NEurope
Ike

Mario Kart 8

kaz1wx5b.png

Haha! This got me good. :D

Is that his official Twitter? If so: :o

But a very funny joke indeed :P

I see NintendoWorldReport gave it 7.5. Not surprising really. If you have been listening to their podcast in recent weeks you could see this score coming a mile off. Most of them ( especially James ) weren't that impressed with what they saw of the game over the past few months.

That nintendaan, I enjoy his twitter stuff and he's clearly know his stuff. But his reviews are some of the most poorly written reviews I have ever read... Also, his review is quite positive, he just thinks the gp format is really boring and needs a revamp... For enough. Bbt this isn't the reason I play mario kart

Also, notifications on I miiverse will fix game arrangements... Nintendo are so stupid, such a simple omission... If you were playing a notification came up - fancy a game, it'd be fine.... Nintendo has to do this. Add a new "game invite" tag to miiverse posts or private messages (and allow for group messaging) notifications for game invites!

I'm honestly surprised it can score 10's and 9's in this day and age with such features missing. This is Nintendo's big community driven game and should have been the game with which Nintendo leveled the field in terms of online functionality, no?

Anyway, I'm massively excited for this!

Shame I'll be so behind with it when I get a Wii U :p

But it's more advanced than most competitors too in so e areas too though no?

Also, notifications on I miiverse will fix game arrangements... Nintendo are so stupid, such a simple omission... If you were playing a notification came up - fancy a game, it'd be fine.... Nintendo has to do this. Add a new "game invite" tag to miiverse posts or private messages (and allow for group messaging) notifications for game invites!

I still find it amazing that the option to jump into a friend's online game via the Friend List is so unused.

What a wasted feature...

I know some of these scores have been posted but here's some more and in one post.

IGN – 9 / 10

GameSpot – 8 / 10

Polygon – 9 / 10

Eurogamer – 10 / 10

EDGE – 9 / 10

Nintendo Life – 9 / 10

NintendoWorldReport – 7.5 / 10

CVG – 9 / 10

GamesRadar – 4 / 5

GameTrailers – 8.6 / 10

Game Informer – 9.25 / 10

Joystiq – 4.5 / 5

DigitalSpy – 4 / 5

VideoGamer – 9 / 10

USGamer – 4.5 / 5

Destructoid – 9 / 10

GamesBeat – 85 / 100

Gamereactor – 9 / 10

N-Europe – 9 / 10

NowGamer – 8.5 / 10

The Escapist – 4.5 / 5

Metro GameCentral – 9 / 10

Lazygamer – 8 / 10

Game Revolution - 5 / 5

Cubed3 - 9 / 10

Telegraph - 4.5 / 5

Metro Game Central - 9 / 10

Edited by Wii

But it's more advanced than most competitors too in so e areas too though no?
In which areas do you think? True it's undoubtedly the most refined racer in it's genre.

When you also factor in Battle Mode being bit dodgy... and Challenge Mode has disappeared right?

I still find it amazing that the option to jump into a friend's online game via the Friend List is so unused.

What a wasted feature...

True, but I get the feeling that it might be something that is added in an update down the line... (Or maybe even enabled in the June Wii U System Update...)

In which areas do you think? True it's undoubtedly the most refined racer in it's genre.

When you also factor in Battle Mode being bit dodgy... and Challenge Mode has disappeared right?

You mean that one-off mode in Mario Kart DS?

That's been missing for quite a while now.

I've given up on Battle Mode ever being great again.

But that's what the older games are for.

(Then again, I've always preferred racing to battles, so... *shrugs*)

Battle mode is annoying if it's bad, but it hasn't been great for a long time. Not justifying it though.

But I mean online, whether it's good or not is one thing, but in terms of functionality you mean I presume. I think the customising and the ability to house tournaments and leagues with specific rules and even days and times is pretty good no? And mario kart tv, although cod has done it before, having what I assume is an incredibly user friendly process to create and share video content should be applauded no?

I'm not saying the bad isn't bad. But in also saying there's some great stuff in there too.

I always organise games with friends outside of consoles, even on 360/PS3. It was always "fancy playing Mario Kart/Smash Bros/Halo Wars/CoD etc.?" and from there it's relatively simple.

To each their own, though

When you say relatively simple... it's not more simple than inviting from the actual game you're playing is it. Relative to writing a letter or visiting someone in person to tell them when and what to play, it's simple. Relative to inviting and notifying in game, it's not simple at all. This is such a backwards way of doing online and people need to recognise that.

What would you prefer? To be able to stay in-game and message your friends or to have to come away from the game for 5 minutes while you arrange another set of courses with your friends on social media? What if you don't have a pc in your room? You'll have to arrange everything by phone or text. Yes it's not that difficult but it's taking you out of the game. Think of playing GTA any other online game on another system, you have an easily accessible friends list and you can message and invite your friends. You have party chat ffs. It's one thing to put up with Nintendo's backwards online service but it's another to actually defend it. It is not the right way to go, it's not at all progressive and it's something they seriously need to redress.

I'm not trying to have a go at you but you can't seriously be saying Nintendo's method is better?

You mean that one-off mode in Mario Kart DS?

That's been missing for quite a while now.

Mario Kart Wii had monthly challenges for a while.

Didn't Mario Kart 7 too? I didn't play that.

Battle mode is annoying if it's bad, but it hasn't been great for a long time. Not justifying it though.

