NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

oh good were all arguing about the WiiU pad vs low power again....

Lets try a new angle on that shall we?

Would you have still bought thw wiiU including its gamepad....if it had the same/similar spec to the Xbone, and was the same price (assuming kinect/gamepad cost parity)

so £430 for a next gen WiiU?

I think i would, would dev's have supported it then?

If I knew it was future proof, yes. Developers would have supported it if it was similar to the competition. It would have been like the GC/PS2/XBOX generation.

Why is it that people say if you want 3rd party games that you should buy a competitors console? I paid near €400 for the Wii U, the same as PS4. Are they told if they want 3rd party games they should buy another console? My money's as good as theirs. We were promised things would be different. We got Tekken at launch, we never got that series before ever. Things looked rosy then but it was built shoddy foundations and a house of lies. I've done my bit supporting 3rd party games. I've about 10 games not including VC, NintendoLand is the only 1st party game and I only own that because the ZombiU bundle was sold out. MK8 will be my next 1st party game after 18 months, that's bad. I've 60+ games each on both Wii and GC. Half to 2/3 are 3rd party games. I can't see myself owning that many Wii U games. I was perfectly happy with both consoles, sure we missed out on some games but nothing like this. This is hell, I can't take another 5 years of this.

As for the gamepad, personally I love it, but they must (and said they will) use it more. I love Zombie U and Nintendoland and how it uses it, even 5 player on rayman, mario u, Sonic racing; two player online one on the gamepad one on the tv with cod for example. Batman Arkham City is so so much ether because the map and inventory are on the screen - how anyone can compare it to a start button is a bit weird; because it's usually not just start button, it's start, menu etc It's small, but it does tramline it brilliant.

Like Ville I love playing retro games, most eshop games on the gamepad and not on the TV at all, and generally off tv play is a great feature.

Fact is, there isn't really anything like it in the industry, and no remote play isn't the same, using tablets isn't the same... You don't think it's worth it? Fine. But again, why people aren't PLEASED there' something different on the market just surprises me. Everyone seems want three machines doing pretty much exactly the same thing!!

Why are you still talking to him other than you struggle to LET. GO!!!!

Twisting is maybe strong, but that video doesn't disprove what serbeii said, that video shows EVERYTHING the controller is capable of. But Nintendo HAVE said they wanted to break the gamer tied to a TV situation many times so does support what Serebii is saying.

He said the "entire" concept.

Wait, the Wii U actually does the video calls they showed in the tech demos?

Wait, the Wii U actually does the video calls they showed in the tech demos?

Yes. And you can draw on the video too. It works well, but because it's not multitasking it's almost useless!!

Maybe he meant "main", or maybe the inspiration. Who knows, but I think it was a huge aspect of NIntendo's thinking.

Dude he's added you to his ignore list.

Don't worry he'll see it. He can't resist. :D

And no, I don't have anything against either one of you guys, but the arguing just seems to go a bit overboard at times.

And no, I don't have anything against either one of you guys, but the arguing just seems to go a bit overboard at times.

I'm not arguing with him. I'm not bothered or offended, I've no problem with Serebii at all. He's very fanboyish, I used to be exactly like that but there's only so much BS from Nintendo I can take. I'm still Nintendo only, always have been.

(Just noticed this reply)...

I bet that the PS3 and 360 could handle it just fine and that the decisions to make it "next gen" only is for marketing reasons. It legitimises it by virtue of appearing to be something that only the "next gen" consoles can handle and thus is not being "held back" by those old busted machines; even if it ends up looking almost the same as the past Arkham games, just running in a higher resolution.

The PS4/Xbone userbase will be big enough by the end of the year for major publishers to feel comfortable in making exclusives for them.

You know, I get the feeling the game will look pretty next gen. There's still lots of money to be made from the old consoles I think, so for them to lock in next gen only is a pretty solid step. We'll see how good it looks when it comes. ;)

Edited by Sheikah

I guess you don't play many dungeon crawlers, Daft :p

Exactly what I was thinking! I've spent the last three nights drawing the maps in Etrian Odyssey IV! Not that I disagree with @Daft's points though.

Give me a pro controller and put more power under the hood and I think you have a better console than the one we have now. I also think the gamepad is too big and even though it has all the functions of a standard controller my hands hurt when using it for long period of time.

I agree (although it doesn't have analogue triggers, so it's not actually as functional as a standard pad). The GamePad is not bad as such; it's just very flat and very wide... It just doesn't fit in your hands as well as a great controller can.

You do that. Show me what I twisted? You made a statement, I showed a video, I didn't twist anything. That video is Nintendo's concept of what the Wii U is. It's better and easier to run away and ignore when you can't prove what you're talking about.

