NEurope
Retro_Link

Shadow of the Eternals ('Eternal Darkness 2' - Kickstarter)

The Church area? Isn't that the exact same church from that same time period level in Eternal Darkness? Been so long since I played it but watching the video the whole layout from the seats, the alter, the stairs. Even the dialogue with the monk seems way to familiar. There's even a door halfway down the left the exact same as in Eternal Darkness.... they just reused the same location and gave it a new HD shine!

Wouldn't Nintendo have a copyright on that as it is pretty much a copy and paste of assets from ED?

I would imagine that it's on legal shaky ground when it comes to those assets... The "game" that they've shown is just the same as that cancelled ED2 prototype (the one I hinted at back then...) that they were pitching to Nintendo back in early 2012, with the assets being directly lifted from that same demo (which was made with stolen Activision money and may possibly fall under some sort of claim by Nintendo).

That demo they've shown is also probably all they have to show from the game. They probably spent the last year just dealing with the fallout of the Epic lawsuit and possibly porting the game from the UE3 derived SK engine to Cryengine 3. They really think that they can get the game out by the end of 2014 with just 9 staff members (1 lone programmer, 2 art guys, a sound director and the rest being corporate guys/forum moderators and Dyack himself), when they have so little to show after all this time!? LOL! :laughing:

Edited by Dcubed

If they were bringing the game to the Wii U, maybe his relationship with Nintendo would stretch as far as assest usage - if Nintendo own the rights on them. Not sure that works if he's offering platforms other than PC/Wii U if goals are met.

I hear Nintendo own the name and the Sanity Effect mechanism. Without Nintendo's involvement it would probably never hold one of those torches in the footage to the original anyway.

I'd personally feel slightly gutted if it was made and did go console multiplat. No physical copy either? That's shite too.

Edited by madeinbeats

To be fair it looks good but there wasn't much to get excited about. Just abit of walking around a familiar church interior.

Wow...they won't even risk using Kickstarter. That's another big sign there.

But they did get a rookie designer to copy the layout at least.

From a gaf user named Shiggy, had these to post and abit of info.

cach1610_screenshot01nnd6e.jpg cach1610_screenshot021rf0b.jpg cach1610_screenshot11oqepx.jpg cach1610_screenshot12guipy.jpg cach1610_screenshot13k8fzx.jpg cach1610_screenshot14quio6.jpg cach1610_screenshot15ggfbd.jpg cach1610_screenshot1604dzw.jpg cach1610_screenshot1747d84.jpg cach1610_screenshot188iijs.jpg cach1610_screenshot19veipr.jpg cach1610_screenshot20tzfp5.jpg cach1610_screenshot03kci23.jpg cach1610_screenshot045nitb.jpg cach1610_screenshot05qbcfl.jpg cach1610_screenshot0651iie.jpg cach1610_screenshot07nadhx.jpg cach1610_screenshot0864faw.jpg cach1610_screenshot09jtfx0.jpg cach1610_screenshot101idt4.jpg cach1610_screenshot213vubb.jpg cach1610_screenshot2297u8b.jpg cach1610_screenshot318cu0n.jpg cach1610_screenshot32e8u8l.jpg cach1610_screenshot335ouul.jpg cach1610_screenshot3440uca.jpg cach1610_screenshot35p6uel.jpg cach1610_screenshot36y8uri.jpg cach1610_screenshot37qzukm.jpg cach1610_screenshot38icull.jpg cach1610_screenshot39axufj.jpg cach1610_screenshot40wuuo4.jpg cach1610_screenshot2332u7f.jpg cach1610_screenshot24v2udn.jpg cach1610_screenshot257bufz.jpg cach1610_screenshot26jxu5t.jpg cach1610_screenshot2712uk8.jpg cach1610_screenshot28rguh3.jpg cach1610_screenshot29s3uta.jpg cach1610_screenshot308xun8.jpg

Please also note the following:

- The first episode is this expensive as fees for the CryEngine are covered.

- The studio is significantly smaller than Silicon Knights and currently not involved into any lawsuits - the focus lies on creating this title

- The footage seen today uses assets from the original ED2 pitch, which was based on the Silicon Knights engine (which used lines of UE3) and which wasn't particularly impressive. In the past few months, this demo was created in the CryEngine.

As a Nintendo fan, I might've donated if they'd state clear and simple that this'll be out for the Wii U, preferably Wii U exclusive.

