N-Europe

Nintendo Ditching This Years E3 Presser

Hero-of-Time

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nintendo should tackle the problem head-on. People think it's not a new console? Make a daft advert where some hapless fool thinks it's just a Wii and is "brought to the truth" through a series of comedy misadventures, advert style. Openly mock themselves about not making it 100% clear what the Wii U was. If anything we'd get some hilarious adverts.

Nintendo should tackle the problem head-on. People think it's not a new console? Make a daft advert where some hapless fool thinks it's just a Wii and is "brought to the truth" through a series of comedy misadventures, advert style. Openly mock themselves about not making it 100% clear what the Wii U was. If anything we'd get some hilarious adverts.

That may actually work, but it'd also insult those people who thought it, causing them to vow never to buy a Nintendo console again

Applauding Nintendo for Stepping Off Center Stage

April 26, 2013 12:07PM PDT

By Tom Mc Shea, Editor

Tom Mc Shea praises Nintendo for calling off its E3 press conference and urges other companies to follow suit.

The Electronic Entertainment Expo is a hedonistic display of excess. Companies filter their beguiling messaging through self-aggrandizing charades, and we're all too happy to go along for the ride. We've grown enamored with this bombastic propaganda, we crave it; so when a company squashes our expectations, we raise our hackles. Nintendo, whose press conferences were the highlight of so many prior E3s, is now going in a new direction. No longer will Reggie Fils-Aime exchange cringe-worthy banter with one of his pliant subordinates, nor will Shigeru Miyamoto exude playful exuberance. The book has been closed on Nintendo's dog-and-pony festivities, and it's one small but important step toward reimagining this tired exposition.

When Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo outline their plans, everyone listens, because these three companies hold considerable sway over the future of the industry. And it's at their once-a-year press conferences where they reveal the bulk of their secrets. New hardware, accessories, games, business models, partnerships, and more are announced to the sequestered masses. But what is it that draws us to these events? Is it the discussion of sales data always delivered through a rose-tinted lens? Or maybe it's the impromptu dance numbers and workout routines? How about stilted teleprompter reading? Press conferences are an awkward tableau whose sole redeeming quality--game announcements--is shrouded behind a veil of painful marketing speak that only serves to puff up the presenter.

Nintendo should be commended for breaking this cycle. Instead of herding media members to a far-away locale, pouring copious amounts of time and money into an elaborate production, they can instead record a much more subdued presentation that cuts straight to the heart of why we so eagerly follow this event. A simple video showing upcoming Wii U games would be more than enough to excite those who bleed every color of the Pikmin rainbow, and we won't have to sit through the endless monologues that so often plague full-blown press conferences. Nintendo has shown they can deliver speedy announcements with the semi-regular Nintendo Direct series, so there's no reason to think they're taking a backseat at E3 just because they're eschewing the press conference format.

The timing of this change is the lone issue that could cause Nintendo grief. Wii U sales are slumping, and not only has Nintendo failed to release the self-published games that were due within the launch window, but it has done a lousy job of courting third-party developers. So the most pessimistic could see Nintendo's retreat as a sign of weakness. It has so little to show, or is so intimidated by its competitors' entries into the next generation, that it's fleeing from the spotlight. When leaders make a decision, after all, it's because they're smart and forward thinking. But Nintendo, who has been playing catch-up since the Wii train derailed years ago, isn't allowed to buck tradition without meeting resistance. It's an unfair accusation, and one that Nintendo will be branded with until it delivers on the promises it has yet to fulfill.

Although Nintendo's stance is a bold one, there is still much more work that has to be done. E3 has grown fat and lazy with all the attention that has been heaped on it. Games, the reason we're so invested in this industry to begin with, should be the most important aspect of this annual event. But the inherent fun of checking out an expansive slate of upcoming experiences has been overshadowed by companies that continually try to dazzle our senses through other methods. Loud music blares through the convention center, scantily clad women patrol booths, and oversized television screens play prerendered trailers on a never-ending loop. Although such problems don't seem like a concern to the average person, they are. The suffocating stimuli hinders one's ability to think, so publishers are hurting their own chance for thoughtful coverage by use a megaphone to blast their message.

