NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Games You Tried To Like But Didn't

How could I forget about Epic Mickey?! I pretty much agree with everything you said and this should have been the first thing I posted in the thread! I was so hyped for this game but the more I played it, the more disappointed I was.

Not to mention the art style... I loved the cut-scene at the beginning and the concept art but the in-game graphics themselves were so dull and lifeless it actually felt like an N64 game.

From the clunky controls to the god awful textures and the huge levels, this was just one mistake after another. It also reminded me why I'm actually now a fan of the linear levels in Galaxy.

I bought my girlfriend Epic Mickey for Christmas whenever it came out, and we watched the beginning scenes on my Wii. The plot is fucking stupid. You have to go through all that not because some tyrant has had a master plan for years, but because Mickey Mouse was a disobedient little shit.

Batman Arkham Asylum + City

Just reading through Flinky's posts in the Batman AC topic made me remember that I needed to put both Batman games in this list.

I played through both of them and to this day still fail to see what made them so special. I found them very boring and quite repetitive. To be fair i've never been a big DC super hero fan ( Marvel FTW! ) so maybe that helped sour the experience. Not bad games by any means but I don't think they deserved all the praise they received.

84889709_disapoint_gif.gif

You're making me mad, brah.

Time to piss people off. What's one title I've never got to grips with...

Super Mario 64

Come at me!

I've never been a huge fan of it. It was good but it didn't change my world. I was a much bigger fan of the settings in Sunshine and Galaxy and actually preferred them from a gameplay point of view. I remember spending hours on 64 trying to enjoy it, but it didn't click with me.

Super Mario 64

Come at me!

I've never been a huge fan of it. It was good but it didn't change my world. I was a much bigger fan of the settings in Sunshine and Galaxy and actually preferred them from a gameplay point of view. I remember spending hours on 64 trying to enjoy it, but it didn't click with me.

84889709_disapoint_gif.gif

Besides, I had already played the best Batman game when I was a kid. :D

DAT MUSIC!

Wrong...wrong...WRONG!! :p

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus HD remakes. I tried so hard to love them but the dire controls and oppressive nature of both games just didn't click with me. I think my own hype (through press and gamer reviews) killed it for me.

Oh and...Okami on Wii. Played about 5/6hrs and just wasn't bothered about it at all. Seemed laborious and again, didn't click. Beautiful style though.

Don't hate me but I really didn't like Dragon Age and I have no patience for Metal Gear Solid 4

With Dragon Age, I completed the very last level on the hardest mode for my cousin when him and pretty much all of the family couldn't kill the dragon and the enemies. I still remember my cousin's and my other cousin's boyfriend's face when they saw me beat the level. The best part of it all was that I didn't exactly have a clue on the controls so much so I kept on asking my cousin "How do I get this on?", "How do I equip this?" and "How do I batter him?" and "Can I make them attack those midget things?". I enjoyed playing the level so I thought I'd buy it myself and have a go of it. I played it for all but five minutes and I seriously couldn't get into it. I tried a couple of more times after that but I didn't like it at all, which is weird. I think the last level spoiled it but I was more infuriated with the gameplay and the controls.

Now with Metal Gear Solid 4, the graphics are awesome and the controls are pretty good but the thing that pisses me off so much is that you can't take a couple of steps without there being a cutscene...quite literally! I sneak behind a wall, cutscene, I crawl on the floor, cutscene, I change a weapon, cutscene...I'm not one to moan about the story or anything but the cutscenes are extremely long. I wished I didn't buy the game and just watched all of it on YouTube! I have fantastic patience but I can only play that game every now and again because my patience wears thin, lmao.

Any Rare game. Played all the good ones, disliked every single one of them except Conker (which was an average game like the others, but the humor saved it). I don't respect Rare at all.

Final Fantasy VII. Worst FF I've ever played. Don't respect the game at all.

Mario RPGs. Be it Paper Mario, Legend Of The Seven Stars or Mario & Luigi. I understand why they're great and they have my respect, but I don't like them.

I agree with Flinky on Sunshine being better than 64. But I think they're both awesome.

Jak and Daxter: the Precursor Legacy.

Whenever I hear about it, it's always something good. I don't even dislike platformers, this one just isn't my taste.

Any Rare game. Played all the good ones, disliked every single one of them except Conker (which was an average game like the others, but the humor saved it). I don't respect Rare at all.

I agree with Flinky on Sunshine being better than 64. But I think they're both awesome.

Hurray!

Although, ANY Rare game? Really? What about Killer Instinct? Or Goldeneye? Perfect Dark? The DKC games?

Hurray!

Although, ANY Rare game? Really? What about Killer Instinct? Or Goldeneye? Perfect Dark? The DKC games?

All of them. DKC I quite honestly hate. As for the N64 games, it's not that they're bad, far from it, but it feels to me their reputation is only there because the N64 was such a lacking console... much like Uncharted 1 on the PS3, a decent game that got a ridiculous amount of acclaim because it was one of the few titles the console's user base could brag about, I feel like Rare's games got retardedly high praise for games which are, in my opinion, perfectly average. GoldenEye is the best one, and I guess Banjo is quite alright if you like platforming games (for some reason I hate most 3D platformers with a passion), but Perfect Dark just felt completely generic in it's scope, to me... especially considering it came out after Half Life and System Shock 2 had rocked the gaming world, it was a sore disappointment. Remember the tepid reception Starfox Adventures got? That's my reaction to every Rare game I've ever played. They're ok, I guess.

