Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

Really? At what point in the Wii's lifecycle were you satisfied? 1.5 years into it?

Launch day - Twilight Princess took care of that!

Thats just because thats all we know... Is it really a long shot to think there are other big titles in the pipeline?...

I'm not suggesting there aren't, why I'm saying it's down to these two are because they're Nintendo's big online games. If they don't have voice-chat it just confirms to me that Nintendo have completely lost touch with me. That's the importance of these two.

Launch day - Twilight Princess took care of that!

I'm not suggesting there aren't, why I'm saying it's down to these two are because they're Nintendo's big online games. If they don't have voice-chat it just confirms to me that Nintendo have completely lost touch with me. That's the importance of these two.

Well, going by what Pokemon X/Y offered, and seeing how Smash has always made generational improvements - Its a safe bet to say they will.

After TP, I remember one of the longest droughts ever, with no Assasins Creed, no Batman... Minimal third party goodness.

Ah, but when you get even more older and start a family, then Nintendo's strategy will be awesome again :)

Not at all. My brother is married, works full time and has two daughters. He won't touch Nintendo stuff as he can't chat to his family while playing. Same goes for one of his daughters. She is always on the 360 chatting and playing with her friends. That also goes for my nephews as well.

Gaming isn't just about playing anymore. It has become very much a social experience for a lot of people.

Personally I don't buy Nintendo consoles for their online capabilities. I buy them for the single player Nintendo games.

So for me it is not too much of a problem as long as the games keep getting released.Yes I do find it frustrating that online isn't as good as the other consoles but it doesn't bother that much it makes me not want to play my Wii U.

For those that it does bother them so much then just buy another console and play with your mates on that. That way you can play Nintendo games on your Wii U and enjoy the online features, decent 3rd party support and their exclusives on the other console.

I know the Wii U doesn't have as good online and it probably never will.

Currently I do not have the time to have two consoles at present. I have a massive back log of Wii U games to get through. But if I ever get through the backlog and there is nothing else released then I probably would pick up a second console.

Not at all. My brother is married, works full time and has two daughters. He won't touch Nintendo stuff as he can't chat to his family while playing. Same goes for one of his daughters. She is always on the 360 chatting and playing with her friends. That also goes for my nephews as well.

Gaming isn't just about playing anymore. It has become very much a social experience for a lot of people.

That's what Skype is for :p

For me, gaming will always be about the games. To hell with the "social experience", that has no bearing on it for me.

For me, gaming will always be about the games. To hell with the "social experience", that has no bearing on it for me.

I agree.

But to be honest Nintendo should be including those things and it is a shame that they don't. People should not have to use their phones or use skype in order to enjoy online gaming.

For those that it does bother them so much then just buy another console and play with your mates on that. That way you can play Nintendo games on your Wii U and enjoy the online features, decent 3rd party support and their exclusives on the other console.

My issue is that while I can get my online fix elsewhere, why should I have to? I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where I can afford multiple consoles but others aren't, they have to pick one or the other.

I like both.

You can have great single player experiences on a console and then also have a laugh with your mates on multiplayer games. It doesn't, or rather it shouldn't, have to be one or the other.

@Hero\-of\-Time

Oh I completely agree. Why should you have to buy another console? I'm not at all disagreeing with that. It is wrong that due to Nintendo's stubborness that people are having to buy another expensive console.

But those that have the means to buy one and has the time to enjoy it then go for it. It is the only way people are going to enjoy both Nintendo games and also a console that has decent online capabilities.

I agree.

But to be honest Nintendo should be including those things and it is a shame that they don't. People should not have to use their phones or use skype in order to enjoy online gaming.

You agree yet without MH3U and CoD online would you have enjoyed your WiiU anywhere near as much? Especially because of MH3U, I know how much you loved that!

You agree yet without MH3U and CoD online would you have enjoyed your WiiU anywhere near as much? Especially because of MH3U, I know how much you loved that!

No I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much.

Look I am not disagreeing with you about Nintendo's online strategy and how shit it is!

whynothaveboth.gif

Its annoying that all my mates use playstations and never buy nintendo anymore, they all did upto the PS3 era, when online became more prevelant. Sure they all bought Wii's as they were great consoles for local multiplayer at parties, but when it came to online everyone uses the PS3 (now PS4 out of my mates) out of the 10 or so close friends i see 1 had a wii and added me for Mario Kart and then he sold it because he got annoyed with the online system

Why can't nintendo have both?

The have kids when you age for multiplayer thing is laughable, when i have kids i'll be babysitting them and teaching them to play it won't be the same experience i want from multiplayer. Nintendo could and should copy (the almost standard now)online set up, it doesn't have to replace anything

After TP, I remember one of the longest droughts ever, with no Assasins Creed, no Batman... Minimal third party goodness.