The video game industry is built on trends, so often a company currently playing second fiddle is happy to follow the leader. Now that Nintendo has decided to pass on the press conference shenanigans, maybe its competitors will think seriously about the advantages to leaving the pomp and circumstance behind. Sony's reveal of Uncharted 4 would be just as exciting without the gasps from its captive audience, and Microsoft would be able to show off the next iteration of the Kinect in an environment better suited to camera-controlled gaming. The press conferences are already streamed across the globe, so people are already able to share the experience together, and the benefit of a live audience is offset by the massive problems such productions create. Streams lag or stop entirely when demands are so high, and coordinating such an event takes more planning and money than its worth. These companies would be better off doing small-scale productions where the games, not the spectacle, bask in the spotlight, and it

Press conferences are just one area in need of renovation. Just imagine if one developer scaled back the desperate opulence of its booth. No more intimidating constructions or distracting lights vying for your attention, and no more beautiful models hired as dehumanizing eye candy. Instead, there would be consoles and games lined up in a neat and orderly fashion, and people from development teams would be on hand to answer any questions. If one publisher were to take this route, just one, and still had crowds on hand, maybe the rest would realize how silly their expensive and exploitative efforts were. The only reason that a company would need unnecessary fluff to attract attention is if its games weren't good enough to be worthy on their own, so publishers would be shamed into having a more straightforward approach lest we realize their lack of confidence.

The industry is going through a transition. There's no telling how this next console cycle will be met, or what new business models will be used to squeeze every penny from eager customers. But it's clear that companies have been taking themselves way too seriously and they need to take a step back. The Electronic Entertainment Expo is a time for the world to see how the industry functions, so it's important that we put our best foot forward. Nintendo has made a wise decision to forgo its customary press conference for something more grounded than what we'd expect, and we can only hope that other companies take strides in the coming years to ensure that games take center stage.

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/applauding-nintendo-for-stepping-off-center-stage-6407575/

Nice article and a welcome counterbalance to all the forgone conclusions and demands for Nintendo not to break with tradition.

The Western style of posturing and hot air is something they seem increasingly ill at ease with (let's face it, even Reggie can only barely pull it off!), so I'm glad they're at least trying to handle things in a way that suits their own product and ethos. It could be a bad move, but we just don't know yet.

E3 isn't the cultural totem it once was.

E3 conferences have become pretty freaking boring. It gets tiresome to hype yourself up d

That's because they've made a balls of them for the last few years. I still remember a time when they were good like the Twilight Princess reveal and the crowd excited reaction. Epic.

They don't have to be $H!T, you know. It's the 1 time of year that shows the faces behind the games and brings all the developers together giving an opportunity for deals to be struck. It also garners the full attention of the gaming media and even mainstream media. Should the Cannes Film Festival be scrapped or different festivals and conferences in other mediums?

We can have our cake and eat it too. If it's such a good idea, why did it take so long to do and why aren't Microsoft and Sony doing likewise? Nintendo hate conferences. Spaceworld? Cancelled. GDC, they barely show up and others they totally ignore.

That's because they've made a balls of them for the last few years. I still remember a time when they were good like the Twilight Princess reveal and the crowd excited reaction. Epic.

They don't have to be $H!T, you know. It's the 1 time of year that shows the faces behind the games and brings all the developers together giving an opportunity for deals to be struck. It also garners the full attention of the gaming media and even mainstream media. Should the Cannes Film Festival be scrapped or different festivals and conferences in other mediums?

We can have our cake and eat it too. If it's such a good idea, why did it take so long to do and why aren't Microsoft and Sony doing likewise? Nintendo hate conferences. Spaceworld? Cancelled. GDC, they barely show up and others they totally ignore.

It's not just Nintendo's that has been "dull". Microsoft and Sony's have been dire the last 4 or so years

If I hear "through the magic of Kinect" one more time... Nothing against Kinect, but my god

It's not just Nintendo's that has been "dull". Microsoft and Sony's have been dire the last 4 or so years

If I hear "through the magic of Kinect" one more time... Nothing against Kinect, but my god

I don't care about Microsoft and Sony. They're the devils spawn and I hope they die. My only concern is for Nintendo. Just because their conferences have been $h!T doesn't excuse Nintendo for fecking up their E3.

