N-Europe

Late to the PS3 Party!

nekunando

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually cleared Heavy Rain earlier this year having played almost half of it previously :smile:

With PS+, am I right in thinking that you only have access to play the games as long as you stay a subscriber? If that's the case, I actually don't find it that appealing..

Depends if you're a serial replayer. As much as I love these games I don't think they have that much replayability. I often buy a game, love it, play it over a few months and never touch it again. Coming to that realisation made PS+ all the more appealing. Also you keep the games if you leave and resubscribe another day.

I really hope we get Spec Ops: The Line. Uuuurgh, would be awesome.

Much better then the third game in a series where the arching plot and continuing save file is extremely important (even if the game is one of the best games in the last few years).

I ordered a 320GB HDD for the PS3 last night and an enclosure for the old 40GB one. I don't currently have an external hard drive so I assume there isn't really another way to back up what's currently on the PS3..

I was wondering what happens when I get the new HDD into the PS3. Will I be able to plug the 40GB HDD into the USB port and transfer my data from it directly to the 320GB one? If not, is it possible to just take across save data for a couple of games that I want? I'm not that bothered about most of the data as there's not that much on there but I'd like to take my Heavy Rain and Red Dead Redemption data with me.

Also, really n00b question.. what happens my PS ID and trophies and whatever else? Will I be able to sign in as usual or are there certain things I have to do? ::shrug:

Nah, you need an external HDD really. If you get that Plus trial you can upload all your saves onto le cloud and then redownload them. You must have a USB memory stick somewhere, that'll do the job of transferring saves.

Just log in with you ID and everything is done. The only time you have to do anything is if you get a different machine - just remember to deactivate your old one and that sorts that out. Also, if you have any SingStar DLC, that stuff is locked to the machine and not your ID...I have no idea why, but call up Sony and let them know (again, that's only if you get a new machine).

What if I 'back up' the files onto the 320GB drive and then insert it into the PS3? Will that work?

Best bet for a few save files just backup to a USB pen/drive and later transfer to the drive you want when it's inserted. This won't work for copy-protected saves (most saves aren't copy protected).

Best bet for a few save files just backup to a USB pen/drive and later transfer to the drive you want when it's inserted. This won't work for copy-protected saves (most saves aren't copy protected).

I'm happy enough just taking a couple of save files but will changing HDD affect my PSN and ID stuff..? ::shrug:

What if I 'back up' the files onto the 320GB drive and then insert it into the PS3? Will that work?
This won't work because the HDD has to be FAT32 to be used externally, but will be formatted when you put it inside the PS3.

When you put any HDD in the PS3 it gets formatted to a proprietary format, this is unavoidable. You just sign in once it's all set up with your PSN ID and everything is redownloadable/reinstallable/recoverable from backup.

This won't work because the HDD has to be FAT32 to be used externally, but will be formatted when you put it inside the PS3.

When you put any HDD in the PS3 it gets formatted to a proprietary format, this is unavoidable. You just sign in once it's all set up with your PSN ID and everything is redownloadable/reinstallable/recoverable from backup.

My dad has an external hard drive with loads of stuff on it. Presumably I could move all of those files to my PC, use it to back up my PS3, then return the files to the hard drive from my PC after I'm done with it..

Is that likely to cause any problems?

That will be perfectly fine. I would seriously recomend joining plus, I've sold all my vita games and slowly selling my ps3 collection off (except the classics); you got a lot of free stuff, loads of hour long trials of games and such. You could live off of plus in my opinion!

I wouldn't risk it. Do you not have a USB stick or memory card?

How is it a risk? Put everything on it onto a computer; use it for ps3 to sort that, put everything back. It couldn't be more safe or easier

How is it a risk? Put everything on it onto a computer; use it for ps3 to sort that, put everything back. It couldn't be more safe or easier

Well, my PC no longer recognises mine. The formatting to FAT32 went wrong somehow.

(Although it was an old, cheap, HDD).

Yeah the ext hdd would have to be formatted to FAT32, so back that up onto the comp first. Also you dont have to move individual files if you do this, there's an option in System settings for backing up to external, and then another for restoring later.