NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Xenoblade Chronicles X (4th Dec)

Man, the faces in this game are simply horrific.

xenobladex_1501291_r.jpg

Whoever designed these wants fired. They honestly look like some freaky plastic dolls. The faces in Xenoblade were pretty ropey as well but now it's in HD they look even worse.

In regards to online, I took this from the Gaf topic.

I was hoping for something like MH or Phantasy Star but sadly that doesn't seem to be the case. :(

Really hoping that interpretation is wrong, passive online is gonna be wank.

Xenoblade Chronicles X director on loading time, party size, online, music

Famitsu has a major feature on Xenoblade Chronicles X in this week’s issue. In addition to a new preview, the magazine shared an interview with director Tetsuya Takahashi.

One of the things Famitsu brings up is how Takahashi called the original Xenoblade “an orthodox RPG”, even though the field was huge and there were a number of different challenges. Takahashi says in response that the story of the original Xenoblade Chronicles “was one big thread so I think it was a linear game.” But in Xenoblade Chronicles X, “the story progresses in various directions as you finish quests which you get from different places.”

Famitsu next brings up the topic of loading. Takahashi confirms that players will be able to cross the huge world from one end to another without having to load data… for the most part anyway.

He said:

Moving on the field is completely seamless. However, loading occurs in cases like event scenarios. I recommend playing the downloadable version so you don’t have to worry about loading from the disk. Of course, the disk version is also tuned as much as possible to reduce the loading time. We are consulting Nintendo as to whether or not the main data can be read from the console.

Another topic discussed in Famitsu’s interview is the size of the game’s party, which is four. Takahashi explains why this number was chosen:

Considering combinations of classes and builds, the party of four was well balanced. In battle, you control one character from those four and the other three are left for AI. Similar to the previous game, you can also select which character to control. In a pinch, AI characters also shout encouragements according to their personality. Voice actors were asked to record unreasonably many lines, so the battles turned out to be lively like in the previous game.

Something Xenoblade fans have been interested in is the prospect of online functionality. However, Takahashi is quick to point out that Xenoblade Chronicles X “isn’t an online game where you are firmly connected to other players.” Monolith Soft took the concept of a “loosely connected online game”. Takahashi says: “After all, the game brings out collectively without players noticing other people, so the playstyle of an online RPG wasn’t used as a base.”

Finally, let’s talk a bit about Xenoblade Chronicles X’s music. Famitsu points out that Hiroyuki Sawano hasn’t worked much on game music, to which Takahashi states:

That’s right. He has strong image from working on anime titles like Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, Guilty Crown, and Attack on Titan, but for me he is a drama person. He is responsible for the music of Team Medical Dragon and such. I thought that drama-like music would surely shine in this game so I asked him as I had nothing to lose.

When Famitsu asks about how Sawano is flexible with his work, Takahashi replies:

Usually people who haven’t written game music react like “Why so many compositions for a game (RPG)?”, but Mr. Sawano was the opposite: “Understood. Please let me do them all.” (laughs) This time there are 90 compositions and I thought he could write only a part of them, so I’m really happy.

Xenoblade Chronicles X launches in Japan on April 29. The RPG is on track for later this year in North America and Europe.

http://nintendoeverything.com/xenoblade-chronicles-x-director-on-loading-time-party-size-online-music/

Not gonna watch it (I've seen enough now). I'm just hoping for a release date...

Oh and for those people complaining about the doll like faces, have you ever considered the possibility that it has been done on purpose? You do realise that everyone pilots a mech called a "Doll" right? Perhaps there's a story reason why all the humans seem to also look like dolls... (or it could just be artistic license, channelling that Gerry Anderson vibe that Redshell mentioned earlier :p)

Edited by Dcubed

Not gonna watch it (I've seen enough now). I'm just hoping for a release date...

Oh and for those people complaining about the doll like faces, have you ever considered the possibility that it has been done on purpose? You do realise that everyone pilots a mech called a "Doll" right? Perhaps there's a story reason why all the humans seem to also look like dolls... (or it could just be artistic license, channelling that Gerry Anderson vibe that Redshell mentioned earlier :p)

Japan only. Japan has a release date: April 29th

I just hope it actually does come out in Europe sometime this year.

If the localisation delay ends up being the same as the original Xenoblade (1 year and 2 months) that would make the European release date for Xenoblade Chronicles X 8.7.2016! :shakehead

I just hope it actually does come out in Europe sometime this year.

