NEurope
Cube

Notable Things About Your Town/City

Anything you would like to add @lostmario to this list of Sheffield's wonderful attributes?

Both Sheffield clubs have historic football stadiums.

Pretty sure Bramall Lane is one of the oldest footballs stadiums in the world.

Hillsborough Stadium obviously be remembered for the 1989 disaster but upto the late nineties, it was regularly used for FA Cup Semis.

Also, isn't it the biggest stadium (capacity) outside the premier league?

Nearly forgot, Sheffield FC - oldest football club in the world.

Edited by lostmario

Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom, it is not part of Britain.

What he said wasn't controversial as much as it was wrong.

Well, I don't know what you guys think, but over here, in both an academic and casual context Britain reffers to the UK, including Northern Ireland. And Wikipedia seems to agree. NI may not be a part of the island of Great Britain, but it most certainly is a part of the UK, so in most people's definition of Britain, NI is indeed a part of Britain, thus making Liam Neeson British.

Well, I don't know what you guys think, but over here, in both an academic and casual context Britain reffers to the UK, including Northern Ireland. And Wikipedia seems to agree. NI may not be a part of the island of Great Britain, but it most certainly is a part of the UK, so in most people's definition of Britain, NI is indeed a part of Britain, thus making Liam Neeson British.

Agreed most people would say that

The correct title is United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. So NI is not part of GB but part of UK.

Anyway my point was that I always thought Liam Neeson was an american until I wikipediared it the other week.

depends who you ask over here, but the majority of people in N,Ireland would consider themselves to be british.. (nationalists on the other hand....)

And yeah there is still trouble over here... our police officers carry guns. We still have regular bomb threats and riots. We had a lot of trouble over christmas over the head of a flag being taken down..

But saying that, things are a lot easier than they used to be even 10-15 years ago

Oh yeah; I call myself british cause I'm actually a born Scot. I would consider n.ireland to be my home though.

I was born in Oxford, but for most of my life I have lived in a small town called Buckingham. Most people would have heard of Buckingham Palace, whose name comes from its original owner, the Duke of Buckingham, but it is in no way related to the town.

It's pretty unremarkable really. Our saint is St Rumbold, who only lived for 3 days but was able to talk and profess his Christian faith. Yep. Not very far away is Silverstone Circuit, so we usually get a lot of strange visitors every time the British Grand Prix is on. We are also about 10 miles from the nearest railway station. Oh and we have a house with a twisted chimney.

Buckingham-8718.jpg

I live in a town called Winsford in Cheshire which no-one will have heard off... Except @Aneres11 & @nightwolf! ;)

As it is basically in the central of Cheshire it boasts the headquarters of both Cheshire Fire & Rescue and the Police...

Apparently it has the largest salt mine in the UK and is only one of 3 commercial sites where it is mined. So there is a very high chance that all that salt on the road which helps keep you safe is from my little town! ;)

Oh, and it's a shithole with nothing else decent in it.

I feel like going through all the places I have lived, so here we go.

I was born in Edgware, London, and lived in Borehamwood (technically Hertfordshire, but pretty much London) for the first couple of years of my life. The only real significant thing about it is the Elstree Studios, where many TV shows are filmed including Eastenders, Big Brother, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, as well as films such as the original Star Wars trilogy. My mum often talks about there being off-duty stormtroopers in local pubs when the films were being produced in the 80s.

We then moved to Marchwood, a large village on the outskirts of Southampton and on the edge of the New Forest. While Southampton is famous all over the world for being the departure point of the Titanic, Marchwood is significant for being Britain's only dedicated military port, playing a large part in the deployment of equipment to our armed forces around the world. The BBC calls it an unknown hero for its role in the D-Day landings and the Falklands War. Marchwood is also home to Southampton FC's training ground, a sewage works, incinerator and power station. Quite a lot of things for a village really.

I then went to uni in Islington, London. In my first year, I lived in halls. What's so notable you ask? For some bizarre reason, Masterchef was filmed inside them.

The following two years, I lived in Holloway, London, 100m away from a women's prison and within walking distance of the greatest team the world has ever seen.

The most notable thing about my hometown is that it's the place where I was born.

... Is what I expect people will say twenty years from now.

The most notable thing about my hometown is that it's the place where I was born.

... Is what I expect people will say twenty years from now.

Who are these people that will consider themselves so notable in twenty years?

The following two years, I lived in Holloway, London, 100m away from a women's prison and within walking distance of the greatest team the world has ever seen.

And where Christina Hendricks used to live. Sheesh, miss out the best part why don't you?

And where Christina Hendricks used to live. Sheesh, miss out the best part why don't you?

Didn't know that. Just looked it up and she said she lived near the prison. Maybe she lived in my flat!

