NEurope
Hero-of-Time

General Gaming Sales/Charts Discussion

The end of the fiscal year is the end of March I believe and that 5.5 million is what's the predicted total. That's absolutely miles off what Nintendo's forecast was.

It's the best there is until NPD figures are available for the U.S and where else can European figures as a whole be got?

But what is there source? Where are they getting the numbers from? I remember seeing there numbers before in comparison to a NPD report and they were way out. Numbers were not even close.

UK SOFTWARE LIFE TO DATE: WII U 650K, XBOX ONE 475K, PS4 75K (PRE-LAUNCH)

uk_software_life_to_date.png

Gamasutra has revealed just how much software was sold in the United Kingdom for dedicated gaming platforms. The Wii U has only managed to shift 650,000 units of software after being on the market for a year. The Xbox One hasn’t fared too badly, as it has already sold 475,000 games in the UK. However, it should be noted that Chart Track have included the Forza 5 and FIFA 14 bundles. You can check out all the formats software sales from Gamasutra in the chart above.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/12/06/uk-software-life-to-date-wii-u-650k-xbox-one-475k-ps4-75k-pre-launch/

Not good at all for Wii U, not even close.

It's really quite something that the PS4 sold nearly 20% of the amount of software the Wii U sold in a year...before the PS4 itself even got released.

It's not just that, the DS has more than double the sales and Wii has nearly triple the sales despite not being really supported anymore bar a handful of games. Nevermind the competition absolutely pulverizing the Wii U.

Wii U software sales are really bad. I know its a small install base but that small install base doesnt buy games.

The 3DS numbers should be much better as well considering the hardware which is sold.

Someone mentioned on gaf how Nintendo dont give retailers a sale and return option and thats why even though the 3DS is a healthy platform the shelf presence isnt as high as should be as retailers will only order in the most recognized titles.

Nintendo also should look at the pricing of 3DS games here. I think they should really try and price some games @ £20 - £25 and see if that changes anything. The UK seems to be a place where people really moved onto smartphones/tablets and have now became accustomed to the race to the bottom pricing on ios/android. Paying £35 - £40 for a 3DS title is a tough sell over here it seems.

True, Tearaway on Vita launched at £20 which made it really attractive.

They just launched at the wrong time as the game bombed. Shouldnt of put it out in between the XB1/PS4 launched. However yes the price was attractive and I think Nintendo are really going to have to look at doing things like that in the UK if they want software sales to pick up.

Well, it's on the Vita so it probably never was going to sell amazingly. It's just another notch on the 'reasons to buy a Vita' list, which keeps growing and growing.

TOP 40 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE - INDIVIDUAL FORMATS (UNITS), WEEK ENDING 7 December 2013

LW

TW Title Format Label Publisher

3 1 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS XB360 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

8 2 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS PS3 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

- 3 GRAN TURISMO 6 PS3 SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.

1 4 KILLZONE: SHADOW FALL PS4 SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.

7 5 FIFA 14 XB360 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS

13 6 JUST DANCE 2014 WII UBISOFT UBISOFT

2 7 FIFA 14 PS4 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS

10 8 GRAND THEFT AUTO V XB360 ROCKSTAR TAKE 2

5 9 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS PS4 ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

14 10 MINECRAFT: XBOX 360 EDITION XB360 MICROSOFT MICROSOFT

9 11 FIFA 14 XB ONE EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS

15 12 GRAND THEFT AUTO V PS3 ROCKSTAR TAKE 2

12 13 BATTLEFIELD 4 XB360 EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS

16 14 FIFA 14 PS3 EA SPORTS ELECTRONIC ARTS

4 15 BATTLEFIELD 4 PS4 EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS

21 16 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG XB360 UBISOFT UBISOFT

19 17 LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES XB360 WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE

6 18 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG PS4 UBISOFT UBISOFT

25 19 BATMAN: ARKHAM ORIGINS XB360 WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE

- 20 WWE 2K14 XB360 2K SPORTS TAKE 2

23 21 BATTLEFIELD 4 PS3 EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS

17 22 CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS XB ONE ACTIVISION ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

34 23 TOMB RAIDER XB360 SQUARE ENIX SQUARE ENIX EUROPE

33 24 FOOTBALL MANAGER 2014 PC SEGA SEGA

29 25 ASSASSIN'S CREED IV: BLACK FLAG PS3 UBISOFT UBISOFT

18 26 KNACK PS4 SONY COMPUTER ENT. SONY COMPUTER ENT.

