N-Europe

National Lottery to double in price

Dog-amoto

http://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/p/lottonews.ftl

Exciting changes to Lotto are coming in autumn 2013!

Later this year you will have even more ways to win more money on Lotto.

Bigger prizes for matching three numbers

The prize for matching three numbers will more than double, from £10* to £25*.

Bigger jackpots

The average Saturday jackpot is expected to be around £5 million, and Wednesday jackpots will be around £2.5 million, following the changes to the game.

A new Lotto raffle

At least 50 winners will scoop a guaranteed £20,000 in each Lotto draw, with hundreds more winners created on Rollovers.

As a result of these exciting changes, the cost of a Lotto line will increase to £2 – the first rise since the game launched in 1994.

There will also be changes to the average prizes for matching four and five numbers, and five numbers plus the Bonus Ball.

What won't change, though, is how you play Lotto. You will still choose six numbers from 49, and the draws will still take place every Wednesday and Saturday. For every Lotto line you buy, you will automatically receive an entry into the raffle.

View the prize tiers following the planned changes to Lotto

Frequently Asked Questions about the changes

* The prize for matching three numbers will remain fixed. In exceptional circumstances, however, if the available Prize Fund is not enough to pay every Match 3 winning entry in a Lotto draw, then the prizes paid out will be shared equally between all winning entries, and may therefore be less than stated. In the 18 years of the current Lotto game we have never had to invoke this change.

Personally, I've not played it for well over 15 years as I think it's a tax on hope, but I'm sure this'll piss a few people off. I remember buying a ticket for its first ever draw in 1994, (as it was a big deal back then) and it was a pound then, and has been ever since. I once taught someone to drive who won £5million but other than that, I don't know anybody who has got more than even 4 numbers.

I know the prize for 3 numbers is now £25, but the chances of you winning that are still quite slim.

So with the increase in price, will this put you off playing if you don't already play as it is? If you currently buy 2 lines, will you revert back to one, or pay the extra?

Later this year you will have even more ways to win more money on Lotto.

More ways to win at the cost of a higher ticket, but the same chances of winning what could potentially be a sub £10 amount. Hopefully this opens a lot more peoples eyes to this sham.

It's not exciting, it's all about cutting down the total amount paid out when people match 3 numbers. Don't fix what isn't broken.

EDIT: DISREGARD THIS I SUCK AT READING COMPREHENSION

Edited by Debug Mode

This is silly, why fix what ain't broke? Admittedly I very very rarely play the lottery, though I was recently considering going mental and dropping a year's worth of money on a single draw to see what comes of it - and I noticed how palty the jackpots sometimes are! Seems that nobody's really playing, and this is a way to bring in more money for them really. They probably won't double all the prizes, so it means effectively they're pocketing more, no?

Rummy, the jackpots are based off of how many people enter, it's done based on a percentage of the total money spent. According to Wikipedia:

All prizes are paid as a lump sum and are tax-free. Of every pound (£) spent on National Lottery games, 50 pence (p) goes to the prize fund, 28p to 'good causes' as set out by Parliament (though some of this is considered by some to be a stealth tax levied to support the Big Lottery Fund, a fund constituted to support public spending), 12p to the UK Government as duty and 5p to retailers as commission, while Camelot receives 4.5p to cover operating costs and 0.5p profit.

If this price increase means more money going to charitable causes, then good. Besides, the value of £1 has decreased significantly since 1994 because of inflation so they were bound to increase the price sooner or later.

EXCITING CHANGES.

HEY AREN'T THESE CHANGES EXCITING.

THEY'RE SO EXCITING WE HAVE TO CHARGE YOU MORE TO CONTAIN ALL THE EXCITEMENT.

My parents play the Lottery with my grandmother and only occasionally win small amounts of money. Every time I ask them why they keep playing if they never win anything substantial, they'll tell the story of when my grandmother won £500 fifteen years ago.

It's a bit of a money-grabbing motive. Some people who play the lottery are considering removing their Direct debits and not playing the lottery anymore due to this rise. Yes, i know it's only a £1.

It's an increase of 100%.

This is silly, why fix what ain't broke?

How's your Nokia 3210 holding up? It's still a functional phone and can send text messages! What more do you need?

The "ain't broke, don't fix it" statement/mentality should be banned from being said.

It's a bit of a money-grabbing motive. Some people who play the lottery are considering removing their Direct debits and not playing the lottery anymore due to this rise. Yes, i know it's only a £1.

I just know that my flatmate is going to come home tonight and complain about this as he's an avid lottery player. I'm just going to say the same thing I do about every other price hike that he doesn't understand. They only need 50% of the current lottery playing population to carry on and they've got the same amount of money.

That ticket you paid a pound for in 1994 is actually £1.63 adjusted for inflation (2011) and the whole "money-grabbing motive". The majority of the money goes to the winner, then the next biggest receiver of money is charitable causes.

You can't convince me that this is a bad idea.

How's your Nokia 3210 holding up? It's still a functional phone and can send text messages! What more do you need?

The "ain't broke, don't fix it" statement/mentality should be banned from being said.

Actually I was still rocking an old school nokia until aroundabout summer last year, then it broke(couldn't fix it) :p

I just know that my flatmate is going to come home tonight and complain about this as he's an avid lottery player. I'm just going to say the same thing I do about every other price hike that he doesn't understand. They only need 50% of the current lottery playing population to carry on and they've got the same amount of money.

That ticket you paid a pound for in 1994 is actually £1.63 adjusted for inflation (2011) and the whole "money-grabbing motive". The majority of the money goes to the winner, then the next biggest receiver of money is charitable causes.

You can't convince me that this is a bad idea.

I'm not out to convince anyone, i only play once in a while so it's not going to affect me at all. Yes this increase will raise the lower prizes, but keep the chances of winning at the same level. I can't remember, did people moan in general when Euromillions went from £1.50 to £2 (or is it £3).

And @Cube, i know. Won't make a difference to me, a once in a while player.

Apparently they are cutting some higher prizes;

Lotto ticket price doubles to £2 in 'tax on the poor': Angry players threaten boycott over increase

Prize pot for matching five numbers will drop by £500 to £1,000

Five numbers and the bonus number win will halve to £50,000

The price is set to rise in the Autumn

Players have taken to Twitter to complain about the price hike

More than 1,000 angry players have vented their fury on Facebook

The rise has been condemned as a 'tax on the poor'

Lotto charities say they are reassured it will 'boost' the money they receive

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2263367/Lottery-ticket-price-doubles-2-tax-poor.html#ixzz2IJyzItIg

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I know, daily mail, but it's first thing I found. Haven't actually read that either yet.