N-Europe

Watch Dogs (Nov 21st)

gaggle64

In a statement provided to VideoGamer.com following the announcement, a Ubisoft spokesperson said:

"We made the difficult decision to further delay the release of Watch Dogs on Wii U to focus the team's resources where they could have the broadest possible benefit for both our customers and Ubisoft".

http://www.videogamer.com/wiiu/watch..._on_wii_u.htm

What does this mean? Focusing on other platforms to make sure there the best they can be?

Everything to me points to a cancellation or a wii u version which is gimped compared to the others.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The numbers really dont lie

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/02/just_2_percent_of_ubisofts_q3_sales_were_for_wii_u

Grim numbers

Confirmation that Watch_Dogs has been delayed again on Wii U, and will arrive later than on other platforms, is certainly a hot topic. While debates around the reasons, justification and ramifications for the game's sales will spin around, there are key statistics that highlight just why Ubisoft isn't exactly busting a gut to deliver the Wii U version alongside the others — the numbers simply don't add up.

Ubisoft's financial results press release paints a picture of the degree to which Nintendo's home console has struggled to deliver. Below are percentages of Ubisoft's overall sales that can be attributed to Wii U, along with how those percentages converted to actual figures.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q3 2013/2014

Wii U delivered 2% of sales — €10.4 million / £8.7 million / $14.2 million out of a total €520 million / £433 million / $710 million

First nine months of 2013/2014

Wii U delivered 4% of sales — €32.5 million / £27.1 million / $44.4 million out of a total €813 million / £677 million / $1110 million

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are clearly low numbers, with the first two quarters including Rayman Legends and Splinter Cell: Blacklist, and the third quarter including Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag and Just Dance 2014; Black Flag shifted 10 million units to retailers, and Just Dance 2014 six million units. These are all multi-platform titles — controversially so with Rayman Legends — and the Wii U has contributed little; as a sign of Ubisoft not showing any interest in the 3DS, it's contributed 0% all year according to the same set of figures (it's not much better for Sony's Vita).

For the Wii U, it's the worst performing home console for Q3 and the first nine-months; below are the other main players in Q3.

PlayStation 3 — 28%

Xbox 360 — 27%

PlayStation 4 — 12%

Wii — 11%

PC — 10%

Xbox One — 9%

The big winners are the last-gen systems, with Wii catching the eye courtesy of the continuing impressive sales of Just Dance on the console; it's natural that the new hardware from Microsoft and Sony would be lower due to their launches in November. For the Wii U, a full year on the market hasn't delivered notable numbers.

There's a vicious cycle in that Ubisoft has either delayed Wii U games, made them multi-platform, or excluded features such as online co-op and DLC. They're therefore the lest desirable versions of these games in the eyes of some, which is combined with a comparatively small userbase.

We'll consider these issues in a feature later today but the raw numbers don't lie — the Wii U simply isn't making Ubisoft enough money and is worth less to the company than all other major home systems, including PC. That's why it's the one version of Watch_Dogs delayed once again.

[via ubisoftgroup.com]

The Wii U just hasnt generated revenue for Ubisoft. Delaying this game wont help at all and I would be pretty shocked now if it wasnt cancelled down the line.

Games don't generate revenue on WiiU when people offer gimped versions, late versions, over priced versions, no dlc, late DLC.....who would buy that version? its intentional sabotage by some....Ubisoft aren't as bad as EA that but they do that stuff themselves

why should i buy Watchdogs at all now? the WiiU version seemed the best fit for the games core idea of hacking, I wouldn't buy a PS4/Vita combo to do the same features (assuming that is even an option)...with it delayed for an unknown time, it will be cheaper on steam/consoles by the time its launched at full price on WiiU

I think this game might possibly be cancelled and this announcement is preparing us for that fate. Sales will be even worse now on the Wii U version. Who's going to wait for this if they've other platforms? They haven't said how long a delay it would be. We haven't seen a single clip/screenshot of the Wii U version. It's been handed out to Bucharest, how competent are they? Aliens: Colonial Marines anybody? And that could possibly be the last we see of Ubisoft this generation except for the obligatory Just Dance.

