NEurope
Retro_Link

Shadow of the Eternals ('Eternal Darkness 2' - Kickstarter)

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/05/03/shadow-of-the-eternals-teaser-trailer

The first teaser behind what is essentially Eternal Darkness 2, a crowd-funded spiritual successor named Shadow of the Ancients from the original creators.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-03-eternal-darkness-spiritual-successor-announced

A "spiritual successor" to Silicon Knights' Gamecube horror cult-classic Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem has been announced.

Entitled Shadow of the Eternals, little is known about the project, but IGN confirmed that series creator Denis Dyack is involved then posted a teaser trailer for the project.

More will be known on Monday when mysterious new Canadian studio Precursor Games launches its crowdfunding campaign to get the game off the ground.

Rumours are saying the project is for Wii U and PC.

Edited by Retro_Link

Yup, I know he created Eternal Darkness but after Too Human, trying to blame Epic (and suing them) for it, pretty much stealing money from the Canadian government (they took grant money to hire staff but didn't hire staff) and also stealing money from Activision (working on their own projects with money from the X-Men game - like how Gearbox worked on Borderland's with the money they got from SEGA) having his name attached to this project is not a good idea.

Holy mother of everything amazing.

Cannot wait. Eternal Darkness is one of my all time favourite games. It's titles like this that the Wii U needs along with the first party Nintendo goodness we're gonna see.

I'm sure giving money to Dyack will end well.
Maybe he's just one big Sanity Effect :p

Yeah, I don’t like how he does business, but Eternal Darkness was one of my favourite games on the GameCube. I’ll look forward to that kickstarter then, it may be the 2nd kickstarter project I’ll back. That said, I’d prefer an actual sequel. I think.

If Dyack has taken his ideas for Eternal Darkness 2 to this game, I guess it means Nintendo did shutter the project.

I don't care if ED is one of my favourite games, I'm not giving any of my money to that cunt bag.

It screams of them just trying to cash in on people fondness for the original game. Only eight people work for the dev and they put together that trailer? They also want 1.1 million just for the first of 12 chapters. It wouldn't surprise me if they were just taking what Nintendo said no to in the first place and adapting it.

Pretty ballsy move from Dyack there. Taking their cancelled ED2 prototype, made with Activision's Xmen money, pitching it as an actual (not even implied!) sequel to the original ED, while also looking for crowd funding (even after we all found out how they mishandled Xmen Destiny) and blatently defying Nintendo's famous patent over the sanity effect system (that's sure to end well...)

All that and they're asking for 1.5 million JUST for the first episode? That's a hell of an uphill battle that he's got there!

I don't even think I want it, especially not without Nintendo's guiding hand in place. The Dyack/SK of 2001-2 is not the Dyack/Precursor Games of 2013...

If Dyack has taken his ideas for Eternal Darkness 2 to this game, I guess it means Nintendo did shutter the project.

Not just that, but this trailer literally just reuses assets from the cancelled prototype that SK created.

This whole thing feels scummy and fishy. It's a blatent cash-in and even if they had the cash and personnel to make the game (with Dyack relegated to being a writer and no more), it would still lack Nintendo's influence. They were the ones who came up with the original game's combat and targetting system, Magick creation system and rock-paper-scissors 3 way magical rune system. That's a lot of core game mechanics that came from the Nintendo side, rather than SK and those were much better times for SK too!

Frankly I wouldn't trust SK with the game at all, let alone "the ashes of Silicon Knights" (and especially not with Dyack at the helm). He's this industry's George Lucas.

Edited by Dcubed

It's been confirmed that it's targeting Wii U but I urge you to not give money to Dyack for it.

Developing for the PC is relatively easy compared to consoles and I can't see them using the Unity engine to make it any easier. I honestly think that if it did actually get made (unlikely for the reasons mentioned by others) it wouldn't come to the Wii U. They're just saying it because they know that's where most of the Eternal Darkness fans will be.