The Wii U has been lucky so far in regards to third party games, due to a long cross-generation period. Now that developers are focusing on the PS4 and XBO, the Wii U will get minimal third party support.

Really? At what point in the Wii's lifecycle were you satisfied? 1.5 years into it?

From day one to the end of the Wii's life! I loved my Wii, in fact it's my favourite console of all time!

I had numerous games on the Wii that I put in over 200 hours on. I have over 60 retail games for the system, several eShop titles and a couple of VC games too.

I spent over 550 hours on Call of Duty: Black Ops alone!

Well, I think the Wii U hasn't bloomed enough to judge its online potential. Aside from Pikmin (which can easily get an updated online Wii U sequel), what other Nintendo released is really online-friendly?

New Super Mario Bros. U, Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, NintendoLand and Wii Party U.

I don't remember the last time I played a demo.

The last demo I played was for W101 - I resultantly bought it. Admittedly it's still sealed somewhere, but I wouldn't even have bought it without the demo - someone made more money on me then than they might now.

Who says they're not building better ties.

As for exposure & marketing/advertising, I believe they'll be going full force when Mario Kart's out.

You said they'd be in full force towards the end of last year. You're worse than Pachter.

For me it's that Nintendo are losing touch with me, a fan of theirs.

I've owned a NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, Gameboy, GBC, GBA, DS and a 3DS. I've grown up playing Nintendo games and love their franchises. It was a blast playing multiplayer on the N64 and GC with my brother and my friends round at ours... now we've all grown up, moved out and to different cities, we can't get together and play those games readily so online is the best option for us. This is where Nintendo are losing touch with me. I want to play with my friends and chat and have a laugh with them but Nintendo are hell-bent on making that as difficult as possible!

Feel very similar to this myself sometimes.

On an unrelated point - The Wii U came out in what, December 2012? Does anyone know the losses made by Nintendo since 2012-now?

My issue is that while I can get my online fix elsewhere, why should I have to? I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where I can afford multiple consoles but others aren't, they have to pick one or the other.

This. Some of us picked the Wii U on promises of all these things - they haven't come but we've already dropped the money. It's difficult to get it back and swap over to the competition.

Fair enough - Nintendoland especially, but I can easily see future online sequels.

Why future? Why didn't we have them now? Even Pikimin, too, why wasn't it online? The Wii U hasn't bloomed because Nintendo aren't taking good enough care of it to nurture its growth into something bigger and beautiful, that's the problem people have.

I simply don't get the philosophy that we should have to sit and play games locally. It is nonsense. The option should be there for both. Nintendo Land was ruined by a lack of online.

Nintendo are not going to force people to play locally. Millions of people aren't going to start joining together and arranging to meet up to play Nintendo Land. They simply won't buy it and if they do they won't play it as much as they would have.

One of Nintendo's main failures with the Wii U was that it was built around a failed concept. When Nintendo bucked the growing online trend back in the GC days with the absurd GBA/GC connectivity and Pacman Vs it should have taught them a lesson - no one wanted it.

That little experiment flopped and was dwarfed by the growing popularity of XBOX Live and the stand out online experiences like Halo 2.

Had Nintendo jumped in with online and made Smash Bros. and Double Dash online on the GC they could have been ahead of the curve. Now they are behind the curve and still obsessed with trying to do things differently.

I'm all for different if different means better, but when different is different just for the sake of it and flies in the face of logic its a pointless endeavour. I am really at a loss why after finding the key to success - cheap, mass market, accessible console gaming, they have gone back in time and returned to a convoluted system that most people don't want.

Why future? Why didn't we have them now? Even Pikimin, too, why wasn't it online? The Wii U hasn't bloomed because Nintendo aren't taking good enough care of it to nurture its growth into something bigger and beautiful, that's the problem people have.

Well I agree. But Nintendo are conservatives with online play, and online sequels can be a major game changer.

Nintendo BELIEVE TM

:laughing:

That's odd because most of Nintendo's games are based on the social experience, at least locally.

Do we really have to have this sensationally dull debate every month or so?! I don't mind chatting about what we want nintendo to fix with the wii u, I was it was so incredibly negative and doom mongering, but Nintendo havent given much to instil faith I guess. But please can we not talk about Nintendo going third party, it just encourages the king of the trolls to spew bile on the forum.

Nintendo are atrocious online, mind bogglingly inept, Donkey Kong was a decent effort though and Mario Kart will be the big test. Can't we all be positive and excited about Mario Kart and then turn on NIntendo if they unleash online wank?!