I've been saying for some time on here that I didn't think Watch Dogs would make it to Wii U. It's doesn't really bother me as I most likely would not have got it anyway, but it's symptomatic of the vicious circle that seems to be Wii U 3rd party releases.

With PS4/Xbox1/Wii U sales at a similar level at this point in time it was an opportunity to see a game released across all three platforms on a level playing field. Unfortunately, pretty much every 3rd party release thus far has seen the Wii U version hampered in one way or another.

Games don't generate revenue on WiiU when people offer gimped versions, late versions, over priced versions, no dlc, late DLC.....who would buy that version? its intentional sabotage by some....Ubisoft aren't as bad as EA that but they do that stuff themselves

why should i buy Watchdogs at all now? the WiiU version seemed the best fit for the games core idea of hacking, I wouldn't buy a PS4/Vita combo to do the same features (assuming that is even an option)...with it delayed for an unknown time, it will be cheaper on steam/consoles by the time its launched at full price on WiiU

ACIV was released the same time as every other platform and bombed. The latest COD also released the same time and bombed. Whether its Rayman, AC, Splinter Cell, Just Dance or even Zombie U, neither did very well on the Wii U and I dont think any blame could be sent Ubisofts way. They are one of the few third party publishers which released games on the Wii U. Wii U owners just didnt buy them.

Why is that Fifa 14 on XB1/PS4 which was released later than the 360/PS3 versions and has some missing modes has still sold really well yet the Fifa 13 which was released later on the Wii U bombed.

I dont think you can blame poor sales on the publishers.

Well this is a depressing notion for the industry...

The cynic in me says developers are squeezing Nintendo out of this industry owing to the fact that they can sell the same title on two similar systems.

When you see the dirty tricks surrounding FIFA 13’s reduced features on WiiU, Mass Effect 3 releasing for the same price as a trilogy on the PS360 and AC3 coming out after other versions, you kind of have to question third party developers who almost suckered Nintendo with software and perception troubles from the off.

It just doesn't sit right with me that we have a passionate industry full of opportunities yet the cost of creating games now negates taking any risks or potential opportunities. You know the model for the industry is a broken one when big sales are primarily the domain of the 'superpower' third party developers, but even then the industry costs hit them, resulting in not being able to bring ports to another machine. (And a machine that can, with a little effort, run titles that they have been producing for the past 7/8 years). :hmm:

Sure, we know Nintendo haven't made things easy for developers at all. Nintendo's unique approach to gaming (and their ideals on money hats) have a limited place in a system that is built on third parties easily extracting as much cash from us every year with an old dog in new clothes.

Nintendo and third parties are seemingly forever doomed to be at odds with each other. I just hope Nintendo can survive on their first party games - a hope that seems not to work when their console is priced in the wrong bracket. An industry without Nintendo, or an industry with Nintendo turning its attentions to things such as QOL products is a real shame for gamers afterall.

Sadly, it seems the days where the console industry was vibrant, varied and truly alive has come and gone.

As this industry has become commodified titles such as Dizzy the Egg, NewZealand Story, James Pond, ToeJam & Earl, Pop 'N Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventures, Goemon, and even sports games that didn't have to have real names and graphics, but could have great gameplay hooks, have fizzed out from the console scene. Probably when gaming went 'mainstream'?

The system is broken. Indie games and the App Store have brought some life to such titles (see the classic remakes on the App Store for example), but as a console owner, as they have pursued greater graphics and better technology, they seem to have left behind or chastised developers financially. In a creative industry this is awful.

And as much as Nintendo get slated for their use of IP, I'm thankful I have a 'fun' console where I can still enjoy titles such as Super Mario Brothers. In a fun, non-threatening manner where it doesn't have to be about online competitiveness and constant interruptions from other gamers messaging me. I just wish the industry would almost wake up from itself and see that variety is good for the creative industries and that sadly, in the pursuit of capital gains and greater computing 'power' as a selling point, we will lose what made this industry so special to start with.

