NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Sony and Microsoft make strategic marketing and distribution partnerships with developers all the time. That's a precedent Nintendo needs to set.

And Nintendo do, as well. However, no company picks up the slack just because a developer's publisher is EA.

What MS and Sony do is moneyhat exclusive content on simultaneous multiformat releases and typically add a bit to their marketing budget to make it Sony/MS only.

However, this situation is different. It's not Nintendo's job to do what Alex Ward is whining about. It's EA's.

Edited by Serebii

That's because this kind of thing doesn't happen on other platforms.

Sony and Microsoft make strategic marketing and distribution partnerships with developers all the time. That's a precedent Nintendo needs to set.

Yup. You just have to look Sony and what they do with Assassins Creed or Microsoft with GTA. You gotta spend money to make money.

And Nintendo do, as well. However, no company picks up the slack just because a developer's publisher is EA.

Well, beggars can't be choosers tbh.

Why the hell is the Wii U version of NFS Most Wanted still so expensive? oO

I don't get it... they complain it's not selling but fail to drop the price. -.-'

Because everyone has cleared their stock?

It was less than £15 for a long time at most online retailers, I got mine for £13.99 from Base.com.

You have to snap up these deals whilst they're still there.

Because everyone has cleared their stock?

It was less than £15 for a long time at most online retailers, I got mine for £13.99 from Base.com.

You have to snap up these deals whilst they're still there.

I had no idea it had such a small print... Plus, I've only had my Wii U for 3 weeks, and ever since then I've been trying to buy it but still haven't found a bargain. Amazon have it for ~£30, which I guess I'd be willing to pay for it (huge criterion fan), but I'd love to be able to grab it for under 20...

I had no idea it had such a small print... Plus, I've only had my Wii U for 3 weeks, and ever since then I've been trying to buy it but still haven't found a bargain. Amazon have it for ~£30, which I guess I'd be willing to pay for it (huge criterion fan), but I'd love to be able to grab it for under 20...

I tend to grab deals as soon as they come up just in case, check out this lot:

Here's what I paid for the following games:

Need For Speed: £13.99

Splinter Cell: £15.99

Resident Evil: £15.99

Ninja Gaiden: £9.99

Mass Effect 3: £9.99

Assassin's Creed 3: £13.99

Batman Arkham City: £14.99

Deus Ex Human Revolution: £12.99

Zombi U: £19.99

Batman Arkham Origins: £14.99

That's half my game collection under for under twenty quid per game! Check out the deals thread on the board, I have found the best deals to be had are at Base.com, Zavvi and Amazon if that helps.

Toys'R'Us still have stock for instore pickup at £19.99, if you can get someone to collect a copy for you.

Toys'R'Us still have stock for instore pickup at £19.99, if you can get someone to collect a copy for you.

If that's still a reality in 3 weeks I'll pick it up myself. ^^

There is something wired going on Nintendo Network maintenance this week has been cancelled http://t.co/S6Tr3EE1KK

I think this is a case for the Mighty Canand! You should investigate, take to Twitter and see what you can find out...

Nintendo are even delaying maintenance now. When will this drought be over?!?!

Na, they probably delete the wrong value since the Pokémon maintenance is still listed despite having passed.

They're busy deleting all of the games from the eShop...

...should have only taken them five minutes. ;)

Nah, I jest but I'm sure some kind of announcement won't be far off, in the meantime though Nintendo could do a lot worse than getting a really big VC title out so at least it would give people something to play.

I know we're getting Super Mario Kart soon but how about another SNES classic like Yoshi's Island... so we can remember how good the original is before realising that the latest title most likely pales into insignificance...

...yeah actually probably not the best idea. :p

I know we're getting Super Mario Kart soon but how about another SNES classic like Yoshi's Island... so we can remember how good the original is before realising that the latest title most likely pales into insignificance...

...yeah actually probably not the best idea. :p

Isn't there a licensing issue in regards to the Super FX chip? It would explain why we never got likes of Yoshi's island and Starwing on the VC in the past.

The best we are probably gonna get is the shoddy GBA port. :(

Isn't there a licensing issue in regards to the Super FX chip? It would explain why we never got likes of Yoshi's island and Starwing on the VC in the past.

The best we are probably gonna get is the shoddy GBA port. :(

I've heard people spouting this all of a sudden on GAF and I don't see how it could be the case. If there were any licensing issues (and I don't see why there would be, considering that Nintendo co-developed the chip from scratch alongside Argonaut - it's not like it's technology that has been licensed from somebody else), who would they even pay license fees to? Argonaut don't exist anymore!

I've heard people spouting this all of a sudden on GAF and I don't see how it could be the case. If there were any licensing issues (and I don't see why there would be, considering that Nintendo co-developed the chip from scratch alongside Argonaut - it's not like it's technology that has been licensed from somebody else), who would they even pay license fees to? Argonaut don't exist anymore!