Why can't we have both, E3 and Nintendo Direct? Speaking of which where's our 3rd party Nintendo Direct? Someone needs to B!T€H slap Nintendo. clak.gif

Edited by Wii

E3 conferences have become pretty freaking boring. It gets tiresome to hype yourself up d

And they're a pain to cover :heh:

E3 is not a games festival, it's a sales pitch. Cannes et al allow people to make and submit films, those that are chosen get exhibited and distribution deals are made during the event, networking happens etc. At E3 the big publishers/developers (and maybe a smattering of smaller ones, but not much) say "this is what we're doing, BUY IT".

E3 is a one-way presentation, film festivals are a multi-directional exhibition. You can't compare them. The only thing I can think of that they share in common is the degradation of women by certain attendees.

I don't care about Microsoft and Sony. They're the devils spawn and I hope they die.

tumblr_min1uhYZBE1s5lf2ro1_400.gif

Sorry guys, I was typing that above post on the phone and didn't even realise it had posted.

I'm fine with Nintendo Direct. It's basically an E3 presentation without all the bullshit I hate about E3 presentations.

The world has changed a lot in 20 years, I don't think Nintendo have adapted. If anything, it's pretty damning that of the big three, Nintendo is the most experience in the games industry and manages to mis-understand the industry so badly with it's last two launches.

I don't think the Wii technologically is a quality product at all. I'm not talking about just the graphics, I'm talking about a whole myriad of factors like their OS, the user experience, things like the the lack of cross-game chat, custom soundtrack - by the end of the year it will be lacking live streaming/video capture, the ability to download and play on the fly and god know what else. There's no dynamism in their general strategy either, nothing like a subsidised console contract like Microsoft (even if Microsoft's strategy is generally awful) no ideas like Playstation Plus. And their games? It's subjective, obviously, but they generally don't excite me - I don't like the Nintendo aesthetic and I'm much more into - I dunno, it's hard to describe - 'visceral' games? 'Emotional' games? Things like BioShock, Uncharted, Portal, Journey. Even crap games like Heavy Rain are at the least interesting to play, no matter how piss poor they are.

Sony seemed to have matured as time have passed. I use to hate their shitty games, crap like Spyro and Crash - they didn't even come close to the things Nintendo did. Sony have grown up and I've grown up, too. Nintendo still make the same games they've always had. It's that Nintendo 'magic' that is why they have such a special place in people's hearts and it doesn't work on me anymore.

The situation the 3DS was in and the situation the Wii U are in are different. They exist in two completely different sectors of the market.

Why are you even mentioning the Vita? I haven't said anything about the Vita. I think it's a great piece of hardware. I'm not really surprised its sales are so low. Its marketing has been dire - hell its whole positioning is confused. The memory cards are painfully expensive. There are enough games for me personally, but I can't keep up with the free games I want to play on Plus so I'm not in need of more games (I'm still nowhere near close to completing Persona 4). It doesn't look appealing at all, though.

I guess I'd be more vocal about it if I didn't consider handhelds 'fringe' gaming to me. I don't need the Vita to be the greatest thing ever. Honestly, I don't think there's really a market for the Vita (at least not at its price point).

TL;DR

1 - Balancing two consoles for two decades doesn't guarantee anything in a changing landscape.

2 - The 3DS and Wii U exist in different spaces. A comparison is facile.

3 - The Vita is an answer to a question no one asked. If it can reposition itself then maybe it'll find some prosperity, as it is I have very little reason to complain - for most, there are plenty of reasons to complain, however.

I don't know how to break posts up, so a little annoying.

I will say that this is a very solipsistic view of things. Handheld gaming is on the fringes 'to you' Nintendo magic doesn't work 'for you' etc and the this informing your view that Nintendo have lost it and will fall away this gen, not taking into account that handheld gaming is absolutely huge and Nintendo magic still works n more people than any other company... But because it doesn't for you you can't factor this in your judgement.

