Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

Is Pikmin 3 really that good!?

Let me put it this way.

I enjoyed it.

Doesn't sound that positive, but what you don't know is that I didn't enjoy the first two Pikmin games that much. I thought 1 was eh and 2 was frustrating.

What about Tropical Freeze?

Is Pikmin 3 really that good!? W101 does look interesting, but not enough to sell me the system.

I've already got NSMBU, Rayman, SM3DW and a slew of VC/eShop platformers. I could not even bring myself to buy another, no matter how good it is, I'm just burnt out on platformers at the mo.

Hence why I've zero interest in Yoshi and Kirby.

Pikmin 3 was alright but I still prefer the first one.

MK8 is my favourite WiiU game and the only one I really go back to. Not bothered about voice chat as I only play it local multiplayer, or go online with someone else in the room as a pair.

Pikmin 3 delivered my best gaming experience on the WiiU, though it didn't seem as jammed packed as Pikmin 2 with all those caves. Flying Pikmin portions were also a little too short given their greatness.

Though its been said many times, the lack of online is still unforgivable - if it was, I would definitely be playing it to this day.

Nintendo Dives Into the Red Ocean - Game Scoop! 336(IGN)

Great episode discussing amongst other things, mobile, DeNA, Nintendo abandoning hardware, Mario Party 10 review, a bit about Sonic, game character eyes quiz and the last question, no amount of money would be enough. Funny I was watching Bear Grylls: Mission Survive and it needs to be cooked to singe the hairs as they're poisonous and will cause your airwave to swell and you'll most likely suffocate.

Can we create a Nintendo rant thread? The moaners/defenders can stay out and the world will be fine. I defend and love Nintendo but I will and do speak out when I see them going down the tube. People clearly didn't read the TIME articles I published here, if you had you'd have noticed something in the first article straight away. Perhaps the author was purposely making a point starting off that way. I'll delve further today and it encapsulates so much of what is wrong with Nintendo. Iwata or/and his practises have to stop. I'm in a bad mood as some may have gathered. F all releases and what has been are $h1t€. If Iwata doesn't change he has to go, otherwise he'll bring down Nintendo or change the face of the company as we know it and it's not just him. I'll post the quote so and I'll leave it at that for now but it speaks volumes about the company at present.

Give me a minute or 2.

"In late 2013, Satoru Iwata sat alone on a bullet train headed toward Tokyo. As the carriage sped silently down the track,
Iwata
, the puckish
CEO of Nintendo, began sketching out a new idea
: a line of physical toys with built-in chips that connected wirelessly to the company’s varied game systems. The toys would let Nintendo trade on its universe of characters like Mario and Donkey Kong while generating new sales.

Iwata
, a 55-year-old who dresses in three-piece suits and speaks in measured phrases, often pausing to chuckle,
says he got more and more excited as he mulled the concept. He dashed off a four-page pitch to his engineers. “It was something I believed would be completely new for us,” he recalls.
The result was an array of figurines dubbed Amiibo (Japanese wordplay meant to evoke friends playing together), which launched worldwide a little less than a year later and turned out to be a hit. Nintendo says it sold nearly 6 million figurines, which go for about $13 each, by the end of 2014.

Amiibo was a badly needed success for Nintendo—but one that underscores the difficult position the video-game pioneer finds itself in. The company that generated enormous profits in the 1990s and 2000s by introducing innovations in game controls and forcing rivals to adopt its ideas now at times follows in the footsteps of the competition.
The gamemaker Activision has been selling similar toys since 2011, grossing nearly $3 billion. Disney, meanwhile, has its own version, based on movie characters such as Buzz Lightyear and Captain Jack Sparrow.

Nintendo has been struggling for years. Wii U, the successor to the wildly popular Wii, has sold just under 10 million units since its launch in 2012. (From 2006 to 2014, Nintendo sold more than 100 million Wiis. And Microsoft and Sony, which launched competing systems after Wii U, have both outsold it.) Last summer, Nintendo laid off over 300 employees in Europe. And the company’s return to modest profitability late last year, thanks in part to a weaker yen, materialized after three consecutive years of losses. Nintendo’s critics have been relentless in demanding that the company abandon its hardware business and make versions of its games for smartphones and tablets."

http://time.com/3749061/nintendo-mobile-gaming/?xid=tcoshare

Read the first 2 paragraphs more than anything. I'll add my 2 cents later but suffice to say what the hell goes on over there?

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

Can we create a Nintendo rant thread? The moaners/defenders can stay out and the world will be fine. I defend and love Nintendo but I will and do speak out when I see them going down the tube. People clearly didn't read the TIME articles I published here, if you had you'd have noticed something in the first article straight away. Perhaps the author was purposely making a point starting off that way. I'll delve further today and it encapsulates so much of what is wrong with Nintendo. Iwata or/and his practises have to stop. I'm in a bad mood as some may have gathered. F all releases and what has been are $h1t€. If Iwata doesn't change he has to go, otherwise he'll bring down Nintendo or change the face of the company as we know it and it's not just him. I'll post the quote so and I'll leave it at that for now but it speaks volumes about the company at present.

Give me a minute or 2.

"In late 2013, Satoru Iwata sat alone on a bullet train headed toward Tokyo. As the carriage sped silently down the track,
Iwata
, the puckish
CEO of Nintendo, began sketching out a new idea
: a line of physical toys with built-in chips that connected wirelessly to the company’s varied game systems. The toys would let Nintendo trade on its universe of characters like Mario and Donkey Kong while generating new sales.