While I liked the original, the magic system was a chore, the RE-style controls and camera angles were out of date and the boss at the end of the WWI stage was seemilngly impossible.

Can someone explain the hatred towards Dyack? Aside from some rumoured dodgy funding practices (a reason why i would not invest), hasn't he just done what's expected of him - stand up for his team?

I would rather he beg and plead with Nintendo to deliver a true sequel to Eternal Darkness.

Remember that KickStarter is not a guarantee of a final product!

My feelings exactly - and why I'm not keen to back KickStarter video game projects. As much as I loved ED2, I won't take a chance on KickStarter suceeding to get this made. I'm heavily influenced by naivity and this Kotaku article though;

Star command is a great game but also a KickStarter warning

I just want to punch them and say "They're not Guardians, they're Ancients"

Maybe if they change the title I'll consider it.

After watching the trailer, the game as it currently stand, screams “is eternal darkness 2, but not actually”. I wish they distanciated themselves a bit from Eternal Darkness more. I’d prefer an Eternal Darkness sequel, or an original game, not a game that just makes me want a Eternal darkness sequel even more.

That church is a carbon copy of the one from ED 1.

To be fair the chuch was a carbon copy several times in the original game. There were reasons to having the same levels used. Laziness aside.

New gameplay trailer vid showing the 9min demo only with no commentary/talking.

Precursor Games has uploaded the 9 minute gameplay footage we’ve seen before, however, this time it’s just pure gameplay. Shadow of the Eternals is using CryEngine 3 and shows off some amazing visuals on the Wii U/PC.

Precursor Games has decided to take the crowd-funding route to secure this game’s release. If you want to support the game, do so here. Shadow of Eternals needs $1,500,000 to be made. As of now, they amassed $138,663.

Also:

Q: Is there any chance that while in talks with Nintendo you can bring up a possible re release of the GameCube’s Eternal Darkness as a Virtual Console release? It would allow hype to build on the game and allow people who had not played before to get into the series!

A: We will definitely discuss that. Thanks for the suggestion!

Edited by madeinbeats

I'd just not trust Dyack with any money raised at all. It'll fall short if their target and not get made but they'll have a nice pay check for doing nothing.

I like how the gameplay was just slowly walking around for a few seconds between cutscenes.

At least the graphics weren't half bad.

I'd just not trust Dyack with any money raised at all. It'll fall short if their target and not get made but they'll have a nice pay check for doing nothing.

Well, if it's a kickstarter you'll get your money back if they don't reach their target. At least that's how I've understood it.

On Kickstarter you don't pay anything until after the project has reached its funding deadline. But this isn't a Kickstarter and they keep your money whether the project is funded or not.

Graphics aren't great though are they.

Well, you have to keep in mind that it has to be able to run on the Wii U. ;)

Graphics aren't great though are they. The 'gameplay' is very boring.

Did you play the original?

You can't really judge the gameplay based on that. Although, the original wasn't very fast paced, it was more deliberate and slow.

There's no way I'd put any of my own money down to fund it, but really... if Nintendo wanted to make this a reality they would be funding it themselves surely?

If it's meant to be then Nintendo will make a deal with them, it's as simple as that surely?

Surely if Nintendo wanted anything to do with this they'd just give the licence to call it "Eternal Darkness 2" (and part fund it) and not have to mess around with this "spiritual successor" crap.

Them going the Crowdfinding route and calling it a "spiritual successor" (while using assets from thei failed ED2 pitch a few years back.... and copypasting a level from ED1) says Nintendo want little to do with it (I'm assuming any sensible move before deciding to go crowdfunding would have been to pitch the game as ED2 to Nintendo first to see if they would give them the license)

That and I'm holding out hope that we'll get an E3 surprise and it be revealed Retro are working on a proper ED2... would love that on so many levels, not least of all it would be Nintendo giving Dyack a great big middle finger :D

*crosses fingers and hopes against hope*

Well, if it's a kickstarter you'll get your money back if they don't reach their target. At least that's how I've understood it.

With Kickstarter they don't take the money until the 30 days are over and it gets funded.

However, this one is donations via PayPal. They don't have to reach their target and I think money is taken from your account straight away.

They've guaranteed refunds if they don't reach their goal though

What they say and the terms and conditions are all over the place.

They've guaranteed refunds if they don't reach their goal though

Given what I read in that article about them and activision, who they actually had a solid contract with, I'd put very little behind such a 'guarantee', especially as Cube mentions above - the t&c's say something quite different(think someone quoted it earlier too)