But I mean online, whether it's good or not is one thing, but in terms of functionality you mean I presume. I think the customising and the ability to house tournaments and leagues with specific rules and even days and times is pretty good no? And mario kart tv, although cod has done it before, having what I assume is an incredibly user friendly process to create and share video content should be applauded no?

I'm not saying the bad isn't bad. But in also saying there's some great stuff in there too.

Oh absolutely, I think Mario Kart TV is a fantastic addition. Don't shoot me for looking at the PS4, but sharing and creating videos is pretty much standard practice on there now. Of course it's brilliant that Nintendo have been so quick to embrace it in with Mario Kart (DCKTF also had sharing videos too right), and no doubt Smash as well.

True, but I get the feeling that it might be something that is added in an update down the line... (Or maybe even enabled in the June Wii U System Update...)

Seriously doubt that.

Oh absolutely, I think Mario Kart TV is a fantastic addition. Don't shoot me for looking at the PS4, but sharing and creating videos is pretty much standard practice on there now. Of course it's brilliant that Nintendo have been so quick to embrace it in with Mario Kart (DCKTF also had sharing videos too right), and no doubt Smash as well.

Mario kart 7 didn't.

Yeah the ps4 sharing stuff looks great, but isn't the editing software relatively complex (which I personally would love), I just like the idea of really simple videos being made that everyone will use (though wish it had complex options too). Yeah DK had it, NES remix does too.

I vaguely remember that...

I never actually did any of them though. Were they along the lines of the DS ones? (Collect coins on a track, defeat bosses, etc.)

I still wouldn't say it counts, mind. It's not exactly a "mode", is it? It was only temporary.

While this is a great game, it is not a 10, maybe not even a 9. It's definitely an 8, I'd give it an 8.5 from what I've seen. But some things are not right, battle mode it seems, voicechat, detailed options, no real gamepad use. Then look at Sonic Racing Transformed, for all its flaws it trumped MK8 in some respects, e.g. 5 player multiplayer and in 2 player, one used the TV while the other used the gamepad. I much preferred that than this split screen. Or in single player it was a reverse camera. That's just being critical, like I said I'm sure it'll be a blast nonetheless and am still getting it.

While this is a great game, it is not a 10, maybe not even a 9. It's definitely an 8, I'd give it an 8.5 from what I've seen. But some things are not right, battle mode it seems, voicechat, detailed options, no real gamepad use. Then look at Sonic Racing Transformed, for all its flaws it trumped MK8 in some respects, e.g. 5 player multiplayer and in 2 player, one used the TV while the other used the gamepad. I much preferred that than this split screen. Or in single player it was a reverse camera. That's just being critical, like I said I'm sure it'll be a blast nonetheless and am still getting it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this hit the frame rate?

I'd rather have 60 FPS for a racing game. TV's are big enough these days to accomadate vertical 2 player split screen comfortably.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this hit the frame rate?

I'd rather have 60 FPS for a racing game. TV's are big enough these days to accomadate vertical 2 player split screen comfortably.

I've never liked split screen for any game. It cuts your view in half, it can be distracting and for items like say the ghost rob icon in MK as an example it takes away the surprise.

I found 2 player Sonic Racing Transformed much more enjoyable that way.

I didn't notice any frame hit and remember that was a launch Wii U title.

Compare with for example Steam.

-see your friend online → open text chat

-open voice chat

-start game

Doesn't get any more simple and convenient than that. In this day and age, there's just no justification for not having this kind of a basic online functionality there...I mean even Monster Hunter 3U has a messaging system for your contacts. Yes it's a bit clumsy, but at least it is there! #sigh

@Hero\-of\-Time Wait, the headset doesn't automatically work with voice chat?

Yeah the ps4 sharing stuff looks great, but isn't the editing software relatively complex (which I personally would love), I just like the idea of really simple videos being made that everyone will use (though wish it had complex options too). Yeah DK had it, NES remix does too.
Yeah I don't know, I haven't got a PS4 yet, I think it can probably be as easy or as complicated as you want to make it? i.e. just upload your last 15 minute recording, or go through the process of editing it.

Tbh it's Nintendo who benefit from user videos the most, getting all that free social media publicity. To not include it in this generation of console would be mad, so it is really good they seem to have embraced it. If only they were so quick with online on the Gamecube, and still other simple online features missing from Mario Kart! But they're learning! as selective as it may be :p

Mario kart 7 didn't.
I vaguely remember that...

I never actually did any of them though. Were they along the lines of the DS ones? (Collect coins on a track, defeat bosses, etc.)

I still wouldn't say it counts, mind. It's not exactly a "mode", is it? It was only temporary.

Ah ok. To me that's a bit crazy. Whilst not a 'mode' as such no, I see no reason to start taking such features away and not develop them with each installment. Such modes have the potential to become the best part of the experience, as people compete each month on unique one off events... doesn't Rayman Legends do this? or did this? It grows a community.

I personally get excited about such things too, because it almost feels like little snippets of Diddy Kong Racing's story mode, but in Mario Kart. I'd love them to do something like that.

I personally get excited about such things too, because it almost feels like little snippets of Diddy Kong Racing's story mode, but in Mario Kart. I'd love them to do something like that.

Challenge mode was by far the best thing about Mario Kart DS's single player experience. I wasted loads of time on that.

I'm kinda sad that it's probably never getting a comeback.