NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
nekunando

Late to the PS3 Party!

With the Wii U being doomed and the real next gen just around the corner, I'm starting to think it may be about time to make proper use of my brother's old 40GB PS3 that I've had hooked up to my TV for ages..

Although that first statement may be somewhat tongue in cheek, seeing reviews recently for games such as Tomb Raider and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance have left me eager to get my hands on them and a few other potential gems that I haven't really looked twice at over the last few years :indeed:

Basically, I've created this thread so that those of you who have been experiencing the console throughout its lifespan can maybe help me discover the games I need to play and the places I can buy them for the best price :hehe:

As it is the 40GB model, I'm interested in replacing the HDD with something like 320GB or 500GB and then housing and reformatting the old drive to act as an external hard drive for my PC, a device I don't currently own.

I'm also looking to trade in the Sixaxis controller in favour of a DualShock 3 due to the additional weight and rumble. It may not be a controller I love, but I can make do :heh:

In addition, though less important, is the fact that the condition of the PS3 console is far from perfect with quite a lot of light scratches covering its body. I'm not sure what my brother was doing to leave it in such a state but if I could be pointed in the direction of some inexpensive decals then that could well be a reasonable way to making it look more respectable :grin:

To summarise, I'm looking for the best deals on..

• PS3 Games
  • PSN Games
  • Dual Shock 3 Controllers
  • 320/500GB Hard Drives
  • Blu Ray Remotes
  • Decals

Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

There's been some stupidly good deals on PS Plus lately, you should check that out. Things like anywhere from £12-£25 for a whole year, mostly by grabbing a card in a closing down sale at Blockbuster. But if you can't find it there, even £29.99 online is really good. Plus is the best thing in current generation consoles, and will allow you to play some of the best games off the bat, such as Infamous 2. The rental games change per month, Plus lets you download these games at no extra cost and you have them whenever your subscription is active.

Currently also on there is Mass Effect 3, Little Big Planet 2, Mortal Kombat, Dead or Alive 5. Previously there's been Bioshock, Burnout Paradise, lots of other great titles.

You will, however, need that beasty HDD first as Infamous 2 alone needs 30GB (!) to download and install. I don't know any good prices on 2.5" HDDs though but could do with one myself. Most of the fuss is on SSDs right now, I'll be interested in anyone else's suggestions.

Some games (far from comprehensive)...

It's hard to think of less current games as I've mostly had them on the 360... These deals aren't especially great but they're great games.

Revengeance and Tomb Raider aren't in any particularly great deals right now. Here's Revengeance for £30 with some tacked on DLC.

Then there's the downloadable games, I believe Plus gives you a discount on these

Walking Dead

Journey

Limbo

Braid

(Check the XBLA/PSN thread someone recently posted a fairly decent top x list)

Edited by Shorty

Uncharted 3 is currently in Zavvi's 2 for £25.

At Shopto...

Infamous 1 and 2 are both £10.85

Batman Arkham Asylum & Arrkham City are both under £12.

At Amazon, Heavy Rain is £12.49

You might also want to grab Ni No Kuni fro somewhere.

---

In terms of PSN games, check out the stickied thread where I posted IGN's Top 25 PSN games to give you an idea of what you might like to buy! There's LOADS!! :D

But to start with I'd recommend The Unfinished Swan and Journey.

Edited by Retro_Link

What TV do you have? Some TVs will let you control your PS3 over HDMI, so no need for the remote (a controller is fine, anyway).

Fallout 3 GOTY is £13.85 at ShopTo. I reckon the DLC is worth the extra cost.

I've got a spare PS+ code that will give you a month for free. If you want it then shoot me a PM.

That reminds me, I need to use mine.

Should probably grab that God of War HD download before it goes.

Definitely recommend the Infamous (including the Festival of Blood PSN game) and Uncharted series. Worth trying LittleBigPlanet (either 1 or 2, but you should get the sequel for free on PS+). Journey is another must play.

At £33.50 on Amazon, they're really not that expensive. A Wiimote Plus & Nunchuck will set you back more.

It is expensive though. I never needed a second nunchuk and my Wiimote plus was bundled with Zelda. You can get wired xbox pads for £16 and wireless for £20. The Dualshock has barely dropped in years and is rarely in a deal.

It is expensive though..

It is when I'd like to have 2 at some point.. but I do agree that handing over money for remotes, nunchuks and classic controllers is also a significant amount :eek:

Thanks for all the help so far :hehe: I've actually picked up Red Dead Redemption: Game of the Year Edition tonight from Tesco for £14.. though I haven't opened it yet :red: I'll probably do that tomorrow! It was a bit of a spur of the moment purchase as I thought the price was really good for it :smile:

Strap yourself in, folks.. the current gen starts here :grin:

Oh, sure. Now you like the current generation. When it's pretty much over. :heh:

Oh, sure. Now you like the current generation. When it's pretty much over. :heh:

Don't get ahead of yourself :heh: I'm merely exploring the possibility of there being an opportunity that I may some day think about trying to not dislike one of those PlayStation Box things the kids have been talking about while I was waggling :indeed:

Get Playstation Plus and a copy of FIFA 13 so we can relive the old glory days we had playing footie games....

