Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

inFamous: Second Son / First Light

Cube

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thoughts so far (Spoiler'd up for the benefit of those whom may not have played yet)

Just cleared out the Queens district of D.U.P soldiers. Collected everything, sprayed everything there is to do in Queens. And i've started the document hunting quest. Quite like running around the city spotting drug dealers, down'd civilians and all that. Story-wise, not that far into it. Heck i don't think i've even scraped the top layer off yet. I quite like this Delvin chap, but he's getting a little cocky with his new found powers.

The style of play for this reminds me a little of Prototype. I've not played an inFamous game before.

Game is awesome by the way.

AAAARGH!! I'm finding I really need to be cautious with my powers. I keep accidentally killing civilians. : P

Really loving it. Little things like how Delsin gives audio cues about running low on smoke or being in an area where there aren't any places to recharge your powers. It's so simple, but can't believe more games don't have more voice cues.

The touch pad (the DS4 on the whole) is utilised amazingly well. It doesn't feel like a gimmick, it adds something to the gameplay. Subtle but great.

Edit: Entered the second part of Seattle, done one mission and my save file says 48%. Already? Is this game supposed to be short?

Edited by drahkon

After three relatively short play-sessions everything has now started to 'click' with me with regards to inFamous Second Son being 'the same but different' to its predecessors, I now feel like I'm fully able to embrace the experience and just enjoy it as a whole. :)

Initially the overhauled control scheme threw me completely as I had been so used to gliding around in inFamous/2 by using the right shoulder button... so yes, many cinder rockets have been misfired during this transitional period. :heh: It all makes perfect sense though, gliding is now more like an extended 'double jump' being that it's assigned to the same button, turning into smoke is one of the coolest things 'ever' adding so much to the general way of play, climbing is simpler being that you no longer need to press the 'X' button quite as much; it's all just pretty slick overall... I'm loving it already. :heart:

The visuals are quite simply 'unreal' as in not that they aren't believable because they are but just the fact that I've always loved Sucker Punch for going with a style that's basically what I'd label as 'augmented realism' if I had to describe it, everything looks real but better than it should... essentially what I'm saying is that if I could live in a world as designed by the developers of this game then I would given the chance because it's such a vibrant vision which just manages to constantly uplift you during your time in the city, it's pure gaming magic. : peace:

I just have too much love and praise for this title already and I went into it with pretty high expectations after playing both previous games within the space of a week but I'm more than happy to say that inFamous Second Son just might be one of my favourite games not just of the moment but of all time, perhaps it's too early to say for sure but if my level of enjoyment from this title so far is anything to go by then I'd say it's a pretty safe bet. :heh:

Can't wait to play this some more tomorrow! :yay:

Has anyone else signed up to inFamous Paper Trail yet?

The site seems to be working now, you can link your PSN account to it and I gather it adds extra missions though I'm not sure at what point in the game you can access them at, there are other activities on the site too such as Conduit tests which you can gain Trophies on-site from in addition to completing the missions in-game when they are released, it all seems pretty decent. : peace:

You can earn Karma too though it's not clear if that's just an on-site thing or if you gain that in-game eventually though I don't see why not... all the Paper Trail stuff should be in-game via the day 1 patch if you've installed it yet, interestingly once you've installed it if you check the update history it actually states that you get the Cole's Legacy mission in there too, so much for it being exclusive limited edition DLC. :heh:

I'm glad that Sucker Punch decided to do this though as it only seems fair to include the content being that it's probably quite significant. :)

Anyway, back to the game! : peace:

interestingly once you've installed it if you check the update history it actually states that you get the Cole's Legacy mission in there too, so much for it being exclusive limited edition DLC. :heh:

I think it's just the data for those missions, meaning that unless you have entered the pre-order bonus code you can't access Cole's Legacy.

Not sure about that, though.

You can earn Karma too though it's not clear if that's just an on-site thing or if you gain that in-game eventually though I don't see why not...

You get Karma in-game :p But it's not much.

Completely cleared the first island :) Now on to the next.

Edited by drahkon

Has anyone else signed up to inFamous Paper Trail yet?

The site seems to be working now, you can link your PSN account to it and I gather it adds extra missions though I'm not sure at what point in the game you can access them at, there are other activities on the site too such as Conduit tests which you can gain Trophies on-site from in addition to completing the missions in-game when they are released, it all seems pretty decent. : peace:

I've done the first papertrail mission in the game. It was interesting. The other missions will be unlocked in the coming weeks.

Completed it. Felt a little bit short but at the same time it was probably a better game for it. Just wish it lasted longer. I'm glad Paper Trail exists. Means there's reason to keep playing this for the next month or so.

Completed it. Felt a little bit short but at the same time it was probably a better game for it. Just wish it lasted longer. I'm glad Paper Trail exists. Means there's reason to keep playing this for the next month or so.

Literally just finished it myself, I agree with you on the length but wow... what a game! :D

Easily makes the PS4 worth every penny paid for it, I'm really tempted to start another save file and play through it as evil though I may wait a while, as you say though at least we have Paper Trail and I'm even tempted to see if I can acquire a dlc code for Cole's Legacy after discovering that it wasn't included in the update as I assumed, ah well it'll get added to PSN at a later date I'm sure. :)

Overall though I really enjoyed inFamous Second Son a lot, indeed I've enjoyed my time with the whole series over the past few weeks and I would recommend the games to anyone/everyone because they are just that good. : peace:

So quite soon after finishing this I decided to just start on my Evil run on Expert difficulty being that the only trophies I have left are the ones for making all the evil choice in the story plus the one for getting to level 5 evil karma; turns out that Expert mode is actually quite challenging though... which is good but I decided to take a 'break' and play inFamous Festival of Blood which I finished completely moments ago. :heh:

Back to Second Son I go... hopefully I should have a code for the Cole's Legacy mission pack in a couple of days which I'll be keen to play once it arrives, until then I'm just going to work my way through this glorious game once again. :D

With any luck this will be the first ever game that I actually manage to get a Platinum trophy for. : peace:

I'm finding Expert surprisingly easy. I'm running through it again so I can nab the Platinum, too. Just got Neon. I'm kind of dreading the fight with the second conduit.