If the localisation delay ends up being the same as the original Xenoblade (1 year and 2 months) that would make the European release date for Xenoblade Chronicles X 8.7.2016! :shakehead

It'll be this year :)

Stream embed

Unlike Xenoblade, Xenoblade Chronicles X Will Track Your Playtime Beyond 100 Hours

Xenoblade Chronicles X director Koh Kojima took to Twitter earlier today to follow up on a comment made by executive director Tetsuya Takahashi in Famitsu magazine.

“As always, thank you to the users for their support. I’m Xenoblade Chronicles X’s director, Kojima,” he wrote. “The embargo on a lot of information pertaining to the game has been lifted, so I will be talking about it here.”

“First of all, as a greeting, I’ll talk about the game’s playtime display. There was talk about how, now matter how long you played, Xenoblade Chronicles would be completed in 99 hours and 59 minutes. And so, we’ve changed that this time around.”

Here, Kojima is referring to a bug of sorts in the original Xenoblade Chronicles, where the game wouldn’t keep track of your playtime beyond 99 hours and 59 minutes. It appears Monolith have made sure to avoid this issue in Xenoblade Chronicles X.

“In the Famitsu interview a few days ago, Takahashi mentioned the time of ‘300 hours’ and of course the playtime will be properly displayed [this time around],” Kojima continued. “Of course, we’ve made it so there will be no problems even if you play beyond that amount of time.”

We’ll learn much more about Xenoblade Chronicles X this week. Nintendo will be streaming a presentation on the game this Friday in Japan, and we’ll be covering the event as it happens.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/02/02/unlike-xenoblade-xenoblade-chronicles-x-will-track-your-playtime-beyond-100-hours/

I don't remember noticing my playtime log stopping at 99 hours and 59 minutes. Maybe it was a problem with the Japanese copy of the game.

Yeah, that wasn't an issue in our version.

I distinctly remember seeing over 100 hours during my second play through.

Xenoblade Chronicles X Shares A Look At A New Character And Some Concept Art

Monolith Soft have been sharing the latest tidbits of info on Xenoblade Chronicles X through their official website, and its latest update provides a look into one of the game’s key characters and some concept artwork by Hideyuki Matsumoto.

Maurice:

xenobladex_150205.jpg

Maurice is a bureaucrat of the former United States Secretary of Defense, who then became the assistant to the President.

xenobladex_1502058.jpg

Afterwards, he used his previous position as a way to appoint himself as the chief administrator commissioner of NLA (New Los Angeles) and is now the representative of mankind on the Planet Mira.

The official website also shared some concept art by Hideyuki Matsumoto, who worked on weapon designs and NLA gadgets for Xenoblade Chronicles X. Here’s a look at his artwork:

xenobladex_1502052.jpg

xenobladex_1502051.jpg

xenobladex_1502053.jpg

xenobladex_1502054.jpg

xenobladex_1502055.jpg

xenobladex_1502056.jpg

xenobladex_1502057.jpg

Xenoblade Chronicles X will release in Japan on April 29, 2015 and in North America and Europe later this year for Wii U.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/02/05/xenoblade-chronicles-x-shares-look-new-character-concept-art/

http://xenobladex.jp/index.html

I'm really worried about this. The game was a dead certainty for me, but I've become increasingly worried the more that I've seen. It doesn't seem to have that same charm or wow feeling when I look at the world as Xenoblade Chronicles did.

Think this one will go down to previews and reviews.

Xenoblade Chronicles X has a full enemy encyclopedia

In making the original Xenoblade Chronicles, Monolith Soft wanted to include a full enemy encyclopedia. The team sadly ran out of development time so it wasn’t in the final game.

In new tweets published on the Xenoblade Chronicles X Twitter account by Monolith Soft’s Kojima, it’s confirmed that the RPG will feature an enemy encyclopedia. Players will be able to view 3D models of monsters they encounter, check what drop items they have, and more. Koh Kojima also teased that Xenoblade Chronicles 3D will include this as well.

http://nintendoeverything.com/xenoblade-chronicles-x-has-a-full-enemy-encyclopedia/

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=150699410&postcount=1006

That's a nice feature. We've already seen footage of it for Xenoblade Chronicles 3D. The models in that game sorry to say are ugly. The new 3DS just isn't powerful enough. But I've no doubt the feature on the Wii U will be beautiful.

