N-Europe

Football Season 2013/2014

Ramar

You reckon Defoe's time at Spurs is up then? I think they need to look at doing something different up front. It's by far the weakest aspect of the team. Goalkeeper is great, defence is good and the midfield looks good, too. It's just about getting the goals now.

Still, it looks like Liverpool are strengthening well and Chelsea look like they mean business. City have bought two good players in Fernandinho and Navas. The Top Four is going to be really tight next season. I'm nervous about how we're going to do.

Only in the sense that I can't see us spending another 20-25m right now without shifting a couple of players. I'd like to keep him, good impact sub, and flog Ade, but the latter is only likely to go to some mad overseas team who would pay his hefty wages.

Next season is going to be immense in any case!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we need 4 players in and can sell 5 players, maybe more, but money is always the issue. We'll try for Benteke but no way will we buy him for 25m, so that could be another last minute disaster on our part.

I'd sell Ade (Besiktas if they get their euro ban lifted today), Livermore, Huddlestone (though I love him his time is up), parker (QPR likely) and Gomes. Maybe even Dempsey. But let's just say those 5, make about 18m.

Buy: Paulinho (17m), Benteke (20m), a winger (rumoured to be Chadlii 7m), another midfielder and a young striekr as a third option. Maybe 65m

That's near a 40million difference. We haven't spent much in the past 5 years so hopefully have some added to it. But if we DID have that we'd have this

----------------Lloris

Walker--Kaboul--Vertonghen--Ekotto

----------Sandro--Paulinho

--------------Dembele

Lennon----------------------Bale

--------------Benteke

-----------------Friedel

Naughton--Dawson--Caulker--Rose

-------------MID--Holtby

--------------Siggurdsson

Chadli---------------------Dempsey

---------------Defoe

Additional Squad players: Tom Carroll, Andros Townsend, a new young striker.

That's not a massive outlay for way is a pretty incredible squad of players.

Buy: Paulinho (17m), Benteke (20m), a winger (rumoured to be Chadlii 7m), another midfielder and a young striekr as a third option. Maybe 65m

That's near a 40million difference. We haven't spent much in the past 5 years so hopefully have some added to it.

Over the past 5 years your net spend is ~£75m on players bought - players sold (including Paulinho).

I think you're pushing it if you think that Spurs will be spending a further £47m (65-18).

As for Celtic, Hooper is rumoured to be seeing out his contract as he said that he wanted to experience Champions League football again. Realistically, he won't get it anywhere he moves to. My neighbour, Victor Wanyama looks set to move down to join my ex-flatmate in Southampton for a cool £12.5m. Fantastic young player, he'll do well down there before moving to a bigger club in a few years.

Edited by Charlie

Over the past 5 years your net spend is ~£75m on players bought - players sold (including Paulinho).

I think you're pushing it if you think that Spurs will be spending a further £47m (65-18).

I agree completely, just saying IF we did :) I think we'll spend 30m net. Could mean losing a bit of depth and selling Dempsey and maybe Dawson (get a cheaper centre back), maybe not getting another midfielder and using Carroll more etc. but we need a couple of striker and a winger

Tevez's community service order has been changed from 250 hours to a £3000 fine because he moved to Italy in circumstances beyond his control. His legal team successfully argued that he had no say in the matter and the judge agreed.

Pretty shocking how easily he got away with it. A £3000 fine to a 'normal' citizen would be very hard to pay but Tevez won't even think about it.

Only in the sense that I can't see us spending another 20-25m right now without shifting a couple of players. I'd like to keep him, good impact sub, and flog Ade, but the latter is only likely to go to some mad overseas team who would pay his hefty wages.

Next season is going to be immense in any case!

Ade has to go, but I'm not sure how much you'd get for him. A few million, but it won't be a considerable amount going into that transfer kitty. Unless you factor in his wages, which I imagine to be quite high...

Tevez's community service order has been changed from 250 hours to a £3000 fine because he moved to Italy in circumstances beyond his control. His legal team successfully argued that he had no say in the matter and the judge agreed.

Pretty shocking how easily he got away with it. A £3000 fine to a 'normal' citizen would be very hard to pay but Tevez won't even think about it.

I expected this would happen. I wonder if the courts had a case for blocking his move to Juve, because this was something he was obliged to do. I also wonder if it would have been possible to order him to carry out the sentence in Italy instead. Transfer the sanction.

This article is brilliant.

Thurrock relegated for fielding player who failed to pay £16 fine

The Football Association has rejected Thurrock's appeal against a three-point deduction for fielding a player who had not paid a £16 fine, confirming their relegation to Ryman Division North.

Joel Barnett was banned, having played for a team in Yorkshire that folded with unpaid fines, the cost of which was then spread throughout its staff.

Thurrock owner Tommy South told BBC Essex: "I'm absolutely devastated.

"Joel should have told us but he never knew because he was in prison."

He added: "We'll appeal again. It's a disgrace. It all happened 11 months ago and we were not told we were relegated until after the season ended on 7 May.

"We feel we had mitigating circumstances and I feel like I don't want to be involved in football anymore.

"It's a real mess because he got sent off playing elsewhere before he came here and got a three-match ban but nothing was flagged up."

This article is brilliant.

I don't know where to begin with that...

Anybody else watching the Women's football at the moment? I've caught a fair few games and have enjoyed it so far. France smashed Russia, they looked really good.

