Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

For me Sony easily had the worst showing last year and they know they did. The Gamescom presser was something else though and fixed everything that was wrong with the E3 conference.

I'm hoping Nintendo put on another event like the Smash Tournament. It was amazing sitting up until 1 in the morning and watching it and chatting in the chat room with you guys. Good times.

The Treehouse section were great up until they started repeating everything. It's great for those who missed out but for those you watched it all it got very repetitive. I just hope they keep Audrey out of the picture this year. Her constant use of the word exactly was a real mood killer.

Whilst I've stopped paying a lot of attention to E3, I followed some of Nintendo and enjoyed their showing(can't compare to others as didn't see) - but given that Sony were apparently the worst doesn't it show how irrelevant it's become as they're essentially the market leader right now.

All will be forgiven if they release an Everybody Votes Channel 2.

Heyyy! I enjoyed the EVC!

maxresdefault.jpg

My Wii U GamePad has stopped working. The last time I used it, sometimes last week, was at a friends house and it was perfectly fine but we finished the night playing a Wii Remote based game and it ran out of battery. I thought nothing and went home.

Went to charge it today and nothing, no orange light, no life. Tried it in every which way and no dice. Not sure whats happened but either the battery has bit the bullet or the charging socket has. I've used my friends charger and got a USB one off ebay and none of them work so I know it's not the charger.

What's the easiest way to get it fixed or replaced? As... along with many things, simply replacing a controller is no easy task with Wii U :p

maxresdefault.jpg

My Wii U GamePad has stopped working. The last time I used it, sometimes last week, was at a friends house and it was perfectly fine but we finished the night playing a Wii Remote based game and it ran out of battery. I thought nothing and went home.

Went to charge it today and nothing, no orange light, no life. Tried it in every which way and no dice. Not sure whats happened but either the battery has bit the bullet or the charging socket has. I've used my friends charger and got a USB one off ebay and none of them work so I know it's not the charger.

What's the easiest way to get it fixed or replaced? As... along with many things, simply replacing a controller is no easy task with Wii U :p

You should try swapping the battery for the one in your friends gamepad. Just to rule out whether the battery is knackered or if the gamepad is faulty. Your best bet is to contact Nintendo, don't know how much it'll cost but it may not be cheap depending on the problem.

I've been looking to buy a second gamepad recently as backup should mine ever fail. There was one that sold for €30 that I missed out on by about an hour. Like Nintendo Tvii is the second gamepad on the same Wii U but a pipe dream at this stage?

maxresdefault.jpg

How long/when did you buy the WiiU? Out-of-warranty Ninty repairs tended to be at a 2-tiered cost system, and looking it up now...WiiU repairs are £53.50 for minor repairs, £85.50 for major.

For a system that isn't best priced, that'd be very hefty for myself. Try and see if there's any way to get it done under a warranty, or if you're feeling super cheeky buy a new WiiU for one, do it as faulty, then sell the system on. It's totally not cool, theoretically, but that's a hefty price for a 'minor' repair.

maxresdefault.jpg

I've had this happen with mine a few times and strangely it starts charging again after trying the charger in a different plug socket. Give that a try if you haven't already.

It is up to standard...

... the Nintendo standard. ;)

Nextgen! :indeed:

(Personally I've never had a problem with the way in which the gamepad charges but even I won't deny that USB charging would have been a lot easier than having a second brick!)

The GamePad probably uses more juice than a USB port can provide.

Most likely, I've never really had an issue with it but the power brick is a bit of an annoyance, I have to keep it tucked away down the side of my PC otherwise it just gets in the way.

Being that there is a power brick for the Gamepad I think there is definitely scope for a redesign in order to make the unit slimmer even if it would be too little, too late; the size of it is reasonable but awkward to hold for long periods of time I find.

The fact you can't plug the GamePad in via USB is my single biggest irritation with the Wii U. I thought that was standard by now.

I can just picture a dongle that would require all 4 USB ports to be used and in true Nintendo fashion they'd probably under supply the thing.

No no no, Nintendo are $hit, get with the Wii U general discussion script.

We could always do what you do and paper over the cracks whilst pretending everything is rosy... :p

Actually, on a positive note, I do really like the Gamepad. Off-TV play has been great for me because I share a flat and the WiiU is in the front room with the TV.

It really is nice happily gaming away even if the TV is on.

I'm looking forward to playing through Bayonetta 1&2 too so I know this will come in handy!

Iwata Still Believes That One Piece Of Software Could Turn Around Their Fortunes

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata still firmly believes they can turn around the fortunes of the Wii U with a single piece of software. Iwata points towards Pokemon on the Game Boy as a prime example of this and says that while they’re struggling with the console at the moment something like this could well happen again. Do you think a single piece of software could change the Wii U’s fortunes?

On another front, we have witnessed one single software title completely change the entire picture of our business many times. I believe one of the most impressive stories was the time when people thought the Game Boy platform was virtually over. However, a software title called “Pokémon” turned things around for the platform and ended up creating the biggest annual sales for Game Boy in the latter half of the platform’s eventual lifecycle. Therefore, we do not believe that the situation so far means that there will not be a bright future. However, we should learn from our experiences of not being able to perfectly respond to certain social changes such as changes in the way consumers collect and receive information.

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/02/24/iwata-still-believes-that-one-piece-of-software-could-turn-around-their-fortunes/

We could always do what you do and paper over the cracks whilst pretending everything is rosy... :p

Yeah, I'm not saying "The games are crap" or "It's underpowered". But using USB even just for communication would genuinely improve the experience for me. ::shrug:

It really does go to show that he thinks there is a 'silver bullet' to get a system selling. That line of thinking flies in the face of working hard to incorporate features people want in your console, and putting effort into fostering relationships with third parties. It shows he just hasn't got a clue.

It really does go to show that he thinks there is a 'silver bullet' to get a system selling. That line of thinking flies in the face of working hard to incorporate features people want in your console, and putting effort into fostering relationships with third parties. It shows he just hasn't got a clue.

The DS struggled until Brain Age hit, then it flew off the shelves.

The Wii had a huge shot in the arm with Wii Fit.

The 3DS wasn't selling until Kart and 3D Land

One piece of software CAN and has turned around a system's fortunes.