N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

One of the few times I visited NeoGAF and I happened to find my way into this thread:

Next-gen consoles screenshots Thread (PS4/Xbone/WiiU)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=716795

A lot of impressive stuff in there. Nice to see the likes of Pikmin 3 & WW being appreciated.

Wow, that thread is hilarious with people complaining that Wii U shouldn't be listed

Wow, that thread is hilarious with people complaining that Wii U shouldn't be listed

I'm not sure if we're reading the same thread. There's an awful lot of posts from Wii U owners showing some beautiful WW, Pikmin and W101 pics with plenty of people calling WW the best looking game out on any system at the moment.

There's one dickhead and he got banned for his anti-Wii U posts. Pretty good thread if you ask me :)

I'm not sure if we're reading the same thread. There's an awful lot of posts from Wii U owners showing some beautiful WW, Pikmin and W101 pics with plenty of people calling WW the best looking game out on any system at the moment.

There's one dickhead and he got banned for his anti-Wii U posts. Pretty good thread if you ask me :)

Yeah, it's a good thread and after the people got banned, it turned into a great one.

---

It seems GAME's deal of £220 for the NSMBU/NSLU bundle of the Wii U comes with download codes for the full pass for Wii Sports Bowling & Wii Sports Tennis.

Now that's a good bundle. Nintendo should make it a standard

Perhaps it is more that other consoles seem to have more titles that are based within reality - or draw heavily from it. Gritty is indeed a good choice of word. I'm more concerned we have more and more generations of gamers getting into more realistic games, games that are focused on shooting shit tons of random soldiers or killing anything that moves. The line between seeing a dead body in a videogame as opposed to real life will blur the further we take the industry into such a direction.

Nintendo do well to stay away from all of this in my opinion.

In that GAF thread, the contrast Nintendo have is apparent. A cartoon boy in a colourful world, sailing on a talking boat. Then there's Pikmin which is based within 'reality' but is as surreal as it gets.

For now, the vibrant, surreal artistic endeavours available on Wii U are a fine alternative when put next to the PS4/XBone launch games.

That Nintendo difference...lots of apathy from long-time gamers, but there is still imagination and variety in spades.

... but these 'generic' games are the third party games the Wii U isn't getting, very little more.

It's not the fault of PS4 and Xbox One fans that they can post pretty pictures of Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Need For Speed Rivals etc...

I'm sure if Wii U owners were getting these games they'd be posting pics of them too.

Perhaps it is more that other consoles seem to have more titles that are based within reality - or draw heavily from it. Gritty is indeed a good choice of word. I'm more concerned we have more and more generations of gamers getting into more realistic games, games that are focused on shooting shit tons of random soldiers or killing anything that moves. The line between seeing a dead body in a videogame as opposed to real life will blur the further we take the industry into such a direction.

Nintendo do well to stay away from all of this in my opinion.

In that GAF thread, the contrast Nintendo have is apparent. A cartoon boy in a colourful world, sailing on a talking boat. Then there's Pikmin which is based within 'reality' but is as surreal as it gets.

For now, the vibrant, surreal artistic endeavours available on Wii U are a fine alternative when put next to the PS4/XBone launch games.

That Nintendo difference...lots of apathy from long-time gamers, but there is still imagination and variety in spades.

I think the problem is that Nintendo fans see a high number of 'reality' setting games on other consoles and some use this to argue that Nintendo consoles have more games that demonstrate 'imagination' (which I think is largely untrue). I would argue that Nintendo often display very little imagination in terms of rehashing their franchises (particularly in terms on New Super Mario Bros/Zelda). I think you can only argue Nintendo have variety when they have a variety of games we haven't all seen before.

The truth is, consoles like the PS3 get some truly imaginative titles like Journey, but also get a lot of games that have more down to Earth settings. Nintendo often don't get much of the latter type since reality based games benefit more from stronger system specs to enhance the feeling that it's actually reality. If any console is guilty of not having enough of a certain type of game, it'd be one of Nintendo's.

ONM #102 review scores – Super Mario 3D World and more

Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag – 91%

Batman: Arkham Origins – 78%

Batman: Arkham Origins – Blackgate – 77%

Deus Ex: Human Revolution – Director’s Cut – 90%

Disney Infinity (Toy Story) – 63%

Final Fight – 55%

Final Fight 2 – 52%

Final Fight 3 – 40%

Hakuoki: Memories of the Shinsengumi – 68%

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes – 91%

Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games – 49%

Moshi Monsters: Katsuma Unleashed – 25%

Super Mario 3D World – 93%

The Legend of Zelda: A Link between Worlds – 94%

Wii Sports Club – 68%

In ONM’s review of Super Mario 3D World, the magazine said, “Super Mario 3D World makes everyone else look like they had HD all wrong.” ONM also made note of the game’s high level of polish in each level. And for those concerned about post-game content, Super Mario 3D World apparently has quite a bit of it – as has been previously hinted.

http://nintendoeverything.com/onm-102-review-scores-super-mario-3d-world-and-more/

Some really good reviews and some stinkers. It's pretty obvious, I don't need to point out which is which. Surprised Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games scored so bad.