Never did try Killer Instinct, though.

Funny thing, I never realized they were all Rare games until a few months ago. I played Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Starfox Adventures, Conker, and parts of DKC1/2 as well as about 30% of Banjo while being completely ignorant they were all Rare games. So I was pretty ignorant of my own dislike of Rare, lol, but it seems pretty universal since none of them clicked with me.

The ICO and Shadow of the Colossus HD remakes. I tried so hard to love them but the dire controls and oppressive nature of both games just didn't click with me. I think my own hype (through press and gamer reviews) killed it for me.

Oh and...Okami on Wii. Played about 5/6hrs and just wasn't bothered about it at all. Seemed laborious and again, didn't click. Beautiful style though.

I agree with ICO and Okami. I've tried Okami twice, too. Shadow of the Colossus was great, though.

What about Killer Instinct?

Killer Instinct does not deserve to be mentioned next to those other great games.

Oh, and another one: Half Life. I loved Half Life 2, but I've found it difficult to get into the first one.

All of them. DKC I quite honestly hate. As for the N64 games, it's not that they're bad, far from it, but it feels to me their reputation is only there because the N64 was such a lacking console... much like Uncharted 1 on the PS3, a decent game that got a ridiculous amount of acclaim because it was one of the few titles the console's user base could brag about, I feel like Rare's games got retardedly high praise for games which are, in my opinion, perfectly average. GoldenEye is the best one, and I guess Banjo is quite alright if you like platforming games (for some reason I hate most 3D platformers with a passion), but Perfect Dark just felt completely generic in it's scope, to me... especially considering it came out after Half Life and System Shock 2 had rocked the gaming world, it was a sore disappointment. Remember the tepid reception Starfox Adventures got? That's my reaction to every Rare game I've ever played. They're ok, I guess.

Never did try Killer Instinct, though.

Funny thing, I never realized they were all Rare games until a few months ago. I played Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Starfox Adventures, Conker, and parts of DKC1/2 as well as about 30% of Banjo while being completely ignorant they were all Rare games. So I was pretty ignorant of my own dislike of Rare, lol, but it seems pretty universal since none of them clicked with me.

When did you play them for the first time?

While I love most of Rare's games, I do believe that the game industry has moved on and a lot of things in them are dated.

I must however admit that I on the other hand never got in to Half-Life, and thus think that Perfect Dark is the supperior of the two. There was nothing to do and the level-design was super-linear, while Perfect Dark had open level-design.

You're the worst person in the world.

I tried starting Okami Wii too, but I just couldn't get past the art style. Yes, it's different and I can appreciate that, but to me it just looks messy / ugly.

The HD version seems to look a lot better, but I have no PS3...

Okami is awful on the Wii, much better with regular controls.

I really wish I could enjoy playing the Zone of the Enders games. On first glance they seem right up my street, but the controls are crazy annoying.

For someone who hates games with bad controls, I love Shadow of the Colossus. The scope and presentation iron out all the control quirks.

Ocarina of Time 3DS: I just don't have the patience to walk around everywhere trying to solve all the puzzles and I don't want to keep looking at guides. I've loved every Zelda since Ocarina but I thought the puzzles in this weren't intuitive enough. Maybe I'm just stupid but it is too hard. I probably could figure it out if I spent a long time looking for solutions and trying different things but that's not enjoyable at all.

Ocarina of Time 3DS: I just don't have the patience to walk around everywhere trying to solve all the puzzles and I don't want to keep looking at guides. I've loved every Zelda since Ocarina but I thought the puzzles in this weren't intuitive enough. Maybe I'm just stupid but it is too hard. I probably could figure it out if I spent a long time looking for solutions and trying different things but that's not enjoyable at all.

This is interesting. More out of genuine curiosity, what sort of parts were you stuck in? I can only recall a couple of instances where the solution isn't obvious.

The location of Din's Fire and the Fire Arrows, both needed to progress, but are not found easily.

Also, Dampé's grave. That one definitely needs good memory to find.

Like I said, I'm curious about someone who played it recently, instead of when it originally came out.

I'm a little surprised to read all the dislike for Okami in here, though I can completely understand those feelings as I have been struggling for a few years now to find the motivation to return to it :hmm: It never seems to hold onto me and I haven't found the combat to be particularly enjoyable, especially when there are times when brush strokes aren't recognised and you have to keep repeating the action until it finally happens..

As for something like Shadow of the Colossus, I played through it on PS2 last year, or the year before, and whilst I enjoyed many aspects of it, it didn't turn out to be anywhere near as amazing as I had been led to believe. The controls were awful at times. I own ICO too but haven't got around to playing it yet.

I suppose that while I'm making a point about games on the PS2, I could perhaps add another game to the list..

God of War In a similar way to Okami, any time I fire this game up in always fails to capture me..

Would have to be Metal Gear Solid for me, never clicked even though everyone raved about it!

This is interesting. More out of genuine curiosity, what sort of parts were you stuck in? I can only recall a couple of instances where the solution isn't obvious.

The location of Din's Fire and the Fire Arrows, both needed to progress, but are not found easily.

Also, Dampé's grave. That one definitely needs good memory to find.

Like I said, I'm curious about someone who played it recently, instead of when it originally came out.

I've no idea what that stuff is as I haven't played it in a while. But the last place I got stuck was the fire temple, just didn't know where to go in general. Also took a while to get through the temple before that, think it was forest.

Wouldn't matter anyway, since I can't find it anymore.