NEurope
Ike

Mario Kart 8

From the Nintendolife preview:

The IGN review states the same thing.

It's probably something related to the power, i.e. the system can't run two different streams at once with a decent framerate / no lag. I think it's totally understandable, but it also shows how redundant the gamepad really is...

Because one game doesn't use it, it show's it is redundant? Ok.

So I was wrong...

54yf6p.jpg

Because one game doesn't use it, it show's it is redundant? Ok.

Because one of the biggest games made for the console, by the console-maker, nearly two years into its life doesn't use it effectively suggests there is little reason for other developers to bother.

@Serebii Ok maybe that was a bit harsh. I meant that Nintendo themselves are advertising the tablet as a cool addition to multiplayer, yet still you see that it can't really do much with these kinds of more demanding games. With these kinds of limits, which are totally understandable, it begs the question that do we even need it?

Btw, watching the IGN video review and patching up the information, it seems that:

-you can't invite friends to a game (but you can join your friends via the friend list?)

-there's no message notification (but you can still send messages?)

Seems pretty weird...

@Serebii Ok maybe that was a bit harsh. I meant that Nintendo themselves are advertising the tablet as a cool addition to multiplayer, yet still you see that it can't really do much with these kinds of more demanding games. With these kinds of limits, which are totally understandable, it begs the question that do we even need it?

Btw, watching the IGN video review and patching up the information, it seems that:

-you can't invite friends to a game (but you can join your friends via the friend list?)

-there's no message notification (but you can still send messages?)

Seems pretty weird...

Message notification is the same as normal messaging. The light around the home button glows.

Message notification is the same as normal messaging. The light around the home button glows.

But wouldn't it be much more convenient to have a pop-up / notification in-game? A light glow is awfully vague...

But wouldn't it be much more convenient to have a pop-up / notification in-game? A light glow is awfully vague...

Convenient? Perhaps. Intrusive, though, don't you think?

Yeah, it's such a stupid idea. I mean if you're playing on the TV screen you aren't even looking at the pad to see the blue light. Then you don't even know if it's a message or if someone has just signed in. The whole thing is just idiotic.

If they do it, it should be system wide and not a criticism of Mario Kart 8. It's a system-wide feature and works as it does system-wide, so why hold it against Mario Kart 8? That's like complaining about the Xbox Live Gold paywall in a Halo review, or the PSN paywall in a Killzone review.

Well you could do it like in Monster Hunter where private messages are only delivered to you after you've finished the hunt. Maybe just have a small letter icon in the main menu or something, it doesn't have to be that intrusive...

Not if designed well no, absolutely not. Notifications are part of the contemporary internet landscape so it's hardly going to throw or confuse anyone if designed well. And of course, have the option to mute them.

If they do it, it should be system wide and not a criticism of Mario Kart 8. It's a system-wide feature and works as it does system-wide, so why hold it against Mario Kart 8? That's like complaining about the Xbox Live Gold paywall in a Halo review, or the PSN paywall in a Killzone review.

Well perhaps it's just being discussed more because this is one of the few big online titles for the console...

At what point did I mention Mario Kart? It was a general comment that was relevant to the topic at hand.

Well you could do it like in Monster Hunter where private messages are only delivered to you after you've finished the hunt. Maybe just have a small letter icon in the main menu or something, it doesn't have to be that intrusive...

Exactly. It's a tiny little letter on the screen. Something like that would have worked. At this point I'm not sure whether Nintendo care or are just ignorant when it comes to online communication. Maybe both.

At what point did I mention Mario Kart? It was a general comment that was relevant to the topic at hand.

Wasn't referring to you. Was more referring to IGN's statement of it within their review

:blank:

Is evolving

into:

ernie.gif

Is evolving in:

tumblr_m2l2aeMJpX1qhkgk5.gif

Maybe NINTENDO agreed to not use the Gamepad in any reasonable way untill after E3 2014 where they will showcase a handful of microgames that show the value of the GamePad.

:laughing:

I guess it might have something to do with power, but this is just plain weird though.

Yeah, it's such a stupid idea. I mean if you're playing on the TV screen you aren't even looking at the pad to see the blue light. Then you don't even know if it's a message or if someone has just signed in. The whole thing is just idiotic.
The most ridiculous thing is that if you press the home button after it lights up, it will then show that information on the GamePad screen, e.g. "whatshisface has just come online". :indeed: So the notifications are always there, just completely hidden away. ::shrug:

There should definitely be an option to have them display on the TV screen.

I reckon that if enough people kicked up a fuss on Miiverse (like the 50/60Hz VC games fiasco) Nintendo would fix it in a system update. But there's unlikely to be that amount of protest over this, in which case they will remain oblivious.

So it's be confirmed you pretty much have no control over the Mari kart videos... It seemed you could control when it goes to slow motion, but no, I thought if you set the parameters of characters you could maybe scroll through them with the stick, limited but simple and easy control. But no.... All auto... So that's a feature I'll probably use much less...

The gamepad in multiplayer issue is even more frustrating when you consider that other games like Donkey Kong and SM3DW didn't do it either. The former would have benefited hugely in multiplayer if one player could use the screen exclusively as the camera is so zoomed in. Why build a console around a feature and not use it?

Can I just remind people that the initial concept for the Wii U GamePad was Off-TV play and this game, and those, use that feature.

The concept was also non symmetrical gameplay, but that we haven't seen alot so far.....

That being said the gamepad should have been used for some sort of HUB where you can join friends etc. It's such a waste to just duplicate the tv screen when you aren't using off tv play.

It's not a major issue for me, I use mario kart for local multiplayer mostly, but I can see why people worry about it.

Can I just remind people that the initial concept for the Wii U GamePad was Off-TV play and this game, and those, use that feature.

The King of Spin.

Anyway, this is all very confusing. Nintendo are infuriating in so many ways. Why can't we have more options? We should be able to decide if one player can use the GamePad screen in multiplayer or whether it's all split screen on the television. We should be able to receive on-screen notifications, or at least have the option to either display them on the tv or the GamePad screen.

What DOES the screen add to Mario Kart exactly? Off-TV play if somebody is already using the tv, but...who in their right mind would want to play such a beautiful game on that GamePad screen out of choice?

No offense mate but that is bull.

The main message at the start of this is getting people together to play and to deliver unique experiences with the two screens on offer.

Actually it was so that the player with the pad could have a differemt experience than those playing on the TV. So basically, it's what this game needs. King of Spin, indeed.

No offense mate but that is bull.

The main message at the start of this is getting people together to play and to deliver unique experiences with the two screens on offer.

That's the reveal and reveal of various concepts, not the initial concept...

That's the reveal and reveal of various concepts, not the initial concept...

Give over. Regardless if it was the concept or the reveal the fact is off TV play wasn't the main focus of the console at all of these pressers, it was the two screens bringing unique experiences. If off TV play was the big thing then that would have been front and centre of all of these events.

Yeah, I think they just made a mistake with the second screen. Maybe they overestimated its potential, although we've yet to see what they will come up with at E3. I'm a bit sceptical of what they can really offer, but we'll see...

Still, niggle here niggle there, the game itself looks pretty good and these kinds of small things are not gonna affect it so much. I mean there's split screen multiplayer and the 2-player multiplayer even runs at 60fps, plus you can take it online. The messaging quirks you can go around via various means, so they're more annoying than really harmful. Still looking forward to this game, but of course it's also an indicator of where Nintendo is going at the moment. They do need to get these small things sorted out as well...