NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

How is there no chance?

It's too advanced and can't be technically done.

Googlehangouts would work! And I'm sure you can still have voice chat on Skype without premium, just video chat needs premium.

As for mario kart and voicechat. I can't see it because nintendo are so stupid, they gave us friend codes to "protect children" but they did nothing, it was so stupid a reason.... Fact is, if they just allowed voicechat among friends only, or had privacy functions for adults so you can decide who you want to chat to... is it really THAT difficult to find a solution to please everyone?!?!

Mario Kart is a family title, they won't want kids playing online with the chance of other players swearing at them.

Do you honestly think Nintendo would put in a voice chat mode just for private games?

Like the gamepad, what's the point of parental controls if you don't or can't use them?

Like the gamepad, what's the point of parental controls if you don't or can't use them?

There are age ratings on games and passwords on in-app purchases and yet parents still moan that their children are exposed to the evils of the world.

Imagine integrated Wii U chat, so not just voice, but our faces in place of the character squares showing your position!

We can dream

The fact that we don't even know if Mario Kart will contain a basic online feature that is available in so many other games is disgraceful. It's got nothing to do with safety or protecting the children, it's just a slow attitude to move forward with the times.

The fact that we don't even know if Mario Kart will contain a basic online feature that is available in so many other games is disgraceful. It's got nothing to do with safety or protecting the children, it's just a slow attitude to move forward with the times.

The latest NWR podcast were on about the Wifi Connection shutting down and were talking very much about what you have just stated. Things that have become industry standard when it comes to playing games online are always up in the air when it comes to Nintendo. I personally believe its one of the many reasons why they are struggling this generation.

They didn't build a loyal online userbase last gen, games being tied to a console rather than an account, lack of party chat feature, instant messaging being irrelevant without notifications, basic features such as private lobbies to play with friends, all of these are hurting them and it shows just how far behind they are with the rest of the industry in this regard.

Imagine integrated Wii U chat, so not just voice, but our faces in place of the character squares showing your position!

We can dream

Stop dreaming about my face in a square!

But yeah, t'would be nice.

The latest NWR podcast were on about the Wifi Connection shutting down and were talking very much about what you have just stated. Things that have become industry standard when it comes to playing games online are always up in the air when it comes to Nintendo. I personally believe its one of the many reasons why they are struggling this generation.

They didn't build a loyal online userbase last gen, games being tied to a console rather than an account, lack of party chat feature, instant messaging being irrelevant without notifications, basic features such as private lobbies to play with friends, all of these are hurting them and it shows just how far behind they are with the rest of the industry in this regard.

The Wii Speak segment of that podcast was hilarious.

The Wii Speak segment of that podcast was hilarious.

I was listening to it while driving to work and completely lost it when they were on about wrapping it around their heads and using it like a headset. :D

Funny you should mention Wii Speak, I was in Tesco on Monday and they had 7 of them on display at €40 each. What a crock of $h1t€!

I only ever used it on 2 games, The Conduit and Monster Hunter 3, the latter of which is online no more. Bought it with Animal Crossing but never broke the seal on that game. It wasn't great and underused. How many games used it? <10? <5 even? Then it was replaced by the headbanger headset, again underused. Although between MH3 and Blops(more this), there was 1,200+ hours spent online so I probably got my moneys worth of both peripherals.

Pretty much it. Basically, all of their past failures are coming back around all at once. I'm seriously doubting Iwata's ability to keep up and I'm not sure he's got enough balls to drag Nintendo into the 21st Century.

The Wii had some reasoning behind it, at least. It was aiming to be different. It was a gamble and it paid off big-time. But, it also had flaws that Nintendo should have addressed. The online infrastructure was poor, standard online features weren't consistent across the console (never mind game to game) and there's also the issue over it being underpowered compared to its rivals. But, it also did so many things right, and the games were there at least, even towards the end with the likes of Xenoblade, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower.

The Wii U was a chance for Nintendo to show off what it could do online. As much as I like Nintendoland, it perfectly sums up the Wii U in so many ways. It's charming, yes. It's quirky, of course. But, it wouldn't have been out of place on the previous console. It contains an idea that some say is slowly dying...the idea of gamers just meeting up face-to-face (5 of you) and playing together this way. No online. All they had to do was implement some sort of online system in that (should have been console-wide, bleeh) and I'm sure it would have set them off on the right foot. The Wii U is almost an extension of some of the ideas from the Wii, rather than being its successor. It almost does feel like an add-on.

The Wii U was a chance for Nintendo to show off what it could do online. As much as I like Nintendoland, it perfectly sums up the Wii U in so many ways. It's charming, yes. It's quirky, of course. But, it wouldn't have been out of place on the previous console. It contains an idea that some say is slowly dying...the idea of gamers just meeting up face-to-face (5 of you) and playing together this way. No online. All they had to do was implement some sort of online system in that (should have been console-wide, bleeh) and I'm sure it would have set them off on the right foot. The Wii U is almost an extension of some of the ideas from the Wii, rather than being its successor. It almost does feel like an add-on.

