NEurope
Ike

Mario Kart 8

All it shows is that your friend is joinable, doesn't matter if it's friends or on worldwide races. It can be for both if it works like MKWii and MK7 did, and I see no reason why it wouldn't here.

What IGN meant is that you can't invite someone into your group if you've set one up, you have to wait for them to join themselves.

I also forgot about the Xbox Live doing that since it seldom worked (pain in the arse). Apologies. I rescind that statement.

So, if say, lostmario is playing WW, I should be able to click on his name and join him? If so then everything is peachy, if not it's a bit of a pain the backside.

So, if say, lostmario is playing WW, I should be able to click on his name and join him? If so then everything is peachy, if not it's a bit of a pain the backside.

I believe so, yes.

As said, that's how Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 7 did it, and I see no reason that you can't here, and no word that you can't here.

I believe so, yes.

As said, that's how Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 7 did it, and I see no reason that you can't here, and no word that you can't here.

Yeah, your probably right. It's just IGN threw me a little by that remark and i've found you can't take anything for granted when it comes to Nintendo and their online options. It's also why I would like to see some form of confirmation that a headset will work.

But ign don't say you can't join friends games. It just says you can't invite them. But yeah, you can see who's online, and jump into their game, simple.

So what's that messaging option in the picture then? Is it in-game messaging or something you do via Miiverse?

But ign don't say you can't join friends games. It just says you can't invite them. But yeah, you can see who's online, and jump into their game, simple.

I'll settle for that then. It's the next best thing after joining a game through the Friend List.

Why is time moving sooooooo slooooooowly? :heh:

Nintendo kind of went against their new "late reveal/imminent launch" technique with MK8... I really wish they hadn't. :blank:

Why is time moving sooooooo slooooooowly? :heh:

Nintendo kind of went against their new "late reveal/imminent launch" technique with MK8... I really wish they hadn't. :blank:

Still within a year from reveal to launch, though!

Still within a year from reveal to launch, though!
Yeah. I mean it wouldn't be as bad if they hadn't ended the review embargo so early, opened the Miiverse community, enabled MKTV vids on YouTube etc...

Sure, they know they're on to a winner and want to promote MK8 as much as possible, but for those of us that don't require reviews/advertising to know we want (or in my case, NEED :heh:) the game, it's basically a form of torture. :shakehead

Btw, the reviews are saying that even if you play local multiplayer, you have a split screen on both the tv and the tablet. I wonder why, I mean doesn't that kind of defeat the whole idea of having a tablet controller?

So you cannot use the Upad as a second screen when playing local multiplayer....?

...:blank:

Well that's what I gathered (IGN review again), but I'd certainly like to see a confirmation of this from someone / video source for example.

@Ashley & @Daft, did you try the local multiplayer?

So you cannot use the Upad as a second screen when playing local multiplayer....?

...:blank:

I believe you can, but it simply duplicates whatever is on the TV screen at all times, so it'll be split screen on the GamePad as well.

I believe you can, but it simply duplicates whatever is on the TV screen at all times, so it'll be split screen on the GamePad as well.

:blank:

Is evolving

into:

ernie.gif

Yeah. I mean it wouldn't be as bad if they hadn't ended the review embargo so early, opened the Miiverse community, enabled MKTV vids on YouTube etc...

Sure, they know they're on to a winner and want to promote MK8 as much as possible, but for those of us that don't require reviews/advertising to know we want (or in my case, NEED :heh:) the game, it's basically a form of torture. :shakehead

Yeah, I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of how much stuff is out there now about the game. There's advertising and hyping the game and then there's this. Clearly the game could have been released mid May, if not sooner.

:blank:

Is evolving

into:

ernie.gif

Say what now? :laughing:

Yeah, I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of how much stuff is out there now about the game. There's advertising and hyping the game and then there's this. Clearly the game could have been released mid May, if not sooner.
It certainly seems that way.

They should at least make the eShop version available. ::shrug:

Well that's what I gathered (IGN review again), but I'd certainly like to see a confirmation of this from someone / video source for example.

@Ashley & @Daft, did you try the local multiplayer?

You can't shunt one player onto the GamePad screen, no. Thus even if you're doing off-TV play in multiplayer, the TV screen is still split.

Seriously, the GamePad does more harm than good in this game.

Btw, the reviews are saying that even if you play local multiplayer, you have a split screen on both the tv and the tablet. I wonder why, I mean doesn't that kind of defeat the whole idea of having a tablet controller?

Hmm, that's interesting. Supports the idea of Nintendo preparing their games to work on a GamePad-less system, in my opinion.

I've been out in the sun all morning up until now, so I've gone full retard. Can I just confirm something?

Two players are playing Mario Kart 8. Player 1 uses the GamePad, Player 2 uses the pro controller. So, you're saying that BOTH the tv screen and GamePad screen are showing splitscreen of the same thing...even though there's two screens? You can't have player 1 using the GamePad screen and player 2 using the telly screen?

Gah. I thought this was the whole point of the GamePad? Or, at least, part of it.

Without bothering to check it out, 99% sure only the TV is split.

I'd rather have a map on the gamepad than a pointless split screen. Seems like a glaring omission on Nintendo's part if this is true. There's absolutely no need for the gamepad to have split screen as only one person will ever be using it. Very strange decision imo. It isn't a huge issue as we've always had to do split screen multiplayer but it does seem like a waste of the gamepad's potential. Just a shame really.

Oh good :)

Ok, so TV screen is split and the GamePad shows a map or something? (so you can't have the game running on the GamePad screen in multiplayer) I remember hearing you say that the map doesn't display on the telly, only the pad.

You can't shunt one player onto the GamePad screen, no. Thus even if you're doing off-TV play in multiplayer, the TV screen is still split.

Seriously, the GamePad does more harm than good in this game.

But doesn't that mean you can have one player on the GamePad screen? :hmm:

From the Nintendolife preview:

You may have noticed that we've only mentioned four player, which provides us with a neat diversion towards the only major issue we've had with Mario Kart 8 so far. The GamePad. While it supports off-TV play, it does not enable you to play with five players, nor does it allow the GamePad player to use the full screen on the controller while others use the TV in a local race, thus potentially adding an extra player in the process. In multiplayer, in fact, the GamePad screen's only off-TV option is to mirror the TV, including the splitscreen when applicable. While useful for playing a bit of single player when the TV's in use, the mirrored image is worthless in multiplayer. Considering the lower framerate and graphical drop we've referenced above, perhaps technical issues have caused a problem. That doesn't make it any less disappointing, however, and when we asked Nintendo about this we were told that the GamePad options in the preview build were representative of the final product.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/04/preview_mario_kart_8

The IGN review states the same thing.

There’s a few other small disappointments in Mario Kart 8 as well. The GamePad always mirrors what’s on the television instead of splitting players into two separately rendered screens.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/15/mario-kart-8-review

It's probably something related to the power, i.e. the system can't run two different streams at once with a decent framerate / no lag. I think it's totally understandable, but it also shows how redundant the gamepad really is...