I'm a few hours into my expert run now, yeah it's not that bad once you get a few upgrades, initially though I was finding it tough when you start out with next to nothing and you just feel like... 'give me back my powers!' :(

But it's cool, very much enjoying playing it a second time, nice not to have to worry about killing stupid civilians who would always seem to somehow get in the way, now it's just a case of rockets away! Kaboom! :grin:

Oh also I've been noticing other small details in the world even now such as when you find a play area in one of the first districts...

The artwork on the walls features Sly Raccoon.

The small attention to detail just makes this game all the more spectacular, visually it's almost too good, the draw distance even when you're at the top of the very highest building in the game is nothing short of incredible. :D

Also as you mentioned before, the audio cues are really useful in addition to being quite amusing at times.

I think I'm playing it wrong as I don't seem to be progressing much. Oh well, enjoying it anyway!

Initially I tend to go with the story missions just to get powered up a bit, after that though I've found the 'best' way - for me - is to clear out the map a District at a time - first going for the DUP, shards, then the other stuff - then after I've cleared one I'll use all the shards to upgrade loads of stuff before moving onto the next one. :)

That's just me though, sometimes it can be fun to just run around, do a few of the street tags, kill a few drug dealers/civilians and just generally have fun, if you're enjoying it then that's the main thing. : peace:

Still working my way through my evil play through, loving it although I took a break from it for a bit yesterday so I could play the Cole's Legacy missions which are actually really good, I just hope that they do put them up for general release somewhere down the line so everyone can play them.

A new patch seems to be available today which adds the second Paper Trail mission, can't wait to give that a go once it's finished downloading. :D

Some good additions being patched in.

Unlike other open world titles, inFAMOUS: Second Son doesn’t feature a dynamic day and night cycle. This means that the time at which you play is heavily dependent on your progress through the campaign, but once you’ve completed it, you’re forced to bask in the Seattle sunshine. Fortunately, developer Sucker Punch has heard your customisation cries, and is aiming to implement a toggle that will allow you to play at whichever preset period you like.

Other enhancements in the impending patch will allow you to switch off the heads-up display, which should come in especially handy if you’re a budding PlayStation 4 photographer. You’ll also be able to cap the framerate at 30 frames-per-second, meaning that you’ll no longer experience any judder when the release occasionally climbs above that. This is something that most people won’t even notice, but the option’s appreciated all the same.

Elsewhere, company co-founder Brian Fleming hinted that there may be other improvements on the way. “Of course, our coders and quality assurance team are working to try to identify and resolve key bugs, and we’ll look at incorporating important fixes in the patch too,” he explained on the PlayStation Blog. “And who knows… if we’re inspired enough, we may sneak a few other little things in.” In other words, keep your eyes peeled for even more Easter eggs.

There’s no exact date attached to the update just yet, but the Sly Cooper creator concludes that it should be done in about two weeks. Is there anything else that you’d like to see improved, fixed, or tweaked as part of this patch? Try not to burn out in the comments section below.

Initially I tend to go with the story missions just to get powered up a bit, after that though I've found the 'best' way - for me - is to clear out the map a District at a time - first going for the DUP, shards, then the other stuff - then after I've cleared one I'll use all the shards to upgrade loads of stuff before moving onto the next one. :)

That's just me though, sometimes it can be fun to just run around, do a few of the street tags, kill a few drug dealers/civilians and just generally have fun, if you're enjoying it then that's the main thing. : peace:

Still working my way through my evil play through, loving it although I took a break from it for a bit yesterday so I could play the Cole's Legacy missions which are actually really good, I just hope that they do put them up for general release somewhere down the line so everyone can play them.

A new patch seems to be available today which adds the second Paper Trail mission, can't wait to give that a go once it's finished downloading. :D

I think we are playing in a similar way. I'm clearing each district on the way to some of the story missions (DUP, Shards etc). Once each region is clear from DUP, does anyone else go around and smash as much DUP stuff up afterwards. Or is it just me?

I'm borrowing this off a work colleague, I started it on Wednesday night, at the end of play last night I'd got up to 73% complete with one district remaining to cleanse. Only got 2 powers so far.

Don't know why but I've felt the urge to remove the DUP first than progress the story (other than progressing the story enough to get to the 2nd part of Seattle)

I love it though, the way they've implemented different features to maximize the use of the DS4 is amazing.

My first moment of graffiti was slightly terrible, but I wasn't aware that shaking the control re-aligns the target.

Neon looks stunning in motion and that bad karma neon "finisher" is just incredible.

That said I would of thought the DUP zones would get tougher the more you did? But they really don't. The last one I have to do has 2 mobile command units, so guess this one will be a tough one.

Struggled with the undercover agents until I unlocked Neon, a doddle to keep up with them now.

So So good though, looks beautiful in motion. Loving it!

That reminds me, I must go back to this and finish it a second time on my Evil playthrough, I've taken a break from it over the last few days to focus on reviews but I'm sure it won't be long before I'm back in Seattle cracking skulls, though I'm not looking forward to the part just before you get your third power as I'm sure that's going to be at least a bit of a challenge... not that I don't like games being difficult here and there just that I remember that part to be more like... 'argh dammit I almost had it, only a few hits away!' and that was on Normal, so should be 'fun' on Expert, otherwise though it hasn't been too bad on the difficulty front. :)

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!