Fair enough you don't like Nintendo,though I imagine you've barely played much Nintendo over the past 5 years, not saying that's a problem, but I don't fully understand how people can have these ultra judgemental opinions damning something when you've not experienced them. Same thing when people slag off a section/genre of film, but never watch them. How do you know they're so crap and past it?

Most of it is subjective, I think Nintendo OS is pretty good on a functional and design point of view, and I think the vita bubble is an absolute disaster and ps3 not much better, but at the same time, I thinks only have areal chance of kicking ms out of the industry.

The reason I brought up vita, is because the reasons you slag off Nintendo, Sony have done much worse with the vita. You mention Nintendo fucking up the past 2 launches, well so have Sony! And the vita is showi no signs of recovering and probably won't. 3DS has. So how come Nintendo is doomed because of this but Sony are a-okay!? I just find a lot of hypocrisy on it, don't be offended by that, I'd prefer to keep it as a debate, but just trying to clarify thought.

Ultimately I think one of em will disappear this gen. And I think it will be Sony or ms. They're fighting for the same crowd and when nintendo rings the games, audiences follow. But Sony and ms can't compete in this area, Sony is getting much better so I think they SHOULD do well, and if the rumours of 720 are true I think ms are going to fuck it up, but they have so much money they could win for that, and people won't buy both.

As for services, I genuinely believe miiverse willbe better than any of the video social haring onthe ps3 which will be a great gimmick at first but then not get used. They're won fifa and cod etc, decent features and better to have than not,but not even remotely a killer app.

We'll see. It's always exciting. But I think it's going to be a tumultuous generation.

Eurogamer has posted a good article regarding the E3 news.

The gaming calendar's full of days worth celebrating, and days worth excitedly waiting sleepless for, but there's always one special date I mark out with a bright yellow marker pen pulled from a beaten-up metal Mario pencil case. Nintendo's traditional LA conference every year hasn't just been the highlight of E3 - for many years it's been E3, the very epitome of all that's wonderful, surprising and exciting about that one hectic week in June.

It smarts a little, then, that there won't really be a Happy Nintendo Day this year, and that a little of the pomp and a lot of the magic's going to be absent at E3. There won't be an orchestra led by a beaming Miyamoto, and nor will he reduce a crowd to hysterics by swinging around a Hylian Shield and Master Sword or pulling a Pikmin from his pocket.

Nor, for that matter, will there be anyone hellishly pounding a set of imaginary drums, or the ghoulish image of Reggie Fils-Aime's face slowly dripping off as he bellows about how much he loves French food. That's even sadder, really, for as Dennis Norden may or may not have once pointed out, while you should never work with children, animals or corporate executives in showbiz, it's often awfully entertaining when you do.

They're marvelous pieces of nerd theatre, Nintendo's conferences, and E3's going to be a sadder, less entertaining place without them. It's another ritual sacrificed to the march of time, and it's one that will be missed: no more nights spent hammering dial-up collections trying to capture a first grainy glimpse of the Wind Waker, and no more waving around a tatty copy of a post-E3 Edge while trying to convince friends how amazing the Revolution will be.

There's logic to the decision, of course, and it makes sense to a degree: with Microsoft and Sony's new hardware taking centre-stage there's no point getting lost in the noise, and no point spending a vast amount of money only to have your message drowned out by voices that will doubtless be screaming louder and with more ferocity. And, right now, it's perhaps more important than ever that Nintendo has a razor-sharp focus to its messaging come E3.

An exchange rate blowing in its favour does little to hide the fact that only 390,000 Wii Us have been sold worldwide since Christmas, even if it does help soften the financial blow. It's a worrying state of affairs made even more troubling by the fact that five months in to 2013 and there's only been two real games of note that have come out for the console - and one of them is merely an upscaled port of a 3DS title.

It's a far from a disastrous situation, mind. This soapbox bears the scuffmarks of those who've taken to it in the past expressing concern about another of Nintendo's consoles that got off to a shaky start, and the message then was simple: it's all about the games, and that's an area where Nintendo can deliver like no other.