27 27 THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: LINK BETWEEN WORLDS 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

11 28 NEED FOR SPEED: RIVALS PS4 EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS

31 29 BATMAN: ARKHAM ORIGINS PS3 WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE

20 30 SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD WII U NINTENDO NINTENDO

36 31 HALO 4 XB360 MICROSOFT MICROSOFT

37 32 POKEMON X 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

30 33 SKYLANDERS SWAP FORCE WII SKYLANDERS ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

39 34 SKYLANDERS SWAP FORCE XB360 SKYLANDERS ACTIVISION BLIZZARD

38 35 POKEMON Y 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

- 36 WWE 2K14 PS3 2K SPORTS TAKE 2

- 37 ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW LEAF 3DS NINTENDO NINTENDO

22 38 FORZA MOTORSPORT 5 XB ONE MICROSOFT MICROSOFT

26 39 BATTLEFIELD 4 XB ONE EA GAMES ELECTRONIC ARTS

32 40 LEGO MARVEL SUPER HEROES PS3 WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE

No Bravely Default. Not good and doesnt help the case for Japanese games like this to be localised. Hopefully the game sells really well in France and the US next year so Bravely Default sequel does come to the West.

GT6 sold 5 times less than GT5 did in its opening week. Bomba!!

Edit it seems that BD is sold out on Amazon.co.uk so the shipment must of been very low.

Edited by liger05

So Wii U gamers are not buying 3D world. PS4 is hard to find and knack is still selling better.

Why are Wii U gamers not buying it's best Game?

So Wii U gamers are not buying 3D world. PS4 is hard to find and knack is still selling better.

Why are Wii U gamers not buying it's best Game?

The UK has crap taste in games :p

Not 100% accurate but first bit of NPD news

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/us-ps4-november-sales-estimated-at-1-25m-units-66-ahead-of-xbox-one/0125546

It has been estimated that PS4 sold 66 per cent more units than Xbox One in the US in November.

Michael Pachter has said in his most recent investor note that he believes PS4 sold 1.25m consoles in the region throughout the month and that Xbox One sold 750k.

Note that PS4 was released in the US on November 15th, giving it a week more on the market than Xbox One which launched on November 22nd.

If correct, that 66 per cent margin mirrors what was seen in the UK during the console’s respective first weeks – Xbox One sold 150k units while PS4 managed 250k, a 66 per cent difference.

Pachter added that Wii U is expected to have suffered significantly as a result of the launches, with hardware sales falling 65 per cent year-on-year. Xbox 360 and PS3 sales are predicted to have fallen 44 per cent and 28 per cent respectively.

For reference the Wii U did 425k in its first month.

If Wii U is down 65% year on year then that is just brutal and puts the Wii U firmly in 6th place behind the

3DS, PS4, XB1, 360, PS3.

Edited by liger05

Not 100% accurate but first bit of NPD news

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/us-ps4-november-sales-estimated-at-1-25m-units-66-ahead-of-xbox-one/0125546

For reference the Wii U did 425k in its first month.

If Wii U is down 65% year on year then that is just brutal and puts the Wii U firmly in 6th place behind the

3DS, PS4, XB1, 360, PS3.

I wouldn't trust his predictions. I recall one instance earlier this year when his prediction of the Wii U's sales was actually half what it actually was.

I wouldn't trust his predictions. I recall one instance earlier this year when his prediction of the Wii U's sales was actually half what it actually was.

Well of course he can be wrong and many a time he has overestimated the Wii U sales but he obviously has access to some numbers. I hope his wrong on the wii u sales as that would be a hug drop year on year.

This time last year he was saying the Wii U would be sold out until March and he was way off with that.

Would be about 150k for the month which would be a disaster considering that includes Black Friday and a new Mario game being released.

Would be way below the GC in its 2nd November and below the Dreamcast.

I'm thinking during Nov/Dec as its holidays the Wii U needs to be doing 500k a month minimum.

Edited by liger05

Did anyone see much advertising for GT6 this time around? I dont watch nearly as much TV as I used to but I dont remember seeing anything on it coming up to release and had forgotten the game was even coming out until I saw Giant Bomb's Quick Look come up in their feed.

Did anyone see much advertising for GT6 this time around? I dont watch nearly as much TV as I used to but I dont remember seeing anything on it coming up to release and had forgotten the game was even coming out until I saw Giant Bomb's Quick Look come up in their feed.

