NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

The Wii U is likely to go a year without a AAA game. Smash Bros. being the last game. Xenoblade Chronicles X, which I can't wait for but isn't everyones cup of tea will probably be the next game and possibly the last if Zelda doesn't come out on Wii U. All the games in the interim have averaged 80% or less. Starfox I can nearly say with confidence won't be a AAA game. Fatal Frame will probably be an 80 something game.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - 81%

Mario Party 10 - 66%

Mario vs Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars - 70%

Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush - 73%

Splatoon - 81%

Yoshi's Woolly World - 79%

Seems like they're just going through the motions. Did I miss a game? I don't think so.

Dude, you put far too much stock in review scores ( as do most in here given the arguments that break out over them ).

For me, Captain Toad and Kirby were 90%+ games and far more enjoyable that most AAA, open world romps, that most developers seem to be aiming for these days.

Captain Toad was soooo good. Wish they would release some DLC level packs for that.

Kirby, 90%+? Not a hope. I'd agree with the review scores. Though I haven't played it yet, only Yoshi I'd say might deserve higher. Splatoon is good but it's not outstanding.

Of the games released on WiiU this year, regardless of review scores, only Xenoblade looks AAA to me... so in that respect I agree with @Wii.

"We thought that... you could have the rapid boot-up of tablet-type functionality...

Miyamoto

Is he taking the piss? Rapid boot-up?

Kirby, 90%+? Not a hope. I'd agree with the review scores. Though I haven't played it yet, only Yoshi I'd say might deserve higher. Splatoon is good but it's not outstanding.

Splatoon in my opinion is 85-90%, because the singleplayer should be longer it's not more (I do take into account the first proper update which should improve it to the score I have mentioned).

Maybe them talking about transformation is a hint that they want to become something more than a games company.

Especially considering the Universal deal, the craving/hype for amiibo, the Pikmin short movies...

Maybe they are trying to find new markets for their IP because they struggle with modern videogame taste and needs.

That makes a lot of sense and I could see that happening. The danger with this is that Nintendo could stretch themselves too thin.

With Splatoon having reached the 1,000,000 mark, I thought I'd have a look at the list of Wii U games to likewise do so and threw in the competition by way of comparison.

Wii U Million Sellers List- 10 in total;

1. Mario Kart 8
  2. Nintendo Land
  3. New Super Mario Bros. U
  4. Super Mario 3D World
  5. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  6. New Super Luigi U
  7. Wii Party U
  8. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
  9. Hyrule Warriors
  10. Splatoon

Playstation 4 Million Sellers List - 4 in total;

1. Killzone Shadow Fall
  2. Bloodborne
  3. InFamous Second Son
  4. The Last of Us Remastered

Xbox1 Million Sellers List- 5 in total;

1. Titanfall
  2. Call of Duty: Ghosts
  3. Battlefield 4
  4. Dead Rising 3
  5. Forza Motorsport 5

Not bad for a console that's severely lagging behind the competition in terms of hardware sold. The Wii U is also the only console to have more than one 2,000,000+ seller(MK8 and Smash Bros.).

*awaits comments that there is less software on the Wii U, so sales will obviously be higher for individual games*

With Splatoon having reached the 1,000,000 mark, I thought I'd have a look at the list of Wii U games to likewise do so and threw in the competition by way of comparison.

Wii U Million Sellers List- 10 in total;

1. Mario Kart 8
  2. Nintendo Land
  3. New Super Mario Bros. U
  4. Super Mario 3D World
  5. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  6. New Super Luigi U
  7. Wii Party U
  8. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
  9. Hyrule Warriors
  10. Splatoon

Playstation 4 Million Sellers List - 4 in total;

1. Killzone Shadow Fall
  2. Bloodborne
  3. InFamous Second Son
  4. The Last of Us Remastered

Xbox1 Million Sellers List- 5 in total;

1. Titanfall
  2. Call of Duty: Ghosts
  3. Battlefield 4
  4. Dead Rising 3
  5. Forza Motorsport 5

Not bad for a console that's severely lagging behind the competition in terms of hardware sold. The Wii U is also the only console to have more than one 2,000,000+ seller(MK8 and Smash Bros.).

This list says otherwise.

http://www.vgchartz.com/platform/69/playstation-4/

Not accounting for digital sales, there's 25+ titles that have surpassed 1 million sales on the PS4. The Xbox One is around 20 as well.

I assume you got that info from the Reddit page that sourced the wikipedia of all places.

This list says otherwise.

http://www.vgchartz.com/platform/69/playstation-4/

Not accounting for digital sales, there's 25+ titles that have surpassed 1 million sales on the PS4. The Xbox One is around 20 as well.

I assume you got that info from the Reddit page that sourced the wikipedia of all places.

To be fair, using VGChartz isn't that much better. While I agree the wiki list is outdated, VGChartz doesn't use true data. That's why it's banned on GAF

To be fair, using VGChartz isn't that much better. While I agree the wiki list is outdated, VGChartz doesn't use true data. That's why it's banned on GAF

I used as a rough estimate. There was simply no way that there were only 4 1 million sellers on the PS4.

Splatoon already on 1 million, so 3-4 million could be expected!?

The GC was another console with a low install base but first party software sold really well.

Splatoon to reach a mil so quickly surprised me and I was wrong on how I thought it would do. Shame it hasn't managed to improve hardware sales too much but I don't think any title will. Should mean a sequel and hopefully more new major IP's.

What we need to see happen going forward is the Nintendo console of 1 mil sellers becomes more populated with 3rd party software.

I'm not that clued up on sales figures, will Nintendo be happy with Splatoon hitting 1 million this late after release?

I'm not that clued up on sales figures, will Nintendo be happy with Splatoon hitting 1 million this late after release?

You mean less than a month? Why wouldn't they be?

@Serebii, he did say he wasn't clued up on sales figures, your post doesn't explain much.

Yes @Ronnie, they'd be happy with that, it's a decent enough timescale to reach 1 million.

Yes @Ronnie, they'd be happy with that, it's a decent enough timescale to reach 1 million.

And taking into account this being a new IP on the WiiU. It's quite impressive.

I hope this encourages Ninty to carry on trying more new IP's out. There are some right gems that have come about from this. Even though they're mostly overlooked.

*Cough*Dillon's Rolling Western*cough

It did seem like an oddly short list

I think he's only using exclusives?

I think he's only using exclusives?

I dunno, the Xbox One list has Call of Duty Ghosts on it

Oh yeah...

Call it a load of bollocks then?

Sorry that it's inaccurate. I was thinking about games like Super Metroid and other VC games. Remember when they were 30p. They must have sold ridiculous amounts but would they count towards this list? There's a couple of other Wii U games that might make the list before the generation is over, e.g. Lego City Undercover should and maybe ZombiU.

I think so, as they had problems at the beginning with the shortage in stores, so maybe the numbers would be even bigger. Also, the games is really accepted in the gaming community so I expect the numbers to increase and to reach 3-4mil especially after the big update (where I think that the ratings will go also higher).

Plus, the game isn't really expensive.