It's just a theory and has been banded about for ages now. The other theory being that the Super FX chip is hard to emulate, which again doesn't add up seeing as people have ran these games perfectly fine on emulators.

So either one of these are right or Nintendo just doesn't want to re-release 2 of their best games from the SNES generation.

considering i have Yoshi's island on my 3DS as part of the ambasador programm i'd say thats a load off bull crap about the FX chip license

It's just a theory and has been banded about for ages now. The other theory being that the Super FX chip is hard to emulate, which again doesn't add up seeing as people have ran these games perfectly fine on emulators.

So either one of these are right or Nintendo just doesn't want to re-release 2 of their best games from the SNES generation.

TBH there's plenty of other games that they could release right now that don't use special chips but seemingly don't want to... (cough: Pilotwings 64, Mother 1, Tetris & Dr Mario, Mario Paint, Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2 etc)

People all thought that Nintendo weren't able to re-release Earthbound due to copyright issues and yet, there it was...

They're just weird and don't subscribe to any sort of sensible logic ::shrug:

considering i have Yoshi's island on my 3DS as part of the ambasador programm i'd say thats a load off bull crap about the FX chip license

But that's the GBA port not the snes one

True but its still a version of that game re released....surely they wouldn't have been able to do that if it were a license issue?

maybe i'm not the best to comment on this but i think its just a clutching at straws idea

the long and the short of this is Nintendo are lazy when it comes to the VC! i firmly believe that the VC "Team" consists of single figures, potentiall a number of employees that could be counted on one hand...and given the current woes i bet they've poached people from that team, so you could count them on 1 hand and be giving nintendo the finger

I'm just going to unashamedly say that I love the wii u. I think Nintendoland, Zombi U are new experiences which I loved and still love now, zombi u's multiplayer, while should be online, is absolutely brilliant, and nintendoland is a local play dream. Mario 3D and Pikmin 3 are two of the best games I have ever played. Other games like Monster Hunter 3, Need for speed, and rayman are also amazing. I love the gamepad uses and love off tv play, I use it a stupid amount while watching football, or actually some games I prefer it - namely eshop and virtual console games. Miiverse is brilliant if currently a little cumbersome!

Looking forward couldn't be more excited for Mario Kart which looks unbelievable, and I'm sure Smash won't disappoint. There are some great games coming, and with the blitz of eshop indies and the expansion of the virtual console with gba and ds... who knows what e3 will have in store and a backs to the wall nintendo have always done special things!

Although I could write thousands of words why the wii u and nintendo piss me off. I love the Wii U for what it is.

TBH there's plenty of other games that they could release right now that don't use special chips but seemingly don't want to... (cough: Pilotwings 64, Mother 1, Tetris & Dr Mario, Mario Paint, Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2 etc)

People all thought that Nintendo weren't able to re-release Earthbound due to copyright issues and yet, there it was...

They're just weird and don't subscribe to any sort of sensible logic ::shrug:

Very true and it's infuriating at times.

I would like to know what the reasons are for some of these games never being released. Stuff like this is what I would like journalists to be asking Nintendo, not questions like " Who is your favourite Mario character, Reggie? "

Were there any changes made to the Earthbound VC release or was everything kept as it was?

I find Starwing (Starfox) and Yoshi's Island on the SNES really interesting titles. Starfox at the time was regarded as far more ground breaking and the graphics were something that everyone talked of.

However in retrospect Starfox has aged awfully and Yoshi's Island still looks beautiful and is one game where art style has made it timeless.

I'm just going to unashamedly say that I love the wii u. I think Nintendoland, Zombi U are new experiences which I loved and still love now, zombi u's multiplayer, while should be online, is absolutely brilliant, and nintendoland is a local play dream. Mario 3D and Pikmin 3 are two of the best games I have ever played. Other games like Monster Hunter 3, Need for speed, and rayman are also amazing. I love the gamepad uses and love off tv play, I use it a stupid amount while watching football, or actually some games I prefer it - namely eshop and virtual console games. Miiverse is brilliant if currently a little cumbersome!

Looking forward couldn't be more excited for Mario Kart which looks unbelievable, and I'm sure Smash won't disappoint. There are some great games coming, and with the blitz of eshop indies and the expansion of the virtual console with gba and ds... who knows what e3 will have in store and a backs to the wall nintendo have always done special things!

Although I could write thousands of words why the wii u and nintendo piss me off. I love the Wii U for what it is.

It really is a love/hate relationship with the Wii U, isn't it? :D

My excitement towards Mario Kart and Smash will live and die by how the online works.

I find Starwing (Starfox) and Yoshi's Island on the SNES really interesting titles. Starfox at the time was regarded as far more ground breaking and the graphics were something that everyone talked of.

Dat soundtrack though! :bouncy:

Edited by Hero-of-Time
Automerged Doublepost