I would argue that Nintendo often display very little imagination in terms of rehashing their franchises (particularly in terms on New Super Mario Bros/Zelda). I think you can only argue Nintendo have variety when they have a variety of games we haven't all seen before.

But to focus on the franchise is to skip the notion that much of these franchises have been constantly reinvigorated by imaginative, new mechanics. I guess we were focusing in on graphics yet Nintendo's games tend to offer puzzles, mechanics 'and' the settings that differ from much of what is on offer on any other platform.

I've been playing Oceanhorn on iOS this week - a game hyped as 'Zelda' for iOS. Not to take away from the game but it is paint by numbers not offering the imagination in an important area: the puzzles in dungeons. Moving blocks is OK sure, but there is no 'painting' mechanic, no 'ocarina', no 'minish cap', no 'season/weather’ changes.

Many gamers call these gimmicks, I would call these imaginative gameplay mechanics that allow Nintendo games to feel different - even if we are using the same character. Perhaps Nintendo use the same characters as when games tend to introduce new characters they can struggle. Okami is a great example of this. If Okami had been a 3D Zelda involving a paintbrush it would have sold far better. However, there is merit in both arguments. I'd prefer more variety/characters/settings in this industry too.

So yeah, I think imagination and creativity isn't just about using the same characters and settings but encompasses far more. Interesting debate though.

Also: Wii U, 1year old...but feels like it's just getting started!

But to focus on the franchise is to skip the notion that much of these franchises have been constantly reinvigorated by imaginative, new mechanics. I guess we were focusing in on graphics yet Nintendo's games tend to offer puzzles, mechanics 'and' the settings that differ from much of what is on offer on any other platform.

I've been playing Oceanhorn on iOS this week - a game hyped as 'Zelda' for iOS. Not to take away from the game but it is paint by numbers not offering the imagination in an important area: the puzzles in dungeons. Moving blocks is OK sure, but there is no 'painting' mechanic, no 'ocarina', no 'minish cap', no 'season/weather’ changes.

Many gamers call these gimmicks, I would call these imaginative gameplay mechanics that allow Nintendo games to feel different - even if we are using the same character. Perhaps Nintendo use the same characters as when games tend to introduce new characters they can struggle. Okami is a great example of this. If Okami had been a 3D Zelda involving a paintbrush it would have sold far better. However, there is merit in both arguments. I'd prefer more variety/characters/settings in this industry too.

So yeah, I think imagination and creativity isn't just about using the same characters and settings but encompasses far more. Interesting debate though.

Also: Wii U, 1year old...but feels like it's just getting started!

You have painted the issue with perception of Nintendo games quite well.

When they introduce new features or modes, they typically get dismissed as gimmicks, despite them being imaginative.

http://nintendoeverything.com/onm-102-review-scores-super-mario-3d-world-and-more/

Some really good reviews and some stinkers. It's pretty obvious, I don't need to point out which is which. Surprised Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games scored so bad.

Yeah, I thought they would have shown their usual bias. It's not a bad game though, it's just the same as always but looks prettier. :D

When they introduce new features or modes, they typically get dismissed as gimmicks, despite them being imaginative.

Many games that don't add new elements die quick deaths. I think human nature dictates that we want more and new things. That's why the Mario power up and Zelda items work so well. You can have the same 'template' but it is completely altered by the power-ups/items that augment the mechanics.

I guess this ethos runs through the core of every company. Nintendo go so far as to include new 'innovations' in their systems yet just like Zelda/Mario, the innovations aren't going to hit a home run everytime.

SONY and Microsoft tend to follow a different route for their systems and, for the most part, their games. They are completely different approaches to the industry but the more approaches the better for the industry and consumers.

Edited by tapedeck

You have painted the issue with perception of Nintendo games quite well.

That's probably because they're features nobody asked for.

And they miss out tons of features people actually want.

Chin up. Mario soon. :hug:

I can't even get excited for that, knowing that it's probably gonna be the last ever Mario game for a console (Nintendo still stand a chance in the handheld realm at least I guess).

I'd be surprised if they even announce anything new for the Wii U next year outside of Zelda Wii U...

I suppose that if the console did end up dying next year though, it would at least have ammassed a great library, even in that small timeframe. I already own more retail games for my Wii U than I bought for the 360 and PS3 combined throughout their entire lifespans. By the end of next year (assuming that SSB4 hits in 2014, Zelda Wii U is the last game that Nintendo makes for the console, but is pushed back to 2015 and they don't end up announcing any new games for the console outside of Zelda U and Steel Diver 2), I will have ended up buying 26 retail games (17 currently owned retail games plus all 9 of the upcoming 1st party titles that we already know about). That's not bad really, I guess :) (and that's not counting the eShop exclusive game either - when the Wii U actually has quite a bit of indie support at least! It may still be possible for me to make a top 50 Wii U games list when it dies still! :D)

Edited by Dcubed