N-Europe

Facebook News Feed Event - All complaints in here please

Charlie

Wow I've not seen a pointless and counterproductive splash page in what feels like a decade.

I have a good reason for having my splash page

Is there a good reason the font on your website is so tiny and the article closing image of that (I assume) Pokemon is so huge?

To reduce your Google ranking? To deter visitors?

It's actually because of the google ranking.

Google has ignored that page and gone straight for my news page. If I were to shift the news page to the Splash page's URL, I'd not only lose people who bookmarked, I'd lose my google position

It's actually because of the google ranking.

Google has ignored that page and gone straight for my news page. If I were to shift the news page to the Splash page's URL, I'd not only lose people who bookmarked, I'd lose my google position

It's ignored that page because it is a splash page that serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever. If you were to change index2 to index then you could implement some features that would make it pick up the linkjuice. As for people who have bookmarked, that's a pretty simple fix...

Long story short, your site has fantastic content and is a great resource but is SEO hell. Great content can easily equal great SEO if you were to implement even just permalinks for your news articles.

It's ignored that page because it is a splash page that serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever. If you were to change index2 to index then you could implement some features that would make it pick up the linkjuice. As for people who have bookmarked, that's a pretty simple fix...

Long story short, your site has fantastic content and is a great resource but is SEO hell. Great content can easily equal great SEO if you were to implement even just permalinks for your news articles.

The site does well enough, SEO-wise :p Top of most Pokémon related searches, just off top otherwise (due to google's prioritising of wikis

The site does well enough, SEO-wise :p Top of most Pokémon related searches, just off top otherwise (due to google's prioritising of wikis

But it could be doing better! I bet other rival sites (i.e. Bulbapedia, who I assume you're referring to) will be catching you due to their superior on-site SEO.

Anyway, I'm not sure why I'm telling you this, you don't seem to listen to advice given.

But it could be doing better! I bet other rival sites (i.e. Bulbapedia, who I assume you're referring to) will be catching you due to their superior on-site SEO.

Anyway, I'm not sure why I'm telling you this, you don't seem to listen to advice given.

Perhaps, but it'd require significant rewrites

Afaik you'll only have it if you put yourself on "the list".

Back to Serebii... :heh: Mod rewrite your urls, or 301 redirect, it wouldn't be a problem. A splash page is SEO suicide and straight out of 15 years ago. Just because you do well in SEO doesn't mean you should become complacent...

I'm following this derailment because I couldn't care less about Facebook and G+ :p

Edited by Shorty

• 3 weeks later...

So, Facebook has issued a change. But it's not this one.

The timeline is now a single steam of updates on one side, with extra information on the other side (so, just like Twitter an Google+). So they've listened to all the complaints of having to alternate sides as you moved down the page.

It's a bit odd that when you reach the end of the left bar, it starts following you down the page.