The 3DS has since born that out, and right now there's an embarrassment of riches as the west catches up with all the games that helped propel the console to its current status as Japan's number one games machine. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Luigi's Mansion 2 and Fire Emblem: Awakening are all games any console would be proud of, and right now they're helping the 3DS state a case in joining its predecessor as one of the greatest handhelds of all time.

And so it is with the Wii U, which is already storing up a sizeable stack of games for the latter half of the year. Admittedly some of those are sneaking through a launch window that's now as large as the one sitting grandly on the face of the Notre Dame, with Game & Wario and The Wonderful 101 remaining AWOL while Pikmin 3 is still yet to receive a EU release date.

Add a Wind Waker remake, a new Mario and a new Mario Kart to that list, though, and you've got a line-up that Microsoft and Sony would be doing phenomenally well to come close to with their fledgling consoles - and I don't think it's too much of a leap to believe that Nintendo's going to have the strongest selection of software come the end of the year.

Probably not the best advert for French food ever.

They're all games that can't really afford to get lost in the odd corporate playhouse of an E3 conference that's trying to be all things to all people, either, and it makes sense to keep the focus on them through a series of Nintendo Directs. It was a Nintendo Direct last year, remember, that set up so well a conference that was to truly unmask the power and potential of the Wii U before it so spectacularly collapsed in a scuffle of awkward theatre.

Direct's the better medium, for sure, and with its little flashes of calculated eccentricity - Iwata's white gloves, or his face-off with a ripe bunch of bananas are just two highlights - it's fast become just as entertaining as any of Nintendo's E3 conferences. They're dates that I now regularly mark in the calendar, in fact, and ones I've jostled my way to a computer to experience as they go out live, excitedly texting friends for updates as I struggled to watch one over a 3G connection in an airport lounge.

Thinking back, I'm not really so sure whether Nintendo's decision to ditch the E3 conference this year was simply about steering clear of Microsoft and Sony's showboating, or about admitting it couldn't go toe-to-toe with the next generation of consoles. With the PS4 already having had its own event in February and Microsoft set to show the next Xbox on May 21, there's only so much shouting left to do come the conferences themselves. It seems, at long last, that the platform holders are wising up to the insanity of storing up its big announcements for a few short, hot days in LA. Games have become too big and too splintered to fit into a format that made sense a decade ago but is fast coming across as a little odd. It's something that Nintendo realised long ago, and it's only a matter of time before Sony and Microsoft follow suit. Nintendo's certainly not in the best shape right now, but it's heartening that, at a time of supposed crisis, in some areas it's still quietly, confidently leading the way.

Yeah, it's a good article, but I don't think that it'll be a popular opinion. I reckon that the attitude of it being a sign of weakness and cowardice will sadly prevail.

Either way, it'll be sad not to see them on stage and even sader if it becomes a permanent fixture. Nintendo Directs are great and all, but it's just not the same as seeing it happen live - where anything can (and frequently does!) go wrong.

There's a certain energy that you can't replicate without that live factor; not to mention the crowd reaction, which often generates as much hype as the games themselves (hi Twilight Princess @ E3 2004!).

Whatever they pull off at this E3, I hope they take this into account. A standard Nintendo Direct is not enough.

Yeah, it's a good article, but I don't think that it'll be a popular opinion. I reckon that the attitude of it being a sign of weakness and cowardice will sadly prevail.

Either way, it'll be sad not to see them on stage and even sader if it becomes a permanent fixture. Nintendo Directs are great and all, but it's just not the same as seeing it happen live - where anything can (and frequently does!) go wrong.

There's a certain energy that you can't replicate without that live factor; not to mention the crowd reaction, which often generates as much hype as the games themselves (hi Twilight Princess @ E3 2004!).

Whatever they pull off at this E3, I hope they take this into account. A standard Nintendo Direct is not enough.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a one to two hour direct, or there will be a direct each day in the 4 days running up to E3 opening

Games have become too big and too splintered to fit into a format that made sense a decade ago but is fast coming across as a little odd. It's something that Nintendo realis long ago, and it's only a matter of time before Sony and Microsoft follow suit.