Iwata
, a 55-year-old who dresses in three-piece suits and speaks in measured phrases, often pausing to chuckle,
says he got more and more excited as he mulled the concept. He dashed off a four-page pitch to his engineers. “It was something I believed would be completely new for us,” he recalls.
The result was an array of figurines dubbed Amiibo (Japanese wordplay meant to evoke friends playing together), which launched worldwide a little less than a year later and turned out to be a hit. Nintendo says it sold nearly 6 million figurines, which go for about $13 each, by the end of 2014.

Amiibo was a badly needed success for Nintendo—but one that underscores the difficult position the video-game pioneer finds itself in. The company that generated enormous profits in the 1990s and 2000s by introducing innovations in game controls and forcing rivals to adopt its ideas now at times follows in the footsteps of the competition.
The gamemaker Activision has been selling similar toys since 2011, grossing nearly $3 billion. Disney, meanwhile, has its own version, based on movie characters such as Buzz Lightyear and Captain Jack Sparrow.

Nintendo has been struggling for years. Wii U, the successor to the wildly popular Wii, has sold just under 10 million units since its launch in 2012. (From 2006 to 2014, Nintendo sold more than 100 million Wiis. And Microsoft and Sony, which launched competing systems after Wii U, have both outsold it.) Last summer, Nintendo laid off over 300 employees in Europe. And the company’s return to modest profitability late last year, thanks in part to a weaker yen, materialized after three consecutive years of losses. Nintendo’s critics have been relentless in demanding that the company abandon its hardware business and make versions of its games for smartphones and tablets."

http://time.com/3749061/nintendo-mobile-gaming/?xid=tcoshare

Read the first 2 paragraphs more than anything. I'll add my 2 cents later but suffice to say what the hell goes on over there?

What goes on there? Game development and idea conception.

Good god, you're ridiculously grumpy. You're trying to just start fights now. There is nothing wrong or "shocking" about the first two paragraphs or what you have highlighted. Again, grow up.

I do like how TIME uses Nintendo of Europe shifting from contracted to freelance workers as a sign of struggle, but yet certain other companies have laid off thousands and are classed by them as doing better.

Edited by Serebii

Wii's in a bad mood. That explains his nonsensical complaining about nothing out of the ordinary. What are you so outraged by exactly??

I think he's trying to compare Iwata saying that the amiibo stuff is "new to us" to be "new" and that they work in a vacuum ignoring the rest of the industry and so Iwata needs to go, when the article doesn't say or imply that.

He's also working off of the assumption that the implementation of amiibo is akin to that of Skylanders and Disney Infinity, when it is not. With that sort of specious logic, every game with jumping has ripped off Donkey Kong.

@Wii, you realise you yourself can create threads! nobody is going to do it for you.

I was more asking if it's allowed? I have my answer.

I'll explain what I highlighted above. Iwata sketching out a new idea is total BS. Activision and Disney had been doing this a few years before Nintendo. And picture him getting all excited as he hops and skips merrily to the engineers. A company of thousands yet it falls on the shoulders of the President to come up with this brilliant, never been seen before new idea. Thank God for Iwata, imagine if he hadn't come up with the "new idea" and "mulled the concept"? I'll leave the new thread for now and focus on this point. What does it tell you about the company?

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

I was more asking if it's allowed? I have my answer.

I'll explain what I highlighted above. Iwata sketching out a new idea is total BS. Activision and Disney had been doing this a few years before Nintendo. And picture him getting all excited as he hops and skips merrily to the engineers. A company of thousands yet it falls on the shoulders of the President to come up with this brilliant, never been seen before new idea. Thank God for Iwata, imagine if he hadn't come up with the "new idea" and "mulled the concept"? I'll leave the new thread for now and focus on this point. What does it tell you about the company?

Again, just because they're figures with NFC doesn't make it the same idea as Skylanders.

Considering they were approached for Skylanders exclusivity, they know it exists. You're trying to make problems where they don't exist. Stop it.

I do like how TIME uses Nintendo of Europe shifting from contracted to freelance workers as a sign of struggle, but yet certain other companies have laid off thousands and are classed by them as doing better.

It's not right that other companies do it but these articles are about Nintendo. Nintendo laid off 100's of workers and hired freelance workers which gives them greater freedom to treat people like crap and fire them at a moments notice if they so please.

There are problems, don't tell me to stop, I don't tell that to you.

Again, just because they're figures with NFC doesn't make it the same idea as Skylanders.

Considering they were approached for Skylanders exclusivity, they know it exists. You're trying to make problems where they don't exist. Stop it.

Considering Activision did come to Nintendo with Skylanders it does make you wonder why it took Nintendo so long, and why when it did come they didn't have this 'big game' for the figures. Their integration is just about ok, considering you could just collect them as figures anyway, but you could say the same about the Infinity figures. And the Smash designs were a little unthought out with the plastic supports in weird colours. Yes they're in Smash poses, but still.

It's not right that other companies do it but these articles are about Nintendo. Nintendo laid off 100's of workers and hired freelance workers which gives them greater freedom to treat people like crap and fire them at a moments notice if they so please.

There are problems, don't tell me to stop, I don't tell that to you.

Nintendo of Europe did, while shifting their headquarters to another city, so keeping the staff would have meant a lot of relocation etc.. It wasn't the overall company downsizing to save money. You're removing context and just using figures to push your erroneous narrative. You sir, are Fox News.

Edited by Serebii

Nintendo of Europe did, while shifting their headquarters to another city, so keeping the staff would have meant a lot of relocation etc.. It wasn't the overall company downsizing to save money. You're removing context and just using figures to push your erroneous narrative. You sir, are Fox News.

1191763_o.gif