If we're gonna go into famous names, John Lydon also lived off Holloway Road, as well as Keith and Lily Allen, Boris Johnson, Bob Hoskins and Kate Winslet, apparently. Although I guess with London you could pull up famous names for most major areas.

I live in a little village called Caldicot. Most notible things about the place is the Castle and that it's twinned with 2 other towns in Europe. No famous people as such live here, but i am approximately 2-3 miles away from 2 fellow N-Europers in @BeerMonkey and @Ganepark. And did live 15 miles or so from Flinky before he moved.

Caldicot is about 15 miles from Newport and 4 miles from Chepstow. Both of which are more notable than where i be.

Newport's notable people

Chepstow is notable for the author J.K Rowling, she lived in Tutshill about 1/2 mile from Chepstow) and has a better castle/more history.

Didn't know that. Just looked it up and she said she lived near the prison. Maybe she lived in my flat!

If we're gonna go into famous names, John Lydon also lived off Holloway Road, as well as Keith and Lily Allen, Boris Johnson, Bob Hoskins and Kate Winslet, apparently. Although I guess with London you could pull up famous names for most major areas.

I told you when you moved into that place!

If we're gonna go into famous names, John Lydon also lived off Holloway Road

I feel so sorry for those people.

Joan Holloway used to live in Holloway? Did she move to Harris?

I've lived in 3 main places during my lifetime. First person in my family to be born in Newport. Whilst growing up, it wasn't too bad a place. However, since leaving it and then going back over the years, it is progressively getting worse and worse.

It is home to the worst Castle I have ever seen with my eyes. It takes about 30 seconds to walk through it and there is nothing of note to explain what the castle was used for or its history. Its an eyesore and no money has been spent on preserving it.

newport1.jpg

The bus station was in need of redevelopment as a kid, and it hasn't changed since the day I was born. It's terrible to walk through, smells of piss the entire time and has poor lighting.

Newport_Bus_Station_waiting_area_-_geograph.org.uk_-_767782.jpg

It does have the Transporter Bridge, mind.

280px-Newport_Transporter_Bridge_from_east_bank.jpg

and

The Triforce

p0000000171.jpg

Overall, Wales is quite shitty and I wouldn't live there again if I had a choice. Poor for jobs, dreadful for transportation, especially towards the middle of the country. Cardiff is lovely, but aside from that, never again.

Next up, Brighton.

I love it. Loved the place and I enjoy going back.

The Pavillion and the gardens are beautiful. There was an ice-rink there during the winter months which looked fantastic.

Sussex,%20Brighton,%20Royal%20Pavilion.jpg

The Lanes feature a lot of small shops and restaurants, cafes, drinking places. At Christmas time, when the lights are up, it looks stunning.

brighton-lanes_1393175c.jpg

brighton%2Bnight%2Btime%2Bshots%2Blanes%2B001.jpg

On the whole, it's an excellent place to visit and I would love to live there again. The only downside is that a lot of my friends have left since going to Uni there, but there are some that still remain.

Currently, I'm living in Bournemouth.

I'm fond of the place. There's the lovely central gardens which runs right the middle of town to the beach.

bournemouth-hotel67.jpg

bournemouth.jpg

You can walk up the cliffs and get an awesome view of the beach and the sea. There's also a ton of smaller beaches scattered around the place, including one of my favourite ones at Highcliffe Castle.

Highcliffe_Castle_3.jpg

Right outside of our house, we get a view of the Upper Gardens, which is probably the best view I've ever had. Unfortunately, it's been raining/snowing/cold/miserable for most of the time, but during the summer months it can look outstanding.

IMGP2227.jpg

bournemouth-central-gardens-3.jpg

In general, it's probably the most beautiful part of the world I've lived in. Luckily, it also doesn't seem to be too far away from other places. Southampton is nearby, as is Salisbury. Bath and London are also not terribly far away if you wanted something different. I'm a fan of the area and as times passed I am appreciating it more and more.

Is the water off Bournemouth beach really that blue? I'm sensin' a shoppin'....

The nearest city to my home village:

Stirling

Can be summed up with 1 word: Shitehole.

However, there is some great history to the place and a few huge landmarks.

Stirling Castle

300px-Stirlingcastle.jpg

So much history to this building I don't really know where to start. It was central to the Scottish Wars of Independence. The siege of the castle in 1313-1314 led to the Battle of Bannockburn (just down the road) where Scotland triumphed and gained their independence from England.

The Argyle & Sutherland Highlanders have their HQ in the castle. Unfortunately this is something that could look spectacular at night but they have about one light shining up the rockface that does nothing for it.