Remember that KickStarter is not a guarantee of a final product!

Would not trust that asshole with my money no matter much I would love a new Eternal Darkness game.

Out of interest who actually owns the rights to Eternal Darkness? Is it Nintendo? I see this project being called a "spiritual successor" so can it not be called "Eternal Darkness 2" due to copyright reasons?

In an ideal world (assuming I'm right in thinking Nintendo own the IP...sure someone will correct me quickly if I misunderstood) then Retro Studios big secret Wii U project will actually be ED2 :heh:

Even if Nintendo don't own the rights to ED I'd be more likely to put money on a bet that Retro will produce a real and actually released final game to be touted as a "spiritual successor" to ED than giving money to Dyack for a kickstarter project which likely he'll just use to pay his own personal house bills or something.

Out of interest who actually owns the rights to Eternal Darkness? Is it Nintendo? I see this project being called a "spiritual successor" so can it not be called "Eternal Darkness 2" due to copyright reasons?

That's exactly it. Nintendo outright own the ED IP and everything associated with it.

That's exactly it. Nintendo outright own the ED IP and everything associated with it.

Ah ok then... be awesome if I was right and at E3 they reveal Retros game to be ED2 :D Now there's a company I would trust to do the job right :wink:

Just looked at the trailer on IGN for this thing though (the YT one in the OP is set to private now) and it seems to be using a lot of stuff that seems very similar to ED, even starting "Darkness will Return"... not so subtly hinting at its connection to ED... wonder if Nintendo might try sue/shut it down :heh:

Also reading through the comments on the IGN article I'm surprised that all the comments seem very positive with nobody mentioning Dyacks past mishandling of monies given to him for funding... wonder if IGN are censoring the comments?

Ah ok then... be awesome if I was right and at E3 they reveal Retros game to be ED2 :D Now there's a company I would trust to do the job right :wink:

If this happened then this E3 would be awesome just on that alone :grin:.

Would be amazing to see Retro's take on ED, but as great as they are, they're not the original team of writers and the writing is a big part of what made the original ED so good... (Let's at least give the Dyack/SK of 2002 a bit of credit here)

TBH, I'd still rather see Retro work on something original if they don't have ED's team of writers to hand.

Just looked at the trailer on IGN for this thing though (the YT one in the OP is set to private now) and it seems to be using a lot of stuff that seems very similar to ED, even starting "Darkness will Return"... not so subtly hinting at its connection to ED... wonder if Nintendo might try sue/shut it down :heh:

The whole thing just smacks of Tear Ring Saga, only that it's even worse since that they're actually using assets from a cancelled ED2 prototype. While the former got away with being Fire Emblem in all but name (after Enterbrain payed a 76 million yen settlement to Nintendo), I'm not so sure if Dyack will be so lucky (never mind the assets, but there's also the not so small matter of Nintendo having a patent on the game's defining gameplay concept...)

Also reading through the comments on the IGN article I'm surprised that all the comments seem very positive with nobody mentioning Dyacks past mishandling of monies given to him for funding... wonder if IGN are censoring the comments?

With it being an "exclusive scoop" from IGN of all places, I wouldn't be surprised :rolleyes:

If this happened then this E3 would be awesome just on that alone :grin:.

I'd just love to see it happen so see how Dyack responds after Nintendo pull the rug out from under him... nobody would fund his "spiritual successor" project anymore that is for sure if a real sequel was coming, espeically one that didn't require crowdfunding.

And if there is one person in the industry I would love to see screwed over like that it would be Dyack (followed by the Gearbox heads who wasted Sega's money and ruined Aliens) :)

Would be amazing to see Retro's take on ED, but as great as they are, they're not the original team of writers and the writing is a big part of what made the original ED so good... (Let's at least give the Dyack/SK of 2002 a bit of credit here)

TBH, I'd still rather see Retro work on something original if they don't have ED's team of writers to hand.