It's like little kids who have gone to granny's for Christmas the last 5 years on the trot, then all of a sudden they're told this year they're going to smelly uncle Pete's *scream, cry, end of the world*. I think most people are resistant to change, it's just all too human. But Nintendo leads the way again? Big shock there then lol.

All this who won E3 pressure gamers place on it now as well. This year, in that respect, there will only be one party to take all the loss. Nintendo has put MS and Sony in a position to look at each other and ask "are we the knob'eds"?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a one to two hour direct, or there will be a direct each day in the 4 days running up to E3 opening

I think it would be more hilarious if they dropped a couple of major bombs in the run up to the Sony and Microsoft events.. and then unleashed hell afterwards : peace:

I just have this horrible feeling that they're doing it behind closed doors because there are going to be strict NDAs on lots of stuff that we might get as the smallest of teasers for in the Directs.

I've a feeling that some things they will have wanted to show aren't quite up to the standards that they'd want to be showing it as too.

I hope any NDAs there might be won't be too strict.

I just have this horrible feeling that they're doing it behind closed doors because there are going to be strict NDAs on lots of stuff that we might get as the smallest of teasers for in the Directs.

I've a feeling that some things they will have wanted to show aren't quite up to the standards that they'd want to be showing it as too.

To be honest I don't think they can afford to be secretive about the Wii U software and I think they know this as well. Games such as X being shown so early back this up.

In recent years Nintendo would have kept such games behind closed doors until it was near release but with the way the Wii U is selling they need to show software is on the way. The same goes for the announcement of Mario Kart and a new 3D Mario.

To be honest I don't think they can afford to be secretive about the Wii U software and I think they know this as well. Games such as X being shown so early back this up.

In recent years Nintendo would have kept such games behind closed doors until it was near release but with the way the Wii U is selling they need to show software is on the way. The same goes for the announcement of Mario Kart and a new 3D Mario.

I've just got the feeling that Nintendo aren't ready to show everything as they'd have liked to. Just like they weren't ready for the WiiU launch and just like they weren't ready for Pikmin 3's release date.

I'm losing faith in them as time goes on... :hmm:

They won't. They've said their E3 focus is on North America, and that Japan and Europe will get the stuff through Nintendo Directs so it's all good

I don't know how to break posts up, so a little annoying.

Select Multi-Quote ("+ Quote"), then separate each bit you want to quote with [ QUOTE ] and [ / QUOTE ] at each end (without the spaces).

I think this might be the best point so far. Everyone has been saying "Nintendo can't have three bad E3 shows in a row", so I wonder if, rather than think "Let's make a good one then", they've thought "Let's not do a show!"

(For the record, I enjoyed E3 2011, with Link vs the Spider, but that's not the point.)

And they haven't actually said they're doing a lot of Nintendo Directs, have they? I hope they do, and they show a lot of great games, but I'm by no means certain of that.

It'll deffo be fun to experience E3 without needing to listen to sales numbers or seeing cringe worthy attempts to put kids on stage to please the family audience. If Iwata even tries to mention a Wii Music/Wii Play/Wii Stitch, has my permission to use his mastersword and slay Iwata. Preferably by beheading him.

Nintendo need to put the focus on quality software, something that's been tragically missing during the last few years. I do hope that Nintendo have a lot to show, because to be honest, they need to. There is a software drought on a brand spanking new console, very few games have so far been confirmed. Not to mention that the only mention worthy game launched by Nintendo for ages was Skyward Sword.

Nintendo need to show off everything from how the gamepad can make games that are "AAA", "Core" (as well as all the other controversial terms) more enjoyable. Show that the Wii U is without a shadow of a doubt more powerful than the PS3/Xbox 360 and in the same league as the PS4.

Show us who thought the N64/Dreamcast era was the golden age of gaming, that the Wii U is for us. Show us open worlds to explore, rather than scripted corridors. Overwhelm us with quality and quantity. If you won't get GTA IV, employ someone to make an even better game.

Oh, and for gods sake, give us Nintendo GT. This year marks 15 years of waiting and if you don't realise that you need it to compete, then I feel sorry for you. To quote Pachter: "it's a profit deal". Not making it is just proof that Nintendon't want to take risks or innovate in the software sector.