I'm really worried about this. The game was a dead certainty for me, but I've become increasingly worried the more that I've seen. It doesn't seem to have that same charm or wow feeling when I look at the world as Xenoblade Chronicles did.

I'm not quite where you are, but I do feel a bit closer to it as I see more and more. The big US focus is actually starting to put me off somewhat too.

Remember the Xenoblade Chronicles X presentation is being streamed live at 1 p.m. UK time today.

But its not going to be the same as Xenoblade Chronicles though. Also it's going to be difficult to be equally wowed by a sequel than the original game as you have already experienced the basis of it.

I know i'm not going to be wowed as was with Xenoblade Chronicles but im not worried in the slightest about the quality of the game.

Personally I think Xenoblade Chronicles X is going to amaze me more than the first game because as much as I enjoyed the fifty plus hours I spent on Xenoblade Chronicles I couldn't help but think that this was a game not allowed to reach its full potential. :(

Monolith did a terrific job of working with what they were given but I can help but think that for how nice the game looked for its art direction, it was ultimately let down by the hardware which is why I was hoping that the first game might get a re-release in HD for the Wii U or at least an up-scaled digital Wii version; but instead we're getting the New 3DS version. :blank:

But at least Xenoblade Chronicles X should turn out to be everything that the first game could have been and more in terms of graphical capability alone, the rest of the game seems to be shaping up really nicely as well which I'm pleased to see. :)

It's just a shame that if anyone wants to play the first game, it always feels like a trade-off whichever version you end up choosing. ::shrug:

Personally I think Xenoblade Chronicles X is going to amaze me more than the first game because as much as I enjoyed the fifty plus hours I spent on Xenoblade Chronicles I couldn't help but think that this was a game not allowed to reach its full potential. :(

Monolith did a terrific job of working with what they were given but I can help but think that for how nice the game looked for its art direction, it was ultimately let down by the hardware which is why I was hoping that the first game might get a re-release in HD for the Wii U or at least an up-scaled digital Wii version; but instead we're getting the New 3DS version. :blank:

But at least Xenoblade Chronicles X should turn out to be everything that the first game could have been and more in terms of graphical capability alone, the rest of the game seems to be shaping up really nicely as well which I'm pleased to see. :)

It's just a shame that if anyone wants to play the first game, it always feels like a trade-off whichever version you end up choosing. ::shrug:

Definitely share your sentiments on the limitations of the Wii for XC, but what they managed to squeeze out of it as a game and an experience for me really was rather remarkable - I definitely would have welcomed a WiiU HD remake over the N3DS any day, but there's lots of things I seem to want that never arrive these days.

I think my concern is really that, now with the greater hardware and less limitations compared to the first, would they somehow manage to mess it up? Like...will it be what XC could have been(tbh other than graphically I can't fault much of that game), superior, inferior? I just have to keep reminding myself of the immense quality I found in XC though, and that might be hard to live up to, but being less than it this could still nonetheless be an absolutely amazing game. This will without a doubt still be a day 1 purchase for me, taking priority over even Zelda(which I'll ofc get, but I'm more keen to support this first, if that makes any sense).

Speaking of that - what are we expecting first of the two? Zelda or this? Would be a bit gutted if I end up lapping one over the other, ideally I'd probably take XCX first and hopefully complete it before picking up Zelda.

Up to 32 players can be passively connected to exchange strategic information or items. Four players can do quests together.

Wonder if it gets voice chat...

d64.gif

Just caught a bit of that presentation, looks the absolute business as far as the over world is concerned :)

Japan getting a console bundle too!

Cool.

Does it have voice chat?

*kicks hornets nest and runs off*

#XenobladeX supports GamePad, #WiiU Pro Controller, USB keyboard. Miiverse support. Off-TV play. 720p.

Seems it's USB Keyboard only for communication

Hold on, so it's online co-op but there's no voice chat..?

I'm interested in this for the single player experience so I'll still get the game if this is the case but still, what a joke if true.

Edited by Kav

Yes!!!! This is the news I wanted. Online coop. Consider my excitement cranked a notch.

I'm even getting used to the faces. :)

No voice chat is an annoyance and continues to beggar belief, but I will be on the phone so I can live with it.

Hold on, so it's online co-op but there's no voice chat..?

I'm interested in this for the single player experience so I'll still get the game if this is the case but still, what a joke if true.

Just think that it's 2001 again and you are playing Phantasy Star Online. :D