If I may step in (I must be stupid :heh:), I think @Serebii was saying off-TV play was Nintendo's original reason for making the GamePad (whether that's true or not, I have no idea), whereas what you showed was a video of the concepts they chose to present later on. Therefore, what you presented - even though it was a valid point - did not actually contradict what Serebii said.

Anyway, chill everyone. It's a lovely day! :awesome:

Yes. And you can draw on the video too. It works well, but because it's not multitasking it's almost useless!!

My biggest issue with it myself. Me and my mate did a couple video chats just to see - annoyingly it's not well integrated into the system that you can take a call whilst playing etc without closing down your software etc, unless I'm mistaken.

He also said "The gamepad has revolutionised gaming for me" which you then re-quoted as "The gamepad has revolutionised gaming" which is a huge difference and yet you then focus an enitre argument on one word "entire". Come on man play fair.

I don't want to take sides here and @Serebii defends Nintendo, sometimes to his own detriment, but there are people on here who are just as bad if not worse when it comes to Sony and in his defense this is a Nintendo forum.

The gamepad is justified in my house for off tv play alone. Some of the other stuff like multiplayer COD and Nintendo Land are great additions also. It' not just about sharing the tv. I will often have a football match on tv and play Wii U on the gamepad whilst champ manager is running on my laptop (now that's multitasking) What's the point in saying Nintendo should have ditched the gamepad and made a more powerful console instead, that's just a PS4.

What's the point in saying Nintendo should have ditched the gamepad and made a more powerful console instead, that's just a PS4.

A PS4 with Nintendo games. I'd have that over the Wii U and I'm sure many gamers would have too.

A true next gen console from Nintendo.

Nintendo should have ditched backwards compatibility as Wii's are now £30 or less so it added no value to the console.

Once they realised how expensive the gamepad was going to be to manufacture they should have dropped it and maybe released it a couple of years after the Wii U separately with games that really showcase how innovative it is.

A PS4 with Nintendo games. I'd have that over the Wii U and I'm sure many gamers would have too.

A true next gen console from Nintendo.

Nintendo should have ditched backwards compatibility as Wii's are now £30 or less so it added no value to the console.

Once they realised how expensive the gamepad was going to be to manufacture they should have dropped it and maybe released it a couple of years after the Wii U separately with games that really showcase how innovative it is.

I really hope with the next console they go with with a similar architecture to the competition and forget about backwards compatibility. I think the sales of PS4/XB1 show that people can live without it.

He also said "The gamepad has revolutionised gaming for me" which you then re-quoted as "The gamepad has revolutionised gaming" which is a huge difference and yet you then focus an enitre argument on one word "entire". Come on man play fair.

I don't want to take sides here and @Serebii defends Nintendo, sometimes to his own detriment, but there are people on here who are just as bad if not worse when it comes to Sony and in his defense this is a Nintendo forum.

The gamepad is justified in my house for off tv play alone. Some of the other stuff like multiplayer COD and Nintendo Land are great additions also. It' not just about sharing the tv. I will often have a football match on tv and play Wii U on the gamepad whilst champ manager is running on my laptop (now that's multitasking) What's the point in saying Nintendo should have ditched the gamepad and made a more powerful console instead, that's just a PS4.

At the moment it's a 360/PS3 with a gamepad.

Seriously, who was asking for this. It's not something gamers were craving for.

Soon as it was revealed your saw little buzz. People looked at it and we're not interested.

I don't understand why everyone wants off-TV play. Doesn't everyone have two TVs in their living room? :p

I don't understand why everyone wants off-TV play. Doesn't everyone have two TVs in their living room? :p

If nintendo really thought that off-tv was gonna be a popular feature I really do wonder what planet they are living on.

Good god man :p

I find off screen play useful if my girlfriend wants the TV whilst I'm mid level, thus giving me time to save the game or whatever, but that's a pretty rare occurrence as we have Sky+ so we are pretty flexible when it comes to when we watch our shows. We also have a laptop each and an iPad in the flat so it's never too much hassle for her if I need the TV.

It's a neat feature but given how poor games look on the gamepad I try to ignore it..I want my games in full HD!

And don't plan on going too far with the gamepad. It works in the next room when the console is directly on the other side. It can't cross a hallway and not a chance of working upstairs. Maybe my walls are made of lead or maybe you need walls made of paper. Nintendo dropping that in promoting the Wii U probably means they know it's not very good.

Edited by Wii

It's really the only way to play.

And don't plan on going too far with the gamepad. It works in the next room when the console is directly on the other side. It can't cross a hallway and not a chance of working upstairs. Maybe my walls are made of lead or maybe you need walls made of paper. Nintendo dropping that in promoting the Wii U probably means they know it's not very good.

Yeah the range us a major fail. Was hoping to be able to play in bed, but it only works in the bedroom directly above the wii u.

My WiiU is seemingly a Super WiiU. No lag or signal loss through two supporting brick walls, I do have to be fairly still or the signal does fail but thats pretty impressive.