NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Need For Speed Most Wanted U

Doesn't seem like racers are really made like that anymore now though.

I'd love a new racing game like Top Gear Rally on the N64..

It was AWESOME :bouncy:

I'm really looking forward to this game, adore Paradise and looking forward to how the online is implemented - hope Nintendo can learn some things from it!

I'd love a new racing game like Top Gear Rally on the N64..

It was AWESOME :bouncy:

God I LOVED that game. Amazing Amiga-esque music (Desert level in particular) and the handling was stunning. Amazing mud effects at the time if I remember correctly too.

The rally genre seems to have died a death. Shame. Keeping a close eye on Project Cars though.

Must say that the handling in this game is stunning though. The city is great to explore and the graphics are wonderful.

Heck I even loved MRC (Multi Racing Championship) on the N64, it was one of the 3 games I got with the console alongside Mario 64 and Diddy Kong Racing (I think).

That and Beetle Adventure Racing!

Dammit those days were good! :D

Yep, even though they had the draw distance of an etch-a-sketch they were just great fun.

I remember reading in NGC magazine, years ago obviously, that Criterion were massive Nintendo fans and pushed Acclaim to put Burnout 1/2 on the Gamecube. They also loved the Gamecube controller and felt that Burnout2 played best on the GC due to the great controller. (I agree!)

As this marks a return to Nintendo for them, it would be good to read how they are feeling about working back on a Nintendo console. They are also a stunning developer so I am confident they will make a brilliant port.

The guys over at Gamesradar have put up a dev demo of the Wii U version:

Looks as though Criterion are doing a great job bringing the game over. Visuals based on the PC version and definitely a step up on the 360/PS3 versions from what I can see. Also the pairing of Autolog and Miiverse sounds like a winner.

If I'd have bought a Wii U, this would definitely be on my 'to-buy' list but I haven't bought one and already have the game (which is great :D)

I'd actually held off buying the Xbox 360 version to see how this one turns out. It's looking pretty good so I think I'll have to wait for it.

I'm surprised. Never really into these kind of games, but after reading your post, Ganepark, I watched the video.

Was impressed to hear what the dev had to say. Also hearing about how they came back from their small break after the initial launch of the game, and tried out the Wii U and considered the main concepts behind the console and how best they could integrate them into their game was very nice to hear.

More Miiverse integration is always a great thing.

I might give this game a go, March release is close by too.

Wasnt bothered about this but the fact they have actually made an effort with the port and seeked to improve the game means I may just buy this now.

Here's the Dev chat with IGN, very similar obviously, but the first minute is nice to hear in terms of him being a Wii U fan...

Great to see someone putting propper effort in to a Wii U port.

Not sure if I'll pick this one up, though, the last NFS I bought was Carbon, for the Wii launch.

I'm craving a racer, so I'll get this when I buy a WiiU. Been a while since I played a racer of this type.

Holy shit, a port for a Nintendo console that isn't a gimped version of the original.

Was looking forward to this, now I'm really looking forward to it!

This and LEGO City should keep me busy during March and April, while everyone else is on Monster Hunter :heh:

But EA are out to get Nintendo because of Origin-gate... what's the deal?? :p

It's effort like this that makes me want to support a game and hope it gets great sales; I see no reason why it shouldn't. BLOPS2 better watch out - it might might getting the trade-in treatment for this!

EA may hate Nintendo, but Criterion have always been supportive of them. They worked on a gamecube Burnout 2 demo In their spare time to convince Acclaim to bring it out on the cube and it ended up being the best selling version in the US iirc. I'll pick this up along with Lego City and Monster Hunter - gonna be a busy March!

A developer that "gets" the Wii U - will wonders never cease?!!

God bless Criterion. Maybe EA aren't so bad after all letting this one out the door.. :laughing:

May double dip on this afterall. I was playing it on my PS3 the other day to give it one more shot and just found that, after (literally) 10 minutes of trying to outrun the cops, I was just so frustrated with it. The fact that you can take the cops off AND change the day/night cycles is a huge deal to me. I hate racing games at night (hate most games with a night time setting strangely) so the tweaks are really calling out to me. With no cops it may be a less stressful and more focused racer for me. I always felt they just got in the way in this game...even though the 'law' aspect was practically the basis for the game!

EA may hate Nintendo, but Criterion have always been supportive of them. They worked on a gamecube Burnout 2 demo In their spare time to convince Acclaim to bring it out on the cube and it ended up being the best selling version in the US iirc. I'll pick this up along with Lego City and Monster Hunter - gonna be a busy March!

Pretty crazy to think that this is Critereon's first game for a Nintendo console since Burnout 2 (which came out over a decade ago!)

I'm sure that they had to work on these upgrades in secret (after EA pushed the release date back inexplicably), just like how they worked on Burnout 2 GCN. It is being made by just a small handful of people by their own admission after all!

You can clearly tell that they're Nintendo fans, what with the Mii/Miiverse features and their understanding of the Iwata Asks interviews. The fact that they felt the need to put out this video themselves also gives the whole thing a bit of an air of an underground movement (and they knew that the game was being sent to die in its current state - admitting that they knew that people would rightfully see it as a lazy cash-in port)

Critereon are good folk in general. Love the Burnout games!

Has anyone here played the game on other consoles? Would anyone recommend it to a Burnout fan here? (Never been interested in the other NFS games, but I know that this one is very different - and Critereon pump out nothing but quality in general :D)

Edit: Great timing! Eurogamer just put up an interview with these guys!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-need-for-speed-most-wanted-wii-u-behind-the-scenes

Edited by Dcubed

To add to the Criterion love, I emailed them when I was a kid just asking about software development in general because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life. I didn't expect a reply from them but about two days later one of their developers replied with a massive email about it. And now, six or seven years later, I'm doing software development as a job!

So yeah, I really like Criterion.

It amuses me how popular their RenderWare engine was. You still find games with the logo and it hasn't been on sale for years.

The only problem I have with them is that you can start to see the EA rot when you look at the price of their DLC.

I for one loved the old Burnout games on the Gamecube (1 & 2), especially 2. Will be picking this up on day one. Looks like March is going to be a very expensive month.

Great looking game.

I however do find the father-son mode to be rather stupid. Hope that they've got some better use of the tablet in there as well.

I managed to play a bit of this in HMV on the 360 yesterday. Really like it, so will definitely be buying this for WiiU when I get one.

Question: How will this game differ to the other versions, considering that the WiiU pad doesn't have analogue shoulders?