Don't worry, the Wii U will keep this generation alive until 2017!

There's been some stupidly good deals on PS Plus lately, you should check that out. Things like anywhere from £12-£25 for a whole year, mostly by grabbing a card in a closing down sale at Blockbuster. But if you can't find it there, even £29.99 online is really good. Plus is the best thing in current generation consoles, and will allow you to play some of the best games off the bat, such as Infamous 2. The rental games change per month, Plus lets you download these games at no extra cost and you have them whenever your subscription is active.

Currently also on there is Mass Effect 3, Little Big Planet 2, Mortal Kombat, Dead or Alive 5. Previously there's been Bioshock, Burnout Paradise, lots of other great titles.

You will, however, need that beasty HDD first as Infamous 2 alone needs 30GB (!) to download and install. I don't know any good prices on 2.5" HDDs though but could do with one myself. Most of the fuss is on SSDs right now, I'll be interested in anyone else's suggestions.

Some games (far from comprehensive)...

It's hard to think of less current games as I've mostly had them on the 360... These deals aren't especially great but they're great games.

Revengeance and Tomb Raider aren't in any particularly great deals right now. Here's Revengeance for £30 with some tacked on DLC.

Then there's the downloadable games, I believe Plus gives you a discount on these

Walking Dead

Journey

Limbo

Braid

(Check the XBLA/PSN thread someone recently posted a fairly decent top x list)

Is Borderlands really that cheap used?!!!!!!! It's like $50 here. If someone can get me a copy I'll pay for it!

I second PS+ Incredible value.

Otherwise you have a ton of choice when it comes to classics. Have fun with your backlog and get acquainted with Blu ray media streaming etc. if you havent already.

Heavy Rain is actually £10.85 at Shopto. I've recently completed it and I'd definitely recommend it Nando!

There are so many great games in the Playstation Essentials range now!!!...

http://shopto.net/search/?platform=&newsearch=essentials

I actually cleared Heavy Rain earlier this year having played almost half of it previously :smile:

With PS+, am I right in thinking that you only have access to play the games as long as you stay a subscriber? If that's the case, I actually don't find it that appealing..

In a year you'll get 12-18 PS3 games, 12-18 PSN games plus loads of discounts for around the same price as a Dualshock 3.

edit: try a 30 day trial of PS+ if you're still not sure.

http://www.eurogamer.net/giveaways.php?id=87209&utm_source=eurogamer&utm_medium=header-promo&utm_campaign=Try+PS+Plus+free+for+30+days+in+the+UK

The games available to download for free right now:

Mass Effect 3

Dead of Alive 5

Joe Danger 2

God of War HD

F1 Race Stars

LittleBigPlanet 2

Mortal Kombat

InFamous 2

Motorstorm Apocalypse

Quantum Conundrum

+ Vita games like Uncharted.

In the recent past I know we've had Sleeping Dogs, Red Dead Redemption, Borderlands, Deus Ex amongst others. I wish I had signed up sooner.

Edited by Rowan

In a year you'll get 12-18 PS3 games, 12-18 PSN games plus loads of discounts for around the same price as a Dualshock 3.

edit: try a 30 day trial of PS+ if you're still not sure.

http://www.eurogamer.net/giveaways.php?id=87209&utm_source=eurogamer&utm_medium=header-promo&utm_campaign=Try+PS+Plus+free+for+30+days+in+the+UK

The games available to download for free right now:

Mass Effect 3

Dead of Alive 5

Joe Danger 2

God of War HD

F1 Race Stars

LittleBigPlanet 2

Mortal Kombat

InFamous 2

Motorstorm Apocalypse

Quantum Conundrum

+ Vita games like Uncharted.

In the recent past I know we've had Sleeping Dogs, Red Dead Redemption, Borderlands, Deus Ex amongst others. I wish I had signed up sooner.

Hell, the free trial is a brilliant start to get into the PS3. LBP, InFamous , Motorstorm and more to play for absolutely nothing in your first month, without the need of tracking down cheap copies of games.

Damn I've missed Vanquish, Limbo and Sleeping Dogs?... I should have used that free trial sooner.

Like you I'm not fully convinced by Plus Nando... but I've decided I'll probably use it for the games I'm not sure about buying but would like to try... as in those games I just listed.

If it makes you feel better, I bought Vanquish on release and it wasn't good enough for me to finish it.

I liked Vanquish.

With PS+, am I right in thinking that you only have access to play the games as long as you stay a subscriber? If that's the case, I actually don't find it that appealing..

Yes, but you can purchase all the free games while you're a subscriber, let your subscription lapse and sign up for another month a year later and download and play anything you've purchased previously.

Sign in to follow this