N-Europe

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD

Retro_Link

Hmm, I sold my original copy of the Wind Waker because I assumed... as should be the case... that we'll be getting Gamecube games on the Virtual Console*; well that and I haven't played it since it came out.

But I always looked at the re-release as the time when I would play through the game again and for it to feel fresh.

Due to this HD remake however, do you think they'll even bother putting the original version on the Virtual Console?

*I probably shouldn't have relied on Nintendo to do this, having still not heard any mention of it.

Only Nintendo!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The top image is being run through Dolphin, fairly sure. There's something not quite right about the remake. I don't know is it less toony/cel shaded or if it's the lighting. Can't put my finger on it.

It's called being a single screen shot of an early build of a game. Things tend to be this way...

I'm constantly told that. What I mean is, did you have the version with Ocarina of Time? I can't imagine anyone wanting to sell that.
Ah right, yeah I did have that version.

But yeah I still have Ocarina of Time for the N64 so I might as well just play that version if I ever wanted to. Also it literally was just sitting there never being played, I'd rather us it to buy a couple of other games.

Wind Waker's a strange one, at the time it didn't quite sit right with me. With the radical change in visual style (which I did like however), pirate theme, and very young looking Link, coming off the back of Ocarina and Majora's Mask as the only Zelda games I'd played I think I struggled to fully accept it as a Zelda game. I think I had a bit of a problem with this not being the same Link.

I've got used to this however over subsequent Zelda's, as well as coming to appreciate Wind Waker even more.

It feel like time to replay it. Just hope Nintendo do put the original version up on the eShop.

Yeah of course they will. Kirby Superstar got released on the VC just a year after its DS remake got released :)
Fingers crossed then! :)

We don't even know if it's from a build of the game.
Though you would probably assume it is at least the general style they're aiming for, for the remake, because otherwise it's likely they would have shown us several different concepts and HD experiments they've been working on for it.

Assuming Nintendo are even planning on putting Gamecube games in the Virtual Console (have they confirmed this?), I imagine they'll put up the original Wind Waker, but not till a year or two after the remake's release. Why spend £40 when you can have pretty much the same game for 10ish quid.

Assuming Nintendo are even planning on putting Gamecube games in the Virtual Console (have they confirmed this?), I imagine they'll put up the original Wind Waker, but not till a year or two after the remake's release. Why spend £40 when you can have pretty much the same game for 10ish quid.

They've not said anything about GameCube virtual console.

Updates like this can breathe new life into a game, so you have all the nostalgia without the game feeling dates. It also brings the game to a new audience, who may nave not played at all.

The Twin Snakes is a great example of a remake. I would have had no desire to play the archaic Metal Gear Solid, but The Twin Snakes looked (and played) great.

Also, you can pretty much get any new game for 10ish quid or less if you wait two years.

The Twin Snakes is a great example of a remake. I would have had no desire to play the archaic Metal Gear Solid, but The Twin Snakes looked (and played) great.

Twin Snakes is one of the games I wanted on the GCN VC. I re-played MGS a few months back, fantastic game but a Twin Snakes remake would be excellent.

Yeah of course they will. Kirby Superstar got released on the VC just a year after its DS remake got released :)

Then again, Diddy Kong Racing never appeared on Wii VC and I was always told that was probably because of the DS remake :P

We can all hope for the best though!

Nintendo have a very difficult decision on their hands. If they don't cel-shade this, it's definitely going to lose some of that deep-blue sea, glowing-white-eyed magic from the original. If they do, they'll lose the subtlety they've achieved in these screenshots, like the reefs and the nuanced shading.

I genuinely don't think GameCube will come to Virtual Console, especially now I've seen this. Wind Waker is considered the No.1 GC title by many, and lots of the others use the analogue triggers. The main Nintendo one that doesn't is Metroid Prime and, as much as I'd rather play an HD version of the GameCube original, Nintendo will probably think "They can play the Wii version" (like Twilight Princess). I don't think this is a good thing, it's just my prediction.

As for Ocarina of Time, I've still got my bonus disc version. That's the best release of it so far, isn't it? It's higher-res than the N64 original and (unlike the Virtual Console edition - correct me if I'm wrong), it has rumble. That's a point - we don't even know if they can do rumble on the VC yet.

Nintendo have a very difficult decision on their hands. If they don't cel-shade this, it's definitely going to lose some of that deep-blue sea, glowing-white-eyed magic from the original. If they do, they'll lose the subtlety they've achieved in these screenshots, like the reefs and the nuanced shading.

I genuinely don't think GameCube will come to Virtual Console, especially now I've seen this. Wind Waker is considered the No.1 GC title by many, and lots of the others use the analogue triggers. The main Nintendo one that doesn't is Metroid Prime and, as much as I'd rather play an HD version of the GameCube original, Nintendo will probably think "They can play the Wii version" (like Twilight Princess). I don't think this is a good thing, it's just my prediction.

As for Ocarina of Time, I've still got my bonus disc version. That's the best release of it so far, isn't it? It's higher-res than the N64 original and (unlike the Virtual Console edition - correct me if I'm wrong), it has rumble. That's a point - we don't even know if they can do rumble on the VC yet.

Other than the 3DS remakes! ;)

If Nintendo don't bring the Gamecube to the virtual console it's a HUGE mistake!

It would be a big draw for many people having such a rich Nintendo back catalogue on there! I know personally that it would pretty much guarantee me picking up the console.

It would also not do anything to reassure me that Nintendo have/are learning any lessons, which would put me off the Wii U even more.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!