NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

When I first had my Wii U the gamepad battery was mentioned a lot, I didn't understand as mine was fresh and lasted reasonably well. Now it's nearly a year old, it just dies too quickly. Almost considering getting a high capacity battery, but I think I'll just leave it plugged in forever

Having said that, a charging downstream USB port gives 5v, 1.5a.

The gamepad runs on 4.75v, 1.6amps.

It's as if Nintendo specifically designed it NOT to work with USB >(

7.6w required for the Gamepad

7.5w from USB.

(if my maths is correct.. which it likely isn't.)

But.. the gaps not that big... if the gamepad was cheap and readily replaceable I would be very tempted to play around with making a bespoke charger from USB. Would .25 of a volt really hurt the gamepad that much? :D

I don't know. I'd guess no but I'll let you try first though. electricf.gif

Edited by Wii

The GamePad is a pain for me now, too. It's definitely nowhere near as good as when I first got it. Probably doesn't help that I usually keep it on the charging stand that's always plugged in, so I only have myself to blame.

Anyway, as far as paid exclusives/collaborations are concerned, do you think Nintendo are doing enough? Now that third parties have all but gone, now more than ever they seem incredibly important. I mean, just imagine how bleak this year would be WITHOUT Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta and, to a certain extent, Sonic Boom.

We actually have got a fair few coming this year as I mentioned but what would you like to see next year? We've clearly got some good games on the way for 2015, like Zelda, Toad, X, but what collaborations would you like to see to fill the gaps?

The Pokémon announcement today was weird to me. I'm not fussed about it anyway, I hate traditional fighters, and I don't think it's really what anyone was asking for (in the West at least, I don't know what's going on in Japan but they're probably all for it) - But it seems weird it's going to arcades. It's the kind of thing you'd expect Nintendo to sway onto the Wii U instead, and fill the barren release-list we currently have.

Also, look at the GameCube era. Give SEGA some money, and sanity, to make another F-Zero. Everyone wants one and it'd mean they don't have to churn out another bloody Sonic game (which is all the seem to do these days). The Capcom five also did wonders for the GameCube, and is the kind of thing they really need to be doing right now.

Whenever I see a Direct or E3 recently, I'm always initially impressed, they always have great games to show but they're always so far away and so few and far between. They really need to go all guns blazing and get some damn games out, and quick.

They should definitely pay for more exclusives. Hyrule Warriors looks alright. Don't think I'll buy it though, not sure. It looks very repetitive. I think this year I'll be buying only Smash, Bayonetta 2, Shovel Knight and maybe a couple of other indie titles like SteamWorld Dig. That's not a lot. There's huge gaps everywhere in both timeframe and genre.

Don't care for Sonic. I don't know if SEGA could make another F-Zero. Amusement Vision are no more. Do they have the talent still? I'm all for letting them try.

Pay Capcom for some exclusives. They've plenty of talent and are desperate for money.

More collaborations with Namco. That Poke thing, don't care for it. I agree it should be on Wii U. What about an exclusive Tales game?

Reach out to western developers. Any collaboration we hear of is always Japanese.

Don't care for Sonic. I don't know if SEGA could make another F-Zero. Amusement Vision are no more. Do they have the talent still? I'm all for letting them try.

Yes, the Amusement Vision team was absorbed into Sega and they are the ones who make the Yakuza games.

I think they're (Amusement Vision/ the team that make Yakuza) still headed by notorious orange faced goblin Toshihiro Nagoshi. I'm amazed every time I see that guys face in a magazine that he's managed to cultivate a moustache that can only be described as feminine.

Pokken Fighters will 100% certainly come to Wii U after the arcade release (in fact, the arcade machine it's running on is probably just a modified Wii U).

Fighting games going to arcade first (where they take the opportunity to take on board feedback and balancing data) and then heading to console in refined form is generally the norm for the genre (plus Nintendo isn't going to pay Namco to make a game exclusively for the arcades, especially not when the Wii U is gasping for support).

Pokken Fighters will 100% certainly come to Wii U after the arcade release (in fact, the arcade machine it's running on is probably just a modified Wii U).