[off topic]

I think Retro did a great job on handling the story elements of the Metriod games the did especially teh first Prime. Granted it was told in a very non-traditional way but still it was very awesome.

I'd feel confident enough they could do a good job on an ED2 game... hell if they are working on it they have been for a few years (I'll now be very disappointed if they aren't revealed to be doing ED2 at E3, haha)

[/off topic]

Edited by Mokong
Automerged Doublepost

So,.... can someone fill me in?

What did Dyak do exactly that gets everyone's knickers in a twist?

Cube summed it up in his post above, basically Dyack has in the past been given funding for specific purposes but didn't use that funding for the intended purposes he was given it for. Hence why I wouldn't be confident in providing him with funding out of my own pocket for a kickstarter.

Yup, I know he created Eternal Darkness but after Too Human, trying to blame Epic (and suing them) for it, pretty much stealing money from the Canadian government (they took grant money to hire staff but didn't hire staff) and also stealing money from Activision (working on their own projects with money from the X-Men game - like how Gearbox worked on Borderland's with the money they got from SEGA) having his name attached to this project is not a good idea.

Or do you want more detail?

As much as I'd hate to give Kotaku clicks, it's a genuinely fantastic article and a real eye opener...

http://kotaku.com/5955223/what-went-wrong-with-silicon-knights-x+men-destiny

Basically he stole Activision's money and pulled the wool over theirs and SEGA's eyes, much like how Randy Pitchfork/Gearbox screwed over SEGA with Aliens Colonial Marines (yeah, SEGA's been getting ridden doggy style from their partners in recent years :laughing:)

My heart rate was rising when I saw the title to this thread.

My soul sank when I saw that Dyack had some sort of involvement.

I would throw all of your bodies into the sun for this game. :p

The fundraiser site is up now, with a 9 minute long "gameplay" (AKA engine) demo...

I admit, it looks like it has some promise but...

http://www.precursorgames.com/shadowoftheeternals/campaign/terms-of-use/

Payments made to Precursor Games, Inc. to back this project are strictly donations and are not consideration for any service or product. Donations will be used by Precursor Games, Inc. for various aspects of the development and production of Shadow of the Eternals (the “Game”) at their sole discretion. Precursor Games will accept donations immediately upon receipt; there is no minimum aggregate goal for funding. A donation cannot be cancelled or returned once it has been completed, whether or not Precursor Games completes the Game or fulfils the specified reward.

3. No Obligation. Precursor Games will use its commercially reasonable efforts to develop and produce the Game, and will apply all donations to the development and production of the Game and the other rewards. However, circumstances outside of Precursor Games’ control may make it impossible for Precursor Games to complete production of the Game or other rewards. Precursor Games is under no obligation to complete the Game, or in the event complete the Game, or in the event completion is impossible, return any of the donations it has received.

err...

i8gd943aPrwST.jpg

...yeah...

Wow...they won't even risk using Kickstarter. That's another big sign there.

I hope the $23,500 donated so far is just the developers attempting to make it look more legitimate. Sadness has a better chance of getting made.

Wow...they won't even risk using Kickstarter. That's another big sign there.

I hope the $23,500 donated so far is just the developers attempting to make it look more legitimate. Sadness has a better chance of getting made.

I would feel safer giving money to teh Sadness devs than I would Dennis Dyack.

The highlighted bits Dcubed posted say it all...SCAM

EDIT

Just watched the 9mins video demo thing.

The Church area? Isn't that the exact same church from that same time period level in Eternal Darkness? Been so long since I played it but watching the video the whole layout from the seats, the alter, the stairs. Even the dialogue with the monk seems way to familiar. There's even a door halfway down the left the exact same as in Eternal Darkness.... they just reused the same location and gave it a new HD shine!

Wouldn't Nintendo have a copyright on that as it is pretty much a copy and paste of assets from ED?

Edited by Mokong
Automerged Doublepost