N-Europe

Nintendo TVii

Retro_Link

Well. Wow - the last thing I expected from Nintendo. Apart from gingerbread powered doughnuts.

The first thing that strikes me about this services is its similarity to Google TV; trawling your DVR, internet and on demand exactly mirrors what Google are doing - or at least trying to. Bizarre how the broadcasters have jumped at this but blocked Google - I assume Nintendo are attempting not to monetise it in the same way Google are. Is this powered Google perhaps?

A little worrying that its not reaching these shores though; we have a raft of free on demand services and a robust pay-TV market. Surely its just down to contracts with the pay services? It would fit perfectly into the our marketplace from the get-go. The info-overlays are concerning though; plenty of broadcasters have started to develop this for more established devices - iPad for example; will they really want to push yet another two-screen standard?

They're probably still sorting out licenses. They'll need to look at Lovefilm, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, iTV Player, 4 on Demand, Sky Go and possibly linking it with Sky+ or Virgin Media's box.

If they can't do a combined app, then they'll be released separately.

So frustrating were not getting this. It'll come but how long? In the mean time they should release apps of Netflix, lovefilm, inlayer etc though as that will be a HUGE draw for families. But they probably think its not worth if they're in the process of doing deals for a unified service.

It will probably come out here eventually...and only with Netflix and iPlayer.

I think you can add SkySports to this, I think there's a really good chance in that happening.

Also it can work in a similar way to the Sports demonstration they gave in the NA Conference, but this time it will be used for Football or F1 for example.

Edited by -Dem0-

Since it links in to TiVo you would have thought they could reuse that code to link into Virgin Media TiVos. No idea what other TV providers exist across Europe but I think it could be messy. Would be better if they had some kind of initiative set up so the providers could help build the software.

The Premier League is massive all over the world though so all that stat stuff they were showing for the NFL would be a bigger selling point.

They're probably still sorting out licenses. They'll need to look at Lovefilm, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, iTV Player, 4 on Demand, Sky Go and possibly linking it with Sky+ or Virgin Media's box.

Hope so, it already support Tivo so shouldn't be a problem unless Virgin Media for some reason decide not to do it.

I totally expect both Sky and Virgin to get on board with this, virgin have Tivo which is obviously already partering with nintendo on this, and Sky get involved with everyone to offer there services plus are the largest pay tv provider in the uk (legally, i'm sure there are loads of chipped virgin boxes still)

A nice indepth interview going over some of the specifics behind how NintendoTVii works

http://news.cnet.com/1606-2_3-50131229.html

It's like a universal remote that can automatically detect and interface with the Cable/Satellite set-top box you're using and automatically change the source on your TV to the correct channel/input (to watch and control live TV as well as streaming video) all without any sort of built in DVR pass through!?

HOLY SHIT!!! I'VE BEEN WANTING SOMETHING LIKE THIS FOR YEARS!!!

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg

NOE!!! GET THIS OUT IN THE UK NOW AND GET IT WORKING WITH MY SKY+ HD BOX RIGHT NOW!!! :mad:

Now all it needs is the ability to stream videos from my PC in all formats and it's the ultimate media centre device! :D (apart from playing DVDs/Blurays, but if it's able to switch my TV over to my Bluray player then that solves that problem too! :) )

Edited by Dcubed

I am pretty sure that Sky and Virgin will not directly join this party. Sky is notorious for not sharing information and technical specification (Sky - we're still waiting for that CAM the EU mandated you must make) and Virgin has a competing service with TiVo. Freesat data may also be difficult to get, due to weighty technical conditions imposed on any manufacturer doing anything at all with the platform - however, I am not sure what data is sent by broadcasters on non-branded satellite boxes - it could just be Now and Next data which would prove useless - if 7 days are sent, Freesat could be a possibility. I guess Freeview data is easy to get hold of, I imagine those licenses are easy to obtain. I'm guessing that in the UK, at best, we can expect a universal remote for most TV services coupled with integrated VOD services, if any platform be fully integrated it will likely be Freeview.

Sky's now TV service may appear, alongside Netflix and LoveFilm for VOD services.

Now all it needs is the ability to stream videos from my PC in all formats and it's the ultimate media centre device! :D (apart from playing DVDs/Blurays, but if it's able to switch my TV over to my Bluray player then that solves that problem too! :) )

Wii tablet working with my ps3...hmm....:smile:

Wii tablet working with my ps3...hmm....:smile:

The GamePad can work like a normal universal remote, can't it?

So if your TV is pretty new and supports HDMI control (mine does), then the GamePad could be used to control some of the PS3's functions.

An interesting point I seen in one video was when the rep was asked who is populating all the info for TV listings and sports stats on TVii, he answered that Nintendo pays a licence for access to all these databases, so will have to do the same in Europe. They seem to be footing the bill for a lot of things including free access to game development tools. Just an observation.

• 2 months later...