Fighting games going to arcade first (where they take the opportunity to take on board feedback and balancing data) and then heading to console in refined form is generally the norm for the genre (plus Nintendo isn't going to pay Namco to make a game exclusively for the arcades, especially not when the Wii U is gasping for support).

If anything, I imagine the Wii U's situation will cause Nintendo to urge Namco to shrink the gap between arcade and console launch

All very true and inconvenient. Also, why is the pro controller adapter different as well?

Didn't see this with my earlier post - tbh the Pro pad's is the most sensible, PS3 and many devices have used mini-usb. My 2.5 caddies use it, old mobile phones did for a bit(before micro became more standard as now), i had a couple card hubs that used them it too - it's generally more likely something you might have lying around.

When I first had my Wii U the gamepad battery was mentioned a lot, I didn't understand as mine was fresh and lasted reasonably well. Now it's nearly a year old, it just dies too quickly. Almost considering getting a high capacity battery, but I think I'll just leave it plugged in forever

Having said that, a charging downstream USB port gives 5v, 1.5a.

The gamepad runs on 4.75v, 1.6amps.

It's as if Nintendo specifically designed it NOT to work with USB >(

7.6w required for the Gamepad

7.5w from USB.

(if my maths is correct.. which it likely isn't.)

But.. the gaps not that big... if the gamepad was cheap and readily replaceable I would be very tempted to play around with making a bespoke charger from USB. Would .25 of a volt really hurt the gamepad that much? :D

Where did you get the info on power for USB? I don't know a lot about it, but I'm going to currently hazard a guess on potential non-standardization? How many devices tend to draw at 7.5W from a USB port? Do all USB ports have the capability to supply it?

Didn't see this with my earlier post - tbh the Pro pad's is the most sensible, PS3 and many devices have used mini-usb. My 2.5 caddies use it, old mobile phones did for a bit(before micro became more standard as now), i had a couple card hubs that used them it too - it's generally more likely something you might have lying around.

Where did you get the info on power for USB? I don't know a lot about it, but I'm going to currently hazard a guess on potential non-standardization? How many devices tend to draw at 7.5W from a USB port? Do all USB ports have the capability to supply it?

it's the USB standards, but I understand there is some variation. non-data USB power ports apparently can vary a fair bit.

I was looking at the USB 2 spec as my available USB ports are all usb 2. If you are very interested:

http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/usb20_docs/

Edited by Pestneb

Well I guess we got that August Nintendo Direct after all...

... just in the form of leaks and dodgy Pokemon livestream announcements :laughing:

After realizing the other day how much I've been missing out on over the last couple years with Nintendo games, I'm planning on picking up a Wii U in the next few weeks. Probably the 32 GB New Super Mario Bros. U bundle, if I can find it in stock anywhere.

A few things I'm wondering though:

Is the game pad it comes with fine on its own, or should I seriously consider picking up a pro controller?

Are there any other accessories that I would be strongly advised to pick up right away (I already have Wii remote(plus)s and nun chucks for any games that do require them)?

How large are Wii U games on average (in terms of file size)? I'm mainly trying to figure out if I can buy a few full retail games from the eShop without having to set up an external hard drive right away. Related to that, is there some reason I should consider buying physical disks rather than digital copies at this point?

Is there anything I need to know about the console that isn't obvious, or easily figured out?

And finally, although there are a few games I have in mind already, I'm wondering what the must have 2 or 3 games are for it that are out right now, or coming out the next couple of weeks. I'm only really interested in Wii U exclusives here, especially first party stuff.

After realizing the other day how much I've been missing out on over the last couple years with Nintendo games, I'm planning on picking up a Wii U in the next few weeks. Probably the 32 GB New Super Mario Bros. U bundle, if I can find it in stock anywhere.

A few things I'm wondering though:

Is the game pad it comes with fine on its own, or should I seriously consider picking up a pro controller?

Are there any other accessories that I would be strongly advised to pick up right away (I already have Wii remote(plus)s and nun chucks for any games that do require them)?