The Wallace Monument

001521_097ad8a2.jpg

Built in the 1800s to commemorate William Wallace. Wallace is said to have stood on that spot on Abbey Craig to watch his army assemble. Open to the public, there are around 250 steps leading up to the viewing terrace on the roof.

Dusk Nightclub

t90eliefm127QtawKXCnYhUTCj5Jj0E0KL_SfdOl5U8elBFmk04HIMnhOPJfcy9Mt9EFPJQr36DWe0pY=s320

One of two nightclubs, hidden away in a car park, it's rare that you won't see a fight in here.

It is home to the worst Castle I have ever seen with my eyes. It takes about 30 seconds to walk through it and there is nothing of note to explain what the castle was used for or its history. Its an eyesore and no money has been spent on preserving it.

I give you the mighty

prestatyncastle1.jpg

Speaking of the town, Prestatyn is currently a focus point on government spending. It's main bus stop has been revamped (including train-like digital displays with bus times), the Ffrith beach has had a lot of work (although part of that was a fun fair which barely exists now), the train station has a new building and a rather over the top bridge (including a lift) and it now has a new shopping park area.

I feel sorry for the people of Rhyl. That had already started falling apart (the sea front is depressing), and due to the developments in Prestatyn, many companies are moving to Prestatyn.

Going into a shopping park and seeing everything from the shelves to the escalators super clean is a strange sight.

I would love to move to Brighton, or someone south on the coast. I miss living near the sea (used to live in Liverpool- which was awesome). I'm guessing people who have lived/ live there would definitely recommend it?

I'm originally from Batley, a crappy town in West Yorkshire famed for the Batley Variety club, famous in the 70s for hosting acts such as Tina Turner, Louis Armstrong and the Bee Gees.

413091_9f80c123.jpg

Also in Batley is the family business- barber shops

284302_10150391021623452_3106135_n.jpg

I now live in Sheffield. The big things I notice are:

Hills all over the place.

Friendly people who like to talk to you.

Prejudice on the Sheffield Forum.

A MASSIVE social divide- pretty much all left wing, university educated people live in South West of the city.

Lots of great pubs.

A city centre shopping street which residents want making larger.

fargate205.jpg

Bournemouth is great. Been on holiday there a few times in my youth. I also had the pleasure of working there last summer (late June/early July when there was some sunshine) and had the privilege of staying in the Marriott Highcliff overlooking the beach.

6880_Bournemouth_Highcliff_Marriott_Hotel.jpg

Is the water off Bournemouth beach really that blue? I'm sensin' a shoppin'....

Here's a picture of me by the sea.

312501_10150328802678534_2079287154_n.jpg

It probably has been altered, although it does go through different shades of blue. Looks lovely in the summer time and still worth a visit.

I give you the mighty

prestatyncastle1.jpg

Haha, where's the castle?!

I would love to move to Brighton, or someone south on the coast. I miss living near the sea (used to live in Liverpool- which was awesome). I'm guessing people who have lived/ live there would definitely recommend it?

The downside is that it's fucking freezing during the cold months. That, and the fact you get loads of tourists during the summer months. On the whole, Brighton is ace, would recommend. I warn you, it's not cheap...

Bournemouth is great. Been on holiday there a few times in my youth. I also had the pleasure of working there last summer (late June/early July when there was some sunshine) and had the privilege of staying in the Marriott Highcliff overlooking the beach.

6880_Bournemouth_Highcliff_Marriott_Hotel.jpg

Herro! Where were you working? Marriot looks lovely.

Quite a lot of people that live in Bournemouth or have links there. I'm there, Nintendohnut is there, Serebii is there and apparently the guy who leads the world's biggest Pokeymans website is there, too.

Haha, where's the castle?!

It's a mound with a rock. Although to be fair, it was a wooden castle that burnt down.

Is it cheaper than London? Dan's keen on moving there, but I'm trying to convince him that Brighton is better (even though I've never been!).

It's a mound with a rock. Although to be fair, it was a wooden castle that burnt down.

Ah, then at least that is forgiveable. Newport Castle has no excuse. It's actually the perfect welcoming sign to the place. "Welcome to Newport. Everything has fallen apart and is in ruins." :p

Is it cheaper than London? Dan's keen on moving there, but I'm trying to convince him that Brighton is better (even though I've never been!).

I'd go to Brighton first for a weekend visit. You need to visit the lanes for shopping and get something nice to eat there. London has its perks, but I prefer the character of Brighton. I'm sure Jayseven would agree, too.

As for the price: It's quite expensive in places. There are your typical more expensive to live areas and going out for a meal can be pricey at times. It's not too far off London prices in all honesty. I'd go for a visit so you can judge for yourself. You got any friends there?