I have seen some adverts. Saw it last night during the cricket. Probably not the best time to release during next gen hype but still its way down on GT5.

Well of course he can be wrong and many a time he has overestimated the Wii U sales but he obviously has access to some numbers. I hope his wrong on the wii u sales as that would be a hug drop year on year.

This time last year he was saying the Wii U would be sold out until March and he was way off with that.

Would be about 150k for the month which would be a disaster considering that includes Black Friday and a new Mario game being released.

Would be way below the GC in its 2nd November and below the Dreamcast.

I'm thinking during Nov/Dec as its holidays the Wii U needs to be doing 500k a month minimum.

If them numbers are true then Nintendo may as well pack this thing up and be done.

It will show that Mario cannot save it. So forget Mario Kart turning the tide!

Honestly if the numbers are that bad then I would be moving all Wii U projects to 3DS ASAP.

Why bother releasing big titles on Wii U when nobody actually cares. There is only so long you can keep support a dying machine.

Comes a stage where you have to accept that its just not working.

Edited by khilafah

Not a chance in hell. Sorry. Just do not see that happening.

If them numbers are true then Nintendo may as well pack this thing up and be done.

It will show that Mario cannot save it. So forget Mario Kart turning the tide!

Honestly if the numbers are that bad then I would be moving all Wii U projects to 3DS ASAP.

Why bother releasing big titles on Wii U when nobody actually cares. There is only so long you can keep support a dying machine.

Comes a stage where you have to accept that its just not working.

My problem is that I just don't care about Mario 3D World. I look at it and think 'it's a multiplayer game' but I can't get a decent multiplayer on locally these days, so it needs online for me, but it doesn't have online. I'm sure it's a good single player experience, but even that isn't enough for me - it looks/reminds me of SM3DL, which was good, but not mind blowing and I've already been there done that. I think SM3DW is just...generally unfocused in its specific market or appeal; so anyone looking for something in particular might get put off.

I still care about Mario, and feel Mario could be good, and Mario COULD do well(like super well) on the Wii U - but it needs to be fresh or focused. I'm still after something closer to what SM64 was at the time - revolutionary, groundbreaking, awe-inspiring. I'm not saying I want another SM64, but I want a number of elements it had. A nice big epic adventure that does new things, things I haven't seen or won't expect. That's what SM64 did at its time, and that's why it was great - because it broke new ground.

Well I dont where it does then as Nov/Dec are the biggest months of the year.

Going back to GTA6, this isnt the only 1st party Sony title that has under-performed. The Last of Us did really well but the rest this year not great.

My problem is that I just don't care about Mario 3D World. I look at it and think 'it's a multiplayer game' but I can't get a decent multiplayer on locally these days, so it needs online for me, but it doesn't have online. I'm sure it's a good single player experience, but even that isn't enough for me - it looks/reminds me of SM3DL, which was good, but not mind blowing and I've already been there done that. I think SM3DW is just...generally unfocused in its specific market or appeal; so anyone looking for something in particular might get put off.

I still care about Mario, and feel Mario could be good, and Mario COULD do well(like super well) on the Wii U - but it needs to be fresh or focused. I'm still after something closer to what SM64 was at the time - revolutionary, groundbreaking, awe-inspiring. I'm not saying I want another SM64, but I want a number of elements it had. A nice big epic adventure that does new things, things I haven't seen or won't expect. That's what SM64 did at its time, and that's why it was great - because it broke new ground.

If you actually gave Mario 3D World a try, went through it rather than just look from the outside, you would see that it is fresh and extremely focused

Well I dont where it does then as Nov/Dec are the biggest months of the year.

Going back to GTA6, this isnt the only 1st party Sony title that has under-performed. The Last of Us did really well but the rest this year not great.

I know but...500k? Will we make that? It's like 4.4mil LTD - will we have seen that up to 5.4mil by the end of Dec, really? 22% increase of LTD sales? I just can't believe it can quite make that, myself. It might do well, hell maybe even a good chunk of that, but I just find it hard to believe it'll hit 500k a month given its performance so far. Of course it's all speculation, but I'd easily drop some money on it.

It's got to a point now where I really do think that Nintendo should just abandon the Wii U. It's not going anywhere unfortunately.

It's got to a point now where I really do think that Nintendo should just abandon the Wii U. It's not going anywhere unfortunately.
You just bought one! ;)