How large are Wii U games on average (in terms of file size)? I'm mainly trying to figure out if I can buy a few full retail games from the eShop without having to set up an external hard drive right away. Related to that, is there some reason I should consider buying physical disks rather than digital copies at this point?

Is there anything I need to know about the console that isn't obvious, or easily figured out?

And finally, although there are a few games I have in mind already, I'm wondering what the must have 2 or 3 games are for it that are out right now, or coming out the next couple of weeks. I'm only really interested in Wii U exclusives here, especially first party stuff.

Here we gooooo!

The Gamepad is 'fine' to the point of being usable for the games which require it but really... just buy a Pro Controller as it's essential plus it's money well spent.

A cover for the Gamepad! Seriously... you need this... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Official-Nintendo-Mario-Hard-Cover-for-Wii-U-GamePad-FREE-1ST-CLASS-POST-/321381781819?pt=UK_Video_Games_Cases_Bags&hash=item4ad3d8d13b

Hyrule Warriors

Large.. ish for Wii U games anyway, they range from a couple of GB to 14GB or something but just buy a hard drive as it's worth it for... reasons! But buy physical all the way if you can.

You can rotate the game icons on the home screen by pressing the L and R shoulder buttons, I mention this because it isn't obvious but it's funny when you trigger it by accident and watch all the little Mii's run after the icons...

... :blank:

Hyrule Warriors

What?

Finally... the three games that you should definitely get are...

Super Mario 3D World

Pikmin 3

Mario Kart 8

Hyrule Warriors

honourable mentions to...

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (because it's rare)

The Wonderful 101 (because it's underrated) Hyrule Warriors

The Legend of Zelda: Thw Wind Waker HD (because... it's self explanatory!)

Also did I mention that Hyrule Warriors is coming out in just over three weeks? :heh:

Hope this helps! : peace:

Hyrule Warriors! :awesome:

Thanks. That helps me out quite a bit.

As far as physical copies go, is there a technical reason to go for them, or is it just down to preference?

Thanks. That helps me out quite a bit.

As far as physical copies go, is there a technical reason to go for them, or is it just down to preference?

Nintendo's account system is pretty much rubbish, such that if your system breaks then you might kiss goodbye to all your digital games. Something like this happened to @Blade recently, which I'm sure he'll fill you in about. :p

Really? Something like that happened with my Wii several years ago, but Nintendo support made sure all my virtual console games were available to download again when they sent it back after repairs. Still, I'll definitely take that into consideration. Thanks.

Really? Something like that happened with my Wii several years ago, but Nintendo support made sure all my virtual console games were available to download again when they sent it back after repairs. Still, I'll definitely take that into consideration. Thanks.

You definitely won't lose your games in the event of a repair, worst case is you'll lose your save files. You can get by without a hard drive for a considerable time. You can delete games you have played to free up space and redownload them again at a later date.

I have two pro controllers and only use them for multilayer. See how you get along with the gamepad.

You can get by without a hard drive for a considerable time.

Yeah, the entire life of the console!

Two years!

Double zing.

Yeah, the entire life of the console!

Two years!

Double zing.

boo_this_man_half_baked.gif

I know the Wii U doesn't do cloud saves but what are the odds that the next console will? Cloud integration and cross-buy have made me love my little VITA so much :)

I know the Wii U doesn't do cloud saves but what are the odds that the next console will? Cloud integration and cross-buy have made me love my little VITA so much :)

I'd say it's a decent chance, at least as a backup.

So when everybody here went and bought the Mario Kart 8 DLC, did you guys notice that there was a new built-in DLC purchase screen?

It's much nicer than the old way they handled the in-game purchase of DLC. Much faster, no need to exit the game and it even downloads and installs the DLC for you to use right away without even needing to exit the game itself! :)

None.

This is Nintendo that we are talking about. :p

I've sort of been avoiding the MK8 DLC info a little bit, has Nintendo officially revealed it now or is it still just a leak at this point?

I've sort of been avoiding the MK8 DLC info a little bit, has Nintendo officially revealed it now or is it still just a leak at this point?

Now been officially revealed.

When playing VC games on the Wii U (or the Wii-emulator - or whatever it's called - for that matter) can you make them full screen?