Be fair, you can say that about the other new consoles and their software and features.

NintendoLand is an unfair option for an example, in my view. It's a game that really doesn't suit itself to online. It's completely designed around local multiplayer. For it to be online, the experience would, for lack of a better word, be cheapened.

Yes, the Wii U, and Nintendo still have an emphasis on local multiplayer. I like that. In 10 years, when Xbox 360 & PS3's servers are long gone as are some PS4 and Xbox One ones while others are barren , most will be lamenting the loss of it. Mark my words. The day local multiplayer is shifted out by Nintendo is the day fun gaming dies.

Edited by Serebii

The day local multiplayer is shifted out by Nintendo is the day fun gaming dies.

No.

If Nintendo offers a good/acceptable online experience with their games and maintain their great local multiplayer offerings the "fun gaming" will not die.

Should've been the case for a long time now, but sadly...it isn't.

In 10 years, when Xbox 360 & PS3's servers are long gone as are some PS4 and Xbox One ones while others are barren , most will be lamenting the loss of it.

No.

'Sony and Microsoft gamers' know that there won't be many local multiplayer games and quite frankly, they don't need them.

For PS3/360/PS4/XBox One online multiplayer is where it's at. And it's pretty much perfect.

Also, at that time new ultra consoles will be out/announced, anyway :p

Edited by drahkon

No.

If Nintendo offers a good/acceptable online experience with their games and maintain their great local multiplayer offerings the "fun gaming" will not die.

Should've been the case for a long time now, but sadly...it isn't.

No.

If they can do that, then huzzah. However, it'd delay titles even more than they already get delayed, and they'd eventually drop it just like practically every other developer has.

Be fair, you can say that about the other new consoles and their software and features.

NintendoLand is an unfair option for an example, in my view. It's a game that really doesn't suit itself to online. It's completely designed around local multiplayer. For it to be online, the experience would, for lack of a better word, be cheapened.

To an extent, yes. But, we're not talking about the other consoles, we're talking about Nintendo. When you compare their previous consoles and launch games with each other, they're all different and symbolic in some ways. The N64 had Super Mario 64, showcasing Mario in a never-before-seen way, full 3D visuals, full movement, etc. Luigi's Mansion showed the graphical prowess of the GameCube, the lighting, the awesome use of the controller's shoulder buttons, the fact that Luigi was getting some limelight. It was different, even the tone of the game was slightly quirkier that we're used to. Wii had Wii Sports which was...pretty mind-blowing in terms of idea and execution at the time. Nintendoland almost feels to me like it belongs on the previous system. It's more of a half-step.

I just don't buy into the idea that it shouldn't be online. For me, it's an excuse. The world is changing and Nintendo has to change with it in order to keep up. If they were truly serious about online gaming, they would have made this work and they would have found a way. By not including online gaming, you're automatically excluding a huge chunk of your potential audience.

Even then, if Nintendoland can't be done online, why use that as the star attraction and the Wii U's focal point? Why not create something that does symbolise what the Wii U's all about and make it online? It's such a massive part of gaming now and to not pay attention to it is silly, in my opinion.

However, it'd delay titles even more than they already get delayed, and they'd eventually drop it just like practically every other developer has.

Sounds like Nintendo dug their own grave.

Yes, the Wii U, and Nintendo still have an emphasis on local multiplayer. I like that. In 10 years, when Xbox 360 & PS3's servers are long gone as are some PS4 and Xbox One ones while others are barren , most will be lamenting the loss of it. Mark my words. The day local multiplayer is shifted out by Nintendo is the day fun gaming dies.

But what about the idea of having...both local and online multiplayer? You shouldn't be restricted to just one. Either way, to just focus on local multiplayer is a bad strategy and they are paying the price for it. If the games were flying off the shelves and they were getting some great press for their strategy, then we wouldn't have any problems. But, the fact is that for...pretty much 2 generations (this one - half a generation, the Wii, and the Gamecube) they've been getting bad press for their lack of online infrastructure. It hasn't improved enough. The gap between Nintendo and the competition is growing too large and they are losing a huge section of their fans who are now shifting over to the other systems because they're wanting new things.

Not adapting to the changing world is a bad strategy in any business. The world has changed and Nintendo are still trying to offer us things that might have worked at the start of last generation.

No.

'Sony and Microsoft gamers' know that there won't be many local multiplayer games and quite frankly, they don't need them.

For PS3/360/PS4/XBox One online multiplayer is where it's at. And it's pretty much perfect.

Also, at that time new ultra consoles will be out/announced, anyway :p

Exactly, but the servers will close. Gran Turismo 5 is already going down. Early PS3 and 360 games will be next. They'll all be gone by 2017 in my estimation. As such, major focuses of a massive portion of their games will be gone forever and they won't be able to play it with their friends.