Edited by tapedeck

ACIV was released the same time as every other platform and bombed. The latest COD also released the same time and bombed. Whether its Rayman, AC, Splinter Cell, Just Dance or even Zombie U, neither did very well on the Wii U and I dont think any blame could be sent Ubisofts way. They are one of the few third party publishers which released games on the Wii U. Wii U owners just didnt buy them.

Why is that Fifa 14 on XB1/PS4 which was released later than the 360/PS3 versions and has some missing modes has still sold really well yet the Fifa 13 which was released later on the Wii U bombed.

Yes you can partly 3rd party publishers. COD, Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed and countless others you didn't mention were gimped. Don't pretend otherwise. They've nearly all been gimped. FIFA 13? Same story. Rayman Legends sold best on Wii U despite their shananigans.

Watchdogs for me was going to be a Wii U purchase 1.) slightly to support the system 2.)because the gamepad seems ideally suited to the setup 3.) because it would be out at the same time as the others. Reasons to NOT buy Wii u would have been a.)less populated, and maybe worse, online. however knowing folks here I thought that might be ok to get around. However the latter aspect(online/multi/interaction) is something I really really am a fan of, and it's quite a killer decision for me to go Wii U just for supporting it - with the game now being delayed I don't know if I'll go with Wii U, and I imagine a lot of other folks might be similar to me. The biggest overriding feeling I have on Watch Dogs is pretty much that it looks like it's something interesting/different, and I want to get involved with that as everyone else is. I want to try this game and see if it does what it does well; it generally got more hype than most games have recently, and that hype is going to completely go against this decision to delay imo - demand will outstrip the patience/USPs of Wii U version.

I was well excited to see how it faired on an even release with the others, too, but oh well.

It just doesn't sit right with me that we have a passionate industry full of opportunities yet the cost of creating games now negates taking any risks or potential opportunities. You know the model for the industry is a broken one when big sales are primarily the domain of the 'superpower' third party developers, but even then the industry costs hit them, resulting in not being able to bring ports to another machine. (And a machine that can, with a little effort, run titles that they have been producing for the past 7/8 years). :hmm:

When money is thrown into the mix it complicates everything.

Survival can depend on entertainment creation, which is flawed beyond belief.

What happened to the days of creation without consequence?

granted there have a been a couple of games that have had release across platforms almost on a par, but when 99% of Wii U versions suffer for one reason or another then the general mindset is one of don't buy 3rd party games on Wii U. People are not going to go out of their way to find out if the odd title here or there are equal or better on Wii U.

Nintendo do have to take a chunk of the blame as this trend became such a big issue last gen because Wii just could not match the grunt of PS3 or 360 so the gimped version became the norm and it seems that publishers have not got out of the habit.

Yes you can partly 3rd party publishers. COD, Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed and countless others you didn't mention were gimped. Don't pretend otherwise. They've nearly all been gimped. FIFA 13? Same story. Rayman Legends sold best on Wii U despite their shananigans.

Rayman Legends sold better week 1 not sure about total.

I think its easy to try and find all kinds of excuses to why third party games havent sold many units but the reality is simply more about a Nintendo fanbase which doesnt really buy third party software.

I'm just not buying that all these wii u owners didnt buy games because they were gimped somehow. The majority of people wouldnt even know about certain things and would have no idea the game was any different to a version seen on another platform.

Walking away? A lot of developers never even turned up at all, those that did left early, heard there's a better party across town and Ubisoft's pretending they've just left to get more beers, ringing saying they'll be back soon. All the while they too are across town at the Sony/MS party and have no intention of coming back but don't want to hurt Nintendo's feelings.

Edited by Wii

How was/is the Wii U Gamepad being used in this game?

This is what is funny, no one knows, everyone's just presuming it's going to use it in amazing ways as it's a hacking game, and the character uses their mobile to do stuff. Using the gamepad DOES make sense. But it's highly unlikely it'll be anything more than a map and some quick link options... which will still be good. But just not what people seem to be expecting.