were the fastest? Oh, dear..."

Maybe it's knowing I'm going to die, that makes me want to try, to just enjoy my life, I'm lucky to be alive.

That line pretty much sums up my feelings.

Yeah we all end up conking it at some point, but if you fret too much about that you end up missing what I feel that life is about - living. To paraphrase a line from Nip/Tuck (the source of all wisdom): "growing old is a curse so few are afflicted with".

Whether you find enjoyment in having a family, travelling the world, having a great job, eating oreos or whatever. There's a lot of shit out there, but going through life you will witness the best of human kindness, the beauty of nature and moments of sheer joy. Yeah there is the flipside of all those things but fretting about it too much isn't going to bring any meaning to your life IMO. As Iun kind of said - you beat the odds to get here. Enjoy it!

I don't think that there is a meaning to life that you have to go out and try and find. I feel that its more a realisation at the end of all it.

All I can say is that I think people pass on kindness and how to love each other. If I hadn't been treated so well by my family - kindness, generosity, etc - I wouldn't really understand the concepts as strongly.

While there's youth in my body, I just want to use it and enjoy myself in the company of people I love it.

I have no problem accepting that chaos is the only real driving force in the universe, I do not seek meaning, I just do what I feel like. Carpe Diem all the way.

The whole family/career thing is cultural, it's only real if you believe in it. My drive is simply living a life worth living. I travel alot (and I really travel, I'm not a bus tour and hotel kind of tourist, I like to get to know the actual people and their lives, cultural idenity is fascinating to me), I'll try everything once and I try to make my loved ones' lives happier and fuller. That's the secret, imo... hanging out on the beach at night drinking some beers and gazing at the stars with friends, and just not worrying about what others expect you to do and instead focus on a lifestyle that makes you happy.

I feel I have a greater purpose. I want to help people.

*becomes a superhero*

No but seriously. Being gay and feeling how I feel about it..I want to be part of the fight for change. I'm going to my masters in art therapy, which is a profession that is about helping people (help themselves?). I want to change things.

That's it now. It felt VERY odd this summer having finished uni and facing the big bad world. AH

It felt VERY odd this summer having finished uni and facing the big bad world. AH

Amen. Finally concluded my studies only to find out I could care less about a career and just want an American Beauty type existence or a life devoted to changing the world. My folks are obviously loving it... lol. Never been happier, though. The world is huge, varied and plentiful. I'm young and foolish. Couldn't ask for a more perfect combination, to be honest. Feels good to be alive, man.

Sign in to follow this