To an extent, yes. But, we're not talking about the other consoles, we're talking about Nintendo. When you compare their previous consoles and launch games with each other, they're all different and symbolic in some ways. The N64 had Super Mario 64, showcasing Mario in a never-before-seen way, full 3D visuals, full movement, etc. Luigi's Mansion showed the graphical prowess of the GameCube, the lighting, the awesome use of the controller's shoulder buttons, the fact that Luigi was getting some limelight. It was different, even the tone of the game was slightly quirkier that we're used to. Wii had Wii Sports which was...pretty mind-blowing in terms of idea and execution at the time. Nintendoland almost feels to me like it belongs on the previous system. It's more of a half-step.

I know, but it's a bit hypocritical to criticise Nintendo for it and not the others when they're doing much the same.

N64 to Gamecube and SNES to N64 are among the greatest generational leaps ever. Quite probably the greatest we'll ever have.

I disagree though. I feel the lighting etc. in NintendoLand was spectacular and truly showed a generational leap while keeping the art style they set.

I just don't buy into the idea that it shouldn't be online. For me, it's an excuse. The world is changing and Nintendo has to change with it in order to keep up. If they were truly serious about online gaming, they would have made this work and they would have found a way. By not including online gaming, you're automatically excluding a huge chunk of your potential audience.

For a lot of games, I agree. If they manage to work out the latency issues, then NSMBU, 3D World etc. would be awesome online. However, the concept of NintendoLand doesn't lend itself to online multiplayer. It doesn't fit the concept.

Even then, if Nintendoland can't be done online, why use that as the star attraction and the Wii U's focal point? Why not create something that does symbolise what the Wii U's all about and make it online? It's such a massive part of gaming now and to not pay attention to it is silly, in my opinion.

It's because it was used to try and showcase the wonders of the GamePad, not the wonders of the online infrastructure. Nintendo is trying to sell the entire console, not just the online. As I said before, NintendoLand doesn't really lend itself. It'd lose a good part of it

They'll all be gone by 2017 in my estimation. As such, major focuses of a massive portion of their games will be gone forever and they won't be able to play it with their friends.

In two years? Probably won't be a problem. Most people will have switched to next gen at that time.

I also doubt that Sony will shut down their online service for PS3 anytime soon. There are still games coming out.

What other developers do with their online services, no idea. Sure, service for older games will shut down, but not for newer releases any time soon.

If they can do that, then huzzah. However, it'd delay titles even more than they already get delayed, and they'd eventually drop it just like practically every other developer has.

You do know a lot of titles with online multiplayer on other consoles let you play locally too? Borderlands 2 is a great example. So in reality their games would be just as delayed as those. You shouldn't try to make excuses for them not to better themselves.

In two years? Probably won't be a problem. Most people will have switched to next gen at that time.

I also doubt that Sony will shut down their online service for PS3 anytime soon. There are still games coming out.

What other developers do with their online services, no idea. Sure, service for older games will shut down, but not for newer releases any time soon.

Yeah, I think the biggest gripe I had with the Wii servers shutting down already is that it's not only soon, but the new console isn't taking while the old console was/still is for some games extraordinarily popular.

I'm also left thinking that PlayStation Now might mean we see PS3 servers staying up, and also you've got to consider the future. With the PS4, everyone is paying to play online. So in many respects, shutting down PS4 servers when the time comes may not happen for a while, since keeping them up may be profitable for longer.

I'm also not sure whether they'd go for a more integrated approach where there aren't specifically separate servers for each game. That seems like a good way to go if it's possible.

Edited by Sheikah

I would have bothered with NintendoLand if it had online. There's no good reason to omit it. Yes, the "experience" isn't 100% as good as local, but when you add voice chat, it's not far off. It also gives you a lot more opportunities to play the multiplayer.

Yeah, Nintendo Land would benefit immensely from online. Imagine Mario Chase, it already shows the runners face in a box, if you're all added as friends, it should have a little face box for everyone (as they'd all be using a GamePad) and have voice chat, it would almost be like being in the same room.

And heck, even if it's not quite as good as local-multiplayer, it's still an added extra that would get miles more value out of the game and attract a lot more people.

I don't believe any game could be hindered by an additional online mode. And the argument about it taking more time is invalid. Other developers seem to manage, I don't see why we should treat Nintendo any differently. If they're short staffed and can't get the games out on time then it's on them, they had years to prepare for this.

I know, but it's a bit hypocritical to criticise Nintendo for it and not the others when they're doing much the same.

It would be hypocritical if he'd said Nintendo don't do x but the others are faultless. That is not what he said. We are in a Nintendo forum discussion Nintendo. We shouldn't need to compare it to others, we should be able to focus on Nintendo. If we want to compare, we have General Gaming.

Flink is concerned about what Nintendo is doing. Yes, other makers may factor into that but it's not hypocritical to focus on one company, the company this forum is focusing on, in a discussion.

It would be hypocritical if he'd said Nintendo don't do x but the others are faultless. That is not what he said. We are in a Nintendo forum discussion Nintendo. We shouldn't need to compare it to others, we should be able to focus on Nintendo. If we want to compare, we have General Gaming.

Flink is concerned about what Nintendo is doing. Yes, other makers may factor into that but it's not hypocritical to focus on one company, the company this forum is focusing on, in a discussion.

Hypocritical was a poor choice of words. Apologies @Fierce_LiNk