What astounds me is the lack of diving, play-acting, moaning, swearing, gamesmanship, etc. It's great. It's just football.

"Manchester United have made a bid of £25m to bring Cesc Fabregas back to England, according to Sky sources."

1. That's well below his valuation (& Barca's).

2. I know Man Utd have been trying to sign a proper out-and-out creative midfielder for years but I can't see Cesc joining them. It's either FCB or AFC.

I might throw myself under a train if Cesc signs for Utd.

Dude, I can't see him signing for United (as much as I'd like it). This is purely just PR stuff from United's office.

"Shit we lost Thiago, lets flash some cash and make it look like we didn't want him and wanted Cesc all along...!"

Either that or it's a bid that's gone public that wasn't meant to originally.

I can't see why they wouldn't of bid for him in the first place if they were interested in him. (we were never getting Thiago.... never)

Dude, I can't see him signing for United (as much as I'd like it). This is purely just PR stuff from United's office.

"Shit we lost Thiago, lets flash some cash and make it look like we didn't want him and wanted Cesc all along...!"

Either that or it's a bid that's gone public that wasn't meant to originally.

I can't see why they wouldn't of bid for him in the first place if they were interested in him. (we were never getting Thiago.... never)

We were in a good position to get him. The deciding factor was when Guardiola decided that he "absolutely must have him". Because Bayern are a bit short in that midfield department, obviously, and Thiago is the missing link. :indeed::blank:

Same thing probably happened with what had happened with Lucas Moura last season. We put bids in, but either the club wants more (like what happened last year, from what I remember, our bid for Moura was accepted) or the player is hankering on a deal elsewhere. Guardiola knows him, I believe his brother is also the guy's agent. When you have factors like that, United can't compete.

I was a bit excited when Guardiola decided to leave Barcelona, because it would be interesting to see what he would do himself. A challenge. The Bayern job isn't a challenge. It's a free ride. They've already got Gotze, they've got Alcantara now and they'll be getting Lewandowski next season. They've already got a side that has won the Champions League and looked impressive whilst doing so. Some challenge.

Anyway, Fabregas: Won't be too gutted if he doesn't end up at United. He won't go back to Arsenal either, because that would be almost like admitting defeat on his part.

Man United would be so lucky to have Cesc, he would be a great addition to their team.

Seems like quite a few footballers are staying away from the Premier League this season, which is strange since we usually have quite the attraction for players and can pay their wages.

Man United would be so lucky to have Cesc, he would be a great addition to their team.

Seems like quite a few footballers are staying away from the Premier League this season, which is strange since we usually have quite the attraction for players and can pay their wages.

I wouldn't say they're necessarily "staying away". Just there's certain circumstances that cause them to go elsewhere. For example, Cavani to PSG. They're paying a lot of money and they were determined to have him. It doesn't mean that the French League is better than the English. Monaco are another one who are spending big.

Sorry I wasn't very clear in my alluding to money being the main issue stopping players joining EPL. Hopefully it won't continue!

You could argue that a big reason why a lot of players come to the Premier League in the first place is because of the money. Although, I'd like to think players come because they can win things and they want to impress. There's definitely some quality coming through, even further down in the league. Swansea and Norwich have made superb signings so far.

Basically, I can't wait for next season. :D

You could argue that a big reason why a lot of players come to the Premier League in the first place is because of the money. Although, I'd like to think players come because they can win things and they want to impress. There's definitely some quality coming through, even further down in the league. Swansea and Norwich have made superb signings so far.

Likewise :yay: I kinda feel like anything could happen this season..

Me too. Transfers aside, it will the first time in my life that I don't see Sir Alex on the touchline.

No one lives forever, legends come and go, but I still can't wrap my mind round the fact that Man Utd have no Fegurson.

Back to now. I hope Arsenal can complete some signings, it's all well and good to be linked with plenty of top names but nothing will change until they sign.

I mean seriously, what's going on with Gonzalo?!

Likewise :yay: I kinda feel like anything could happen this season..

Can't believe people aren't talking about transfers! Arsenal are contemplating offloading Gervinho to Lyon. Lyon are "considering" offering 6.1 million quid AND Yoann Gourcuff for him.

So, you get rid of Gervinho, get some money in return AND Gourcuff. Aaahahahahah. Bluddy take it, Arsene. :p

Me too. Transfers aside, it will the first time in my life that I don't see Sir Alex on the touchline.

No one lives forever, legends come and go, but I still can't wrap my mind round the fact that Man Utd have no Fegurson.

Back to now. I hope Arsenal can complete some signings, it's all well and good to be linked with plenty of top names but nothing will change until they sign.

I mean seriously, what's going on with Gonzalo?!

Yeah, Fergie retiring is going to be the big game changer. He was a massive influence for us and now that he has gone it should open things up (even slightly) for the rest. I can appreciate how it will make the league more exciting. All I can say is that I am so utterly grateful to be born in time to see his reign.

Not sure what's going on with Higuain. To me, it looks like it's off. It shouldn't be taking this long, and if Higuain was really that interested in moving, he would have said something already. It could be a late one. Wouldn't be surprised if Spurs pinch him, although they seem to be after Benteke.

Do you think this is perhaps down to the poor showing of English clubs in Europe over the past few seasons?

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!